AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-16, 23:16   Link #2601
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
True, we don't want to be like Malaysia and Singapore.
Don't talk about that lol. It is bloody damn embarrassing to have retards fighting over that small piece of land. Heck it doesn't even have oil.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-05-17, 00:19   Link #2602
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, the lighthouse is of some use. Controlling marine traffic is not insignificant last time I checked.
Old 2009-05-17, 09:08   Link #2603
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, the lighthouse is of some use. Controlling marine traffic is not insignificant last time I checked.
Compared to the Spratly Islands dispute by Philippines, Vietnam and China, Pedra Branca is something which the severely retarded would fight over. The Spratly has gas, fishing grounds and corals, with proper reclaimation methods it can be a money churner. PB has NOTHING other than a lighthouse. Besides there are plenty of nav beacons around the rocks so the lighthouse is pretty much for a show only.

Besides it came along with the 3-sen water issue, so it is more of a face fight* rather than anything else.

1 month of social studies lessons wasted on that. I am glad I skipped most of those classes rather than listen to some propaganda (Most of the views given to the teachers are seriously lopsided but well phrased to influence the students. If the neighbour is distributing propaganda brochures, do we have to sink to their level in our schools?).

* - The politically correct word should be "sovereignty", but I don't really give a damn.

P.S I am not an opposer to that red dot's rules and regulations, and neither am I a wholesome supporter, but they certainly deserve the vehement criticism for wasting time, effort and resources on something so pointless, just like any other country which does the same.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-05-17, 09:13   Link #2604
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The issue of the Spratly's would never be resolved, as long as one country refuses to go in a resource sharing deal. Basically, the stuff is there, but good luck actually using any of it.

One of my history profs was asked to do some translations on Dutch (I believe) documents relating to the case. Also, I do believe that it was Malaysia who raised the hoo-ha in the first place. So, Singapore won because of better house-keeping.

Still, it's probably good exercise for the lawyers involved. Legal affairs always elude me.
Old 2009-05-17, 20:49   Link #2605
Shadow Kira01

U.S. asked Japan to suspend Nakasone's visit to Iran

Not sure why this is even an issue over a week after the visit, I mean.. Its not like that the United States are making strong protests or complaints over the visit. Besides, it is good that Nakasone is trying to improve relations with Iran considering that they did released a suspected agent of the United States after a review. Its a good sign!^^
Old 2009-05-17, 20:53   Link #2606
iLney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyChan View Post
Manchester United Win 18th Premier League title -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/8038259.stm

Boo!
Old 2009-05-17, 21:04   Link #2607
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
U.S. asked Japan to suspend Nakasone's visit to Iran

Not sure why this is even an issue over a week after the visit, I mean.. Its not like that the United States are making strong protests or complaints over the visit. Besides, it is good that Nakasone is trying to improve relations with Iran considering that they did released a suspected agent of the United States after a review. Its a good sign!^^
It's an issue because of the strong pro Israel lobby in the US. It was probably a case of, "We strongly protest your visit to a nation that's an enemy of Israel. Oh and have a nice trip and bring back some souvineers, like say any stray American journalists you happen to see wrongfully imprisoned there, thanks." Just something to make the lobbiests happy.

Lobbiests are of course the reason I support public financing for political campaigns. They'll lose a lot of their influence if they don't have campaign donations to promise and actually need to convince politicans that they should support the issue that's being lobbied for rather than buying that support.
Old 2009-05-18, 01:19   Link #2608
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Compared to the Spratly Islands dispute by Philippines, Vietnam and China, Pedra Branca is something which the severely retarded would fight over.
Now that you mentioned it, We Filipinos own the islands. I ask why not even one claiming state aside from ours agrees to take this spratly issue up into an international court (No, not even Big China)? Why? It's because they'll lose.
Old 2009-05-18, 01:39   Link #2609
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
Now that you mentioned it, We Filipinos own the islands. I ask why not even one claiming state aside from ours agrees to take this spratly issue up into an international court (No, not even Big China)? Why? It's because they'll lose.
More like they'll be unwilling to enforce any ruling by the ICJ. Very obviously the classical zero-sum game the fellows are playing here. However, I'm not even sure if there are valuable resources in the area. As I said before, even if there is stuff there, I don't expect extraction any time soon.
Old 2009-05-18, 01:55   Link #2610
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
More like they'll be unwilling to enforce any ruling by the ICJ. Very obviously the classical zero-sum game the fellows are playing here. However, I'm not even sure if there are valuable resources in the area. As I said before, even if there is stuff there, I don't expect extraction any time soon.
There's natural gas. When it becomes profitable, the Reds will surely cruise from the middle kingdom and cordon off the entire chain.

Now, we gotta have a capable navy to prevent that from happening, but that's an internal problem we cant even act on.. Frustrating.
Old 2009-05-18, 04:15   Link #2611
KimmyChan

Protests at Obama's abortion speech -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8054870.stm
Old 2009-05-18, 05:15   Link #2612
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
There's natural gas. When it becomes profitable, the Reds will surely cruise from the middle kingdom and cordon off the entire chain.

Now, we gotta have a capable navy to prevent that from happening, but that's an internal problem we cant even act on.. Frustrating.
Does your country have an aircraft carrier? No.

Does China have one? Soon.

Very soon it is that big ship that will make a whole of difference in the ownership of Spratly. Like what Zhanquan said, it will no longer be a fair issue concerning justice in the end.

Old 2009-05-18, 05:53   Link #2613
KimmyChan

Sri Lankan rebel leader 'is dead' -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8055015.stm
Old 2009-05-18, 06:16   Link #2614
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Quote:

Very soon it is that big ship that will make a whole of difference in the ownership of Spratly. Like what Zhanquan said, it will no longer be a fair issue concerning justice in the end.
Because the Phillipe president is sort of a US flirt, the US might get involved here. Much like it did in Taiwan, and the US has a wealth of aircraft carriers. Besides China has a few more pressing issues to deal with currently. I think the issue of ownership of these islands will be left in the air for a while, or at least until someone explores the seabed more and finds real oil reserves.

The biggest draw for these islands, from what I understand, isn't the islands at all but the relatively large exclusive economic zone that the sea would provide. The water is valuable for a high probability of containing an undetermined amount of oil and natural gas. So they have a relatively large potential value.
Old 2009-05-18, 06:34   Link #2615
KimmyChan

Jump in swine flu cases in Japan -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/8054881.stm
Old 2009-05-18, 06:36   Link #2616
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
Because the Phillipe president is sort of a US flirt, the US might get involved here. Much like it did in Taiwan, and the US has a wealth of aircraft carriers. Besides China has a few more pressing issues to deal with currently. I think the issue of ownership of these islands will be left in the air for a while, or at least until someone explores the seabed more and finds real oil reserves.

The biggest draw for these islands, from what I understand, isn't the islands at all but the relatively large exclusive economic zone that the sea would provide. The water is valuable for a high probability of containing an undetermined amount of oil and natural gas. So they have a relatively large potential value.
Which means that another place on earth becomes a perfect superweapon test site. Lovely. People need to learn how to share or leave things alone. I am for turning that place into a nature reserve or scorched earth.

US's Carrier 5th Fleet is always ready to strike, but with China's new equipment, it could end up as a naval stalemate.

Old 2009-05-18, 06:39   Link #2617
KimmyChan

Under-fire Speaker to address MPs -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8054657.stm
Old 2009-05-18, 11:31   Link #2618
Shadow Kira01

A New Era of Change

Hatoyama eager to face off with Aso in Diet debate

Hatoyama's strategies seem to be pretty good. Placing the one he defeated in the leadership battle as second-in-command within a party or group is typical action for party unity and is also a test of success. If Okada refused, then their party unity will suffer a blow. However, not just that Okada had accepted the position as secretary-general, even his supporter Noda has taken the seat of acting secretary-general to back up Okada when necessary implies that Hatoyama has managed to gain party unity which is essential for a rebellion.

Considering that Hatoyama was less popular than Okada prior to the election Saturday managed to garner more than 40% of public approval, it generally implies that it has been a given that if the Democratic Party of Japan maintains their approach and stance for the next couple of months, Hatoyama will no doubt become the next prime minister replacing Taro Aso.

Only problem is that the DPJ have yet to come up with some clear policies since Ozawa had ditched most of the diet debates, especially the ones concerning how the DPJ will deal with Japan-US bilateral relations under the new leadership of Hatoyama. As of now, it appears that the DPJ intends on promoting the position of Japan to a more equal ground, such as becoming actual partners of the United States in dealing with global issues as to the position of a subordinate-type now. This is a very good proposal but will it actually work out?

American president Obama plans on keeping his focus on Afghanistan, where the Talibans are frequently setting roadside bombs killing many soldiers daily. However, the shadow minister whom Hatoyama-san had devoted his loyalty to, Ozawa had plans to withdraw the SDF from lending aid to the Americans in Afghanistan which will eventually harm ties with the Obama leadership, even though Ozawa had been comparing his leadership with Obama's. If this is the case, how will Japan-US relations improve without first suffering severe deteriorations?

Considering how good Okada is with money issues, it would be awesome to see him in the seat of the finance ministry; the new government will no doubt be a non-corrupted one. Maybe, he will even manage to come up with some good ideas to resolve the financial turmoil. More over, Okada seems to be in opposition to Ozawa's previous unrealistic financial proposals in which the source of the fundings necessary for his plans to work out was never clearly identified. It would be nice if the DPJ led by Hatoyama and Okada will manage to resolve all these questionable issues and come up with some clear-cut policies. When it comes to political competition, policy debates are vital to making things lively and interesting.

As of now, I see that the DPJ will most likely win the next general election and that Hatoyama will become the new prime minister. It seems that most people have become tired of the LDP who has already led the nation for more than 50 years in which the last few years consist of the one-year resignation prime ministers and a worsening economic situation generally implies that this new era is one of "change", like Obama's slogan. Actually, a change of government also benefits the Liberal Democratic Party depending on how well the new government of DPJ will work things out. If they do a good job, they will most likely extend their term. If they do a poor job, the LDP will no doubt win back the position of government. More over, there is no powerful candidate to replace Taro Aso in the LDP that wields awesome charisma and powerful policies. There is Koizumi Junichiro but it is obvious that he is too smart to take the helms of the LDP when it is already in a state of beyond repairs. Generally, anybody who replaces Taro Aso in the LDP right now will no doubt get piled by stress and unsolvable issues. This answers the question as to why Taro Aso is still in charge of everything, most people are simply avoiding the fate of dealing with the severe issues of the economy as well as other issues of importance. Thus, it is best for the LDP to finally pass the baton over to the DPJ and during the years in which Hatoyama leads a new government, the LDP should regain its strength and restructure the party so that it will focus on both party unity and some good policies, as well as find all the right candidates who can replace the current ones as next generation hawks. And thus, I support the ousting of the LDP by the Democratic Party of Japan in the upcoming general election. It is a win-win situation for both political parties in the long-run; the best solution if nothing goes wrong.
Old 2009-05-18, 12:24   Link #2619
Thingle
Banned

Quote:

Yes Exactly. I find it frustrating to have little dingy boats as a "Navy"
Old 2009-05-19, 04:52   Link #2620
KimmyChan

Swedish garden wins Chelsea title -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8057052.stm
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international