3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.00%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-11, 08:42   Link #101
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The terrible terrible things Brigandia and Hamelin had done were better left in the original material. In the bad hands, it would have thrown Log Hora in the grimderp territory. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Sheba; 2013-12-11 at 09:35. Reason: rephrased to sound less long-winded
Old 2013-12-11, 09:15   Link #102
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

I like how both the source and adaptation doesn't wallow in the outright fanservice just to rake in the sales. When a contemporary series does it, it certainly stands out.

Though I do sometimes lament the "lost in adaptation" aspect of things. But then again, you can't really fit everything in 30 minutes. Its better to have the main points shine through in a coherent fashion than have a gobsmack of montages and content.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2013-12-11, 11:36   Link #103
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
Yea, agreed. But on the other hand, even with the heavy censoring, NHK managed to make the adaptation worked.Ive seen many anime that were adapted from novel/ln/vn pales in comparison to the source material(bad filler, changing plot, different ending,excessive fanservice, too much things get cut out and so on) . Compared to those, Loghora anime is arguably just slightly inferior to the source material, so credits to NHK I guess
I'd credit it more to the director, Shinji Ishihira. Aka, the director for Fairy Tail's anime, which likewise did an excellent job of being faithful to the source material, using information from the author and supplemental materials when adding anime original material, and being reasonable with censorship where needed.
Old 2013-12-11, 14:08   Link #104
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The terrible terrible things Brigandia and Hamelin had done were better left in the original material. In the bad hands, it would have thrown Log Hora in the grimderp territory. Just my opinion.
You call it "grimderp" while I on the other hand call it a realistic scenario of what would happen if an average person was given near limitless power with no real restrictions to keep them in check.

It would only be "grimderp" if it was in your face. We're trying to say that just implying it would've been much better then out right censoring a hugh chunk of the story but it's understandable why it was done.
Old 2013-12-11, 14:24   Link #105
Ickarium

Note that the poster said that in _bad hands_, it would. And they'd be right, too. This is the same sort of thing that caused the 90s Iron Age of comic books. People looked at Watchman and duplicated the surface and not the core themes of the series. Bad writers do that a lot.

Frankly, I'm kind of glad too, as rape is one of my triggers. The less it deals with that, the better in my opinion. Granted, from what I hear the LN were subtle about it, which is good for when I get around to reading the LN when they're all translated.
Old 2013-12-11, 15:11   Link #106
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Ehh, grimdark only really applies when there is no possible bright side to a story. Given that Shiroe pretty much fixed Akiba, it's not anywhere near that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordstriker21 View Post
the Undine appearing in cosplay instead of naked
Speaking of this, it's fun to note that this wasn't just pulled out of their ass by NHK. There is some ability to customize certain summons in Elder tale. In Mamare's description of the Summoner abilities, he notes that that Sword Princess summon is very customizable.
Old 2013-12-11, 18:15   Link #107
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

But. But. Mah grimdark

Yes, yes, I'll go back to my hole...

Old 2013-12-11, 20:00   Link #108
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Let me just clarify. I'm not saying NHK and Ishihara sensei are doing a bad job on the adaptation. I love the little inserts that showcase their creativity like that summoning scene (w/c was way more amusing than in the novel since in there it was just mentioned in passing, no Isaac cape flair and glittering background) and the upgraded curry scene (Shiroes reaction and face was just full of WIN).

But, well, Mamare Touno just incorporates those themes so amazingly into the narrative you can't help but feel a little short changed when they're taken out. They're not there just for pandering to the people who love this "grimdark" stuff but actually heighten the sense of Elder Tales being "their new reality". It was also done so subtly I never got to feel it was in poor taste unlike some other series. But if they do decide to make another season they really just can't cut these "dark" themes out because the story will kinda revolve around them.
Old 2013-12-11, 20:38   Link #109
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
As one of the guys noted, I said "in bad hands". This should have hinted people that while I trust Mamare Touno's narrative much more than its most vocal critics would give him credit for (and he have shown in his lastest Q&A that he want to improve), it's more how the anime adaptation could have handled it that worried me.
Old 2013-12-11, 21:01   Link #110
Swordstriker21
Oshite mairu!!!

Quote:
As one of the guys noted, I said "in bad hands". This should have hinted people that while I trust Mamare Touno's narrative much more than its most vocal critics would give him credit for (and he have shown in his lastest Q&A that he want to improve), it's more how the anime adaptation could have handled it that worried me.
I see your point. They're always walking on a tightrope whenever a studio decides to make an adaptation. I still enjoy the LH adaptation and probably will continue to. Hope season 2 gets OKd whenever that will be.