AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-11-09, 19:28   Link #81
Vladrave
The Dark Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
It depends on how you criticize.... I learned my lessons..

Non sense criticism can either make them laugh or hate you....
Well, yeah but everybody has a right to criticize something. It's a fact of life that we need to deal with. We all don't like the same thing because if we all does, we will be dull as robots

Now i'm gonna admit this, i don't like SAO. I only watch it because it's fun to criticize its flaws and how is the ending will be and finally, give my final verdict. Now i'm not hating on SAO or anything like that because i do, 60% of people in MAL won't give me a break
Vladrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 20:34   Link #82
NK_500
Disabled By Request

I had this with High School of the Dead and Kuroshitsuji. HSotD is the closest anime adaptation to Hollywood zombie apocalypse flicks and Kuro have dark Victorian England setting but at the end I hated both with passion.

Both wasted their potential and degenerate into fanservice fiesta. HSotD is for guys and Kuro is for girls. Maybe "it will better soon" mentality that forced me to to finish those shows despite having big red flag which it will not going to happen.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 22:37   Link #83
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
It depends on how you criticize.... I learned my lessons..
Yep, it depends on how you criticize. From what i know though, some critics tend to be offensive when they're just complaining and nitpicking every single thing and pat each other on the back, which is highly annoying.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 00:25   Link #84
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I think heavy cynics aren't always a bad thing either; they value different things and can often tell the best quality from the average things that suck people in. Their information is quite good for finding gems in the rough you'd never even think of looking at.

Bringing back my 7-episode rule, I'm glad I follow this. This season, Little Busters!, Shin Sekai Yori, Robotics;Notes, K and Hayate no Gotoku: Can't Take My Eyes Off You are all series I didn't quickly get into, but around this 5-7 episode range, they're starting to get me a little more interested. Had I used a 3 or 5 episode rule, half of these would be gone already.
Old 2012-11-12, 13:24   Link #85
Metaler

If you're going to watch a series already imagining that it's going to be bad then you shouldn't watch it at all.

So to all of you out there who are too cynical and bitter to enjoy yourselves: stop hating. Stop looking only at the bad side of things. Stop accentuating the negative. Focus on what's good. Focus on the simple things, the essence of things. Stop trying to actively find fault with everything you see. Just enjoy yourselves. That's what matters. And if anyone calls you an idiot for liking something that they see as stupid, you say "fuck it" and then walk away.
Old 2012-11-12, 13:30   Link #86
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaler View Post
If you're going to watch a series already imagining that it's going to be bad then you shouldn't watch it at all.

So to all of you out there who are too cynical and bitter to enjoy yourselves: stop hating. Stop looking only at the bad side of things. Stop accentuating the negative. Focus on what's good. Focus on the simple things, the essence of things. Stop trying to actively find fault with everything you see. Just enjoy yourselves. That's what matters. And if anyone calls you an idiot for liking something that they see as stupid, you say "fuck it" and then walk away.
I only wish more people would follow this paradigm. The only people who really have an obligation to watch everything are professional critics The rest of us have options to step back from things that do not interest us. That said, having a small group of people that watch everything and discuss it saves us a bit of trouble in choosing what we wish to watch or not
Old 2012-11-12, 16:43   Link #87
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:

I agree that one shouldn't watch a show and assume it's dead on arrival but I can't really approach anything like that. Focusing on only the good and simple seems to me like turning off one's brain, and to me, entertainment can't work like that.

Going into a show refusing to change your mind that a show can be good and thinking it must be bad is also turning off your brain. Thus a lot of haters are just as dumb. (except me- duh! ).There is no reason to watch a series week after week for 53 episodes just to repeat the same thing over.The same goes the other around, and I'd rather not commit to either.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 20:24   Link #88
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Hell no! If I did that, I would miss out on cool stuff like California Crisis or Rio Rainbow Gate or Aquarion EVOL (whoever says those are bad are WRONG ). With that said, if I absolutely hate the first episode (Ano Natsu de Matteru) and know what direction the show will go, then I quit.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 20:29   Link #89
Metaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I agree that one shouldn't watch a show and assume it's dead on arrival but I can't really approach anything like that. Focusing on only the good and simple seems to me like turning off one's brain, and to me, entertainment can't work like that.

Going into a show refusing to change your mind that a show can be good and thinking it must be bad is also turning off your brain. Thus a lot of haters are just as dumb. (except me- duh! ).There is no reason to watch a series week after week for 53 episodes just to repeat the same thing over.The same goes the other around, and I'd rather not commit to either.
I'm not saying that you should just look at the positive aspects. Just saying you should give them more credit. My post goes specifically to those who are too cynical to do that.

Think of it like dating: if you observe only the negative aspects of your partner, you'll probably get dumped. Similarly, if you only look at the positive characteristics, then you'll end up losing sight of reality, and you'll idolize your partner to the point where they won't be able to shoulder all the praise... And you'll get dumped too.

So there must be a balance. By acknowledging both good things and bad things we will be able to enjoy fictional works to their fullest.

Just remember: be true to yourself. Don't start disliking something just because someone who seems more intelligent than you says it's bad and you're an idiot for liking it. When this happens, just do it like The Dude.
Old 2012-11-12, 20:58   Link #90
hyl
reading #hikaributts

If people dropped Code Geass R2 due cynicism, then they would have missed the unintentional hilarious story and decent ending.
Not just R2 , but other series like Guilty Crown and Aquarion Evol still have a few good moments, despite that those shows are generally disliked.

I am just saying that you can enjoy shows that you don't like, but in a different way just like how internet critics (like the somewhat popular Angry Video Game Nerd or Nostalgia Critic) are ranting about bad tv shows, games and movies.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-11-12 at 21:09.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 22:30   Link #91
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:

I disagree.

In this time where it is more likely than ever for a person to turn a blind eye on the "questionable" things in a particular anime series, we need haters to make us reconsider our choice of having this anime series as perfect and flawless.

Of course, listening to those haters is your own personal choice.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 10:03   Link #92
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I disagree.

In this time where it is more likely than ever for a person to turn a blind eye on the "questionable" things in a particular anime series, we need haters to make us reconsider our choice of having this anime series as perfect and flawless.

Of course, listening to those haters is your own personal choice.
It's at times like this that I feel like quoting AKB0048 episode 6

Quote:
That's right,the haters show you what you're missing....What you don't notice because it's out of sight.If my dancing sucks then I'll practice longuer and harder than everyone else.If they say I'm wishy washi then I'll hold my head high from now on.
The haters scare me,but in a way they're kind
Old 2012-11-13, 12:05   Link #93
Metaler

I just can't comprehend how a hater's mind works. I can't understand why anyone would actively look for the negative side of things. How can you be happy with this kind of mentality? I just don't get it. There's nothing wrong with liking something. Being a hater's not going to make you any smarter or anything. I can't see any benefits from it. For me, haters end up sad, sad people who can't enjoy themselves no matter how hard they try. It's a sad figure of a person desperate to be superior in the eyes of many. A futile attempt, I'd say, for this will only create needless conflicts. If we accept each other's tastes, then there's no need to hate. But of course, that's asking for the impossible.
Old 2012-11-13, 12:30   Link #94
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
I just can't comprehend how a hater's mind works. I can't understand why anyone would actively look for the negative side of things. How can you be happy with this kind of mentality?
They get happy looking for negatives.

Quote:
I just don't get it. There's nothing wrong with liking something.
Nor is there anything wrong with hating something. It just gets annoying for everyone else, though the same could be applied to liking something in a group of predominantly haters of it (i.e. annoying bronies that sing endless praise to mlp)

Quote:
Being a hater's not going to make you any smarter or anything.
It makes them feel smarter.

Quote:
I can't see any benefits from it. For me, haters end up sad, sad people who can't enjoy themselves no matter how hard they try.
They enjoy themselves by faking disenjoyment

Quote:
It's a sad figure of a person desperate to be superior in the eyes of many.
Yeah.

Quote:
But of course, that's asking for the impossible.
QFT
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 12:33   Link #95
Metaler

^ Pray tell, explain to me the logic behind being happy through hatred.
Old 2012-11-13, 12:47   Link #96
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I kind of understand your point Metaler, but I hope you understand the difference between hate for the sake of hating and the righteous anger of a spectator that feels he's been robbed of his time and money by being shown a half-assed work.

Criticism is important, and the attitude of trying to look for the good sides and minimize the bad ones might be good for the single individual, but it's not good for art in general.

Let's say that everyone does like you suggest, nobody criticizes anything anymore. Bad animation? Plot holes? Total lack of originality? Recycled soundtrack and frames? Ridiculous story? Inconclusive endings?

Sometimes these things do not completely nullify the worth of a work, but if nobody points out these flaws, nobody will be motivated to try and avoid them and do better. Likewise an author that tries his best to create a masterwork might feel that his hard work and dedication to details went absolutely unrecognized if in the end people don't mind either way.

It is an undeniable fact that doing things with care is more costly in term of money, time and dedication. If all that people need is their weekly dose of moeblob or bishie, then the animation companies will stop caring about anything else.

And that's why criticism, when constructive, is important. If there are flaws, it is better to notice them and point them out. The more are the people that do that, the higher is the chance that the artists and the producers will hear about those issue and that they'll try to avoid them in the future.

So while I'm against the obnoxious attitude of those who just want people to "stop liking what they don't like", I'm also against the idea that people should refrain from criticizing what in their opinion is bad art.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 12:53   Link #97
Metaler

^ No, I'm just saying that there needs to be a balance. We have to pay attention to both the good sides AND bad sides. If we only pay attention exclusively to one of them, we'll be brain dead.

So my idea goes specifically to haters who actively try to hate, is all. Similarly, I'd say the same thing about fans who think they're favorite work is flawless, like all those Twilight fans.

And I sure as hell don't want people to not critcize. Criticism is important, as we can learn a lot from it. Once again, with no criticism, we're brain dead. I'm simply against the idea of pure hatred.

I mean, c'mon guys. The world has enough hate already.

Last edited by Metaler; 2012-11-13 at 13:04.
Metaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 13:05   Link #98
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well, do you think anyone will admit that they are just haters?

No matter how much blatantly they are to the eyes of everyone else, they are likely to tell you that their criticism is objective.

There isn't much point in saying "stop being a hater", nobody thinks to be one.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-13, 13:11   Link #99
Metaler

^ Well, yeah... I mean, as it was said before, haters feel smarter than everyone else, which compels them to hate more. But it's still mostly an emotional thing, I believe. They're haters without even realizing it. That's just how they see the world.

..Ah fuck, what the hell am I saying. I don't understand the logic of haters.
Old 2012-11-13, 13:47   Link #100
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
^ No, I'm just saying that there needs to be a balance. We have to pay attention to both the good sides AND bad sides. If we only pay attention exclusively to one of them, we'll be brain dead.
No, you don't. Since you have no idea why haters watch shows, how can you say that there is a balance if you are not open to the opinions of the haters?

Quote:
So my idea goes specifically to haters who actively try to hate, is all. Similarly, I'd say the same thing about fans who think they're favorite work is flawless, like all those Twilight fans.

And I sure as hell don't want people to not critcize. Criticism is important, as we can learn a lot from it. Once again, with no criticism, we're brain dead. I'm simply against the idea of pure hatred.

I mean, c'mon guys. The world has enough hate already.
So you accept criticism but at the same time you don't accept pure hatred which can be accompanied with criticism...

Quote:
^ Well, yeah... I mean, as it was said before, haters feel smarter than everyone else, which compels them to hate more. But it's still mostly an emotional thing, I believe. They're haters without even realizing it. That's just how they see the world.

..Ah fuck, what the hell am I saying. I don't understand the logic of haters.
Where do you get the idea that they are trying to feel smarter? There could be many other reasons for continuing a serie that they don't like, but to feel "superior" over the people who do like that serie is not one of them unless it's a pure troll or a "snob"
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote