Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-05, 09:40   Link #1
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Princess Princess

プリンセス・プリンセス / Princess Princess. A manga done by Mikiyo Tsuda. (For the fans, she's THE Zaou Taishi. )

http://www.pri-pri.jp

When Kouno Tooru transferred to his new all-boys high school, he was welcomed enthusiastically... perhaps too enthusiastically. It turns out that his new school has a system where they choose beautiful/pleasant-looking boys to be princesses - where they dress themselves up prettily in order to enrich the male-dominated school life.

My thoughts: It has an outrageous plot - looks like a love it or hate it series. But it's apparently so popular, a live action show is even in the works. I'll give this a try, since the outfits are certainly mesmerizing. *gawks*

Last edited by cheesie; 2006-04-05 at 10:02.
Old 2006-04-05, 10:37   Link #2
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I'm not going to deny that Princess Princess is one of my two most anticipated shows for the spring season.* I absolutely love anything by Taishi Zaou, and the Princess Princess manga is certainly no exception. I also love Atsuko Nakajima's character art, and all of the promotional images I've seen for the Princess Princess anime series have got me slavering. Great stuff. I just hope the animation is high-quality enough to do her character designs justice.

*The other one, of course, is Ouran High School Host Club. Hm... I sense a pattern...
Old 2006-04-05, 16:41   Link #3
Friera

Send a message via MSN to Friera
Uhm, I must say I ADORE the characterdesign and that is probably why I'm really looking forward to this show. But is it shounen-ai?
Old 2006-04-05, 16:52   Link #4
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friera
Uhm, I must say I ADORE the characterdesign and that is probably why I'm really looking forward to this show. But is it shounen-ai?
No. There are some suggestive jokes, but it's definitely not BL/shounen-ai.
Old 2006-04-05, 18:26   Link #5
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

From the two pics given I was trying to determine if they were male or female before reading the post.

I guess I was wrong.

Anyhow, not quite up my alley. Per my rules I'll give it a chance though.
Old 2006-04-05, 19:29   Link #6
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Argh! Maybe I was setting myself up for disappointment, but I had a lot of complaints with how they handled the first episode. It didn't help that I watched it right after the absolutely amazing first episode of Ouran.

Firstly, they're making this into too much of a bishounen series. They should be playing up the comedy every chance they get, but they really screwed up the comedic timing and managed to deaden almost all of the jokes. I'm especially let down because Taishi Zaou's comedy is one of her huge strengths and a big part of what makes her manga so entertaining. The whole episode felt so slow; I at least expected them to finish the scene in which the student council president explains everything to the main character, but they barely started it! That piano music created the wrong atmosphere in almost every scene.

And what was with that yaoi-fied ED? I guess they'll have different EDs for each episode, since this one just had Tohru and Yuujirou...
Old 2006-04-05, 20:14   Link #7
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
No. There are some suggestive jokes, but it's definitely not BL/shounen-ai.
YEAH, RIGHT!

Did you see the ending sequence? Or the looks that the student council gave the prospective "Princess"? Or the whole student body, for that matter?

It doesn't seem to be yaoi, but it's even worse! I've never seen or read a more putyful excuse to fangirl (is this a verb?) about pretty boys. For those who haven't seen the episode: basically, this is a show aimed staight at the shounen-ai fangirl audience that gives them an opportunity to obsess about bishounen transvestites.

Whatever, this wasn't even all that pretty... 8(
Old 2006-04-05, 20:18   Link #8
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Read the post just above yours.

That's just what I didn't like about the anime adaptation. Like I said, they made it into too much of a bishounen series. There are far fewer BL undertones in the original manga, and the manga is also much more (successfully) humorous. Going by the source material, this should have turned out like the Ouran anime. But it didn't.
Old 2006-04-05, 20:22   Link #9
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Yes, well, nothing personal, you undestand. It's just that several people recomended this to me and it was WAY MORE than simply a disappointment.

To be fair, they did try to be funny about the whole premise. It's just that the humor never managed to pass through the overwelming sugary caramel facade of "ZOMG! TEH BOYLOVE!"

It was just blatant...
Old 2006-04-05, 20:24   Link #10
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I agree completely.

And did they recommend it to you before they actually watched the episode? I thought it was going to turn out well, too, so I wouldn't be too surprised if that were the case.
Old 2006-04-05, 22:01   Link #11
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

N... Nooooooo! The unbuttoned shirts, the BL-dripping suggestive poses, I never thought I'd say this, but... but WHY. ;_; You don't have to pander to the fangirls; I know the guys
Spoiler:
but you can do a decent execution with boys and frills! (I can't believe I just said that.)

I'll still give the rest of the series and cling to the hope that they'd improve the thing, because it's Zaou Taishi after all.
Old 2006-04-05, 22:18   Link #12
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
YEAH, RIGHT!
Well, it's not SUPPOSED to be. That's the problem.

Oh man, I'm really crossing my fingers it won't be as bad as what it sounds like (still trying to DL the raw). I was looking forward to this series almost as much as Ouran, and to think its been wrecked by pandering is a little depressing...
Old 2006-04-05, 22:33   Link #13
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

It's going to be all right in the next episodes; I don't even mind if the two of the three mains are yaoi-fied, but they're gonna pull it together as a whole. I know it's hard to compare to Ouran now, but maybe in that series, the anime will have its own charm and all. </optimistic>
Old 2006-04-05, 23:03   Link #14
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I can only surmise that this plan of yaoi-fy-ing more series is probably a desperate attempt to balance out with the yuri that are coming.
Old 2006-04-05, 23:18   Link #15
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

If they want BL subtext done right, then look no further than... xxxholic! Now THAT'S what I call good subtext. <3 (I'm sorry, it's just after 100 chapters of Watanuki being clueless and Doumeki not saying anything at all struck a chord in my heart. ) And it's airing in twelve hours!

As for PP, I look forward to the frills. ^_^
Old 2006-04-06, 00:35   Link #16
musouka

All right, having seen the raw, I can now formulate my own opinion.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Magus IX. The mood of the show is completely wrong, and the jokes come and go without practically any punctuation. The music made matters ten times worse. It made everything seem romantic and drama-ish, even when it wasn't supposed to. Why the hell were they playing a gentle piano piece when I'm supposed to be laughing?

At this point, the anime has taken a series that could--no, WOULD have been lighthearted and deliciously funny and turned it into exactly MrProphet claimed.

I feel bad for recommending this show to other people based on the manga.

I too will keep on going in hopes it will regain at least part of the manga's tone (or in the very least, forges a new one that isn't bad), but if it doesn't, I'll most likely drop it.

Last edited by musouka; 2006-04-06 at 01:45.
Old 2006-04-06, 02:44   Link #17
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Why the hell were they playing a gentle piano piece when I'm supposed to be laughing?
At least it's not as bad as that horrendous piano piece in Loveless that plays in dramatic moments. I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure no one sees me whenever that music piece is on.

If they are fully intent to divert away from the manga into a completely different adaptation, then I'd like to know beforehand. Granted, most of the important elements of the manga were nowhere to be found in the anime, but maybe it will have its own charm. Or maybe I'm just ridiculously optimistic about this. Because THIS is one of my most anticipated shows, and I refuse to let it sink in (not yet anyway) that the show has the potential to become a trainwreck.

Last edited by cheesie; 2006-04-06 at 03:03.
Old 2006-04-06, 03:01   Link #18
gknight
shounen ai

Send a message via ICQ to gknight Send a message via MSN to gknight
to tell you the truth from all i'm reading here the show sounds pretty interesting, i really like serious shounen ai!
btw can anyone pm me a good torrent site which has raws aswell..? ^-^"
Old 2006-04-06, 15:37   Link #19
Rin_Saber

Princess Princess Anime

I wonder when the princess princess anime comes out for subbing....i want to watch it sooooo badly...I read the manga.....funny too!!!! It was supposed to be coming out on April 5th. I wonder if any fansubs are going to sub it!!!!
Old 2006-04-06, 22:27   Link #20
domino
デレデレ

This show looks like it'll be interesting. I love plots centered around crossdressers, whether they be girls as boys or boys as girls, so this should be interesting. The artwork is extremely impressive, too. That sample image had me hooked!

I'm just hoping it won't fall into the giant hole that most anime series fall into by becoming mere eyecandy. But with the story being about crossdressers, even if it's not life changing and deep, it has the potential to be really funny. I'm addicted to comedy.
Closed Thread