AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-12-07, 20:13   Link #21
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kaguya-hime has done about as expected at the box office, actually - it opened at #1 and was #2 in its second week. Ghibli films not directed by Hayao have never done the business his films do, and the old-school look of this one isn't exactly what mainstream audiences are used to these days.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-09, 19:40   Link #22
Dop
Mmmm....

Top box office is still pretty good though even if not quite as much as the last Miyazaki one.
The thing about this movie that strikes me is that it is Very Japanese and has a very different art style, but damn, I really want to see it!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 09:30   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Saw this tonight in Shibuya. Utterly marvelous - beautiful, terrible sadness.
Old 2014-09-02, 02:22   Link #24
Vegard Aune

So I've been keeping my eyes open for news on the home video release of this thing for months now...
My waiting has finally paid off. Now to wait even more for it to actually come out. Like, seriously, December? I mean I know Ghibli aren't exactly uber-quick with their home video releases, but over a year between the theatrical premiere and the home video release...?

Ah well, at least I finally know it's coming. And when it does I can finally tell Ghibli to TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY. (And in one way I guess it's good that it isn't coming out quite yet... Means I actually have time to make some money first...)
Old 2014-12-26, 20:01   Link #25
cleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Saw this tonight in Shibuya. Utterly marvelous - beautiful, terrible sadness.
I completely agree. Halfway through the movie I had the tiny hope to make it through without needing tissues. Silly me, I was a complete mess during the last part.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-27, 22:11   Link #26
amasposu

Just watched it in Japanese audio/English subtitles. This is my favorite Studio Ghibli movie since Laputa, Totoro, and Kiki's Delivery Service.
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 03:28   Link #27
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Beautiful movie. This is basically anti modern anime and I am not surprised to see it lost a ton of money. It's a fucking tragedy that Ghibi is basically dead.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-15, 09:57   Link #28
l.kostas

AnimeNewsNetwork: The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced on Thursday that Isao Takahata and Studio Ghibli's The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is
nominated for Oscar
in the Animated Feature Film category. The film will compete against Big Hero 6, The Box Trolls, How to Train Your Dragon2, and Song of the Sea.
The film won the Animation Film Award at the 68th Mainichi Film Awards, Best Animation from the L.A. Film Critics Awards, and Best Animated Film from the Boston Film Critics Society. It won Best Animated Feature Film at the eighth Asia Pacific Screen Awards (APSA), and it is nominated for three Annie Awards. The film was screened at Cannes Film Festival's Directors' Fortnight but did not receive any awards there.
Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's Spirited Away is the only Japanese animated feature to win an Oscar. Kunio Katō's "La Maison en Petits Cubes" won in the Best Animated Short Film category at the 81st Annual Academy Awards in 2009.

Last edited by l.kostas; 2015-01-15 at 21:34.
l.kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-15, 11:28   Link #29
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A huge breakthrough for Takahata, the first non-Miyazaki ever to have a film nominated for Best Animated Feature. And it's much deserved. The real shocker here, though, was that the Lego Movie didn't even get nominated when most thought it was the favorite to win.
Old 2015-01-15, 12:40   Link #30
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

People complaining about the absence of the LEGO movie don't realize that not picking this film would be the real tragedy of the awards.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-15, 17:34   Link #31
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
People complaining about the absence of the LEGO movie don't realize that not picking this film would be the real tragedy of the awards.
To me, the lack of The Lego Movie in this category comes off as a double-edged sword.

On one side, the lack of a nomination shows off one of the biggest problems with the Oscars: most of the people who choose the nominations are "grumpy white guys" who probably don't give a crap about a film about Legos no matter how good it is. After all, this is the same group that snubbed three great films in the 2008 Best Picture race just because one was animated, another was based on a superhero comic book, and the third is about professional wrestler.

On the other hand, one of the biggest strengths of the Oscars when it comes to choosing Best Animated Film nominations is the fact that they actually do give the lesser known animated films a chance to compete against the big ones when others focus more on the big ones that have appeared in theaters. It was very obvious that Kaguya-hime would take the five slot in a category that would have had Book of Life as the fifth nomination in the critics awards. However, to see Song of the Sea get nominated over one of the big favorites (more specifically, the one that many felt was the shoo in to win) in this year's race shows that the Oscars do care for the genre of animation and is willing to show their support to those titles produced outside of America.
Old 2015-01-15, 18:47   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Certainly within the awards community itself, it was never a sure thing that Kaguya would get nominated - in fact, if you polled the "experts" beforehand, I'd say it was about 50-50. But it's not as if it was an either-or situation between Kaguya and Lego - Lego is better than any of the other Hollywood films that did get nominated. The Academy has a history of being more friendly towards stop-motion and hand-drawn animation than CGI - they've snubbed other "sure-thing" CG films, and they nominated Thom Moore's last movie (The Secret of Kells) when no one was expecting it.
Old 2015-03-15, 04:27   Link #33
revive4563

I watched this movie yesterday. Honestly I hadn't interest about this movie at all.
Because this is one of the oldest Japanese fairy tales. I too knew a summary of story of Kaguya-hime.

But in the end of this movie, I realized that I shed tears for this ancient fairy tale written in a 1000 years ago.
I didn't know that this story is so deep.
I thought a conclusion of this movie has same vibe of Mononoke-hime.
I mean, I felt that these movies were synchronizing the end of movie as a show and the end of fantasy.

Unfortunately this movie wasn't monstrous box office unlike Miyazaki movies.
I think theme song and promotion of this movie were not good, after all.
And of course art of this movie is too avant-garde, in a sense.
But the making term and budget of this movie was enormous.
This means there is a worth to watch this, I think. (not sarcasm)

For now, I watched just once but this is one of the top 3 of Ghibli movies undoubtedly.

Last edited by revive4563; 2015-03-16 at 15:42. Reason: There was an unclear part...
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-18, 10:22   Link #34
Verso Sciolto
Banned

The TV broadcast on May 18, 2018 was preceded by a brief tribute, including parts of Miyazaki's eulogy.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghibli, takahata