AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-03-05, 16:33   Link #2501
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Follow ups will likely happen on the 11th.
Old 2012-03-05, 16:58   Link #2502
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
True... as well as bigger advertising revenue.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 15:19   Link #2503
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Fukushima residents seek immigration to South Korea
Quote:
Fukushima residents seek immigration to South Korea
NATIONAL MAR. 06, 2012 - 03:45PM JST ( 45 )
SEOUL — A Japanese pastor has visited South Korea seeking immigration for dozens of residents after their region was devastated by a nuclear disaster last year, an official said Tuesday.

Pastor and civic activist Nagato Tsuboi from Fukushima visited the southwestern county of Jangsu last month, a county official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

“He came with several South Korean estate developers and said he was looking to buy land at a place similar to Fukushima, like our county and Jeju,” he said. Jeju is South Korea’s southern resort island.

The pastor said dozens of Fukushima residents hoped to live in a safe place where their children could live with no fears of radiation, the official said.

The Fukushima disaster was sparked by a huge earthquake and tsunami, leaving more than 19,000 people dead.

The official said Tsuboi described Jangsu, whose main industries are rice production and livestock farming, as a place similar to the disaster-stricken Japanese prefecture.

The pastor promised to contact county officials after returning home. “But he has not reached us yet,” the official said.

© 2012 AFP
I find this very interesting, I know that this is does not reflect most Japanese but interesting nonetheless.
Old 2012-03-06, 16:41   Link #2504
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Uggh. If they are that scared of radiation, they might as well try to get bananas banned along with reactors.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 17:13   Link #2505
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Just saw a 1 page article (with 4 or 5 full color photos) in Time magazine yesterday in a bookstore, so I picked it up and read what it had to say. Not much other than that reminding us that it happened 1 year ago, and that it has not proved to be a shot in the arm for the Japanese economy as some expected it to be, followed by listing some of the economic problems facing Japan at the moment.

Not terribly informative on the whole imo.

As regards Vexx's question, though, I am interested in the same sort of things too ... I have some friends in Nagoya (native Japanese) who went and visited the Tohoku area a month or so ago. She periodically updates me about some of the practical details going on in that part of the tsunami-struck Japan these days.

From what I remember, she mentioned that the area still has a lot of work to do - she mentioned that the tsunami left very strange "scenery", that some parts of Tohoku show no sign of anything happening a year ago, but when you turn around there are empty zones - entire areas have vanished - some places that were only a few inches higher escaped being "wiped clean". There were still ships and concrete poles strewn across the empty wasteland left by the tsunami. There were still mountains of broken cars and plenty of wreckage - wreckage not just as a result of the tsunami proper but from the many fires that were started from both it and the earthquake as well.

Tohoku is a town based on the fishing industry (and other related business) - people still want to live near the shore where their ancestors have lived for centuries, even with (and after) the danger of the tsunami. The lands near the shore have sunk 2-3 feet. Even after a year the administration does not have a clear overall plan to restore Tohoku, despite "immediate needs" being focused on as they demand attention.

Interestingly, she told me that even though the people she met and spoke with still live in a life of inconvenience they were very warm and genial, and as they told of their terrible experiences (such as escaping from the water, how they were found and taken to shelters and later walked around the devastated parts of the town looking for their relatives) they "...looked calm and joyful. On their faces we saw the light of life. We were very impressed." But those in Tohoku also stressed that the disaster is definitely not "passed" and asked that people not forget both them and others who were hit by the earthquake and tsunami.
Old 2012-03-09, 02:42   Link #2506
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-tsunami-...w-to-help.html

Yahoo News certainly hasn't forgotten the disaster, and included some helpful links.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 23:18   Link #2507
Shinji01

Discovery Channel is running programs on how Japan recovered.
None of the programs are interesting...
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 07:39   Link #2508
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji01 View Post
Discovery Channel is running programs on how Japan recovered.
None of the programs are interesting...
Actually, most of the documentaries came from NHK, with Ken Watanabe doing some of the narration.

Tomorrow, around 1:46pm, for a moment I'll drop work and give a minute of silence.
Old 2012-03-10, 19:49   Link #2509
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
When facing a natural disaster, we often feel small and powerless.
Yet one small action, if carried out by millions of people will add up to make a BIG difference.

Today is 11th March 2012. For people in Japan, a day of remembrance.
Please take out some seconds to click to donate 1 yen to the Tsunami relief.
... If you have twitter you can donate another yen (2 yen per day).
Many claim to not have money to help others, but this only requires less than 1 minute of your time.
No excuses.

If you don't believe me, see how much has been donated to date from just 1 yen per click.
When we all focus our thoughts together as one, humans can be pretty cool

Website here
Of course, this can be done once a day, everyday. Perhaps you'd like to take upon a challenge to faithfully donate everyday via this website ^^

Also to abuse social networks, feel free to copy my above message for your Facebook.
For those on twitter, please copy below...

おはようございます。小銭義援金貯金も始めました。小さな積み重ねが、大きな力に。ユニリーバ東日本大震災 ツイッター募金(無料) http://bit.ly/fTDNYR #unileverjapan #prayforjapan

or

Please click and retweet: Unilever donates 1 yen for relief efforts in Japan for free http://bit.ly/gkBlNs #unileverjapan #prayforjapan

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 19:55   Link #2510
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

To continue:
(Those in the UK, feel free to kick my ass for not posting this earlier to give you time to make plans to attend this event...) m(_ _)m

For those in the UK and wanting to contribute something towards the victims of the March 11th quake, please check out the info for this charity event in London this Sunday (1 year anniversary)

11th March 2012 from 9.30am until 4.30pm
Great Portland Street, London

Regular Ticket Ł5.00 Buy on the day
Student Ticket Ł4.00 Buy on the day
Bring Student ID!
Child Ticket FREE For under 11 year olds See more

www.bunka-sai.com
Sunday 11th March, 2012 Park Crescent Conference Centre 229 Great Portland Street London W1W 5PN09:30am to 04:30pm

Programme
Spoiler:

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2012-03-10, 22:07   Link #2511
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Actually, most of the documentaries came from NHK, with Ken Watanabe doing some of the narration.

Tomorrow, around 1:46pm, for a moment I'll drop work and give a minute of silence.
No wonder!
It is so politically correct with icing and cherry on top that it never touches the nitty gritty stuff.
I enjoyed their one hour program that came out right after the earthquake though.

I think if japan wants their people to remember the earthquake and bust their ass recovering from it, they should show the honest truth, not people washing photos and trying to return it to the owners.

What about the power plants?
What about the missing people?
What did the JSDF see???

Soooo typical NHK.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 00:52   Link #2512
sa547
*Author

It's several minutes past 1:46pm local time (2:46pm JST). One minute of silence to the thousands of lives lost on that day, and millions more displaced.
Old 2012-03-11, 01:42   Link #2513
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
When facing a natural disaster, we often feel small and powerless.
Yet one small action, if carried out by millions of people will add up to make a BIG difference.

Today is 11th March 2012. For people in Japan, a day of remembrance.
Please take out some seconds to click to donate 1 yen to the Tsunami relief.
... If you have twitter you can donate another yen (2 yen per day).
Many claim to not have money to help others, but this only requires less than 1 minute of your time.
No excuses.

If you don't believe me, see how much has been donated to date from just 1 yen per click.
When we all focus our thoughts together as one, humans can be pretty cool

Website here
Of course, this can be done once a day, everyday. Perhaps you'd like to take upon a challenge to faithfully donate everyday via this website ^^

Also to abuse social networks, feel free to copy my above message for your Facebook.
For those on twitter, please copy below...

おはようございます。小銭義援金貯金も始めました。小さな積み重ねが、大きな力に。ユニリーバ東日本大震災 ツイッター募金(無料) http://bit.ly/fTDNYR #unileverjapan #prayforjapan

or

Please click and retweet: Unilever donates 1 yen for relief efforts in Japan for free http://bit.ly/gkBlNs #unileverjapan #prayforjapan
Ah, cool. Thanks for the link to that site, Mystique! I will try and click the button on that site every day. This is such a very easy way to contribute something to the relief efforts. I hope a lot of people who see the link to that site gets involved, if they haven't already.
tenkenX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 02:11   Link #2514
Kyuu
=^^=

Likewise, let's not forget the scumbags:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gil-as..._b_836183.html

I'm going to speculate: many of these people are butthurt rednecks. Of course, since then, many of 'em have been hit by drought, tornado, etc. In that position, they'd be crying to the federal government for disaster aid, or something.

Even if they're not in that kind of position, they'd be crying just the same.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 02:37   Link #2515
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

I'm going to speculate: many of these people are butthurt rednecks. Of course, since then, many of 'em have been hit by drought, tornado, etc. In that position, they'd be crying to the federal government for disaster aid, or something.

Let's face it, some Americans, just everyday, average joe Americans, are bad people. Those people that thought the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami in Japan was karmic punishment for Pearl Harbor are very ignorant and stupid, among other bad things. I mean, really people? Like that article points out, around 2,400 people at Pearl Harbor died from the attack and then around 1,800 were injured. Then we declared war on Japan and ended up killing hundreds of thousands, if not (and probably) millions of Japanese civillians with fire bombings and the A-bombs. Then after WW II, Japan became a peace loving nation and a great ally to the U.S., and has been a peace loving ally to the U.S. for decades. But look out! Japan still needed to pay more for the Pearl Harbour incident! Because those weren't just any people that died at Pearl Harbor. They were Americans, and as we all know, an American life is worth significantly more than the life of all non-Americans.

Americuh.
Old 2012-03-11, 05:31   Link #2516
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Kyuu, I am gonna forget about the scumbags, cause why would I waste precious time of my life that I'll never get back worrying or even thinking about flea brain sized idiots.
Ignorance sometimes is a greater weapon that action. At least for Asuki, methinks most have got their heads screwed on right here

@ Tenken:
You're welcome, I'll add it to the charity sticky later and stick in my own signature too.
I doubt it'd be overkill to have it as a global announcement on the forums so everyone sees it when they next log into Asuki *coughadmincough*

Old 2012-03-11, 09:27   Link #2517
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

They might want to reconsider that position if, or rather when, the Cascadia Subduction Zone snaps off the coast of Oregon and Washington state.

Already some doomsayers are predicting a major quake in that region on March 22. Why that specific date? Apparently it's 11 days after the anniversary of the Tohoku quake, just as Tohoku was 11 days after the anniversary of the Chile quake.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 05:05   Link #2518
helois

italian ansa is reporting a sad news about another earthquake and dangerous choice of tsunami...

poor Japan...

(hope there is no need to open another topic)
helois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 07:42   Link #2519
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I just heard on the news that there was a 6.8 causing a small tsunami in the north part of Japan.

Endless "Hang in there" Soul
Old 2012-03-14, 11:35   Link #2520
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Japan Tsunami - Pics of the aftermath and now

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...es_before.html

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami