AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 281 74.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 66 17.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 3.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.27%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.27%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.27%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.27%
Voters: 377. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-09, 21:00   Link #281
The Silver Sky
New Newy Newbson

Location: Omaha, NE, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Universe
Send a message via MSN to The Silver Sky
Episode 14 is my most favorite episode period , the only thing that comes close is episode 4 for the fight scene.

I loved everything from Kyon getting kicked out of the club room by Haruhi (while Mikuru is waving 'Don't say it, just leave') to Kyon falling out of bed and clutching his head while kicking and thinking 'Freud would have a field day with this.' (I assume he thought this cause of the painful obviousness of the 'dream')

I especially like Kyon's little mind rave when the big blue monster is coming towards Haruhi and him, very thought provoking.

Spoiler:

EDIT: Woah, feck, damn, deja vu, I got a feeling that I've dreamed of me doing this. Creepy, I've been getting that feeling a lot lately. *shivers*

Last edited by The Silver Sky; 2006-07-09 at 21:14.
Old 2006-07-09, 21:10   Link #282
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy
Well, one of the songs reached #2 or #3 on the Oricon charts. The OP and ED singles sold out within the day they were released and online retailers were backed up for weeks with orders. The DVD's are also doing really well.
I've gleaned all this from the various threads here. Unless you can read Japanese fluently, that's probably the most you'll get for info for a while.
The fact that both the Haruhi music CDs and novels were sold out was also one more piece of evidence that Harhui's popularity was unexpected in Japan.

If they expected brisk sales, extra copies of all Haruhi-related goods would have been produced ahead of time.

As it was, the Haruhi songs could NOT reach #1 purely because there wasn't enough copies in existence at the time to put it there. Diehard fans who were unrelated to KyoAni had been making fan posters and promotion materials, and handing out pamphlets on the street asking people to buy the CD.
(Hauhiists to the core, aren't they?)

On-line books shops had on record that Haruhi novels were at the top of the most-wanted list, beneath it was Harry Potter books and The Da Vinci Code.

Try that for popular.
Old 2006-07-09, 21:58   Link #283
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
On-line books shops had on record that Haruhi novels were at the top of the most-wanted list, beneath it was Harry Potter books and The Da Vinci Code.

Try that for popular.
Indeed. Owned, huh?
It's a shame that enough copies weren't shipped. It may have been the first (I think, or one of very, very few) anime songs to top the Oricon charts

@Silver: Nice sig
Old 2006-07-09, 22:42   Link #284
The Silver Sky
New Newy Newbson

Quote:
@Silver: Nice sig
Is this better?
Old 2006-07-09, 22:48   Link #285
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I don't care if you use it with or without my name. It just surprised me to see it pop up like that
Old 2006-07-09, 22:52   Link #286
The Silver Sky
New Newy Newbson

Quote:
I don't care if you use it with or without my name. It just surprised me to see it pop up like that
Eh, what can I say? Good ideas spread fast, and Kyon is my fav character.
Old 2006-07-09, 22:53   Link #287
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
The fact that both the Haruhi music CDs and novels were sold out was also one more piece of evidence that Harhui's popularity was unexpected in Japan.

Try that for popular.
It'll be awesome if that series gets licensed, and it gets as much attention in the U.S. as in Japan, but I know that not going to happen.
Old 2006-07-10, 00:17   Link #288
rpgman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
It'll be awesome if that series gets licensed, and it gets as much attention in the U.S. as in Japan, but I know that not going to happen.
If it does get licensed, what DVD distributor and recording studio will have the greatest chance of getting this series? Many people will complain that the series will not make a decent transfer into English.
Old 2006-07-10, 01:30   Link #289
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't know why a translation would be hard... there's nothing especially "japanese" going on here. Its just straight science fiction and most people have a clue about the slight differences in high schools of other countries.

We'd *like* to see decent voice casting but that rarely ever happens.. frankly the script could be great but if they hire the usual *C* grade voice talent I wouldn't listen that way anyway.

I think it has an excellent chance of making it to "R1-land" simply because its just good science fiction. If people can handle Bruce Willis in "12 Monkeys" or Tom Cruise in "Minority Report" - I don't think Haruhi is much of a stretch.
Old 2006-07-10, 05:23   Link #290
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1
If it does get licensed, what DVD distributor and recording studio will have the greatest chance of getting this series? Many people will complain that the series will not make a decent transfer into English.
Given the popularity thus high licensing cost, I'm betting on FUNimation.
Old 2006-07-10, 05:36   Link #291
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I don't know why a translation would be hard... there's nothing especially "japanese" going on here. Its just straight science fiction and most people have a clue about the slight differences in high schools of other countries.

We'd *like* to see decent voice casting but that rarely ever happens.. frankly the script could be great but if they hire the usual *C* grade voice talent I wouldn't listen that way anyway.

I think it has an excellent chance of making it to "R1-land" simply because its just good science fiction. If people can handle Bruce Willis in "12 Monkeys" or Tom Cruise in "Minority Report" - I don't think Haruhi is much of a stretch.
Its not the story, its the characters themselves, the majority of westerners think these characters are bad characters, they are too westernised to see the brilliance of the cast. Western characters are very different from Japanese characters, moe characters are non-existant. And I've heard too many of Kyon being a bad male lead, lol if that's true, good anime male leads probably never existed. Those westerners/caucasians who loved the characters are specially selected by Haruhi-sama, you should be proud of that lol.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-07-10, 07:37   Link #292
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Well, we're talking about the North American anime community, not popular society. I think the anime people can handle the characters just fine . In fact, I think Kyon in particular would appeal more to a western audience, as they tend to understand sarcasm better than Japanese. Mikuru, however, would likely be lost on most people without prior anime experience.
If Azumanga Daioh can get licensed, Haruhi shouldn't have a problem. Unless, like darkchibi brought out, cost becomes an issue. The North American anime industry seems to be in a bit of a recession following it's ginormous boom a year or so ago
Old 2006-07-10, 09:03   Link #293
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

About Kyon, he's the most puzzling issue, because he's the reason that occured the most number of times when I hear from westerners who dislike the show.

Instead of liking Kyon, I've heard people saying that he's a wimp, he's unreal, he's useless or something else. What the heck, it must be in the genes.

It just baffles me, I have no idea why would anybody dislike Kyon.

Old 2006-07-10, 09:04   Link #294
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I've talked to a couple of people (very casual anime watchers) who dislike SHnY because it "didn't go far enough". As in, they don't like that the show just has the SOS-dan engaging in pretty much Wacky Hijinks, without being more active in challenging the audience's worldview.

I think part of it is due to the popularity of the show. The opinion is that if something is talked about by so many people, then it has to have some extremely mindbending stuff, like The Matrix or some such. (Personally I think that's taking entertainment a bit too seriously, but then I don't try to evangelize the show as much as I've seen others doing.)

So how well SHnY would do in the US market would, I think, come down simply to how many people like this sort of show. I know I do, and I think it's one of the best anime I've ever watched, but I'm already feeling a backlash to the backlash: I'm getting really, really tired of people who, upon learning that I like SHnY, start ranting at me about how the show is not the be-all and end-all, because someone once ranted to them about how the show is all that.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
About Kyon, he's the most puzzling issue, because he's the reason that occured the most number of times when I hear from westerners who dislike the show.

Instead of liking Kyon, I've heard people saying that he's a wimp, he's unreal, he's useless or something else. What the heck, it must be in the genes.

It just baffles me, I have no idea why would anybody dislike Kyon.
Part of it, from my own experiences, is the question: "why doesn't he stop Haruhi, and instead just stands there observing and making snarky comments?"

Now, I don't actively dislike Kyon, but I don't actively like him either. I think he's a cool character in that he actually vocalizes our own snarky comments, but he's not One Of Us; he's One Of The Subset Of "Us" Who Like To Make Snarky Comments (whether in our head or out loud). I am one of that subset, so I identify with his monologues.

As far as I can tell (I could be completely wrong), the people who dislike him for being a wimp are those who would dispense with the snark and just do something about Haruhi. I don't think it's a particularly "western" style of thinking, just a "different but equally valid and human" style of thinking.
Old 2006-07-10, 09:12   Link #295
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I've become very harsh over the topic on how people think the show is bad, I've heard too many ridiculous reasons on why the show is bad.

I used to keep saying these reasons: 'Its in the genes', or 'Haruhi-sama didn't choose those people'. In reality, these are just polite 'excuses', the more probable explanation is that they can't grasp the story, they don't understand and don't want to. To be even harsher, they are not quick enough.

I don't like to be harsh and that's why I have another reason, this show is too Japanese, or asian, for most westerners to grasp.

Old 2006-07-10, 09:20   Link #296
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
I've become very harsh over the topic on how people think the show is bad, I've heard too many ridiculous reasons on why the show is bad.

I used to keep saying these reasons: 'Its in the genes', or 'Haruhi-sama didn't choose those people'. In reality, these are just polite 'excuses', the more probable explanation is that they can't grasp the story, they don't understand and don't want to. To be even harsher, they are not quick enough.

I don't like to be harsh and that's why I have another reason, this show is too Japanese, or asian, for most westerners to grasp.
Mostly I don't like to say that "they don't understand". Putting it like that makes it sound as though they're "inferior" in some way by "not getting it". Dialogue tends to be difficult if one or the other side is on the defensive.

I just think that if someone doesn't like the show, then it's simply because it's not the show for them. I know my reasons for liking the show are almost completely subjective and based on illogical feelings, and a large part because of who I am. SHnY appears to be made (for the most part) for the way I think, the way I feel, the way I am; if I were very different, then I probably wouldn't like the show as much.

I know some of my friends think that I'm crazy for not liking, say, Gunslinger Girl. I agree that it's very well done, and it's a great anime, and I think that I understand reasonably clearly what it's about; I just don't like it because it's depressing. I'd still recommend it to others who might like that sort of anime, but I don't personally like it.

I think when people say that they don't like SHnY, it's kind of like that. I know I don't understand why people get so vehement about liking or not liking it.
Old 2006-07-10, 09:29   Link #297
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

And that's also why I came up with the 'explanation', 'Its in the genes'. Some people just can't bring themselves to like something, its a cat and mouse sort of thing. Being totally against a show must be really bad genes, since it causes them a loss, for not being able to enjoy such a masterpiece.

About Kyon being a wimp or not, if he's the only person who openly defies Haruhi, how come he's the one being pointed at?

Old 2006-07-10, 09:43   Link #298
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
And that's also why I came up with the 'explanation', 'Its in the genes'. Some people just can't bring themselves to like something, its a cat and mouse sort of thing. Being totally against a show must be really bad genes, since it causes them a loss, for not being able to enjoy such a masterpiece.

About Kyon being a wimp or not, if he's the only person who openly defies Haruhi, how come he's the one being pointed at?
^^; Like I said, I'd rather not qualify liking (or disliking) anything as "good" or "bad", since that same accusation might be levelled at me next.

As for Kyon, he's openly defying Haruhi, but he's not actually stopping her outright from doing many things; he just stops them before they get too far, and goes along for the ride until then.

Mind you, compared to everyone else of significance in the series he's downright rebellious. Other people generally agree with everything she says (Itsuki), share similar outlooks on life (Tsuruya, Imouto), are too scared to offer resistance (Mikuru, computer club president), are thoroughly apathetic (Yuki), or carefully ignore her in the hopes that she'll go away (everyone else).
Old 2006-07-10, 09:51   Link #299
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, it still doesn't explain how Kyon is a wimp and being the only rebellious person further disproves that.

I've never heard of people calling Itsuki a wimp, maybe because those people gave up watching after episode 2 or 3 and have never seen Itsuki besides during episode 1 and the OP/ED.

And just to mention, I have no flaming intentions here lol and also I'm not exactly into a heated argument too. All Haruhists are united in the mind by Haruhi-sama, I can see dkellis, your points clearly.

I'm thinking that we're killing this thread and we've went too far off track, Haruhi-sama will not be happy about this and we shouldn't carry on here lol

Old 2006-07-10, 10:50   Link #300
Dracil
Yama

Nice end for the series. I actually got bored of Haruhi somewhere in the middle, but these last few episodes redeemed themselves. Now I have to read the translated novels as well.

And while reading through the forum, I just can't help but laugh at these comments from the episode 2 discussion now that we know that Kyon DOES have pretty constant perverted thoughts of Mikuru. Not to mention the saving of compromising pics of Mikuru on the computer instead of trashing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I'm not sure I can answer this without insulting someone...

He's mature? He thinks of women as people and he just cannot believe she's treating Mikuru that way and he feels sorry for her? He doesn't think assaulting her is a good idea? He's starting to wonder if Suzumiya needs medication?

Lemme see.... example: I was just out of college, one of my fellow engineers (who also happened to be pretty) had a serious clothing malfunction while we were working on some equipment. Lessee, did I say, "omigod, boobage!!!!" .... no .... I helped her recover - she thanked me - and I did not go blabbing about it. For some strange reason ... she trusted me after that.

My respect for Kyon went up a 1000% in that scene when he extricated Mikuru from Haruhi's clutches and then made sure Mikuru knew she had nothing to fear from him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophismata
Contrary to popular belief, not all guys are retarded or perverted morons.

I, for one, find it refreshing to have a strong, "normal" lead in an anime. Or, at the least, a character that I can relate to immensely.
Closed Thread