AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-24, 15:15   Link #241
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Yeah, and I see all these cool references to Japan! Man, KyoAni is so crafty and cool they lay all these out for observant people to find!

(I kid, lay off the knives.)

Lucky*Star isn't the most reference-laden show. Gintama beats it soundly. I saw this 3-ep arc and I couldn't stop laughing, because they were jabbing at historical figures and folk songs everywhere.
Aye, Gintama ... and how quickly people forget Pani Poni Dash ... a series so laden in referencing that individual frames might require an entire page to note all the cultural, historical, pop, and insider referencing Lucky Star's "cultural references" were in great part simply inserted by KyoAni adapters (the original material is more "Peanuts"-like slice-of-life). Many of PPD's references are in the original material.
Old 2009-02-24, 18:37   Link #242
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, Gintama ... and how quickly people forget Pani Poni Dash ... a series so laden in referencing that individual frames might require an entire page to note all the cultural, historical, pop, and insider referencing Lucky Star's "cultural references" were in great part simply inserted by KyoAni adapters (the original material is more "Peanuts"-like slice-of-life). Many of PPD's references are in the original material.
I think people liked to hunt L*S references because KyoAni put in all mainstream, common stuff that are dead easy to notice. Nobody's going to miss Akuma, Initial D, and most noticeably the KyoAni self-nods. That kind of spurred everyone to look for things that...are just standard anime gags in the 90s. Maybe I just saw too many 90s kids series that I got desensitized.

<offtopic>
I think I was the only one in the room to realize that Gintama was singing a folk song, besides the obvious Tokugawa Ieyasu jabs. Actually, I didn't realize it's a folk song until I looked it up - it was popular because a Japanese tenor's performance floated it on Oricon for half a year.

Spoiler for Listen to it here:

</offtopic>
Old 2009-12-11, 12:54   Link #243
Shadowfox026
Not really here...

In episode 17, there is a reference which was only very briefly covered. If I may, there are a few more details which might serve interesting.

The drawings in Konata's History book were indeed from Noein: To Your Other Self. They are of the Dragon Knights (also known as the Dragon Cavalry). In the middle is the main knight, Karasu, who appears to be tortured by Atori, which is the figure to the left. Atori always wished to inflictincredible pain on Karasu and hated him with a passion, hence why he is pictured laughing.

The figure to the right is Fukuro, who is Karasu's best friend. Although the two are close, their conflict over Haruka (whos name is being called in this drawing) has resulted in fights. Karasu's words "I'm not giving that up!" refer to Haruka, who is the 'Dragon Torque' and serves as the salvation for the world the Dragon Knights come from.
Old 2009-12-17, 02:59   Link #244
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Another hidden gem:

Old 2010-01-07, 22:46   Link #245
Dr.Slash

In episode 15 of Lucky Star, Konata's dad walks in and asks her about her book. She replies "Unique."
-This is a reference to an episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, when Kyon asks Yuki about her book and she also replies "Unique." I don't know the episode number but i will try to find it and post a link.

In episode 18 of Lucky Star, When Tsukasa is comparing Miyuki to a sheep Miyuki says "Fumoffu."
-This is a reference to Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu, where there is a theme park mascot who can only say "Fumoffu." There are also many apperances of this mascot throughout Lucky Star.

Hope this info is usefull to completing your reference thread!
Old 2010-01-08, 00:31   Link #246
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Slash View Post
In episode 15 of Lucky Star, Konata's dad walks in and asks her about her book. She replies "Unique."
-This is a reference to an episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, when Kyon asks Yuki about her book and she also replies "Unique." I don't know the episode number but i will try to find it and post a link.
I think that was from "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2" which was the first episode Yuki showed up in.
MAL
Old 2010-01-08, 02:17   Link #247
Sparvid
*hic*

Don't know exactly which episode it is, but it's from the second chapter of the light novel (I was reading that particular scene just yesterday), just before Haruhi bursts into the room with Mikuru.
Old 2010-01-12, 07:43   Link #248
game2007

Episode 21

At the part where they come into the train station in Kyoto, Konata says something like "Iris crashed through here" is a reference to the movie Gamera 3.
Closed Thread