AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-11-23, 14:30   Link #1
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Are -all- anime series subbed?

I'm still pretty much clueless about how fansubbing groups work. ^^;; I was curious about it, so I decided to ask this question. When a new season in Japan starts, do the fansubbing groups start subbing everything that's airing? Or do they just carefully pick certain series? And if you guys do pick certain series, how do you choose a series to fansub?
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 14:44   Link #2
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
no, not all are subbed..
like october series not subbed: BoBoBouBo BouBoBo, Tank Knight Potriss and some others...
picking method is usually that the group wants to see that series or are fans of the manga or game it's made of...
TaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 14:48   Link #3
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
Ohhh Okay!
Thanks for the answer. ^^
Old 2003-11-23, 15:53   Link #4
Wandering A.I.
エッチだ! しかたない

I notice a lot of series that never get fansubbed. I agree the group that does the fansubbing has to be interested in the series to do all the work, but availability of the raws online (or finding someone willing to pay for the DVDs, etc) is also a huge factor. Just capturing off TV takes time and equipment and some anime only airs on pay/sat channels and others only ever come out on DVD making it worse.
Wandering A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 16:04   Link #5
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Probably only 1 or 2% of all anime has been subbed. Most never has an english-language release. :X

Of course the trend is changing

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 16:13   Link #6
bayoab

Of the newer stuff, basically any series that is "popular" gets subbed. Otherwise nobody touches it. "Popular" means a)it was based on an h-game b) it is a sequal of some licensed series or likes like one c) it is not unique and same shitty rehashed formula d) people discover it gets over 5000 downloads on bt e)the manga is being scanlated and is heavily downloaded. If it doesnt match any of these criteria, unless there are people who like the show already, odds are nobody will touch it. I believe about 50% of the new season is being subbed, maybe higher. And as a certain industry person said "90% of the shows starting in japan are already licensed". Its mostly the older stuff that is unlicensed.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 18:35   Link #7
Sour-Do

Send a message via ICQ to Sour-Do Send a message via AIM to Sour-Do Send a message via MSN to Sour-Do Send a message via Yahoo to Sour-Do
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
"Popular" means a)it was based on an h-game
LOL! Insightful prioritization.

-- Sour-Do
AnimeMuyou!
Sour-Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 19:01   Link #8
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

=/ Ah, I understand.
That's too bad. I wish unpopular series were subbed too, but I can't do anything about it. ^^;; And I suppose fansubbers have a lot of hard work to do and they can't just sub everything. ..

I know that about 5-6 years ago, it took a lot more time to sub things than now. I mean, right now, it seems that when a popular series start, it gets subbed immediately. But back then, we had to wait one or two years, no? I remember when I still downloaded anime directly from websites..

I wonder why they liscence new series, though.. I mean, do they really have the intention of using the series? I'm surprised they haven't liscenced something like Naruto yet .. But they liscence less popular series just so that no one fansubs it? =/
Old 2003-11-23, 19:33   Link #9
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
=/ Ah, I understand.
That's too bad. I wish unpopular series were subbed too, but I can't do anything about it. ^^;; And I suppose fansubbers have a lot of hard work to do and they can't just sub everything. ..

I know that about 5-6 years ago, it took a lot more time to sub things than now. I mean, right now, it seems that when a popular series start, it gets subbed immediately. But back then, we had to wait one or two years, no? I remember when I still downloaded anime directly from websites..

I wonder why they liscence new series, though.. I mean, do they really have the intention of using the series? I'm surprised they haven't liscenced something like Naruto yet .. But they liscence less popular series just so that no one fansubs it? =/
Until a license is announced, no one can be truly sure if something is in the process of licensing agreements. Besides, I'm sure the license for Naruto is going to be a whole lot more expensive and/or complicated than something like Kiddy Grade. And of course companies have the intention of using the series if they paid money for it. Why else would they license it?
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 19:33   Link #10
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurara
=/ Ah, I understand.

I know that about 5-6 years ago, it took a lot more time to sub things than now.
Thanks to digital fansubs.

Yeah, it's a shame there still tons of unsubbed anime out there, especially older shows. Not allways because they're unpopular, but also because they're just hard to get or almost totally unknown outside of Japan.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 19:34   Link #11
Shenlong

Quote:
Popular" means a)it was based on an h-game
Thats a pretty stupid comment, many good series are based on H and sim games like kanon, kimi ga, mizuiro, to heart ect
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 19:51   Link #12
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenlong
Thats a pretty stupid comment, many good series are based on H and sim games like kanon, kimi ga, mizuiro, to heart ect
Erm... so you're saying good series are not supposed to be 'popular' ?
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 20:28   Link #13
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenlong
Almost all of the h-game to (non h)anime conversions after 2000 were subbed. And not everyone likes hgames. (offtopic rant): I for one find the majority of them to be repetitive crap more often than not. (example: kanon, green-green, eiken *shudder*, one) "Oooh, here is one guy and his best male friend, and 30 girls, and they all want in his pants (even if they are dating his best friend!)." Then there are those like tsukihime which seems somewhat creative and to heart which was actually a GOOD conversion instead of kanon which was a really shitty one.
(/offtopic rant)
Anyways, H-game base != good. They sub h-games because of fanservice and because leechers LOVE fanservice. Just because its a hgame does not make it good.

And i used the word "popular" in quotes because a)just because everyone likes it does not make it a good series. (offtopic rant) i.e. Naruto, .hack (/offtopic rant) and b) this is not literally popular

(Edit)
Popular and good do not equate, most fansubbers do not care how good a series is unless they are subbing for themselves. Anyways, whats good is a matter opinion, but it is no coincidence that every hgame shootoff series has been subbed.
(/Edit)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 21:04   Link #14
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
No, I know of atleast 3 shows this season that haven't even been mentioned let alone subbed.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 21:24   Link #15
marin

Quote:
Almost all of the h-game to (non h)anime conversions after 2000 were subbed. And not everyone likes hgames. (offtopic rant): I for one find the majority of them to be repetitive crap more often than not. (example: kanon, green-green, eiken *shudder*, one) "Oooh, here is one guy and his best male friend, and 30 girls, and they all want in his pants (even if they are dating his best friend!)." Then there are those like tsukihime which seems somewhat creative and to heart which was actually a GOOD conversion instead of kanon which was a really shitty one.
(/offtopic rant)
Anyways, H-game base != good. They sub h-games because of fanservice and because leechers LOVE fanservice. Just because its a hgame does not make it good.
Now that's not really fair, I don't think any of the series you mentioned actually are H, and while some have fanservice, no larger proportion do than series which aren't based on H-games.

I mean Ikkitousen probably beat any other series ever for fanservice quotient, but it wasn't an H-game, was it?

Kanon didn't have fanservice. Kimi doesn't really. And neither does Tsukihime.

And I liked Kanon. It was cute and sweet. And Kimi and Tsukihime are pretty good shows too.

And I'll admit that even DaCapo was funny in a couple episodes (Poetry Guy, Miharu online) though it does appear to have a bit of fanservice (and a largely gimmick-based female cast, which I'm noticing to be the bigger pitfall of H-game anime)

Hmmmm... was Gravitation based on an H-game?
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 21:56   Link #16
Saru-kun
"Ukiiii ~"

Send a message via AIM to Saru-kun Send a message via MSN to Saru-kun
Gravitation was based on the original manga by the same name, no game unfortunately.

I do agree with what bayoab said about the hentai games converted to anime. Many many animes have come from hentai titles in the recent years. Though not all of them have the same story base, I do have to admit that some dont even try to change much of the original crap story that would be more suited for a dating sim because of such scenarios.

Kanon was cute but the story was also kinda crap! Same goes for ONE, that was sweet but alot of it was some crap! Buut some of them shy away from that thankfully and make something totally different, take Shingetsutan Tsukihime and Comic Party for example. They seem to break away from the 2-guy 50-girl(that quote was funny btw) mold delivering a halfway decent story on its own.

But going back to the main subject, its a shame that alot of anime wasnt ever subbed but at least that one group is doing Mashin Eiyuudan Wataru, thats kinda kewl to see it after all these years! Wonders if anyone will sub Arcade Gamer Fubuki.
Saru-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-24, 05:12   Link #17
rayearth

Send a message via ICQ to rayearth
No, people don't like H game conversions due to fan service. These days, original series have more fan service than H game conversions. Those who are after H game conversions WITH fanservice would just go for H OVA releases.

The reason why there's a huge jump in H game conversions is because it's easier to just pick an already finished story and animate it again than making a new one up. Most H game conversion you see now are "Visual Novel" type games, meaning they have a long, complex and GOOD story. They're only called H games because they contain H content (whether the original game had lots (Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito) or very little (Kanon)). Besides, doing game conversion means you've already got a ready fanbase which is likely to watch/buy anything the company ditches out for the converted title (just look at the rediciously large amount of Kanon merchandise released for the Anime and even more redicious amount of people buying all of it - myself included).

Besides having readily avaliable fanbase, most games have characters that are "moe" (roughly translates to "cute" in English, but it's really more than that) that people love. In a recent online survey done in Japan, it was pointed out that the trend of Anime recently has been going "just moe and no story" (kinda like what we call "fanservice only with no story"), which means that most script writers aren't getting any better. So the smart move was to use proven good stories, and where else better to look than using a "Visual Novel" game script?

Give it some thought.
rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote