AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 17 29.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 26.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 15.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 7.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 3.51%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-19, 18:04   Link #281
Snowman24

All the Chibi characters kind of freaked me out, all except Marina, she was so funny and cute.

And Poor Selvaria :*(
Old 2009-08-19, 18:05   Link #282
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
All the Chibi characters kind of freaked me out, all except Marina, she was so funny and cute.
I'm just glad it didn't stay chibi all the time. If it did, i probably would have murdered someone.
Old 2009-08-19, 18:14   Link #283
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
and mmm Selvaria was carrying a delicious watermelon there in the end >.>
Weren't there three?

Old 2009-08-19, 18:39   Link #284
Snowman24

^Gah...that's messed up rofl
Old 2009-08-19, 18:55   Link #285
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
The little extra episode was cute. I'm glad they put that in there. The Chibi was a nice touch to differentiate it from the game.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-08-19, 21:23   Link #286
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

I get the impression that people are just looking for reasons to rant now...not that there aren't any, I just don't think there are any big problems in this episode. Nothing that tops previous episodes. Or maybe I've just gotten used it...

Anyway, do you want me to un-squish your DP Snowman24? >.>
Old 2009-08-19, 22:42   Link #287
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post
I get the impression that people are just looking for reasons to rant now...not that there aren't any, I just don't think there are any big problems in this episode. Nothing that tops previous episodes. Or maybe I've just gotten used it...

Anyway, do you want me to un-squish your DP Snowman24? >.>
Well, you're not the only one here that thinks that way. Personally, I thought that this episode was a nice surprise to show that Valkyria Chronicles isn't all happy-go-lucky it's made out to be.
Old 2009-08-19, 22:54   Link #288
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
Well, you're not the only one here that thinks that way. Personally, I thought that this episode was a nice surprise to show that Valkyria Chronicles isn't all happy-go-lucky it's made out to be.
The episode only works if Fabio shot Alicia because he thought she was a danger to Gallia. If he shot her to turn her into Valkyria mode, then based on how the series has been presented to us, the episode was nothing short of fail.
Old 2009-08-19, 22:56   Link #289
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post

And Poor Selvaria :*(
They also freaked me out, but still they were nice. I'm glad they put on scenes with their non-chibi forms too.

Marina was really cool on a surfing board.

Indeed, poor Selvaria. Being left all alone in such a beautiful place must be a tough one to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Weren't there three?
Oh boy! They were huge indeed (SAME SIZE!) and Maximilian must be a real ass not to drool just by the looks of them.
Old 2009-08-19, 23:32   Link #290
aulzon

Faldio suddenly doing what he did at the end rubbed me off as a little forced and out of character. In the game there is a better contrast because Faldio in the game isn't this upstanding nice guy that suddenly shoots Alicia. There was an intent and a reason behind it.

Although I could see this working better if he redeems himself. Like explaining that he lost his mind suddenly.
Old 2009-08-19, 23:58   Link #291
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
The episode only works if Fabio shot Alicia because he thought she was a danger to Gallia. If he shot her to turn her into Valkyria mode, then based on how the series has been presented to us, the episode was nothing short of fail.
Gah, it was bad, but it wasn't that bad. From what I gather, I think the writer wanted to show that Faldio knew and was planning something with all those scenes from previous eps, but I think he was supposed to have a change in heart or something. -> Confidence that they had the advantage and were not in a desperate situation suggested by the briefing of Naggiar, Ramal somehow, and initial success fighting the Batomys, probably relieved him from thoughts about needing to resort to drastic maneuvers. Is that why he seemed bothered for the former half of this episode? That business in the cafeteria and such.

And of course, his hope that he didn't need sacrifice someone, was crushed when an actual Valkyur spitter turreted everything...It seems reasonable to me that he would be convinced it was necessary and shoot-it's not like he didn't plan to-at least I'm quite certain that's what the writer wanted to say, albeit poorly but that's no surprise to anyone by now. Anime Faldio has been shown as mature and rational. Sure he cares for people, but he doesn't enter excessive emo state when people are killed. Although he does look shell shocked and traumatized by the annihilation of his squad-the picture, he seems to be more concerned about the power of Imperial military and the severe disadvatange Gallia is now in.

When only considering his anime behavior, the decision seems fine to me. The scripts so vague it doesn't close off too many possibilities, and thus I don't see why people have such a hard time swallowing this...especially when there are other more ridiculous character transitions-but that's a whole different series...

OH! And whats with the huge reactions to him using a pistol as to a rifle? Ja, ja getting away with it is much harder, but I definitely don't think this anime much cares for transitions and consistencies. And for those arguing the lethality, both weapons were used at their effective ranges. Although a rifle seemed a little dangerous...overkill...but it was an excellent choice. Pistol? Desperation, urgency, only thing he had on hand. From the looks of things he wasn't going anywhere- no chance to set up. But wait, he was in the medical ward, and was kinda deemed unfit for combat, why did they let him keep his weapon? Whatever, nothing surprising at this point in the series.

I'd like them to hire a military advisor or some sort-like what strike witches did...they're combat, animations tactics...well...i believe the opinion is well known...

But seriously...his decision seems fine. It's nothing totally out of character or contradictory to behavior and beliefs/values, motivations. Perhaps everyone's just using it as an outlet for their frustration over the unwise changes?

Quote:
VC wasn't suppose to be happy-go-lucky, since it does have a war setting, that was just a negative side effect of the original writers wanting to use 3d engines for something pretty instead of raw, brutal and ugly. The war is hell theme is overused and depressing, with plenty of great works out there as there is.

But as what this episode showed?...It was kinda jokes...>.< a Narm imo

And for Snowman:

Last edited by SoggySoyBean; 2009-08-20 at 00:32. Reason: i can't shpiel
Old 2009-08-20, 00:06   Link #292
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
You're not a real person Justin, you won't get it. Only real people will get that when some alien kills your friends or comrades, you need to take out all other aliens regardless if they are friend or foe as long as they are aliens.
Damn. So if I'm not real? What am I? And what does that make all of you?
Old 2009-08-20, 00:06   Link #293
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Suddenly I can't wait for the next episode to come out. From the preview that I've seen for the next episode, it seems that Faldio is feeling fine and dandy.
Old 2009-08-20, 00:35   Link #294
mrjpark
Raging Ami-chan fanboy

I have no idea why she exists in this anime, but couldn't Susie have some more screen time? xD
Old 2009-08-20, 00:38   Link #295
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
From the preview that I've seen for the next episode, it seems that Faldio is feeling fine and dandy.
...Which is, after considering what has transpired, stupid.

Surely he has to be at least somewhat shaken after making such a decision, considering he just shot the woman he has feelings for. He was hesitating, breaking down, and desperate, and he pulled the trigger.

If all is "fine and dandy" again as you put it, as if he hasn't properly weighed his actions at all, while exuding this uncharacteristic "Don't worry guys, I got this. Just as planned," sense of self, then yes... Something is obviously lacking again.

I hope that there's actual sensible progression from this, other than all's "fine and dandy".

But you know... that's what I expect to happen anyway.
Old 2009-08-20, 00:45   Link #296
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
...Which is, after considering what has transpired, stupid.

Surely he has to be at least somewhat shaken after making such a decision, considering he just shot the woman he has feelings for. He was hesitating, breaking down, and desperate, and he pulled the trigger.

If all is "fine and dandy" again as you put it, as if he hasn't properly weighed his actions at all, while exuding this uncharacteristic "Don't worry guys, I got this. Just as planned," sense of self, then yes... Something is obviously lacking again.

I hope that there's actual sensible progression from this, other than all's "fine and dandy".

But you know... that's what I expect to happen anyway.
But we don't know what is going on in the next episode so all assumptions are probably not true until we specifically see what happens to Faldio in the next episode. Maybe we might even get another time-skip to show Alicia's development as a Valkyria in a steady fashion.
Old 2009-08-20, 01:05   Link #297
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Damn. So if I'm not real? What am I? And what does that make all of you?
Dammit Justin, how many times do I have to tell you that I don't care about your star. It's only something true Ranka Lee fans would understand.
Old 2009-08-20, 01:19   Link #298
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
But we don't know what is going on in the next episode so all assumptions are probably not true until we specifically see what happens to Faldio in the next episode. Maybe we might even get another time-skip to show Alicia's development as a Valkyria in a steady fashion.
That's stating the obvious. Assumptions are assumptions, and I'm not claiming to know what's exactly going to happen in this anime's next episode.

But I do know one thing: a story of this kind should make sense. Proper development makes sense. That's all I'm saying.

And no, a time skip for the writer's convenience is just going to make things worse.
Old 2009-08-20, 01:38   Link #299
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Dammit Justin, how many times do I have to tell you that I don't care about your star. It's only something true Ranka Lee fans would understand.
I'm gonna go downtown and cry in the rain like Sheryl now. :leaving:
Old 2009-08-20, 01:47   Link #300
Neku
yare yare..

Nice episode.
So the title is Dearly Beloved.

Does it mean Ramal or Alicia?

Anyways so they're justifying Faldio's shooting that way.
Prepared to be punched back, Faldio! The anime just made the punch even sweeter~
Spoiler for punches:
Closed Thread