AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-20, 15:12   Link #1
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Exclamation *Romance Suggestion for Guys new to anime?!?

Hi all,

So after a long time coming some good friends finally decided to watch some anime~ (age 20-something college guys).

I started them out with one of my favorite series of all time, Great Teacher Onizuka. They got completely hooked, and while I didn't see it coming they ended up becoming obsessed with the potential relationships in the series! Of course they were sort of let down on the lack of focus in this area due to it not being a shoujo.

We'd already planned on the next series being Beck (another one of my favorites) as they're both really into music and I'm realizing this will be another one that teases in the romance/relationship department.

I'm looking for input on our 3rd series to watch as I plan on it being something where there is at least some focus or closure on relationships...

I'm not sure I want to go into something super sappy (Ai Yori Aoshi?) or something really serious (Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien)...I have a feeling the best may be some sort of comedy romance that does a good job on both ends.

I was maybe thinking Lovely Complex? It's been awhile I don't really remember it....ToraDora was great although the ending was kind of sappy. Kimi Ni Todoke was also quite amusing for me though I' think they'd kill themselves from the way the characters act

Any input is appreciated, cheers!

*Note, other than Kimi Ni Todoke and ToraDora I haven't seen much in the last year++ just fyi...maybe that could turn into some good suggestions for myself as well hehe

Edit; I've talked to other people, I know School Rumble is really funny...but would it satisfy the romance/relationship & closure side of things? The same question goes for Angel Beats~

Last edited by Onibaba; 2011-01-20 at 15:49.
Old 2011-01-20, 17:34   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Kaichou wa Maid-Sama seems perfect for what you're looking for. It has serious and none serious romance moments, and is a shoujo title.
Old 2011-01-20, 17:44   Link #3
Patch&Quilt

NANA
Bokura Ga Ita
Koi Kaze
Old 2011-01-20, 17:50   Link #4
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onibaba View Post
Edit; I've talked to other people, I know School Rumble is really funny...but would it satisfy the romance/relationship & closure side of things? The same question goes for Angel Beats~
School Rumble from what I've heard, would tear your hair off your head in that department Angel Beats is also not known for it's romance...

Bascially you don't want anything too heavy right? I would strongly suggest [Amagami SS] if you're looking for something recent. It's both light and sweet and has an Omnibus format so everyone would more or less get a happy ending There are some... 'Interesting' fanservice moments in case that's a factor for your decision in any way.
Old 2011-01-20, 18:01   Link #5
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Angel Beats is a total tease when it comes to romance.
Old 2011-01-20, 18:34   Link #6
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch&Quilt View Post
NANA
Bokura Ga Ita
Koi Kaze
All three you recommended are very heavy in the romance department, and that's not what the OP is looking for.
Old 2011-01-20, 18:53   Link #7
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Clannad *may* be for you, though I would stay away from After Story if you want comedy romance. The first season is pretty half halfish, but yeah.
Old 2011-01-20, 19:18   Link #8
kitten320

I also would say Clannad if you are looking for romance/comedy and drama. Also has slight action in between.

Something with more action and blood would be good to watch Baccano, pairings are really unique and twisted there. One of them gets better development in 2 special episodes though.

Umm... Fate/Stay Night also has romance going together with action/comedy/drama.

If they like ecchi stuff and something more random, you can try Green Green, if no then better don't watch! Also OVA is a hentai, so yeh...

Love Hina is a nice harem like comedy, though in this series case manga would be better since it has more development but anime still is nice even though it is extremly shortened version^^

Mai HiME has several pairings, series are action/comedy/drama driven but duno how much you will like the ending. Despite being my favorite series I think ending slightly lacked... but you still can give it a try.

Otome Yoklai Zakuro has some nice romance going on with quiet simple story.

Senjou no Valkyria is another series with romance and action.

Spice and Wolf a bit unique series, actually hard for me to give it proper description.

Suzuka involves love triangle but the whole soppy things might seem too girly so yeh...

Basicly I recommend you to just check series descriptions and some posters in order to see if it is what you are interested in.
Old 2011-01-20, 20:11   Link #9
MamoruUsagi

Bokura ga Ita is a realistic romance. The couple is dating and in a realsitic relationship.

The Devil Does Exist is an amazing realistic romance manga. Kayano and Takeru are boyfriend and girlfriend, dating and in a serious, realistic relationship.

Mars is an epic, realistic, deep romance/drama manga. The couple are boyfriend and girlfriend and in a serious, committed, realistic relationship the entire series. Deep, serious, touching.

Kare Kano is a great romance series, the couple is dating and in a serious relationship the entire series.

Wild Act is an excellent romance manga. The couple is having sex, dating and in a serious relationship. Lots of kissing, sex, very sweet and romantic.

High School Debut is a sweet romance manga. The couple is boyfriend and girlfriend and in a relationship the entire series. Very sweet, funny, realistic and romantic.

Fushigi Yuugi is an amazing romance series. The couple is dating and in a serious, deep, epic relationship the entire series. the Fushigi Yugi manga is much longer and better than the anime. Very romantic.

Kare First Love is a realistic romance manga. The couple is together the entire series and deals with realistic issues like sex, break ups, dating and drama. Romantic and funny.

Ayashi no Ceres is a deep romance. The manga Ceres Celestial Legend has lots of kissing, making out in bed, sex, darkness, death and drama. Steamy romance.

Peach Girl is a realistic romance/drama.

Happy Hustle High is a cute romance manga. The couple is boyfriend and girlfriend and in a relationship the entire series and goes on sweet dates. Lots of kissing.

Sailor Moon is a deep romance, the couple is dating and in an epic relationshipo and get married and have a child.

Akuma De Sourou Amazing romance.

Marmalade Boy Romance/Drama

B.O.D.Y. Romance/Drama manga

Missile Happy! Sweet romance, couple is living together and prepare to get married.

Fushigi Yugi manga is much better than the anime, so romantic, amazing romance/fantasy, much longer.

Absolute Boyfriend is a sweet romance manga.

Sand Chronicles is a tragic, deep romance.

Ultra Cute is a sweet romance manga about a couple in a relationship.

Black Bird is a dark romance manga.

Sensual Phrase is a mature romance manga.

Paradise Kiss is an amazing steamy romance.

Land of the Blindfolded is a cute romance manga about a couple dating.

Read Ceres Celestial Legend for dark, deep, steamy, sensual, mature, exciting romance.

All amazing romance anime and manga series.

All of these series show couples as boyfriend and girlfriend, dating and in serious, committed romantic relationships with kissing, hugging, sex, break ups, dates, engagements, weddings, marriages, etc. All have dating couples. These are the best of the best for serious romance anime and manga with couples in relationships during the series.
Old 2011-01-20, 22:21   Link #10
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

1st off yea I'd recommend giving Lovely Complex a go since it has the comedy, sorta music theme to it and the romance is handled very very well.

I'll 2nd Amagami SS, Senjou no Valkyria(Valkyria Chronicles), and Kaichou wa Maid-Sama.

Amagami SS - A 25 ep series thats divided into six 4 episode arcs for 6 different heroines. Last ep is about a 7th girl.

Senjou no Valkyria(Valkyria Chronicles) - Based on the Epic RPG for the PS3. Not so much with the humor/comedy but it's there but a great take on romance. I think its a great way to get into anime.

Kaichou wa Maid-Sama - Pretty much fits what your looking for to T.

Might want to try out Megane no Kanojo - 4 short OVAs about glasses girls and romance, very good stuff all around.

I'm somewhat reluctant to recommend Busou Renkin it's got the romance, the comedy and action, but it's abit out there in some regards, maybe not a easy anime to ease people into anime with but I think it's worth the spin.

Theres always Shuffle(I love this series but on the whole, not a terribly great anime tbh) it does however actually fit with what your looking for.

Sadly School Rumble does not provide closure to it's magnitude of possible relationships but it's still def worth a look into. Hilariously funny and

Tokimeki Memorial ~Love Only~ - I like this one quite alot but again tbh not particularly a good anime, altho it has comedy and closure on the romance. Rather cheesy and fluffy.

Summer Wars - altho this is a film and the romance isn't exactly a big part of it, it's there but this is a great anime film to watch. A must see for any fan.

Oh if they take a liking to Kaichou wa Maid-sama then maybe give Special A a whirl as well.
Old 2011-01-20, 23:58   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Clannad

Cross Game

Otome Yoklai Zakuro

Or you could go old school with Maison Ikkoku

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-01-21, 00:51   Link #12
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

Lots of replies, thanks!

And for the record, Kaichou is a total tease !!!! (In the context of this thread)

Looking for something with at least some concrete happenings between the characters...

NANA / Bokura Ga Ita ect. are great series imo...I think they just got used to the craziness in GTO and I don't want them to get bored. I could tell they were really wanting some relationship development though.

I think to really give it to them it may have to be something on the more dramatic or serious side (Does anyone remember if Kare Kano had some comedy? Only thing I remember was it being a great series)

Perhaps Love Hina (that might be a pain to get a hold of) or Suzuka...I remember watching Suzuka and wanting to check into the manga so I'm not sure how it ended haha.

I watched Amamagami a long time back as well..unsure about the throwing them into the split story harem.
Old 2011-01-21, 04:37   Link #13
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Ai Yori Aoshi: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ai-yori-aoshi

if they like that follow it up with Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ai-yori-aoshi-enishi

Clannad: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/clannad

If they like that follow it up with Clannad Afterstory: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/clannad-after-story

and if all else fails have them watch Samurai X

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ru...hin-tsuiokuhen

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-01-21, 05:52   Link #14
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Saiounkoku monogatari? 2 seasons of reverse harem.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2011-01-21, 06:30   Link #15
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

You may want to check Ah! My Goddess! It's a shounen/seinen romance series about a college student/graduate who lives with his girlfriend and her two sisters.
Old 2011-01-21, 08:36   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you think you might like series where the protagonists are no longer in high school, I have two recommendations. One is REC, a nice little story about an aspiring seiyuu and a young marketing executive. You could watch the whole thing in one or two sittings.

Alternatively there's Nodame Cantabile about aspiring young musicians in a classical music college. This is one of my favorite shows, but your friends might find it too slow. Also the romance is fairly one-sided for most of the first season though it picks up in the sequels.

Nodame is an example of shows where a young woman develops feelings for older male "senpai" character. There are two other series I can think of like this, both of which have adult casts. One is Planetes, an excellent science-fiction story about space trash collectors. The other is Toshokan Sensou about a young military recruit who falls for her trainer.
Closed Thread