AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-09, 19:05   Link #41
Lina
moo.

The action gave me a bit of an adrenalin rush so I guess I'll follow it. I don't appreciate the mecha but I do enjoy the guns. Plus, you don't see too many cowgirls in anime. Meg definitely seems to have something for Jo... About the fanservice, yeah, there seems to be a lot of lack of clothing but they're not flashing anyone so far.
Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 19:13   Link #42
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
And thats exactly why it sells Sil Eighty -- fanservice sells. The economy is still rather bad in Japan these days, so especially GONZO produces "sure winners" that will draw a profit from these types of series with total fanservice and weak hollow plot. They know that the kids will "look past that" if they are mezmerized for 30mins by bouncing boobies :P
Well I wasnt really commenting on the fanservice. Dont get me wrong I have no problems with a lil fanservice and i hope its not excessive, but i was mostly into the action. Right now this is great for me cuz i need something more faced paced to watch. Ive been watching the slower, more indepth animes and I need a good dose of an adreneline packed anime every now and than. Fanservice is just a plus. Good thing the girls dont have humongous boobs though that woulda turned me off -.-;
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 19:21   Link #43
rorosama

i saw the trailer and was turned off by the mechas. So is this series robo action or human action? If robo action then no for me. If human action then i'll download. Please let me know.
rorosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 19:32   Link #44
SimplyEd
Claytard

Just saw the Lunar version of Bakuretsu Tenshi and i have to say: Two thumbs up, Ed loooovvveeesss Baku Ten^^
Nice setting, interesting characters plus chara-design, good music score "Everybody Loosey^^", a really,really nice dress up scene with Jo and nice mecha action (looks like cell shading).

Fav line for the first episode from Jo: "Can I shoot all of them?"

And yes, as it was stated before, it does look like a cross-over between Bubblegum Crisis, Cowboy Bebop and a bit of Noir.
SimplyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 19:56   Link #45
Ranko
Mech Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to Ranko Send a message via AIM to Ranko
Honestly i think Gonzo is one of the best out there right up there next to Gainax, Xebec and Beetrain, on my list of groups that have to really mess up to get me mad.

Remember Kiddy grade? first episodes make you think fanservice only, but by episode 4 there are undertones of something.................... wait and see

ps. Happy Easter everyone,
Ranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 01:39   Link #46
Boxy

Send a message via MSN to Boxy
Well IMO this is one of the best i've seen so far this season, having not seen a mecha anime in a while. Gonzo have made this a series to be very interested in.

We cant be sure what the plot will be like from the first series of the episode so mabie we should all give it a few more before we call it a rip off.

Did anyone else get a Nadesico feel from this? Cook gets taken off to war and becomes embroiled in the conflicts to come. (ep 2 said something about him being involved in the rescue operation.) I didnt get the noir feel from this, tho i immediately saw Auska from NGE in the Meg character (correct me if im wrong with the names).

I'll follow it into the forseeable future.
Boxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 01:59   Link #47
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Well after watching the first episode this series seems kinda dry storywise, but its so pretty to look at. Gotta check out more episodes. But out of the 5 new series I've seen so far its 4th right above mars daybreak.

And as I expected it looked like this new series got by far the most downloads.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 02:12   Link #48
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

after rewatching the first episode, it seems getting better and better, as I noticed some very nice details that I have missed earlier. the actions look quite good now. And it feels more and more like BGC too...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 04:51   Link #49
JediNight
キズランダム

I got to watch the first ep now and its OK for what it is catering to. Heavy influences from Bubblegum Crisis, with a smattering of Cowboy Bebop and character transplants of Asuka from Eva and Skuld from AMG and Akito the Cook (same seiyuu sounds like) from Nadesico ;p

Spoiler:
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 04:54   Link #50
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

I didn't think I was going to like this at first, not a huge fan of mecha stuff, but that OP got me hooked (yes, even the engrish), not sure where this plot is going, but it started out pretty good. Give it a try if you haven't yet
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 05:14   Link #51
Airnest

This series is GANGSTA! It's gonna be my first priority of all the new series to be downloaded. Definitely kick-ass action.
Airnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 07:37   Link #52
Me|2c

Grey hair.. Red eyes.. Rei anyone? Well, Jo sure doesn't act like Rei, but the character designs are so strangely close to EVA. Despite that, it really caught my attention. There isn't much plot in the pilot episode, but I was kept gawking by the CG eye candy.

Awesome. That makes three new animes i have to download each week.
Me|2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 08:48   Link #53
Boxy

Send a message via MSN to Boxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me|2c
Grey hair.. Red eyes.. Rei anyone? Well, Jo sure doesn't act like Rei, but the character designs are so strangely close to EVA. Despite that, it really caught my attention. There isn't much plot in the pilot episode, but I was kept gawking by the CG eye candy.

I know what ya mean... i think i'll be downloading about 5 or 6 a week for a while.
Boxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 10:14   Link #54
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me|2c

Hmmm... personally I think Meg looks like Asuka a bit, and that's the only character design that looks similar to EVA for me... even then Meg's hair style is totally different... Jo... I guess her complexion and personality are just so different from Rei that I can't related her to Rei in EVA (and her hair is whitish grey, while Rei's bluish grey). I guess the character personalities are just too different... and I find the characters in Baku-Ten more likeable than those in EVA
Old 2004-04-10, 11:29   Link #55
dreamless

err... Jo... Noir... EVA... what's next?

Is there a muscular female character in Noir? No. Is there a muscular female character in EVA? No.

Also I'd say a series with explosions, T&A and mass fanservice can be a great series, the example being GONZO's own Vandread series
Old 2004-04-10, 11:45   Link #56
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

interesting show, the character designs are very nice. The red eyed chick is quite hot too. not bad at all
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 12:13   Link #57
ArcHawk
Expand your world...

Looks promising. I was a bit worried about the skimpy outfits at first - not that I don't like a little fan service now and then, but I was worried it was going to approach the absurd level of Daphne...ridiculuous not attractive. Well, they are pretty skimpy, especially Jo's, but its tolerable. And I love Sei's character design...she's gorgeous and its nice to have a main character that appears to be older than high school age.

Production values are great and knowing this is the first episode, there is absolutely no reason to doubt the plot development at this point. The theme may not be brand new, but I have faith GONZO will make something of it.
ArcHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 12:35   Link #58
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
I still prefer regular animated mecha over the CG GONZO uses more and more -- it still doesn't mesh quite right ... the movements are too slow and awkward for everything that happened in the first battle scene.
It is not your regular mecha on crack fight. Watch carefully, this mecha combat is actually a John Woo type fight. When there is a particular action sequence (evasion, dodge or single gunshot), it is shown in what is now commonly termed 'bullet time' (bleagh) except that they won't go into the blur motion thingee.

That's the beauty of it here to me. It is not a technical fault of animation nor is it slow or awkward. The OP also showed this with the rounds slowly coming towards you from Joe's guns.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 14:26   Link #59
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
It is not your regular mecha on crack fight. Watch carefully, this mecha combat is actually a John Woo type fight. When there is a particular action sequence (evasion, dodge or single gunshot), it is shown in what is now commonly termed 'bullet time' (bleagh) except that they won't go into the blur motion thingee.

That's the beauty of it here to me. It is not a technical fault of animation nor is it slow or awkward. The OP also showed this with the rounds slowly coming towards you from Joe's guns.
What I meant is that the entire CG battles seems to be slow like that. I didn't notice just a small part slowed down to "bullet time" .... even stuff such as dodging the tentacle things impacting the bridge was slow.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 18:01   Link #60
Kensuke

Hmm... I'm not impressed after first episode, but I will give it a shot, one more series to follow. I like the character design, especially Meg (or should I say Asuka-clone).
Anime by GONZO (Full Metal Panic!, Hellsing, Vandread, Last Exile) cannot be bad...
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote