AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-02-18, 16:42   Link #101
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
After watching that small "trailer" I don't get if those movies are supposed to be a sort of recap or if they're going to contain some new original content. New characters? New machine? New story?

Eh?
The first 3 movies would be a recap of the old TV series with new animation and several additional characters, while the 4th film would be a 45-minute original story.

I don't know how are they tying it all together. With Anno, it's best not to dwell on these things.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 07:43   Link #102
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

All we can do now is hope.

I hope these guys have enlisted the aid of KyoAni ...
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 09:18   Link #103
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
I hope these guys have enlisted the aid of KyoAni ...
Oh man, I seriously do not hope so.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 05:10   Link #104
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Why? *words to allow the post*
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 05:27   Link #105
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno's Crack Statement on Eva Movies, courtesy of ANN

On February 17th, Shin Seiki Evangelion (Neon Genesis Evangelion) creator Anno Hideaki made a statement in the form of a movie poster that appeared in theatres all over Japan. The announcement was also posted on the new Evangelion movie and Yahoo! Japan portal sites for the film, which also launched on Friday.

A translation of the entire announcement is as follows:

Many different desires are motivating us to create the new "Evangelion" film.

The desire to portray my sincere feelings on film.
The desire to share, with an audience, the embodiment of image, the diversity of expressions, and the detailed portrayal of emotions that animation offers.
The desire to connect today's exhausted Japanese animation [industry] to the future.
The desire to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime.

The desire to support the strength of heart that exists in the world.

Finally, the desire to have these wishes be realized.

For these purposes, we used the best methods available to us to make another Evangelion film.
Many times we wondered, "It's a title that's more than 10 years old. Why now?"
"Eva is too old", we felt.
However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime newer than Eva.

Specifically, among the stagnant mood of the present day, it is the portrayal of will - not technology - that is most important.
To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.
When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.

As the creator of this project, [I assure you that] a very new-feeling Evangelion world has beeen constructed.
For this purpose, we are not returning to our roots at Gainax. I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again.
Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future.
Thankfully, we have gathered staff from the old series, new staff, and many other fantastic staff to work on this series.
We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

”Eva" is a story that repeats.
It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little.
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.
We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story.

In closing, it is also our job to provide a service to our customers.
Although it seems obvious, we aim to create a form of entertainment that anyone can look forward to; one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to, one that can engage audiences as a movie for theatres, and one that produces a new understanding of the world.

This fall, we hope you can join us.

Creator/General Director, Anno Hideaki
Original link here~

I'm sorry, but Anno must be smoking crack during half of this whole thing. The desire to support the strength of heart that exists in the world. I LOLed. He sounds like he's speaking from a manga or something.

Not to mention he sounds extremely elitist, making it sound like Evangelion is the greatest thing ever since...ever. No anime newer than Eva? He's asking for more death threats, it seems.

Anyway, if you ignore the fact that the announcement sounds like.....*insert eiriely dangerous word that cannot be comprehended, ala Anno*, that is one of the best laughs I've got all week.

Well, at least Anno is making it sound like Shinji will be 10 times less of a wuss than he is in the original.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 05:32   Link #106
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
The first 3 movies would be a recap of the old TV series with new animation and several additional characters, while the 4th film would be a 45-minute original story.

I don't know how are they tying it all together. With Anno, it's best not to dwell on these things.
That's not really the case, unless you consider the RahXephon movie to be a "recap of the TV series". While they might be using TV footage in the first 3 parts, the entire project is a new story. The script will be completely different and scenes might or might not mean the same thing at all.

The only reason they're using TV footage is because in reality, Anno just doesn't want to spend that much money on this cash-in #374628, because that would defeat the purpose of it being a cash-in.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 06:06   Link #107
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

Well, at least Anno is making it sound like Shinji will be 10 times less of a wuss than he is in the original.

THAT, by itself, is too much of a miracle to hope for ... Actually, screw new story and characters, if THAT really does happen, it's all the reason I need to watch the movies...

(Unless they suddenly announce that they're bring in Mana to the story, then the deal is really seal! )
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 08:03   Link #108
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
This is sounding more and more like official, sanctioned, animated fanfiction/doujinshi.
Old 2007-02-22, 10:44   Link #109
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
That's not really the case, unless you consider the RahXephon movie to be a "recap of the TV series". While they might be using TV footage in the first 3 parts, the entire project is a new story. The script will be completely different and scenes might or might not mean the same thing at all.

The only reason they're using TV footage is because in reality, Anno just doesn't want to spend that much money on this cash-in #374628, because that would defeat the purpose of it being a cash-in.
RahXephon Pluralitas Concentio has the same plot as RahXephon TV, but the story is told from Haruka's point of view, instead of Ayato's. The only thing that is different is the ending. The same way that episodes 25-26 of NGE differs from End of Evangelion.

As far as I understand Anno's intensions right now, he is planning to tell the same story, but infuse it with new elements (like a new character) and then, at some point, go into a different direction with the ending.

Additionally, I don't know if they'll be using the same footage. There's been a lot of talk about using new technologies, so, at least part of the animation would be redone the same way that Tomino redid Zeta Gundam, infusing it with 3DCG and more "cinematic" animation.

Gainax, of course, claims that they are not doing the same thing Tomino did, but I don't believe them. They just want to avoid the "recap" label, while in reality, it will be a recap with only minimal amounts of new material for the 4th movie. It's all marketing.
Old 2007-02-22, 10:52   Link #110
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

......I love to see Anno's face when his revised EVA movies failed to break records set by Toki wo Kakeru Shojo.

Didn't he just brushed aside facts when asked about Haruhi sometime back saying things like "Haruhi and EVA are two totally different genre" ?
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 12:39   Link #111
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
RahXephon Pluralitas Concentio has the same plot as RahXephon TV, but the story is told from Haruka's point of view, instead of Ayato's. The only thing that is different is the ending. The same way that episodes 25-26 of NGE differs from End of Evangelion.
I would argue that the entire plot is completely different. There are many scenes that are the same, but the overall story is completely different. The nature of the RahXephon, the various factions, the character motivations and events were completely different. All the core mythology and nature of many mysteries are different in the movie and the TV series, and they cannot be in any sense be considered the same continuity as the TV series. It's not just another "point of view".

As for the technical aspects of the new Eva movies, from what I've read in interviews, what they're doing is digitally scanning all the original cels and backgrounds, and constructing the new movies digitally but with tons of modifications. New backgrounds, different scenes using the same character cels, the same scenes with new characters and details added in, etc.

It's definitely not going to be like the Zeta movies. The script and storyboards are being done from scratch and apparently the Eva action scenes are going to use some brand new 3DCG effects. The funny thing about discussing the RX movie is that Kyoda himself is working on storyboards for the first new Eva movie.
Old 2007-02-22, 13:34   Link #112
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
The script and storyboards are being done from scratch and apparently the Eva action scenes are going to use some brand new 3DCG effects.
This is what I call a whole lot of Gainax PR bullcrap.

All we have are Gainax promises and a poster of Rei, Asuka, Shinji and Kaworu that weren't even drawn by Sadamoto!!

Come on, how many times are they going to sell us a "completely revamped, remastered and reanimated" version Evangelion before we stop believing the hype?! Gainax are the masters of selling the Brooklyn Bridge, so don't fall for it before you actually see it.
Old 2007-02-22, 13:49   Link #113
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
This is what I call a whole lot of Gainax PR bullcrap.

All we have are Gainax promises and a poster of Rei, Asuka, Shinji and Kaworu that weren't even drawn by Sadamoto!!

Come on, how many times are they going to sell us a "completely revamped, remastered and reanimated" version Evangelion before we stop believing the hype?! Gainax are the masters of selling the Brooklyn Bridge, so don't fall for it before you actually see it.
Well they actually hired a VFX expert (Shinji Higuchi)to direct the new CG sequences, so that's not bullcrap. But for everything else, you're probably right. I mean look at that new "teaser" they just released.... lol
Old 2007-02-22, 14:00   Link #114
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Well, Higuchi is a Gainax old-timer and they probably wanted to retain most of the old team.

I think that they will try to create a suped-up version of the old footage that will the retain most of the original scene layouts (storyboarding, at least) with liberal usage of realistically-textured 3DCG for the EVAs and other inanimate objects.

Of course, for most NGE fanboys even a change as subtle as Rei saying "Etoo" instead of "Anoo" is akin to a revelation from God, so perhaps even that would be more than enough. 8)
Old 2007-02-22, 14:11   Link #115
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Why? *words to allow the post*
Because there are much better animation studios than them? IG will probably work with them, they already did with both Evangelion movies and FLCL, which are still some of the graphically best anime features to date.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 15:34   Link #116
Giroppon
xxx

ticket.

Giroppon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-28, 16:37   Link #117
flou
That's no lady

The "You are (not) alone" thing reminds me of "Schrödinger's cat is (not) dead"
flou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 13:18   Link #118
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Saw this on 2chan and try as I might, I can't recall where exactly did it come from (especially if it's part of the Director's Cut edition). Maybe someone could enlighten me on whether it is part of the old series (and where does it take place), fanmade or if it's part of the new footage/teasers?

It's been a while since I watched my NGE DVDs, so my memories of the series are a bit rusty and dusty...
Old 2007-05-05, 15:23   Link #119
Kisuke06
I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Saw this on 2chan and try as I might, I can't recall where exactly did it come from (especially if it's part of the Director's Cut edition). Maybe someone could enlighten me on whether it is part of the old series (and where does it take place), fanmade or if it's part of the new footage/teasers?

It's been a while since I watched my NGE DVDs, so my memories of the series are a bit rusty and dusty...
I believe it's fan made. I have watched the director's cut but, if I remember correctly, that shield is only used at episode 3.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 16:11   Link #120
Mischala

Send a message via MSN to Mischala
i only saw the anime a very short time ago, i would love to see a new series... maby a less confuseing one, with non-psycho characters maby?
Mischala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie, remake