AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-09-29, 15:57   Link #1
Bloodthirst

Next Gen Not Worth It At All

Ok the next gen systems are a rip off they all are over priced and the graphics are not what they say they are. I don't know about you guys I still say import ps2 in the best gaming system forget next gen i'm sticking to the computer and ps2
Bloodthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 16:16   Link #2
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

The 360 and the Wii MAY be overpriced. *ducks* I definitely don't think the PS3 is overpriced. You seem to be falling into the trap that many fell into last year: thinking that graphics for launch titles and early titles are indicative of what you can expect from the whole generation (although I've seen a ton of droolworthy games previewed lately).

The expensive price of the extra Wii controllers does seem to make what seems to be a very multiplayer oriented but visually lacking console overpriced. Admittedly, Nintendo has been clever in setting the price of the base unit low and raising controller prices. People will buy the console and realize they HAVE to buy extras for some of the promising multiplayer I've seen previewed.

The 360 requires too many extra purchases even beyond the 400 dollar version- especially if you need Wifi and want to be a part of Live.

The PS3 includes WiFi capability out of the box, a blu-ray player, and now the cheaper version has HDMI. Who cares about the premium version- you can just buy a large external harddrive. So at 500, I think the PS3 will prove to be a good value- especially considering that the PS3 will probably last longer than the other 2 consoles (not talking about success- the tech of the PS3 is built for longevity).

But I can't agree with you- next-gen is worth it and will increasingly be worth it. Just give it some time so that developers can hit their stride and you can afford their products.
Old 2006-09-29, 16:19   Link #3
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
The US$500 one will have WiFi capability?

And sorry for being clueless, but what's HDMI?
Old 2006-09-29, 16:24   Link #4
Lebron
I hear voices

pretty much the succesor to composite or compent cables, I think. Just gives really high quailty in video and audio. The real HD experience I guess

If you don't have an HDTV, you have no use for it really.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 16:50   Link #5
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron
pretty much the succesor to composite or compent cables, I think. Just gives really high quailty in video and audio. The real HD experience I guess

If you don't have an HDTV, you have no use for it really.
Yeah, but the PS3's gonna be around for a while, and HD tv's will become cheaper and more common. To get a PS3 without a HDMI port would be short-sighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST
Crap...you're right. I just checked and found to my unfortunate surprise that WiFi only comes with the 600. I've decided to wait on buying any more consoles until I've gotten through my stack of unplayed games, so I guess I'll get to see whether Sony's PS3 online system is that much more worthwhile than the pathetic ps2 setup was.
Old 2006-09-29, 16:50   Link #6
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
The 360 and the Wii MAY be overpriced.
The Wii will be overpriced?! As far as I know, it's the cheapest of all the next-gen consoles, and even though it doesn't have the best specs, it is most definitely the console that will bring the best gameplay experience. You people might not agree with me, but I prefer gameplay over graphics. Actually, I don't give a shit about graphics. I really don't care at all.

Well, since you said "May", I'll go easy on you
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 16:51   Link #7
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

HDMI is the cable hook up input for HDMI output, a requirement for 1080p resolutions, something Sony is boasting about for the PS3. Basically, not important if you don't have an HDTV or don't intend to buy one with 1080p output, which only a select few HDTVs support at the moment.

About console prices, I am content with the Wii prices; they are what they are, and I'm happy that most games will retail for $50 rather than $60 like X360. As for PS3, it may not be technically over-priced because of what it offers for $600, but it is still expensive for a videogame console. No word on PS3 game prices yet, however, Japanese game prices for the system convert to roughly $75 to $85. Again, this is the yen price converted, the USD retail price hasn't announced yet.
Old 2006-09-29, 16:53   Link #8
Tmoo
Furry Squirrel

the older tv generation is dying anyway, the ps3's HDMI will be useful in the longrun
Tmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 17:02   Link #9
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST
As far as I can tell, that was never announced. The difference between the two SKUs is supposed to be hard drive size, memory card slots (for cameras, etc.), and WiFi. Of course, they point out, all that stuff can be added through USB as well.

As for me... I'm not much of a gamer compared to what I was when last gen began (blame anime! ). So, although I'll probably end up getting all three consoles at some point, the only one that really has me excited about videogames again is the Wii - I'm ready for something different. It's my sure-buy at launch. Eventually, though, I'm sure I'll get them all, as I did with this past generation of consoles, as they each have games that I'll want to play regardless.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 17:02   Link #10
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoo
the older tv generation is dying anyway, the ps3's HDMI will be useful in the longrun

No doubt, HDTVs are phasing in as Standard def TVs (SDTVs) are phasing out. However, it probably won't be until 2-3 years before HDTVs start to really take off, and it will probably be the end of this new generation before HDTVs are the market standard for TVs.
Old 2006-09-29, 17:11   Link #11
Tmoo
Furry Squirrel

it's still a nice addition to the system, and it isn't as if HDMI reduces the quality on standard def TV's.
Old 2006-09-29, 17:20   Link #12
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
The Wii will be overpriced?! As far as I know, it's the cheapest of all the next-gen consoles, and even though it doesn't have the best specs, it is most definitely the console that will bring the best gameplay experience. You people might not agree with me, but I prefer gameplay over graphics. Actually, I don't give a shit about graphics. I really don't care at all.

Well, since you said "May", I'll go easy on you
Notice I said what I did because of controller prices. The 360 and the PS3 probably won't merit more than 1-2 controllers for me. The Wii, however, screams lots of people in a living room. For a Wii and 3 extra controlllers, the cost is 430...that's a bit high for a console that isn't gonna look much better than the gamecube. Don't get me wrong- I'll definitely be buying one. However, I don't think it's the cheap alternative that it was built to be up until earlier this month.
Old 2006-09-29, 17:22   Link #13
Tmoo
Furry Squirrel

that's nintendo's marketing strategy. 250-something for the console, another 200 for the controllers.
Old 2006-09-29, 17:22   Link #14
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
No doubt, HDTVs are phasing in as Standard def TVs (SDTVs) are phasing out. However, it probably won't be until 2-3 years before HDTVs start to really take off, and it will probably be the end of this new generation before HDTVs are the market standard for TVs.
I think I read an interview with Hirai or Kutaragi where they said they expect the life of the PS3 to be something like 7-10 years. I can see HD-TV's being standard and relaxed by that time...easy.
Old 2006-09-29, 17:36   Link #15
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Wii: Party system.
X360: shitty system.
PS3: Final Fantasy system.

Do you plan on having parties every day? No? Then don't buy the Wii. Its games are only good in multiplayer.
X360 is already out and is NOT some ZOMFG great system.
PS3 from what I see of FFXIII is drop-dead amazing, and the graphics are nothing short of gorgeous.
Old 2006-09-29, 17:58   Link #16
Lebron
I hear voices

Quote:
I think I read an interview with Hirai or Kutaragi where they said they expect the life of the PS3 to be something like 7-10 years. I can see HD-TV's being standard and relaxed by that time...easy.
Yea they stated that at their E3 conf. They pumped alot of money into PS3 and into Blu-Ray this time around. Its kind of weird doh that it will have such a life-span doh seeing how you know MS and Nintendo will release newer consoles in about 4-5 years from now.

Owell I gots my HDTV and my 360, will get Wii and PS3 eventually aswell. No worries, should see some good graphics from both 360 and PS3, and hopefully ground breaking gameplay from the Wii.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-29, 18:11   Link #17
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
Wii: Party system.
X360: shitty system.
PS3: Final Fantasy system.

Do you plan on having parties every day? No? Then don't buy the Wii. Its games are only good in multiplayer.
X360 is already out and is NOT some ZOMFG great system.
PS3 from what I see of FFXIII is drop-dead amazing, and the graphics are nothing short of gorgeous.

Hehe, such bias.

Wii will have a lot of good single player games, and wifi play.
X360 has good support and some big franchises.
And you are wrong. FF XIII is the right hand man. MGS 4 is the king of the PS3 hill at the moment.
Old 2006-09-29, 18:13   Link #18
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
*NOTE* The following statement has been written by a PS3 fanboy and ardent Microsoft hater. As such any comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

I for one am psyched for the PS3. Is it going to be expensive? Yes. Will it be worth it? Definatly, if you have an HDTV. If you don't have an HD capable TV you should be looking into the Wii, it will satisfy your gaming needs. Anyone with an HDTV should without a doubt buy a PS3, simply for the Blu-Ray movies if nothing else.
I'v played my friends 360 and was less than impressed. Granted it was on a regular definition TV, but still the graphics weren't that much better than an Xbox. And having to pay monthly to play games on-line? Screw that. I'm already paying for my internet access, now I have to pay more to do something with it? No thanks.
Oh and the Xbox controllers suck.

Another thing to consider for how expensive the PS3 is: Sony won't be making any money at all off of console sales, they will actually be losing money on every sale. The same is true of every console, the money is made off of game sales.
Old 2006-09-29, 18:23   Link #19
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
As for me... I'm not much of a gamer compared to what I was when last gen began (blame anime! ). So, although I'll probably end up getting all three consoles at some point, the only one that really has me excited about videogames again is the Wii - I'm ready for something different. It's my sure-buy at launch. Eventually, though, I'm sure I'll get them all, as I did with this past generation of consoles, as they each have games that I'll want to play regardless.
I'm not gonna buy either of 'em at launch. Perhaps Nintendo's Wii since Nintendo has -never- had any hardware problems, at least to my knowledge, but else, I don't want to be Sony's beta tester.

As for the Wii...well, honestly, the games I care about are Disgaea (or any NIS games really), Suikoden, Pro Evo Soccer, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, the KoF series, among many others I can't think of right now...Wii will have nice games such as Twilight Princess but I doubt it'll have many, many of the ones I want.

So, no offense to any Sony fans - I have both a PSX and a PS2, and I love them to death, but I'm hoping that the PS3 won't do too well at first, so that we'll have either a price drop, or the third party support I care about will go to the more affordable Wii.

If I do get a PS3 though, it'd surely be the version that includes WiFi. I'd not get one without that as it'd be a huge loss.
Old 2006-09-29, 18:23   Link #20
Alchemar

Quote:
The 360 and the Wii MAY be overpriced. *ducks* I definitely don't think the PS3 is overpriced.
This is possibly the funniest thing I've ever read.
Alchemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console