AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 4 9.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 27.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 39.53%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 16.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.65%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-11, 01:08   Link #101
Reincarnated
World Inverse Creator

After watching the ep, sure Yayoi is the centre of this episode, but I get the feel that's not the reason we get the flashback. It's focused on Yayoi because she's a former musician, her surroundings are bunch of artists that are parts of antisocial community. In this episode I learned that somehow there're people who acknowledge this sybil system is a crap, just like me despising the system (because I'm an artist, I understand it's riddiculous I'm stated a criminal just because I draw)

The question is, which side are the audience? The sybil system that our MCs are in, or against the system?
With this I suspect, just like Yayoi, Akane won't against sibyl system, instead she'll kill Makishima no matter how she does.

by the way, new OP is good. the animation is not.
New ED is.. I'll wait for next episode to comment.
Old 2013-01-11, 01:29   Link #102
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
In fairness, the Dominator's weaknesses are somewhat less problematic in a society that's been unarmed. And I get the impression that almost nobody in the Japan of Psycho-Pass owns an "old-fashioned" gun (and maybe this is reflective of real world Japan?). Our deceased cyborg hunter appears to be an exception there, not the rule.

The Dominator would indeed be a HORRIBLE weapon for, say, the current NYPD. But against an unarmed populace, you typically won't have to worry about return fire, and hostage situations will likely not come up as much.

The Dominator is definitely flawed, but I can kind of see why it would be the weapon of choice in the Japan of Psycho-Pass.
Old 2013-01-11, 02:26   Link #103
Mandarake

My first post! Yay!

I don't usually do internet discussions, but this show has been so good that I am finally compelled to nerd up and say something.

The choice Yayoi was forced to make speaks volumes about the the sybil driven world. During her confinement she clung to the hope that she could rejoin society and make music with Rina again. That was all that was keeping her going. But after seeing what Rina has become, Yayoi loses all desire to return to her music. So based on what she learned from Kougami, she either becomes an enforcer or spends the rest of her life in a padded cell with nothing, absolutely nothing to look forward to.

My question is, what is Yayoi living for now that music is no longer the focus of her life? Is she now just a cynical "taker" just as Kougami described it to her? Based on what I learned about the creator of the show, the answer is probably...YES!!!

Yayoi the cold killer dike. DELICIOUS.
Old 2013-01-11, 04:54   Link #104
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Poll is still closed?
Old 2013-01-11, 05:00   Link #105
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
This episode's script wasn't written by Urobuchi Gen for the 1st time BTW (the original story draft is still his though) - scriptwriter this time is playwright Takaha Aya (for the 1st time again), it was announced that she will participate in this arcticle:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...cho-pass-songs

Previous episodes were all written by Urobuchi Gen & Fukami Makoto.
Old 2013-01-11, 05:09   Link #106
Gohan78
Awakened One

My interpretation of this episode is that Yayoi really loved music and she admired Rina as an artist. She didn't care that Rina was unauthorized, she just wanted to listen to good music. Maybe she was also attracted to her but they definitely weren't lovers (at least from the little flashback they showed us).

I don't think that jealousy was the main reason that Yayoi chose to join the Bureau.
She was disappointed that Rina chose rebellion over music. She was willing to shot her if it meant to get back Rina the artist.
We didn't get to see Rina's Crime Coefficient but I think it's fair to assume that Yayoi just wanted to stun her. She didn't know how the Dominator worked.

I don't like the new OP song very much and the visuals are terrible: just recycled scenes with a few effects. The new ED is good - I have liked Egoist since Guilty Crown - although the visuals are just still shots of the characters naked. I think that both the old OP and ED fit the series better.

P.S. Dear mods, the poll is this closed...
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2013-01-11, 06:15   Link #107
Kirarakim

I think I agree with Gohan's interpretation. It's not that Yayoi was upset Rina didn't choose her, it was that the whole carefree image of Rina only caring about music was false. Rina wasn't the person Yayoi admired in the end.

That being said I am still not sure why this would motivate her to become an enforcer. But perhaps she just realized she was never getting out of rehab otherwise.
Old 2013-01-11, 06:38   Link #108
jwai

I agree with the above analysis too. Yayoi looked up to Rina for her musical ability, but she wasn't what she thought she was, and on the inside, Yayoi is still willing to be compliant with the system.

I don't think Yayoi had any underlying motivation to go against Sibyl, but the system can arbitrarily rate individuals as dangerous by mere association.
Old 2013-01-11, 06:41   Link #109
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
I agree with goku's son too

The new opening ?

so class , love the music , way way better than the first one
Old 2013-01-11, 07:17   Link #110
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't want to wax all poetical about rock ‘n roll here, but it’s simply not a form that can be managed and sanitized in the way Sibyl seems to try and do so here – and it’s symbolic of deeper flaws in the system. No matter how much packaged corporate rock the labels spew out there’s always an underground, a place where creative energy flows in opposition to “the system”. It all boils down to what Johnny (Marlon Brando) said in the “The Wild Ones” way back in ‘53 – when asked “What are you rebelling against?” he answered “Whaddaya you got?” No matter how many holes in the damn Sibyl fills with her enforcers and detectives, the water will simply flow somewhere else looking for an outlet – it’s human nature.
Old 2013-01-11, 07:36   Link #111
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
No matter how many holes in the damn Sibyl fills with her enforcers and detectives, the water will simply flow somewhere else looking for an outlet – it’s human nature.
It would not be Sibyl to not try to control it anyway.
Old 2013-01-11, 08:19   Link #112
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

While I enjoy this episode, I am not sure if this episode is the best way to start off season 2 of the series. This episode gave much character developments to Yayoi so her fans can be pleased, but I feel the whole episode feel sorta 'filter-ish'. I was so looking forward to the ramifications from episode 11 (after a 2 weeks break no less) and I was sorta let down by that.

I also dislike the rather cliched "We are going to change the world with OUR MUSIC!!!!" thing that has been going on lots of anime. I can't explain why, but I just don't like such developments...

The negatives aside, I enjoy a closer look at the society of Psycho Pass and how screwed up it is. I am not sure if it is the creative team's intention but so far they have shown all negatives but little (if no at all) of Sybil's positive side.

Best part is definitely a look at the team before the Sasayama incident. Kougami seems like his usual self, easily 'manipulated' Yayoi into becoming an Enforcer. Sasayama seemed like a cool guy, albeit slightly trigger happy. Gino had the most changes though. Different hair style and slightly different attitude. He seemed much more friendly with the enforcers than how he is now...how much has Sasayama's death changed them all...

Anyway, it's good to have Psycho Pass back. I hope we will get back to the main storyline soon
Old 2013-01-11, 08:23   Link #113
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

Yayoi's getup during this episode...hnnngh.
Old 2013-01-11, 10:39   Link #114
garbage

Some world building and exposition nicely done with Yayoi's flashback on how she became an enforcer. I guess even then she was having this Yuri tendencies with that other vocalist or she just really liked her music ^^. What caught my eyes though is the ERNIE BALL super slinky strings whee we have the same taste in strings that's what I use!! Although i prefer the 10gauge for better tone (funny too how in the end they were showing the Ernie Ball string , the 9 gauge Yayoi ordered, but credits for the ending animation was done by a group called 10gauge)

Anyway wonder how they will tie this flashback in when the present story continues since it seems a bit disconnected.

BTW : why is the poll closed?

ADD: after reading the thread, I agree with those who say that it's more about the music than any yuri tendencies. After all all those time she was in confinement it was never shown she was agonizing about Rina, but more about her inability to play the guitar, also the reason she was continuously trying to buy those strings. If it was about Rina alone then they would have shown her agonizing about letters or lack of contact with Rina. As others have stated here I think it's more of a betrayal of her music ideals. Of course there might still be yuri undertones between Rina and Yayoi but it wont be the main reason for Yayoi's decision at the end.

Last edited by garbage; 2013-01-11 at 11:21. Reason: Additions
Old 2013-01-11, 13:12   Link #115
ookamigirl

Interesting episode. I liked this side story.
It was nice to see the prisoner's life from their point of view.
We never got to see where the apprehended ones ended up till now.
Also, the process of making/choosing Enforcers was shown as well.
Yayoi's life turned around in a flash. Going against her friend was hard.
At least she got the necessary motivation to become an Enforcer.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2013-01-11, 13:25   Link #116
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I can't say this episode had a good timing: frankly, while it was interesting, it was a tad too late as far as the world setting goes (I think it would have complemented Spooky Boogy arc quite well, due to anarchist factions being mentioned and all).
Also, it is a bit a shame they couldn't cover Yayoi more than that: her downfall of her psycho pass was skipped as if it was trivial, despite it could actually give more fleshed out material regarding sybil system as an artist.

The episode also depicts even more situation where sybil system/dominator features are way too clunky for their actual functions: way too rigid, strict and really unpractical in many situations.
Old 2013-01-11, 16:13   Link #117
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I agree with Gohan's interpretation as well and also, guys, Sybil thought she had an aptitude for police work which (at least in this story) involves being able to pull the trigger because it's the right thing to do, it shouldn't have come as that big of a surprise. On that note, it's interesting to draw a parallel between Akane and Yayoi here, both being confronted with the choice to shoot or not, choosing to shoot, and then having it not work (it's true that it ended much worse for Akane, and I also hold to the interpretation that she was trying to hit Makishima with the shotgun, but I still thought it was an interesting connection and that that's why this episode was placed where it was). And on a similar note this episode shows how hard Sasayama's death hit Ko (and how hard Ko's spiral downwards hit Gino, he actually seems just a smidge friendlier here), Ko's reluctance to wait and let the hostage's psycho-pass go over the latent criminal level reminded me a lot of how Akane wanted to wait so that the hostage in the first episode's psycho-pass went back down, yet by then he had just stopped caring. Which I guess also shows why Gino is worried about Akane going down the same path as Ko, they're even more similar than I had guessed, really hope the next episode gets back to the present (where is everyone even getting this idea that the flashback is going on for more episodes? Yayoi's arc is finished IMO, I don't see how they could justify dragging it out for another episode).
Old 2013-01-11, 22:09   Link #118
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

In any case, even I agree with some who wonder why now "arc flash-back" I'm not against it but I think it is what it is to allow to know more because after the Yayoi flashback will be much more highlighted than in the first half of the anime??
Old 2013-01-12, 02:06   Link #119
Xaturas

I hate flashbacks like that always sitting between important parts.
As for ending its from Egoist obviously its good.
After all its Ryu and his team that consit of that nico nico singer they got after doing Miku songs, you could hear them in Guilty Crown.
Old 2013-01-12, 02:56   Link #120
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't want to wax all poetical about rock ‘n roll here, but it’s simply not a form that can be managed and sanitized in the way Sibyl seems to try and do so here – and it’s symbolic of deeper flaws in the system. No matter how much packaged corporate rock the labels spew out there’s always an underground, a place where creative energy flows in opposition to “the system”

Relevant: https://soundcloud.com/themarsvolta/...ta-zed-and-two
Closed Thread