AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-10-09, 00:42   Link #61
hhaamu
Don't panic.

While I appreciate the help, I got it working for QT with Flip4Mac. I just want this support from mplayer (having two media players is a PITA).

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
Old 2006-10-09, 02:33   Link #62
ichobi

Hey thx Andiyar! , i will try that sometimes later.
My HDD is a real mess now, i will format it soon. Or might wait until i get a copy of Leopard when it release.

Anyway, what's the benefit of this custom build?
Sorry for being noob , but i don't know what is SAA/ASS . is that subtitle support or something ?
Old 2006-10-09, 04:16   Link #63
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu View Post
While I appreciate the help, I got it working for QT with Flip4Mac. I just want this support from mplayer (having two media players is a PITA).
Try to build (or find a build of) the current SVN version. WMV9 should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
Sorry for being noob , but i don't know what is SAA/ASS . is that subtitle support or something ?
SSA/ASS support is support for styled softsubs (and embedded fonts in MKV files).
Old 2006-10-09, 10:28   Link #64
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Well, the build is reuploaded and the link is working again - for those who don't feel like scrolling up, you can download it here:

MPlayer OSX Custom for PPC.

Now, for a couple of specifics:

@ ichobi

Yes, SSA/ASS is indeed subtitle support as Jekyll wrote. Basically, this build allows you to watch embedded subs in all their font & style glory, in files containing softsubs at least.

@ haamu

As Jekyll says - the newest SVN for MPlayer is indeed able to do this. The build I've linked here is a PPC version of the binary - I don't currently have access to an Intel Mac in order to make a working build. I suggest you download the version that thr posted earlier - see if that has WMV3 support. The most recent versions definitely do, as I just tested my compile with the Kanon OP & ED DVD rips, which were both encoded as WMV9 files - playback was perfect, with slightly less processor overhead than with Flip4Mac.

-Andiyar

Last edited by andiyar; 2006-10-30 at 20:06.
Old 2006-10-09, 11:08   Link #65
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

@ Andiyar

I was wondering if your build worked with WMV3 video tracks in AVI containers, or just with .wmv files. For some reason, mine works with the latter but not the former. Also, it seems I can't use your installer as an "upgrade" or whatever; it runs into problems during the installation, tells me so, and then says to try again.

Hm, I also seem to have found the bit in the log that tells me something useful on the subject:

Code:
Requested video codec family [wmv9dmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Requested video codec family [wmvdmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
[wmv3 @ 0x51b5f0]Profile value 2 is forbidden (and WMV3 Complex Profile is unsupported)
Could not open codec.
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x33564D57.

Last edited by Discerptor; 2006-10-09 at 11:41.
Old 2006-10-09, 11:11   Link #66
hhaamu
Don't panic.

The same error I got last time (Bug #514):

Code:
cc -I. -I.. -Wdeclaration-after-statement -fno-PIC -O4 -march=pentium-m -mtune=pentium-m -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mdynamic-no-pic -falign-loops=16 -DSYS_DARWIN -DCONFIG_DARWIN -shared-libgcc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include -U_FILE_OFFSET_BITS  -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -DMPLAYER -D__WINE__  -c pe_image.c
In file included from wine/winnt.h:1043,
                 from wine/winbase.h:5,
                 from pe_image.c:56:
wine/poppack.h:5: error: too many #pragma options align=reset
In file included from wine/winnt.h:1494,
In file included from wine/winnt.h:2170,
In file included from wine/winnt.h:2667,
In file included from wine/winbase.h:1083,
In file included from wine/module.h:76,
                 from pe_image.c:60:
In file included from pe_image.c:61:
wine/debugtools.h:67: warning: useless type name in empty declaration
pe_image.c: In function ‘fixup_imports’:
pe_image.c:315: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of ‘LookupExternalByName’ differ in signedness
pe_image.c:336: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of ‘LookupExternalByName’ differ in signedness
make[1]: *** [pe_image.o] Error 1
make: *** [loader/libloader.a] Error 2
real 0m22.258s, user 0m18.577s, sys 0m1.999s, cpu 92.44 %

--disable-win32 and got this error:
Code:
cc -c -I.. -Wdeclaration-after-statement -fno-PIC -O4 -march=pentium-m -mtune=pentium-m -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mdynamic-no-pic -falign-loops=16 -DSYS_DARWIN -DCONFIG_DARWIN -shared-libgcc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/opt/local/include/freetype2 -I/opt/local/include -o decode_MMX.o decode_MMX.c
{standard input}:91:Unknown pseudo-op: .balign
{standard input}:91:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 49 (1).
{standard input}:163:Unknown pseudo-op: .balign
{standard input}:163:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 49 (1).
make[1]: *** [decode_MMX.o] Error 1
make: *** [mp3lib/libMP3.a] Error 2
real 6m36.068s, user 5m43.650s, sys 0m36.409s, cpu 95.95 %

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)

Last edited by hhaamu; 2006-10-09 at 11:23.
Old 2006-10-09, 11:28   Link #67
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Try with "./configure --disable-win32" or without having the binary codec pack installed, i.e. remove the /usr/local/lib/codecs/ directory, which should be the place you put them.

Edit: Eh, beat me to it.

Edit 2: For the .balign stuff, try this: Open mp3lib/decode_MMX.c in a texteditor and replace both occurances of ".balign 16" with ".align 4".
Old 2006-10-09, 14:58   Link #68
hhaamu
Don't panic.

More mp3lib MMX errors... Disabled it, enabled libmad instead...

Finally got a build done, and it works. If anyone is interested in an intel build that uses some libraries installed via darwinports (freetype, zlib, libiconv, libmad, libtheora, libogg), I'm willing to upload this. Might even try to get a static build done.

Old 2006-10-10, 07:12   Link #69
blueorange

I have had no problems with a recent SVN build on my PPC Mac G5.

The only changes I made were to disable SDL and X11. I enabled DTS for that I got libdts via darwinports. If you don't have libdts installed and try and play any file with DTS audio it sounds like someone has started a chainsaw in your room. Argh.

It plays ASS subtitles great. It also renders normal text subtitles much more nicely too. The new default is a yellow bit-stream font with a black outline. You can enable AAS style to non-styled text, either by manually entering the specifics, or by pointing mplayer to an .ASS file. I have used MKVTOOLNIX to extract some subtitles styles I like.

But for me it still doesn't apply any ASS styles to subtitles in .OGM containers? are these subtitles formatted differently?
Old 2006-10-10, 07:17   Link #70
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

OGM only supports SRT (plain text) subtitles, but if you can style external .SRT's, then it really shouldn't matter. I guess it could be a bug...?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-10-10, 09:11   Link #71
NemoMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
@ ichobi

Hrm. I've found the problem - several of the libraries that are required for MPlayer to run (the custom version) are installed in a rather esoteric location on the hard drive - specifically in the middle of the darwinports section. Now, that said, I've put together an installer that does install them, in the correct location, and works perfectly well - the two machines I had been testing on had actually both been used in my compiling stages, so both had the support. I deleted the relevant files off one, tested my new package, and both the binary and the libs install and function correctly. The new package unfortunately has to create a new directory on the root level of your hard drive (/opt/), but that appears to be unavoidable - and it can be made invisible easily enough, if it's an irritant.

Anyway, I'll upload the new build as soon as I can - my server's currently being a pain in regards to FTP access, and is therefore... not currently working. Which is irritating. That said, as soon as it's done I'll post here. Won't be too long

-Andiyar
Ah, I noticed the /opt/ folder on my HD had appeared after install. Would there be any benefit in making it invisible? I'm going to guess that having the resources in this folder now is what made my custom MPlayer build work while the MPlayer SAC build mentioned earlier in this thread wouldn't work for me.
Old 2006-10-10, 10:52   Link #72
ichobi

Errm, just a quick question , i ordered Macbook 1.8Ghz 13" and it will arrive soon.

Is this machine capable of watching HD anime ? Like Honey & Clover II HD version from Solar. 1280x1024 resolution if i remember correctly.

On my ibook G4 12" , of course lacks horse power.

Anyone try that already ? Please leave your comment on its performance.
Cheers!
Old 2006-10-10, 16:30   Link #73
blueorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
OGM only supports SRT (plain text) subtitles, but if you can style external .SRT's, then it really shouldn't matter. I guess it could be a bug...?
Hmm, it must be a bug. I used OGMDEMUX to extract the .SRT file and then tried playing the file again with the external .SRT subtitles. You could apply ASS styles to the external .SRT but not the one in the .OGM container. =(

But the handling of .OGM is odd on the mac anyway. You can't change audio track with alt-3 (#) like you can in MKVs you must specify with -aid 1
Old 2006-10-14, 04:10   Link #74
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

@ NemoMac

Only in the issue of neatness. Keeping the /opt/ directory visible won't damage anything, the only reason I had for making it invisible again is to make the root directory of my drive 'look prettier.' If you don't care, then nope, no problems with it

@ ichobi

How much RAM have you loaded the Macbook with? I'm pretty sure that the Core Duo/Yonah chip should be able to playback h.264 video quite nicely, but you might run into a bottleneck with regards to the onboard video and a low amount of RAM.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-10-14, 18:00   Link #75
ichobi

Ah, i must be really really stupid... I just remembered....

1.I had Athlon 64 3200+ / 512mb Ram , back at my home in Thailand but now am in the UK with the current iBook
2.I watched H&C II 1280x1024 res , last summer holiday with that Athlon PC , and it played just fine, smooth as silk.

3.This Macbook I ordered , is shipped with Intel Core Duo 1.8Ghz , performance wise, it's supposed to be twice as fast as my period Athlon....thus , Macbook= more than sufficient for watching HD Anime ~Silly me!

Thanks anyway Andiyar! when the macbook arrives, i'll have it full loaded with 2gb ram no problem! It comes with 512Mb ram by the way. I hope this macbook can last my abuse ( and i mean abuse ) for another 2-3 years! The current ibook serves me really well just a tad insufficient for watching higres anime though.
Old 2006-11-17, 08:25   Link #76
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Just a brief note here - appears that the build I posted of MPlayer is a bit more popular than I thought it'd be - since uploading it a month ago it's been downloaded to the tune of approximately 1.5GB of data - at 19 odd MB per copy, it's getting close to a hundred downloads, which is interesting. Nice to know we've got a reasonably large Mac using crowd here on AnimeSuki. Good to know that all that excess bandwidth I've had sitting around for a while is finally doing something useful.

Oh yes, for those who didn't notice, I've moved the file (the links work correctly still, as I modified them) and updated the build a week or two ago to include a newer version of the CVS. I might make a habit of doing so, just for the sake of staying current, I guess. Pity there's still no 'official' RC1 build of MPlayer though, as it includes all the functionality of this custom one too. Ah well - soon perhaps! Until then, well, no problems for me leaving the file up. ^^

-Andiyar

Last edited by andiyar; 2006-11-23 at 06:52.
Old 2006-11-19, 14:07   Link #77
ichobi

Your custom build just works great on my iBook, andi! it might just be me but I do notice image quality improvement from your build or my eyes just went nut.
But it's somewhat faster than the normal version
Old 2006-11-19, 20:38   Link #78
kyonuchi

hi,

i just wanted to know if it's possible to watch fansubs at a decent speed on a 3G iMac. if you want to know the specs, it has a processor speed of 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM, and an ATI video card(I don't know the exact brand).

sorry if my question sounds newbish, but i'm new to the world of fansubs and in fact am going to download my first episode soon.

i would just download an episode to try it out, but i have 56k(takes a long time) so i want to make sure that i can at least watch fansubs before i spend the time to download them.

thanks very much.
Old 2006-11-19, 22:00   Link #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyonuchi View Post
hi,

i just wanted to know if it's possible to watch fansubs at a decent speed on a 3G iMac. if you want to know the specs, it has a processor speed of 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM, and an ATI video card(I don't know the exact brand).
Probably not. I used to have a machine with similar specs a few years ago, and playing fansubs with it was tricky. Your iMac won't be able to handle anything fancy, such as soft subs, H.264 video, AAC audio, HD, etc. Luckily, most fansubs don't use any of the aforementioned features, and the ones that does are usually marked as such.

Here's a 24 MB clip I excerpted from a typical fansub; try it on your iMac. If it chokes on this, then it's time for you to get a new machine.
Old 2006-11-20, 16:18   Link #80
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyonuchi View Post
hi,

Hmm you MIGHT be able to watch simple xvid files. What operating system are you running? I'm guessing 8.6 or 9...
You will most likely have to download an xvid component for Quicktime, although I don't even know if there is an xvid component available for Classic...

Also something tells me downloading a file on bittorrent from a dial-up connection might be impossible...

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate