AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-24, 21:35   Link #81
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

thanks kiseki_girl and guido. especially glad to hear that the end notes went over well ^^
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 22:00   Link #82
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Well, Guido and kiseki_gurl, I took a quick look at bits of both #1 and #2 and I guess I now see what you are talking about when you say the animation quality changed. I also guess it shows that animation consistency is nowhere near as important to me as other aspects of an anime -- and maybe that I don't see it that well.

In any case, I looked at the end credits and it appears that the animation supervisor, the entire genga (original drawing) staff, and the entire animation staff are different in the two episodes. Ep 1 was supervised by the chief animation director, Numata Seiya, who also supervised eps of Code-E, Busou Renkin, and Strawberry Panic, among other things. This appears to be the first time he has been a show's main animation director. Ep2 was done by Ujie Akio, who supervised a couple of eps of Haibane Renmei, and a couple of Wind -A Breath of Heart-, among other things.

For ep1, 18 people were in the genga team, whereas in ep2 there were 15. There was also a small second genga team for ep1, and two named people did corrections, whereas for ep2 a company was named as doing corrections.

But I think all this is planned from the start, since it takes several weeks to do genga and animation for each episode, judging by the leaked schedule spreadsheet for Bamboo Blade.

The director of ep1 was Yoshida Junji, who appears to be one of Studio Deen's mainstays, having directed numerous episodes of everything from Yumeria through Marimite to Amenaideyo, Jigoku Shoujo 2, and Touka Gettan, and even a couple of eps of Simoun. Ep2 was directed by Andou Masataka (?: 安藤正臣). This is the only anime episode listed for him on the Japanese staff-listing site No Anime, No Life.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 23:44   Link #83
4Tran

In case you were wondering, shougi is probably the most complex of all the chess-type games out there. Its one major difference from the other games is that you can play captured pieces as your own by dropping them onto the board instead of moving one of your other pieces. As a result, the relative strength of a position is much harder to grasp intuitively, and the game itself is harder to explain (it really doesn't help that the pieces aren't separated by color either).

Unfortunately, this makes Shion no Ou suffer in comparison to Hikaru no Go, since they use similar mechanics to use their games to further the story. The differences are that Go seems to be much easier to grasp intuitively (even though it's even more complex strategically), and that it had far more episodes to play out the story. So far, the murder-mystery aspect of Shion no Ou interests me far less than the character aspect, and the character aspect is tied into shougi, so a comparison of the two shows is inescapable.
Old 2007-10-27, 05:01   Link #84
Morph

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynnec View Post
I'm just curious what everyone's opinions are on the two groups subbing Shion no Ou. What are everyone's preferences on Shoku-dan vs. Live-evil?
I just watched ep 2 from Shoku-dan and Live-evil. Though Shoku-dan made mistakes in their translation, most weren't EARTH SHATTERING.

With that said, I'd be grabbing Shoku-dans first but hold out for LE's releases for viewing & archiving. After all ~ LE isn't known for finishing series...
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-27, 12:04   Link #85
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
I just watched ep 2 from Shoku-dan and Live-evil. Though Shoku-dan made mistakes in their translation, most weren't EARTH SHATTERING.

With that said, I'd be grabbing Shoku-dans first but hold out for LE's releases for viewing & archiving. After all ~ LE isn't known for finishing series...
In episode 1, Shoku-dan's mistakes varied from just turning it into nonsense to completely changing what was going on. (See the whole speech of the background of tournaments and what the guy says just before she loses her match)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-27, 12:49   Link #86
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I'm a big fan of him already.

There is something about a cool bishounen who crossdress as a girl, makes me goes overheat!!!! *kyaaaa* >_<
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 09:19   Link #87
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Well, this was certainly an unexpected surprise. I had just about written off the fall season, but I think I'll be staying with Shion and, maybe, Moyashimon.

This is probably the most disturbing anime I've watched in some time. The whole stalker subplot reminds me of creepy psychological stories like John Fowles's The Collector (about a young man who goes from collecting butterflies to collecting young women). I just cringe every time we see that guy following Shion and taking those photographs.

Saori's character is a bit oppressive, especially her tendency to engulf Shion at every opportunity. Our little heroine doesn't seem to mind that much, but I'd wonder if every eleven-year-old would be so nonplussed when attacked by an older woman like that.

I really do wish anime characters would spend a bit of time in a thrift store or something and expand their wardrobes. Saori must have an entire closet full of sailor fuku. I laugh every time I watch the scene toward the end of the OP where the three main characters are standing on a shougi board. Shion's dressed like a boy and Ayumi, of course, is wearing that rather frilly dress.

Since it's unlikely that Kawasumi-sama will remain speechless throughout the twelve shows, I'm assuming Shion will be getting her voice back soon. Manga readers, does Shion grow up in the course of the story, or will she remain in the 12-14 age bracket throughout?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 17:10   Link #88
kiseki_gurl
:.:A2M Staff Member:.:

Episode 3 Summary & Impressions:
http://anime2manga.com/20071029/in-p...-daijoubu.html

Sorry I'm late guys. I've been partying too much . It's a good episode nevertheless.
kiseki_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 20:17   Link #89
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
In case you were wondering, shougi is probably the most complex of all the chess-type games out there. Its one major difference from the other games is that you can play captured pieces as your own by dropping them onto the board instead of moving one of your other pieces. As a result, the relative strength of a position is much harder to grasp intuitively, and the game itself is harder to explain (it really doesn't help that the pieces aren't separated by color either).

Unfortunately, this makes Shion no Ou suffer in comparison to Hikaru no Go, since they use similar mechanics to use their games to further the story. The differences are that Go seems to be much easier to grasp intuitively (even though it's even more complex strategically), and that it had far more episodes to play out the story. So far, the murder-mystery aspect of Shion no Ou interests me far less than the character aspect, and the character aspect is tied into shougi, so a comparison of the two shows is inescapable.
Yea honestly after two episodes I still don't have a bleeping clue what the games about whatsoever...BUT it still does hold true for episode 2 that this slight snag doesnt really hamper my enjoyment of the show too terribly much.

I guess ill credit that to interesting characters that are enjoyable to watch.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 12:43   Link #90
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Ep 3 is good but there is no action .....
witting Ep 4
Old 2007-11-04, 14:43   Link #91
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
at least now we caught the stalker dude
im looking forward to the match with Shion and Saito, i hope they don't time skip it
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 14:47   Link #92
way2slow

Send a message via AIM to way2slow
Spoiler for Ep3:
way2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 17:16   Link #93
kiseki_gurl
:.:A2M Staff Member:.:

Episode 4 Summary/Impressions:
http://anime2manga.com/20071105/shio...ere-it-is.html

-The whole episode was the Ayumi VS Shion match.
-Animation took a noticeable dip in quality. It was funny at one point when everyone's hair started blowing for no reason whatsoever.
-Good episode, nevertheless.
kiseki_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 18:38   Link #94
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Komaoto

I feel refreshed, since after a long wait I see my dear Shion back to shougi action. Very thanks to Live-Evil for releasing the subbed third episode.

The plotline is becoming complex and somewhat ambiguous.
Spoiler:

For Shion crying right after Saito made his move I think she got a shock due that the move that he played relived on her the same memory of the culprit picking the king's piece and slammed it onto the board with the same strength and on the same position that Saito did.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 10:48   Link #95
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...

Unable to fully appreciate episode 4 because of a lack of knowledge of the chess.

Anyway the plot seems to be interesting enough to keep me watching. Shion no Ou came as a surprise to me this season where i fully expect myself to stop after the first episode (i've the habit of sampling every first episode of anime), but nevertheless i'm still watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiseki_gurl View Post
It was funny at one point when everyone's hair started blowing for no reason whatsoever.
I see that as a figurative expression in anime, it symbolizes intense mental activity and pressure going on. Unless you also have a problem with the clouds surrounding the chess piece after an important move, it's ok i guess, especially in an otherwise very static episode.

Last not least, Shion has very beautiful eyes, approaching the standard of those drawn by the gods of KyoAni. Shion no Ou uses a rather similar filter to create reflection in the pupils as the one used by Suzumiya Haruhi, my all time favorite. But no one can beat KyoAni at this point when it comes to consistency in animation, be they eyes or others.
GoldAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 13:58   Link #96
tlynnec
LLE, Live-evil, DB Staff
*Fansubber

we WILL finish it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
After all ~ LE isn't known for finishing series...
Unless it get's licensed, we WILL be finishing this one.

In addition to ep 3 being out via L-E fansub (as Guido noted ^_^), eps 1 & 2 have also been released in HD (1280x720) x264. We plan to release all episodes in both formats. Ep 3 HD will also have a "bonus" subtitle track, for your amusement.

Oh, and some interesting shougi links for those who want more info:
- http://www.shogi.net/shogivocab/
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shougi (Yeah, I know its wikipedia, but there's some good info)

Last edited by tlynnec; 2007-11-05 at 14:11.
tlynnec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 14:39   Link #97
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've been planning to check out Shion no Ou for sometime now, and i must say it's thanks to Live-Evil that i went ahead and did that this morning --- thanks a lot for the three episode release! I also agree that the notes at the end of the first episode helped a lot --- i was planning to check them out myself, though knowing the game's another version of Chess helps my understanding a lot more. I could say it helped my enjoyment of episode's two and three even more.

Anyway, time to say what i actually planned to say --- Romi Paku voicing a male that's pretending to be a female. If you ask me that's always the perfect role for her, my favourite voice. <3
Old 2007-11-05, 17:49   Link #98
Vola^

I like this anime I have the feeling the storyline is going to turn really dark real soon :S

Anyone know if/when the ED is out?
Vola^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 17:56   Link #99
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vola^ View Post
Anyone know if/when the ED is out?
Amazon.jp tells me that the single release is December 5th.
Old 2007-11-06, 00:10   Link #100
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_K View Post
at least now we caught the stalker dude
Next time you might want to put comments like that in spoiler tags.

Spoiler for stalker dude after ep 3:

This show has possibilities if the writers can keep the story complex. I'm a bit concerned that cramming everything into twelve episodes may force a lot of short cuts in the storytelling.

In ep. 3 Kawasumi Ayako spoke for perhaps a minute or two and still left more of an impression with me than most of other seiyuu who had much longer roles. I do like the voice actor for the senior policeman as well; he has a nice gravely sound and a solid air of authority.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-11-06 at 00:22.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, games, loli, seinen, studio deen