AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-21, 07:37   Link #2381
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
From the Free! Official Fanbook, Hiroko Utsumi interview, first question:
-The original novel, High☆ Speed!, took place in elementary school. Why did you decide to make the characters into high school students in Free!?
To start, I felt the manuscript was an awfully charming work when I first read it. At the same time, I felt the same as our judges; “They sort of feel like adults in children’s bodies.” High☆ Speed! takes place when the main cast are elementary school kids, but wouldn’t it still be entertaining to see a tale when they’re high schoolers? That was how I began thinking about having the anime set in high school. I was in a swimming club when I was in high school, so I could use my experience and help people understand the characters. Even now I can’t remember how I felt in elementary school despite having thought about it over and over… (laughs) And there’s also another more personal reason for it to be in high school… I like to draw beautiful bodies. (laughs) And so when I replied that I’d also like for the anime to be set in high school, Free!’s production began.

It's a sequel to High☆ Speed!. Utsumi/Yokotani thought of how the boys would grow up and be young men for the anime series.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2013-12-21, 11:23   Link #2382
Miraluka
Banned

If that's so then that just affirms what I'm saying, it'sanime original that just took some aspects/characters of that other series but definitely isn't official since its purpose was just marketing.
Old 2013-12-21, 14:03   Link #2383
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
If that's so then that just affirms what I'm saying, it'sanime original that just took some aspects/characters of that other series but definitely isn't official since its purpose was just marketing.
It is officially a sequel. The very first credit goes:
"Original work:
HighSpeed!
Kouji Ooji
(KA Esuma Bunko/Kyoto Animation)"

In addition, Utsumi said she was asked to make the original novel into an anime series, not an original series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidebook interview
-The new series Free! gives an image completely different than what Kyoto Animation has previously done. Would you mind telling us how you came to participate in this project?
Utsumi: To start, I was asked if I wanted to make High Speed!, one of the Encouragement award winners in the second Kyoto Animation Award, into an anime by the producers. The manuscript itself focused on elementary school boys, but there hasn’t been many anime titles focusing on boy leads as of late. It was a very entertaining story, so I really wanted to turn it into an anime.
Original: No source material
Adaptation: source material
This falls under the latter category. Though it has a lot of original elements, it's still an adaptation of the novel (as shown in the flashbacks).

Old 2013-12-23, 07:46   Link #2384
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

An interesting fact I came by... Free! (with 30,333 copies) sold about double of Chuunibyou (15,440) and triple of Hyouka (9,794). Actually it's their third most successful series after K-On (43,064) and Haruhi (41,038), surpassing even Clannad (24,808) and Air (24,346).
Old 2013-12-23, 08:16   Link #2385
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm not surprised. You know the purchasing power of fujoshi.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-12-23, 08:41   Link #2386
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'm not surprised. You know the purchasing power of fujoshi.
The fact that it took so long for KyoAni to tap on it is more surprising though
Old 2013-12-23, 08:53   Link #2387
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
The fact that it took so long for KyoAni to tap on it is more surprising though
You do know that prior to 2012, they were a contractor studio who took projects that Kadokawa (who gave them male-targetted light novels/manga) and TBS (who gave them Key visual novels and K-On!) asked them to animate for them, right?

It took them less than a year into their current business strategy to "tap the [fujoshi] market." Producer Oohashi (who produced the Chuunibyou franchise as well as worked as assistant producer on many past Kadokawa works) said at CTFK 2013 that they wanted to reach a wide variety of people with a wide variety of works in their first year as media mix producer. That's why their producers/board of executives chose to have a romantic comedy, slice-of-life Sazae-san type show, sports drama targeted towards women, and action fantasy series to lead off.

Old 2013-12-23, 09:16   Link #2388
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
You do know that prior to 2012, they were a contractor studio who took projects that Kadokawa (who gave them male-targetted light novels/manga) and TBS (who gave them Key visual novels and K-On!) asked them to animate for them, right?

It took them less than a year into their current business strategy to "tap the [fujoshi] market." Producer Oohashi (who produced the Chuunibyou franchise as well as worked as assistant producer on many past Kadokawa works) said at CTFK 2013 that they wanted to reach a wide variety of people with a wide variety of works in their first year as media mix producer. That's why their producers/board of executives chose to have a romantic comedy, slice-of-life Sazae-san type show, sports drama targeted towards women, and action fantasy series to lead off.
What I do know is that since 2009* they haven't animated any half decent story. As for the why, you have already mentioned. Still so many sales for Free! guarantees cute students doing cute things will always win the managers' choice to greenlight over an FMP sequel (or any other project that has an actual story to tell)

* and should I be strict that should have been 2005, but it's just a personal opinion.
Old 2013-12-23, 09:59   Link #2389
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
What I do know is that since 2009* they haven't animated any half decent story. As for the why, you have already mentioned. Still so many sales for Free! guarantees cute students doing cute things will always win the managers' choice to greenlight over an FMP sequel (or any other project that has an actual story to tell)

* and should I be strict that should have been 2005, but it's just a personal opinion.
Kyoto Animation has no bearing in a potential FMP sequel. If Kadokawa (though their Fujimi Shobo label) wants to promote the series, they can contract to other studios to do the animation work. Not to mention that FMP was subsidized by WOWOW (a satellite station) for the two main seasons and Fuji TV for Fumoffu, which means Kadokawa will likely want station sponsorship as well for any potential series due to low selling potential.

Old 2013-12-23, 10:17   Link #2390
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Kyoto Animation has no bearing in a potential FMP sequel. If Kadokawa (though their Fujimi Shobo label) wants to promote the series, they can contract to other studios to do the animation work. Not to mention that FMP was subsidized by WOWOW (a satellite station) for the two main seasons and Fuji TV for Fumoffu, which means Kadokawa will likely want station sponsorship as well for any potential series due to low selling potential.
Agreed, but KyoAni is in a position now to push for a sequel or remake. The fact that they don't and stick with their own stuff was my point. Anyway, at least now they will objectify and leech both genders, if this is any sort of justice

What i would like though is for them to use all their technical talent in better stories.
Old 2013-12-24, 15:59   Link #2391
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
It'll be great of Chuunibyou S2 manages to double the number of units sold.
Old 2013-12-24, 20:04   Link #2392
Miraluka
Banned

Second season usually sell less than their first season.
Old 2013-12-25, 07:03   Link #2393
cyth
Banned

When has this ever happened? I remember second seasons of K-ON! and CLANNAD outselling their first, but not doubling.
Old 2013-12-25, 14:56   Link #2394
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Second season usually sell less than their first season.
True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
When has this ever happened?
There are exceptions though...

Quote:
I remember second seasons of K-ON! and CLANNAD outselling their first, but not doubling.
I don't know about K-On, probably missing the first half wouldn't spoil the enjoyment of the rest. As for Clannad, the last few episode was the only original material the anime had to offer and had any rewatch value.
Old 2013-12-25, 22:55   Link #2395
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
When has this ever happened? I remember second seasons of K-ON! and CLANNAD outselling their first, but not doubling.
I don't think it's ever happened for a KyoAni series. But IIRC, Nanoha StrikerS sold about double what Nanoha A's did (which in turn sold a lot more than the original Nanoha), so its not totally unprecedented for sequels to enjoy considerably more sales success than originals.

Still, darkchibi07's hope is a long-shot hope to be sure.
Old 2013-12-26, 09:09   Link #2396
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Somewhat random note, but something to keep track of. Today's Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Lite Ren episode was the directorial debut of Takuya Yamamura. He has previously been the assistant director for Free! episode 5 (Kawanami directed episode), so it looks like Do has a new director on staff. I'm looking forward to see what he brings in the future.

Old 2013-12-30, 06:51   Link #2397
all_flying

Quote:

What i would like though is for them to use all their technical talent in better stories.
Every.single.time....
.... ever!

Seems people don't really understand how this industry actually works. Just look at Hyouka. Seriously!
Quote:
Except that K-ON! S2 has more episodes than the first. And CLANNAD first season was just way inferior compared to After Story.
Old 2013-12-30, 08:52   Link #2398
cyth
Banned

"If S2 had the same number of episodes as S1, it would sell double", "I didn't like S1 so obviously it didn't sell as well." Nice reasoning there.
Old 2013-12-30, 09:00   Link #2399
hinode

Incidentally, S2 of both Clannad and K-on sold less than S1.

The only shows on that list that more than doubled their predecessors' sales are the two Nanoha sequels and Aquarion Evol, though a few others were in the +70-80% range. Since that post was made, Symphogear G is on pace to double the original as well, and I think Uta no Prince-Sama will come close.
Old 2013-12-30, 09:48   Link #2400
all_flying

Quote:
"If S2 had the same number of episodes as S1, it would sell double", "I didn't like S1 so obviously it didn't sell as well." Nice reasoning there.
Aren't we the same
Closed Thread

Tags
studios