Long_Dead
R.I.P

well there is a age limit...

but thats nothing you need to worry about sense you wont live that long
Long_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 12:56   Link #82
cyth
Banned

Fans around me mostly started watching anime out of teenage curiosity, trying to find themselves, trying new things... that sort of thing. I may have too started watching anime because of that; I'm not sure. But most of them already stopped being fans, now that they've entered or finished college. With other responsibilities--girlfriends, studies, work, other interests--it's really hard staying faithful to your teenage hobby. In my honest opinion, if you like anime enough, you'll be able to overcome these kinds of crises.
A lot of former fans I know turned into bitter adults or just moved on to other things. It's also true that they haven't been crazy about anime as much as I have, i.e. I usually had the answers and they were the ones asking questions about anime. Even so, I don't exclude the possibility that once a fan has "MAX-leveled" this hobby, he could drop it.
With all the hardships I've been through because of my obsession with anime, I can hardly imagine dropping the hobby at this point. Because of this I frequently ask myself: Do real fans ever give up?
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-28, 15:10   Link #83
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
With all the hardships I've been through because of my obsession with anime, I can hardly imagine dropping the hobby at this point. Because of this I frequently ask myself: Do real fans ever give up?
I say yes.

Because at some point, like Vexx alluded to, you've simply seen the basic stories there are to tell, in anime, in twenty or thirty different ways.

This isn't to say that you'll give it up completely, but rather than following six or eight or thirty (?!) series a season, you might pick one or two that are really unique.

And some seasons, you might follow zero.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-29, 12:09   Link #84
Mephisto2k
anime4life

If there wouldnt be any new story inventions and unique innovative writers now and then, anime industry would have allready died long ago.
Based on that I think youll always have something new to watch but I agree that at some point that wont interest you anymore and anime will be all the same and all boring to you, at least for many, some not.

But in the process of our social individualisation traditional values and norms loose their consisty. This doesnt only aply on family life and social choices but also what you watch and what music you listen to. Soon there will be no such thing as "you are to old to watch this" or "wtf is that music you listen to". It will be just a matter of choice and noone will bug you for it and therefore a lot more old people will watch anime. Still not sure when that is.
I think a lot people quit watching because of the social pressure and they got more "important things to do", but once the pressure is gone the important thigs and the getting bore of it might shrink along with it.
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 11:03   Link #85
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
... Because at some point, like Vexx alluded to, you've simply seen the basic stories there are to tell, in anime, in twenty or thirty different ways.
This is true of story-telling in general. New generations see new versions of the same old story-lines that have been told since Homer's Illead and Odyssey, or Anon's Beowulf. From Shakespear to Jules Vern, all the basic story types have been told before.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-30, 11:58   Link #86
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
I say yes.

Because at some point, like Vexx alluded to, you've simply seen the basic stories there are to tell, in anime, in twenty or thirty different ways.

This isn't to say that you'll give it up completely, but rather than following six or eight or thirty (?!) series a season, you might pick one or two that are really unique.

And some seasons, you might follow zero.
It doesn't stop people from watching the same stuff on normal television for 20 - 30 years.

Basically the question boils down to whether or not a person can outgrow a medium. It varies greatly on the person. Some people will choose career paths that will just prevent them from devoting great amounts of time to anything except maybe one or two hobbies. Just getting out of school, getting a job and having to take care of oneself will greatly impact what hobbies and activities one can take part of. A lot of people find that they no longer have time to devote to their hobbies, whether it is anime, playing sports, watching television, playing music or what ever else may tweak their fancy.

Another issue is whether the medium itself can evolve. Television in general, has done so quite well. It has always found a way to cater to the masses. Personally, I think that anime has a bit of a ways to go before it has achieved the evolution that TV has made in general, but part of that also requires evolution of the public and public opinion.

There's no hard and fast age where people are too old for stuff. It's just a matter of natural development of both the person and what they used to be interested in. If they no longer find interest, it usually means that either they have developed tastes that no longer align with their former interests, or that what they used to be interested in has changed in a way that no longer lines up with what they are interested in, or both.
Old 2007-03-31, 16:59   Link #87
Miyeko

I agree that there is no real age limit to enjoying anime. My mother, who just turned 78, loves to watch both American cartoons and Japanese anime. She certainly doesn't feel "too old" for it, and neither do I for that matter and I'm in my 30s.
Miyeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 18:17   Link #88
KaWaitress
Waitress Fetish ♥

Send a message via AIM to KaWaitress
Is there an age limit to living? Don't think so, therefore there isn't an age limit for anime. Conclusion: anime + food + sleep + Ocassionaltripoutsidewithfriendsdon'tsmokekidsitsb adforyou = life
KaWaitress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 12:23   Link #89
Scourge87
Dark Lord of the West

I think every one will agree, there is a age limit to some animes. Like Pokemon. I stopped watching that when I was twleve!
Scourge87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 14:05   Link #90
Honey_and_Cleaver

Until an age where your heart cant take it.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 16:39   Link #91
redscheme

some series aren't meant for children (NGE etc). for me no i don't think I'll stop watching anime as i age. i will however watch less of it (life is just too short).
redscheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-03, 19:21   Link #92
-Kh-
ポルカ

I don't know when it's the time to stop watching Anime, but in my case, I think I'm still far from that day.

Animes have so many different plots, storys and develepments, and sometimes when the stories or settings might be the same (or very similar ones), but the drawing styles, the images, the colors, give them always a fresh feeling that I never have when watching a live action show, or live action movie.

Although I don't dislike live action, I just enjoy more animated stories. Probably mainly because of my life and career.
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 12:00   Link #93
Scourge87
Dark Lord of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscheme View Post
some series aren't meant for children (NGE etc). for me no i don't think I'll stop watching anime as i age. i will however watch less of it (life is just too short).
I think that's true. There's so much anime thats not for kids. In Japan, I bet there's thousands of them.
Scourge87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 22:07   Link #94
cleteberry

I <3 anime...

Im 25, and i still love anime... *hugs anime* dont ever leave me baby...

Granted its getting harder and harder to find an anime i can get into.
cleteberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 22:17   Link #95
9Mystere9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscheme View Post
That's funny, I like your example.
9Mystere9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 22:49   Link #96
IllusiveKunai
SeeD

I really don't think there is an age.

A lot of anime is for older ages to watch. I'll probably be like 70 and watching it.
IllusiveKunai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 22:54   Link #97
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
It's not a matter of age. It's a matter of whether the necessary senses to watch anime are still functioning.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 22:25   Link #98
KimbaWLion

Send a message via AIM to KimbaWLion
Well I ALWAYS tell my friends anime is the thing that binds all ages.
I have a 13 year old daughter and my Avatar gives you an idea how old I am and I still watch TONS of anime. So much for ME out growing it...
KimbaWLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 08:13   Link #99
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimbaWLion View Post
Well I ALWAYS tell my friends anime is the thing that binds all ages.
I have a 13 year old daughter and my Avatar gives you an idea how old I am and I still watch TONS of anime. So much for ME out growing it...
My son was a senior in High School when he got me interested in anime and my wife and I weren't young when we married. While my son and I like some of the same anime, for much of it our interest differ.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 08:57   Link #100
-Breakthrough-

I know someone who loves anime and is nearly 30 XD! So for me, I dont know.
-Breakthrough- is offline   Reply With Quote