AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2008-02-04, 04:51   Link #1001
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Meh, they better have a Nia artbook. If they're going to just concentrate on Yoko products for the next 10 years, I'm boycotting Gainax forever.
musashiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 05:07   Link #1002
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, red heads are always GAINAX's top girls, unless you're equating Nia to Rei.

I prefer Nia to Yoko a little more too.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 05:34   Link #1003
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I want more Nia stuff, too. She was a great character, but Yoko always manages to overshadow her, even though technically Nia was the main love interest.
Old 2008-02-04, 08:28   Link #1004
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

First impressions are important. Yoko had an eight episode head start. By then, a whole horde of fanboys were behind her. I guess I'm one of the few who weren't impressed.

Well I suppose she's hot and all, but something about her just doesn't attract me. Oh well, it's just a case of sour grapes for me, I suppose. I'll just go back to admiring my Nia figure, the only significant Nia merchandise out of a bunch of Yoko stuff.
musashiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 11:22   Link #1005
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Old 2008-02-04, 11:26   Link #1006
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
First impressions are important. Yoko had an eight episode head start. By then, a whole horde of fanboys were behind her. I guess I'm one of the few who weren't impressed.

Well I suppose she's hot and all, but something about her just doesn't attract me. Oh well, it's just a case of sour grapes for me, I suppose. I'll just go back to admiring my Nia figure, the only significant Nia merchandise out of a bunch of Yoko stuff.
Well I think it's the character development and tastes for MOE.

Either way this is the Yoko - Image Thread!!! And HELL YEAH!!! THOSE ARE DAMN HOT YOKO PICS!!!

Last edited by kenjiharima; 2008-02-04 at 11:29. Reason: typos
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 12:37   Link #1007
Arturia

Send a message via AIM to Arturia Send a message via MSN to Arturia
I can't wait to get my copy, now.

I can't imagine that's all the art there is to it, so I'm just gonna be patient for now.

Quote:
Well, red heads are always GAINAX's top girls, unless you're equating Nia to Rei.
The only real arguement I'd have there is that Nia was anything -but- emotionless. You can't really compare her to Rei, but.. yeah.

Asuka and Yoko are the sex appeal. Redheads will always be the targets of male horemones.
Gunbuster, anyone?

Rei and Nia are the moe factor. (Rei less so, but she doesn't flaunt.) At least until Nia dons her catsuit. Then she's just hot.
Arturia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 13:45   Link #1008
7Th
Mixtape

Actually, going by 2ch or the recent Gurren-Lagann event, Nia is a more popular CHARACTER than Yoko. Art-books or figures are based over visual design, and Yoko's is more "emblematic" in terms of overall sex-appeal.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 14:18   Link #1009
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Actually, going by 2ch or the recent Gurren-Lagann event, Nia is a more popular CHARACTER than Yoko. Art-books or figures are based over visual design, and Yoko's is more "emblematic" in terms of overall sex-appeal.
In other words, she's the mascot. Okay, that sounds a bit derogatory, but really, she is. She gets a lot of attention for being hot and thus she ends up being the main draw for male viewers.
Old 2008-02-04, 15:45   Link #1010
Whitefish

I wouldn't be feeling too bad about the lack of Nia merchandise. Yeah, Yoko has more stuff than her, but try being a fan of a character besides Yoko, Nia, Simon, or Kamina. I can't really see any characters besides those 4 getting an artbook.

Yoko really is the mascot in a way. Seeing a piece of Yoko fanart is what got me to look into the series actually.
Whitefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 15:49   Link #1011
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait retard View Post
I wouldn't be feeling too bad about the lack of Nia merchandise. Yeah, Yoko has more stuff than her, but try being a fan of a character besides Yoko, Nia, Simon, or Kamina. I can't really see any characters besides those 4 getting an artbook.

Yoko really is the mascot in a way. Seeing a piece of Yoko fanart is what got me to look into the series actually.
Yes, despite being quite a hardcore mecha addict, it was Yoko who attract me to watch the show not Gurren Lagann. But then again, it was because Yoko looked like Nono to me, the greatest female mecha of all time.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 15:58   Link #1012
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait retard View Post

Except Viral.
Old 2008-02-04, 17:45   Link #1013
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Kittan gets some good art as well. Mostly it's the GAR characters.

And Nia is favored in Japanese boards because of her loli factor :P
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 18:33   Link #1014
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
And Nia is favored in Japanese boards because of her loli factor :P
Not really. Her cuteness is a factor, yeah, but I've read through the Nia threads and they talk a lot about how they love how strong she is and think Nia goes beyond being just a typical moe character. For example, when the 4th DVD came out, a photo was posted of a shop in Akihabara having an all-Nia advertisement scheme, but they didn't like it because Nia was OOC in the advertisement and whoever made it obviously hadn't watched the show.

And when the news came out that Simon and Nia "did what they had to do" in the seven-year timeskip, everyone was celebrating that Nia wasn't a virgin.
CSakuraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 19:53   Link #1015
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
Well forgive me, but I've never seen Nia as more than a very two dimensional character. Pretty much all she does (aside from angst a bit about her father's abandonment of her) is (at least at the beginning) have a very unfounded belief in Simon.

That's basically what she is for almost the entirety of the show, a cheerleader.
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 20:21   Link #1016
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
Well forgive me, but I've never seen Nia as more than a very two dimensional character. Pretty much all she does (aside from angst a bit about her father's abandonment of her) is (at least at the beginning) have a very unfounded belief in Simon.

That's basically what she is for almost the entirety of the show, a cheerleader.
She did help a lot besides being a cheerleader, she let Simon defeat the Anti-Spiral knowing her fate, she stood up to one of the four beastmen generals, she helped out Yoko get over her Kamina-less phase and even trusted her to shoot a Beastman that held her. Even as a cheerleader she helped Simon get past his Kamina-less phase.
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 20:24   Link #1017
UnDeaD

Quote:

I'll quote some Anonymous on 4chan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous on 4chan
When Yoko asked her how she could believe in Simon so much, and Nia's answer was "Nantonaku" which means "I just have a feeling." Basically she's saying that she doesn't have much to back up on, but she believes in him intuitively. And then she says the same thing to Yoko later when asked why she closed her eyes when Yoko was aiming at her, and that was what finally got Yoko to like her.

Pre-timeskip, Nia is well aware that she doesn't know everything about her friends, but she tries very hard to learn more, and she continues believing in them because from her observations, she thinks they're trustworthy. Even when the Great Gurren Brigade were suspicious of her in the beginning, she told Simon that she still got a warm feeling from them and thought they weren't bad people. And Simon was always there for her where her father was not. When she found out her father just thought of her as a doll, Simon told her she should just live as herself, accepting her as a human being. After all that, why should she doubt him? That's just how she views things.

Besides, she does end up losing her faith for a while when she turned Anti-Spiral, joining the hivemind and gaining all the knowledge about the Spiral Nemesis. And so Simon had to WORK to win back her faith. If he had died in prison, would that have made her believe in him again? No. It was only because he got to that point inside Cathedral Terra and was able to talk to her that she finally became her old self again.
UnDeaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 20:26   Link #1018
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDead
Anonymous on 4Chan

That's no Anonymous, kid. No Anonymous.

And PhantomX, your description of Nia couldn't be more wrong.
Old 2008-02-04, 20:28   Link #1019
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post

That's no Anonymous, kid. No Anonymous.
*is laughing*
CSakuraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 21:37   Link #1020
Whitefish

I wasn't a big fan of Nia myself, but she definitely had an important role in the series.
Whitefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
images