Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-28, 14:28   Link #641
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
It hasn't even begun airing yet,what is it doing on the poll?

Things are very different at the other side, especially the mindset who inhabit there.
Old 2012-01-28, 14:40   Link #642
00Coyote

My opinion of this show hasn't changed. Still enjoying it, like the fact that they are taking their time with the story, and absolutely love Marika's spiky hair. That scene with her floating in the center of the room... who says this show doesn't have fanservice.
Spoiler for Dat Hair:
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 14:55   Link #643
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Things are very different at the other side, especially the mindset who inhabit there.
Aw, I inhabit AS and ANN (and I know I'm not the only one), wonder what y'all must think of my mindset.

Anyway, I had a good giggle at the students tapping the teachers lounge and then vice-versa, a lot of the little details like that just make me love this show (and Marika's line about pirate ships and phonebooks). Actually, the slow pace and emphasis on the conversations here remind me a little bit of Spice and Wolf which also usually took it's time setting up everything before an episode of action at the end of the arc. Do kinda wish all the episodes for this show were already out though, I think this might flow a little better if I was able to just sit down and marathon it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 15:26   Link #644
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Nice episode, I'm glad they didn't rushed to the battle scene just yet which we will see next week.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 16:09   Link #645
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The fact that six percent of the people voted for a show that hasn't premiered yet is sort of a qualifier on that poll...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 16:20   Link #646
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Oh ANN you silly overgrown children ~

Back on topic. This show is progressing nicely.
Old 2012-01-28, 16:21   Link #647
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
>use encrypted line to communicate
>however your phone number is available in the phone book

I LOLed

But realy,I'm betting on this just being some kind of test for Marika so there's no real danger.

Quote:
Edit: Haha oh wow, Satou apologized and said "firing is next week" [Link]
No need to apologize,that's one week earlier than I expected!
Old 2012-01-28, 16:30   Link #648
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I LOLed more at how there's a phonebook...
Old 2012-01-28, 16:35   Link #649
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was an unexpected development. I didn't think that Marika would spill the beans to her classmates so soon, and much less than some of them already knew about her situation. Moreover, it turns out most of these girls are no ordinary high schoolers. I expect at least the president and Lynn (whom I really like) to join Marika's pirate crew.

The technical explanations were very elaborated... maybe even a bit too much as I grew bored of them at some point. Marika's tactics were impressive and showcased her gigantic potential once more. She'll definitely become a fearsome captain in the future.

Quote:
>use encrypted line to communicate
>however your phone number is available in the phone book

I LOLed
That was pretty funny. According to Chiaki, being listed on the phone book is beneficial, but I don't see how
Old 2012-01-28, 16:39   Link #650
xizro345
King's Justice

I'm personally not bothered by the pacing at all - It kind of reminds of the Seikai series.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 17:44   Link #651
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
It hasn't even begun airing yet,what is it doing on the poll?

Kind of more amazed that Nisemonogatari didn't get 20% of the vote. That show has mad hype behind it. Then again so does Black Rock Shooter and I think this poll just goes to show that sometimes hype transcends other meagre forces of influence such as logic and experience.

That said this show has all kinds of things that the general anime going audience seems to enjoy so I'm not really surprised at it's popularity. It's slow, the characters are cute and likeable, it's slow, it has sci-fi elements, it's slow, it has pirate themes and did I mention it's really really slow paced. For whatever reason the slower the better seems to be the rule with the majority and I'm personally fine with slower paced series (well moreso series with episode counts higher than 12 where you actually get a chance to immerse yourself in the world before it's all over), I just hope it doesn't end up wasting it's time. That's like my number one concern with the show right now more than any other factor. Characters are okay, production values are solid, backstory brings intrigue, show foreshadows the future destiny of it's lead adequately, now just to avoid letting it all amount to nothing.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 17:53   Link #652
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That was an unexpected development. I didn't think that Marika would spill the beans to her classmates so soon, and much less than some of them already knew about her situation. Moreover, it turns out most of these girls are no ordinary high schoolers. I expect at least the president and Lynn (whom I really like) to join Marika's pirate crew.
I'm not that surprised. Actually, I've been wondering for a while if Marika will "go public" about it. Given that news our her father's death was public (Marika could confirm it herself easily in ep 1) it doesn't seem absurd that others could find out a bit about Marika's situation. The OP seems to suggest that Marika will continue to be involved with the club and cafe, so to fit in being a pirate captain with unpredictable hours it would be a lot simpler to just go public.

I've also been wondering if the "pirate captain uniform" we see Marika wearing in the OP/ED was designed/built by girls at her school.

Quote:
The technical explanations were very elaborated... maybe even a bit too much as I grew bored of them at some point. Marika's tactics were impressive and showcased her gigantic potential once more. She'll definitely become a fearsome captain in the future.
I suspect Marika sees herself as fairly normal but the show has been slowly developing this idea that she has a lot of potential and it really becomes prominent here.

Quote:
That was pretty funny. According to Chiaki, being listed on the phone book is beneficial, but I don't see how
I think she meant that since the Bentenmaru is a "licensed" pirate, it's not unreasonable that they're listed publicly too - they're legal and official so got nothing to hide, as it were
Old 2012-01-28, 18:37   Link #653
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Another great episode. I suspect from the nod that Jenny gave Lynn before saying that she knew that Marika was a candidate for the captaincy of the Bentenmaru, that Lynn also knew about Marika. I also found it very interesting that Jenny knew the Odette II was a pirate ship. Actually, I liked how Jenny came off.

It will also be interesting to see how Lynn does with the electronic warfare. Since she had something with "cracking" on her record, this could be something that the unknown party(The Lightning II or is it 11?) wouldn't be anticipating.

I loved how with this it's more anticipating your opponent's moves and strategizing to counter them. It goes back to what Ririka was saying about most fights ending before a single shot is fired.

I wonder what kind of particles they were using for those high-frequency scans? I know they also mentioned scanning with infrared(although they probably also would try to scan with the higher wavelength things too).
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 19:27   Link #654
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
I'm not that surprised. Actually, I've been wondering for a while if Marika will "go public" about it. Given that news our her father's death was public (Marika could confirm it herself easily in ep 1) it doesn't seem absurd that others could find out a bit about Marika's situation. The OP seems to suggest that Marika will continue to be involved with the club and cafe, so to fit in being a pirate captain with unpredictable hours it would be a lot simpler to just go public.
Considering the first google results of privateer id her own mother it is pretty easy for the club president to deduce.

Said club president is also heir to a corporate combine.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 19:39   Link #655
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
My opinion of this show hasn't changed. Still enjoying it, like the fact that they are taking their time with the story, and absolutely love Marika's spiky hair. That scene with her floating in the center of the room... who says this show doesn't have fanservice.
Spoiler for Dat Hair:
Yes, yes she has very delicious hair, I agree!

Also enjoying the pacing, I feel wishing I saw more, but always looking forward to the next. Certainly a favorite of this season.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 20:16   Link #656
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
It's a coming of Age Story then. Those who cannot bear such stories should drop it.

Of course, those who enjoy such stories (and let's face it, anime has precious few such stories now of days, at least well done ones,) would find it a refreshing change from the usual fare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Just as I said before, this one's gonna be like Treasure Island.
Yes I approve of a good coming of age story. Although there have been quite a few, I don't think they are that rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
I, for one, approve of my non-fanservice Moretsu overlords.

It's an anime I've become addicted to because of its share of seriousness and old school sci-fi elements, despite its slow pace. No fanservice is a fresh breeze and adds nothing anyway.
I agree. I love this old school approach to Sci-Fi.

Build the world it's in and then let the plot flow naturally from there.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 20:22   Link #657
Random Wanderer

I liked this episode a lot. While the previous one felt like a bit of a let-down, this one picked things back up perfectly, exactly in the way that I like.

Quote:
Actually, I liked how Jenny came off.
Jenny is quite impressive in many ways. She is calm, collected, intelligent, knowledgeable, and adaptable. She is a good choice for the club president. She has a number of well-trained leadership skills, and I think Marika would do well to learn from her. Marika has some good instincts, but she needs to refine them, and Jenny has clearly learned many of the skills that Marika could use when she becomes captain.

Quote:
That scene with her floating in the center of the room... who says this show doesn't have fanservice.
Marika's hair is gorgeous. I love it.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 21:33   Link #658
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I liked this episode a lot. While the previous one felt like a bit of a let-down, this one picked things back up perfectly, exactly in the way that I like.
You took the words right out of my mouth. The last episode, I thought, was a half-point off the early standard of excellence, but this one featured building tension, the heroine being both smart and cool, Kane and Misa doing their job (monitoring Marika's safety while training her to be the person who can accept the responsibility of captaining the Bentenmaru), interesting SF elements grounded in science instead of Rule of Cool, and a coolly badass group of high-school girls (I loved Kane's snarky comment about the pros on the Bentenmaru getting spotted by the girls; I'm guessing somebody's going to get ribbed about that one!), and a warmup to the space battle including actual planning and preparation instead of just "Hey, let's do it!" gung-ho-ness. Jenny, especially, was fun as she let Marika explain her plan, pointing out the drawbacks and asking her to explain what she'd do in X and Y situation, doing the kind of things a good teacher (or in this case, club leader) is supposed to do.

Quote:
Marika's hair is gorgeous. I love it.
Weirdly, I'd never noticed her hair until this episode other than it being on her head, while this ep. I was aware of it all the time. Odd. It does look nice, though.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 21:37   Link #659
miketyson

Put me in the "enjoying the slow pace" camp.

The slow pace is really appropriate here: if I want to watch a show about space pirates, I want to watch a show about space pirates doing space pirate things. It's not clear how a faster-moving plot would help with that; the pace of events is fast enough to keep the space pirates having to do new space pirate things, at a pace that lets me absorb them.

Whatever the show would gain by moving the plot forward faster it'd lose -- and then some -- in the sense of immersion. This is a wonderful throwback in the best possible sense.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-28, 22:33   Link #660
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
Another great episode. I suspect from the nod that Jenny gave Lynn before saying that she knew that Marika was a candidate for the captaincy of the Bentenmaru, that Lynn also knew about Marika. I also found it very interesting that Jenny knew the Odette II was a pirate ship. Actually, I liked how Jenny came off.

It will also be interesting to see how Lynn does with the electronic warfare. Since she had something with "cracking" on her record, this could be something that the unknown party(The Lightning II or is it 11?) wouldn't be anticipating.

I loved how with this it's more anticipating your opponent's moves and strategizing to counter them. It goes back to what Ririka was saying about most fights ending before a single shot is fired.

I wonder what kind of particles they were using for those high-frequency scans? I know they also mentioned scanning with infrared(although they probably also would try to scan with the higher wavelength things too).
Yeah this was another great episode

Totally agree miketyson and Sackett, they've really nailed the pacing and the best of the old school approach to big scifi anime series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Loved this stuff. Also, yeah I loved how they showcased her potential again like this.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri