AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2011-09-14, 23:12   Link #1
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

High-10 Video Issues

I'm running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 laptop with the latest nVidia driver for NVS 400M. It's a Lenovo R61 with 2.4 GHz and 4 GB of DDR2 RAM. I'm using MPC-HC to try and run a High-10 1080p mkv file on a 1280 x 800 screen. The file uses AVC and AC-3 codecs. I have CoreAVC 2.5.5 Pro installed. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with the OP of the file. If CoreAVC is turned off, the video lags. If CoreAVC is turned on, I get artifacts.

Stranger still, I noticed that the video lags severely (even with CoreAVC on) if my Firefox 6 isn't running.

Anyone have ideas on how to resolve this? Should I try running an x64 codec pack instead?
Old 2011-09-15, 00:10   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

CoreAVC 2.5.5 does not support Hi10. It does not support Hi10 until 3.0.

At this time the best support for Hi10 is with CCCP. That's the only "codec pack" that I can ever recommend to not screw up your system and the best support for Hi10, so I really hope your system can run Hi10 with its help.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2011-09-15, 00:13   Link #3
sneaker

CoreAVC 2.x does not support Hi10p, neither in software nor in hardware (CUDA/DXVA) mode. Don't bother buying CoreAVC 3.x, because current hardware does not support hi10p decoding and in software mode it's not faster than its free competitors.
Download newest CCCP or try LAV Video.

/edit:
argh, too slow.
Old 2011-09-15, 00:18   Link #4
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

It's interesting how often a question can sit unanswered for an hour and then two people answer it within 3 minutes of each other.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2011-09-15, 02:10   Link #5
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Oh wow, of all things, I didn't say that I'm running MPC-HC off of the latest CCCP. Should I try uninstalling CoreAVC, and then running the file again?

What's even the point of High-10 anyway? Today was the first that I'd even heard of it, and it's only supposed to be a couple months old.
Old 2011-09-15, 02:17   Link #6
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I was afraid of that. Go into the CCCP Settings program. On the first page you have an option for "CoreAVC" uncheck that. Above that for ffdshow video decoders, check the box that says "H.264/AVC". That will keep CoreAVC from being used without needing to uninstall it.

If that doesn't do the job, you could try scanning for spyware and ensure that your laptop isn't wasting resources. You could try LAV Video as sneaker suggests. It is possible that will run better on your machine. I've seen stranger things happen on Windows 7. It's massively weird that running Firefox will reduce lag -- I have no idea what to make of that.

If none of that works, then you are probably stuck with two choices: avoid hi10 or get a new computer. I suggest the later since your laptop is pretty out of date, but your finances might not agree with me.

Old 2011-09-15, 02:19   Link #7
EroKing

Either get the latest CCCP or if you want to play with MPC-HC follow this guide.

http://coalgirls.wakku.to/?page_id=4611
Old 2011-09-15, 07:08   Link #8
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
well coreAVC 3.0.1 is available quite a time ago if you want to buy...
Old 2011-09-15, 10:58   Link #9
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
well coreAVC 3.0.1 is available quite a time ago if you want to buy...
Yes, but its hi10p decoding is actually slower than ffdshow's. And hi10p cannot be decoded with hardware acceleration at the moment.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2011-09-15, 15:28   Link #10
cyberbeing

What TheFluff said is very true, for the time being LAV Video in particular is considerably faster then CoreAVC 3.0.1 decoding hi10p. They claim to be hard at work coding new optimized assembly to make CoreAVC 3 faster than libav/ffmpeg solutions with hi10p in a near-future 3.0.x release, but until (if?) that actually comes to fruition or you feel generous enough to finance their endeavor, you'd be smart to hold off on the upgrade.
Old 2011-09-15, 18:11   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For you Linux folks in the audience, the current build of mplayer seems to handle hi10 correctly. On Ubuntu, I installed the mplayer-daily PPA and updated mplayer with
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:motumedia/mplayer-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mplayer
I tested using an episode of [Coalgirls] Yuruyuri release. It would not play correctly using the current release (3/24/2011) of mplayer2 built from source. However it played fine with the daily-build version of mplayer and the xv and gl2 drivers. I didn't try all the drivers, though it does crash VDPAU on NVIDIA, supporting TheFluff's observation about hardware decoding.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-09-15 at 18:21.
Old 2011-09-15, 23:09   Link #12
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

VLC 2.2 and above is the simplest method of getting Hi10p working.

Or you can download 8bit, not much difference in quality.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2011-09-16, 00:13   Link #13
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Fastest solution I've found so far is the the July 30th CCCP with output set to overlay mixer in the MPC-HC options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Either get the latest CCCP or if you want to play with MPC-HC follow this guide.

http://coalgirls.wakku.to/?page_id=4611
I actually tried the MadVR setup listed there but it was substantially slower on my Thinkpad X120e test machine than CCCP using EVR, let alone overlay mixer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
What's even the point of High-10 anyway? Today was the first that I'd even heard of it, and it's only supposed to be a couple months old.
Gets rid of banding artifacts and allows for smaller filesizes. Both of which I consider worthy goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
What TheFluff said is very true, for the time being LAV Video in particular is considerably faster then CoreAVC 3.0.1 decoding hi10p. They claim to be hard at work coding new optimized assembly to make CoreAVC 3 faster than libav/ffmpeg solutions with hi10p in a near-future 3.0.x release, but until (if?) that actually comes to fruition or you feel generous enough to finance their endeavor, you'd be smart to hold off on the upgrade.
I'm really hoping the faster CoreAVC Hi10P performance pans out, my desktops can at least play the 720P Hi10P stuff fine (and I seldom bother with 1080P stuff), but many of them choke my Thinkpad x120E's AMD E-350 CPU - and hooking the desktop up to my HDTV takes a lot longer than hooking up the Thinkpad.

I tried some Mplayer stuff too because I'd heard its subtitle renderer is far faster than the CCCP one and I figured that might free up some CPU for Hi10 decoding, but in my experience it was also slower than CCCP at Hi10 on the Thinkpad. Not sure if I could get a better result if I knew more about builds, settings, etc., I'm pretty inexperienced with MPlayer.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-09-16, 04:49   Link #14
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I didn't try all the drivers, though it does crash VDPAU on NVIDIA, supporting TheFluff's observation about hardware decoding.
Using other drivers wouldn't have helped. Hardware accelerated video decoding isn't done with shader code that runs on the actual GPU core; it's done with a small, dumb and extremely limited video decoder chip that just happens to be sitting on your video card. No video card currently in existence has a video decoder ASIC that supports decoding high bitdepth video. Thus, in order to get hardware accelerated 10-bit decoding you must first wait until graphics cards that features such ASIC's are released, and then buy and install one.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2011-09-16, 07:17   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I tried some Mplayer stuff too because I'd heard its subtitle renderer is far faster than the CCCP one
The mplayer team recommends this third-party build for Windows. In the past rvm released the best Windows builds and packaged them with the excellent smplayer GUI. You can still use smplayer with other builds, of course. Just download only the GUI here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Using other drivers wouldn't have helped.... No video card currently in existence has a video decoder ASIC that supports decoding high bitdepth video.
I meant the wide array of other video drivers that come with Linux mplayer, like the ones that use OpenGL. The standard "xv" driver works fine. I understand that current graphics cards don't have the hardware to decode hi10 and thus won't work with things like VDPAU.
Old 2011-09-16, 07:58   Link #16
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I meant the wide array of other video drivers that come with Linux mplayer, like the ones that use OpenGL. The standard "xv" driver works fine. I understand that current graphics cards don't have the hardware to decode hi10 and thus won't work with things like VDPAU.
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying there.

Old 2011-09-16, 20:52   Link #17
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno
...Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with the OP of the file.
Without CoreAVC, what performance difference do you see when you play the video with the subtitles disabled? ...Noted specifically, scenes where karaoke subtitle effects are in use. From what I have seen of MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer and vsfilter under WinXP, they are terribly inefficient. The only working solution for Hi10p video playback, was to use SMPlayer with mplayer2.
Old 2011-09-17, 01:33   Link #18
sa547
*Author

Just when I was planning on buying new upgrades for my PC (2004-era hardware can't play today's big-res MKVs, hence the upgrade), here comes this encoding I never heard of before. In that case, looks like I'll have to read the fine print before downloading until such time there's ample hardware and software support.
Old 2011-09-17, 02:06   Link #19
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
VLC 2.2 and above is the simplest method of getting Hi10p working.

Or you can download 8bit, not much difference in quality.
Where can I find this 2.2 version?
Old 2011-09-17, 02:45   Link #20
sneaker

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/last/ (He meant 1.2)