AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-04-09, 11:33   Link #1101
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

I think james0246 hit it in the head.
It's not about being the most gifted swordfighter but about surviving/winning long enough to build a reputation.

Bronn is probably not the best swordfighter in the seven realms but his streetsmarts and cunning allowed him to win against the knight of the Vale, back in season 2.

Also, Jaime may have great skill, but after days of captivity he was clearly not at his peak when Brienne pwned him.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 12:11   Link #1102
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So here's an absurd recap of the series.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-04-09, 12:16   Link #1103
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
Also, Jaime may have great skill, but after days of captivity he was clearly not at his peak when Brienne pwned him.
Days? I'm pretty sure they said it had been months, if not close to a year.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 19:26   Link #1104
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Days? I'm pretty sure they said it had been months, if not close to a year.
That was the point, I think - Jaime was utterly wasted physically there and Brienne is no slouch, and he acquitted himself remarkably well.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 21:07   Link #1105
Artful Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I might be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't that fight on the bridge pretty much a stalemate, with Jaimie's hands tied together, not wearing any armor, and probably in pretty bad condition due to being in captivity for some time? I just got the impression from that fight that if he were at his best, he'd have won, but also that Brienne is still an exceptional warrior for being able to go toe to toe with him, even if he was handicapped.
Okay these comments made me watch the fight again (actually, talking about GoT in general makes me want to watch whatever scene I'm talking about tbh lol). Anyway I can see what others have been saying with much more clarity.

Anyway, the fight didn't look like a stalemate to me at all. It started out well, but before long it became pretty easy for Brienne and she even started defending Jaime's attacks nonchalantly, single-handed, holding what looked like a two-handed sword.

With that said, I really missed alot of information when I first watched it. What I didn't notice before as the fight went on, was the camera specifically focusing on Jaime holding out his sword toward Brienne and dropping it --which she noticed and grinned. His attacks soon thereafter were followed by him wheezing, gasping, and dragging the sword on the ground, unable to hold it up.

I obviously didn't pay as close attention to this fight before, but I'd definitely agree that he apparently lost due to his poor health, as he was doing pretty well in the beginning. The punches and kicks to the gut from Brienne clad in armor probably took a substantial toll on him as well. Either way though, Brienne is obviously a pretty skilled swordsman in her own right, and apparently has freakish strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Jaime is most probably known as a great swordsmen entirely due to his participation and wins in tourneys and other competitions that generally did not end in death.
I didn't know his reputation only came from tournaments. It would have been great to see him fight someone who earned a reputation through actual battle and war. Yes, I know he fought Ned and that was a really cool fight, but it was also very short. I'd like to see him fight someone really seasoned from actual experience like Bronn, or the Hound.

Him being a tournament fighter explains his enthusiastic attitude towards duels and swords for me now. Now I can place his and Ned's mocking each other back in season 1 in better context; especially Ned saying "handsome armor, not a scratch on it", and "I don't fight in tournaments because when I fight a man for real, I don't want him to know what I can do".

Can someone explain without spoilers why Ned and Jaime disliked each other? I remember Jaime's side of the story as he explained it to Brienne, but I don't fully understand why Ned condemns him for those events, if what Jaime says is the truth.

Last edited by Artful Dodger; 2014-04-09 at 21:21.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 23:57   Link #1106
james0246

^
Quote:
I didn't know his reputation only came from tournaments. It would have been great to see him fight someone who earned a reputation through actual battle and war. Yes, I know he fought Ned and that was a really cool fight, but it was also very short. I'd like to see him fight someone really seasoned from actual experience like Bronn, or the Hound.
I somewhat unintentionally underplayed Jaime's reputation (quite) a bit. He won his first tourney at the age of 13, and was knighted at the age of 15 (during his only actual wartime battle pre-current events) after defeating a well known knight. (Admittedly, you do not get to see any of this in the television series, nor is it really referenced.) So, it's not like he was nothing but his championship titles, there is some real world experience there, and there would have been more if the Mad King hadn't forced him to not participate in Robert's Rebellion.

I think the point I am more trying to make is how martial strength is often considered completely irrelevant to the real power plays going on in the series.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 11:59   Link #1107
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Anyone else think Jaime and giant woman miiiight get close? ( I forgot her name D: )

Certainly better person for him than his.............-shiver-

Also, I think he looked bad ass when he was scruffy.
Old 2014-04-12, 09:10   Link #1108
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I think its more than obvious that his records got striken due to the whole "king slayer" thing.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 09:23   Link #1109
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
I obviously didn't pay as close attention to this fight before, but I'd definitely agree that he apparently lost due to his poor health, as he was doing pretty well in the beginning. The punches and kicks to the gut from Brienne clad in armor probably took a substantial toll on him as well. Either way though, Brienne is obviously a pretty skilled swordsman in her own right, and apparently has freakish strength.
Brienne has on multiple occasions knocked armored knights and warriors straight on their asses through sheer strength, so that can't be ignored. Loras is smacking her with a damn two handed axe, and he just cannot knock this bitch down.

...re-watching that duel between Loras and Brienne, it's even more evident. Loras is smacking her around with a two handed axe, and the bitch just won't go down.
YouTube

Frankly you have to get someone like the Hound before you can start expecting Brienne to lose out when it comes to physical strength.

edit: Honestly if anyone gets cut short it might be Loras. The guy isn't a brute, but he IS an incredibly skilled swordsmen...who has the incredibly shitty luck to constantly find himself getting pitted in fights against other highly skilled warriors, who are significantly to MASSIVELY stronger than him.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2014-04-13 at 19:55.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 09:35   Link #1110
GDB

So Loras' first name is Ser? I kept thinking they were being polite and calling him Sir.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 10:41   Link #1111
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I think "Ser" is just the title for nobility, basically same thing as "sir."
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 20:16   Link #1112
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I think "Ser" is just the title for nobility, basically same thing as "sir."
Yes, it is. It gets used hundreds of times in the series for everyone from Jaime to Barristan to Jorah, et al.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 21:20   Link #1113
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Loras is his first name, his full name is Loras Tyrell.
Old 2014-04-13, 09:08   Link #1114
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube

That was hilarious.
Old 2014-04-13, 10:08   Link #1115
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

That's a great trailer lol
Old 2014-04-13, 17:30   Link #1116
Midnight Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^

I somewhat unintentionally underplayed Jaime's reputation (quite) a bit. He won his first tourney at the age of 13, and was knighted at the age of 15 (during his only actual wartime battle pre-current events) after defeating a well known knight. (Admittedly, you do not get to see any of this in the television series, nor is it really referenced.) So, it's not like he was nothing but his championship titles, there is some real world experience there, and there would have been more if the Mad King hadn't forced him to not participate in Robert's Rebellion.

I think the point I am more trying to make is how martial strength is often considered completely irrelevant to the real power plays going on in the series.

Was the fight between Jaime and Ned in the series close to what happened in the book? Does the book describe it as close a fight as it was depicted in the show?
Midnight Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 19:01   Link #1117
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

There is no duel in the book.
If i remember correctly, Jaime didn't fight at all.
He only ordered his men to attack Ned's group.
In short, it's Ned and three of his guards vs lots of Lannister soldiers.
Hitenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 23:59   Link #1118
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

And Justin Bieber goes down!!!!! The crowd goes wild!!!!
Old 2014-04-14, 00:01   Link #1119
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Spoiler for Wow, SPOILERS:
Old 2014-04-14, 00:17   Link #1120
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Can't be a spoiler if the episode is already out

Anyway it's poison pie, the emphasis on the pie after the cutting, and him constantly saying that the pie is "dry". Now the question is, who poisoned the pie? Our former knight turned jester is obviously involved somehow, but who's the ringleader? I'm willing to bet it's our new queen~

Tags
game of thrones, hbo