AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 57 53.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 33.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 7.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.93%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-07, 23:20   Link #61
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I also liked Kagari in this episode. I think his take on the wider situation does a good job of reflecting where a lot of viewers were at - Yeah, Sibyl is horrible, but the guys causing these riots are a bit monstrous in their own way.
Until you said it I didn't realize that maybe that is what I liked about Kagari so much in this episode, he expressed exactly how I felt about both the sibyl system but also the people overturning it.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:21   Link #62
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnated View Post
I agree to this. Kougami and Makishima will team up somehow, whether Kou wants or not. Akane will refuse because she believes in Sybil system, thus it fits the scene in the OP.
Just a minor nitpick.. While Akane's character is that she represents the positive side of this system in comparison to the rest of the enforcers who represent the negative, the strength of her character still is that she never closed her mind. She is a self-sufficient human being in more than one way who is willing to go against the conventional wisdom if she feels something is amiss here. Recall why she decided to shoot Kougami with the dominator in the first episode. She is someone who is assessing situation based on its merit rather than going along with the flow. She is awesome!
Old 2013-02-07, 23:21   Link #63
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

So everyone thinks that Kagari is fled but he died and alone Shion know the truth???
Old 2013-02-07, 23:23   Link #64
Entravity

Well, it's understandable that some people would disklike this episode as nothing was truly revealed but was only teased. Still, we might have to wait until next episode before judging whether this episode is valuable or not. If they can somehow use this as further build-up, then it should be fine.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:30   Link #65
Kirarakim

Actually I think two things are significant about this episode

1) As I already said Akane did not shoot Makishima and this is what the section chief actually wanted to happen hence why Gino ordered them to capture not to kill.

2) We didn't actually see Kagari physically die? What happened to him is just as much a mystery as the secrets of the sybil system. In fact I am wondering if his ultimate fate will be tied into that secret.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:38   Link #66
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Until you said it I didn't realize that maybe that is what I liked about Kagari so much in this episode, he expressed exactly how I felt about both the sibyl system but also the people overturning it.
When Kagari expressed his feelings there, I immediately thought of both you and Roger Rambo. I immediately thought "I bet Kirarakim and Roger are really liking Kagari in this episode". If this is Kagari's final episode, then it's a good sendoff for him.

About Akane - My view on her is that, going by D&D moral alignments, she's very clearly "Lawful Good". She prefers a society with plenty of rules, order, structure, legal expectations. But still, she does have her own personal moral standards and codes. It's interesting how she's yet to kill a character, even as she wields a Dominator. It's almost as if Gen is purposely leaving her "untainted" for some special reason...

I think that Akane's "lawful" predispositions will increasingly conflict with her "good" moral standards and codes. Eventually, she will choose one over the other. I think she will choose the latter.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:38   Link #67
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Actually I think two things are significant about this episode

1) As I already said Akane did not shoot Makishima and this is what the section chief actually wanted to happen hence why Gino ordered them to capture not to kill.

2) We didn't actually see Kagari physically die? What happened to him is just as much a mystery as the secrets of the sybil system. In fact I am wondering if his ultimate fate will be tied into that secret.
just possible that he died disintegrated by the dominator yes? But the director hid the remains of his body ...
Old 2013-02-07, 23:49   Link #68
Vicious108

Quote:
2) Makishima fails. Sibyl survives. Kougami and Akane achieve their victory over their hated foe. The rest of Psycho-Pass is about our protagonists truly confronting Sibyl. Makishima is a "mid-boss", antagonist-wise, albeit an excellent one.
He was, but if this is where his role in the story ends then his character certainly feels like wasted potential IMO. I personally don't see Bureau Chief Kasei or anyone else turning out to be as compelling a "final boss" as he could have been.

I'd say chances are good he'll still have a part to play in the future though. I won't be holding my breath for it, but it's not like Gen to give major characters sendoffs as devoid of character development and closure as that.

Quote:
Honestly I think the way Kagari's presumed death was done (without them showing him physically dying) was just to give him a more dignified end. They spent the whole episode making him a sympathetic dude with a pretty relatable viewpoint on the whole ordeal, that it would have been a major bummer to see his head explode into goo as we saw Seung's.

But who knows, it is fiction and if we don't see a dead body next episode then there will always be the possibility he might still come back in some way.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:54   Link #69
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
He was, but if this is where his role in the story ends then his character certainly feels like wasted potential IMO. I personally don't see Bureau Chief Kasei or anyone else turning out to be as compelling a "final boss" as he could have been.

I'd say chances are good he'll still have a part to play in the future though. I won't be holding my breath for it, but it's not like Gen to give major characters sendoffs as devoid of character development and closure as that.
I think he'll be back. Like you said, it would be a bit of a waste of his character for him to not get more development than what he's had so far.

If nothing else, I think we'll see Kougami interrogate him in prison, or something like that.
Old 2013-02-07, 23:55   Link #70
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

I think that Akane's "lawful" predispositions will increasingly conflict with her "good" moral standards and codes. Eventually, she will choose one over the other. I think she will choose the latter.
Yes! Absolutely. That's what I think also, and the OP provides the visual needed to reach to that only conclusion. Dominator isn't going to kill Makishima. That's what she is holding. Kougami is the guy with the gun. If he takes the shot, the Dominator should render Kougami as someone who should be disposed off. Then the choice to press the trigger or not left up to Akane. Will she press the trigger?
Old 2013-02-07, 23:56   Link #71
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
But who knows, it is fiction and if we don't see a dead body next episode then there will always be the possibility he might still come back in some way.
Just to clarify I do think he is most likely dead but I wonder if something else related to the Sybil system happened to him as well.

I would also be surprised if that was it for Makishima.
Old 2013-02-08, 00:09   Link #72
Vicious108

Quote:
I think he'll be back. Like you said, it would be a bit of a waste of his character for him to not get more development than what he's had so far.

If nothing else, I think we'll see Kougami interrogate him in prison, or something like that.
I doubt the Bureau Chief will let anyone else near Makishima, much less an Enforcer. Unless Kougami manages to get something out of him before they deliver him to Sybil, but he doesn't even seem to be interested in that and just wanted him dead ASAP.

After all, the Bureau Chief considered telling an Inspector like Ginoza about Touma Kouzaburou (one of Makishima's predecessors, bearing the same condition) an exception to what would normally be classified information. And then she went to be real creepy about Touma's fate, stating he's been officially declared missing and that's all that needs to be said.

So yeah, things aren't looking up for Makishima. Well, maybe he'll once again emulate the Joker by turning out to be real good at getting out of jail.
Old 2013-02-08, 02:05   Link #73
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Well, I must eat my hat for not believing the plot would end up being about taking down the system.
I wonder if in the end Makishima be promoted to main character status to help bring the system down (and maybe escape all consequences and possibly becoming the sole survivor)?

I actually found it a little disappointing Kagari wasn't given enough screen time for me to really care about his death (ironically, I actually cared a little bit more about Akane's friend's death over this guy).

Overall, I still enjoyed this episode, despite above complaint and a lot more "derpy" looking faces (I guess quality control is dropping now), due to the suspense and the Chief plot twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I still say, it's the aliens!

And I'm only saying it half-jokingly.
Sibyl/Chief crash landed some centuries ago and needs to power her spaceship with the power (brains?) of criminally asymptomatic people. She just wants to go hooooooooomeeeee .
Old 2013-02-08, 02:43   Link #74
Traece
:cool:

As far as people hoping that Kagari made it through the episode, need I remind you that Yayoi had a backstory episode that was entirely set in the past? With this precedent, the chances of him surviving are close to zero.

I was feeling a bit disappointed with the recent plot in Psycho Pass, but this episode kind of won me over again. All of those anti-climactic surprises were just so fun. When Makishima got OHKO'd by Tusnemori with the helmet, I was literally shocked that he let it happen. Yet at the same time, I wasn't even mad. As far as the downstairs action, I was surprised by the vague twist, but I'm not surprised that Kagari died. On the note of the Sybil system, is it a machine controller, or perhaps it doesn't actually do what people think it does? Only time will tell...

My favorite part of this episode: DAT SUPLEX.

All of the action scenes were really, really good. In fact, I'm going to watch them a couple times over because of how clean and how well-done they were. Especially the "camera" work for those scenes. We actually got to watch the combat, instead of some abstract camera movement and blurs of limbs flying everywhere supposedly hitting things which is something I've seen far too many times. Extra kudos for having good fight choreography, since I recognized some of the moves that were used (mostly by Ko).
Old 2013-02-08, 05:39   Link #75
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
From what we've seen, the Sibyl System is unable to determine things like context or recognize violent images. If it's really made up of people or brains, they've got to be heavily drugged, lobotomized, or incredibly stupid. But if that's the case, then they're really not using living processors to their full potential.
Quote:
The Director being a cyborg (or purely artificial?) was a bit surprising, I suppose. I am interested in seeing where that leads.

In the back of my mind, I had a thought about the Sibyl system that I felt was too outlandish to speak of. But now, I'm not so sure. My thought was that the logical extreme of Sibyl is... The Borg. Of Star Trek fame. That Sibyl is slowly but surely turning people into totally obedient and completely docile borg drones. The collective is everything, the individual is unimportant. But as strong as my misgivings over Sibyl were, I felt that take was a bit extreme, so I kept it private. Until now.
When Choe Gu-Sung first explained the structure of the Sibyl system and how it's not decentralized, I thought to myself jokingly that a centralized system of this magnitude and importance has to be a construct of poor Japanese design aesthetic. But it makes sense to keep scarce biological data processing units in one place, purely from a security standpoint. Imagine having Sibyl nodes all over town with humans powering them. The bad guys would have more attack vectors possible and it'd be easier to create distractions.

I should mention here that having humans or something like them process information is what would make most sense even for a sort of hard sci-fi story. "Bionic eye" technology is already a reality, so the dominator is basically a gun with a video camera or laser technology, assisted with human brain power that vets out false positives and makes judgments in hard-to-call situations. Which is also a possible explanation why people like Makishima are desireable. The very design of such a system is basically a testament that no matter what technology people come up with, they will never be able to break down and quantify a human being. They will always need people to do that, and a machine is just a machine that will be dependant on human beings. It is quite possible that police chief, in all her android glory, can't function without them. So to capture criminally asymptomatic people is first and foremost an existential issue for her. The system created a problem for itself by dumbing down the population, or perhaps the population itself was already dumbed down, animal-like, making it much easier for machines to read their patterns of thought and predict behavior. In my opinion, that's also the reason why Sibyl was taken up by society. Rather be carefree, left alone in their own cozy little worlds, as long as they have enough to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
She is a self-sufficient human being in more than one way who is willing to go against the conventional wisdom if she feels something is amiss here. Recall why she decided to shoot Kougami with the dominator in the first episode. She is someone who is assessing situation based on its merit rather than going along with the flow. She is awesome!
While she is indeed awesome, I think she merely represents what a human should be, from a more of a traditionalist point of view: someone who doesn't conform to its environment, but evolves and in the process changes the environment. This kind of anime is what I'd love to call high-tech right wing propaganda, as it makes you feel like leftist mindset brought forth the Sibyl system. Akane would power up and upgrade the system quite nicely. She basically demonstrated that she's capable of making the right call whilst holding her emotions back. Now the question is will she let herself to believe that "humanity" has already been animalized to the point of no return and give herself to the system, or will she try to abolish/reform it?
Old 2013-02-08, 05:47   Link #76
kcnet

I bet the sybil system is made of 3 makishima
Old 2013-02-08, 06:25   Link #77
Gohan78
Awakened One

My theory is that the Sibyl System is made of on array of human brains. That's why it can process such a massive amount of data so quickly. But I don't think that there are living humans who assess the crime coefficient. It must be a true scientific measurement, although imperfect.

Chief Kasei is one of Sibyl's creators or just a high-class officer who has admin privileges to override Sibyl's threat judgment. I think she is a full-body cyborg like the old man hunter. I will be disappointed if she turns out to be merely a robotic avatar of Sibyl because then Sibyl becomes a more humane version of Skynet.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2013-02-08, 06:27   Link #78
Dop
Mmmm....

I'm wondering if the Sibyl system is perhaps the original Chief herself, having put herself at the heart of the system, and the RoboChief is just her physical avatar in the real world.
But for all I know it could just be a huge ever-growing pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the Sibyl System. Maybe we'll never find out as keeping it a mystery could be more interesting?

I suspect what happens to Mikishima might be the catalyst for the finale. By not killing him there and then, Akane showed, I think, that her desire for revenge was outweighed by her belief in due process. She wants Mikishima to stand trial for his crimes, and when he's just disappeared, that coupled with the disappearance of Kagari may lead them to investigate the system itself.
Old 2013-02-08, 07:50   Link #79
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
When Kagari expressed his feelings there, I immediately thought of both you and Roger Rambo. I immediately thought "I bet Kirarakim and Roger are really liking Kagari in this episode". If this is Kagari's final episode, then it's a good sendoff for him.
Kagari was little psycho murder hobo home boy of justice and common sense

Quote:
About Akane - My view on her is that, going by D&D moral alignments, she's very clearly "Lawful Good". She prefers a society with plenty of rules, order, structure, legal expectations. But still, she does have her own personal moral standards and codes. It's interesting how she's yet to kill a character, even as she wields a Dominator. It's almost as if Gen is purposely leaving her "untainted" for some special reason...

Sounds pretty spot on with her character. I'm somewhat wondering what Makishima's reaction to Akane will be at this point. I don't think on principle he can talk about her as being completely disappointing (she did manage to knock him out*), but I'm not sure he'd be entirely satisfied with any moral reasons she could come up with regards to not taking revenge.

It'll be interesting to see how Makishima fairs in wording off against leveled up Akane. He certainly had fun with his confrontation with Kougami, but they didn't exactly have a philosophical/intellectual argument/discussion. Will Akane next episode be able to do that better?

*Some people are calling hax on that, but I'm willing to let it slide. Why? Because Makishima's fighting ability, just like his ability to amass armies of murderers, is obviously magically based.

I mean, Makishima spends all his free time calmly reading old paperbacks and waxing philosophically. Kougami spends all his free time practicing martial arts and sparring. Makishima winning in a martial arts fight against Kougami required him using up all his plot magic mojo, which left him vulnerable to Akane bashing him on the head
Old 2013-02-08, 10:12   Link #80
Pacify

Meh who cares about nit picking. Was a great episode, need more new anime like this, rather then the generic moe blob that's everywhere
Closed Thread