AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-28, 02:06   Link #321
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
She does? I said it before, she has more of a Dianna/Kihel design going for her.
Maybe visually, somewhat.. The pink hair, the whole 'biggest singer in the entire galaxy' thing, the obvious political clout both hold over being such popular figures. Dianna/Kihel were just politicans. They were never pop-icons like Lacus and Sheryl and all the Macross divas were. That's why I keep saying Lacus is more like a Macross heroine than any Gundam one.

Quote:
Going by what we've seen by both characters, i wouldn't say they have tsundere qualities. Not yet anyway.
We already saw Alto mellowing a bit from meeting Lanka and it's basically inevitable for Sheryl to come out of her shell. I can bet hard money on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
There's almost no similarity between Lacus and what little we've seen of Sheryl so far, beyond the fact that they're both singers. There doesn't seem to be much cause for comparing them.
I'm not putting all the eggs in the basket here. It's a superficial, character archetypal comparison so far. I'm not jumping to conclusions here. It is only one episode so far. If Sheryl pulls a Fllay or or Minmay or Diana or Relena, whatever comes, comes. Like I said, she strikes me as the total opposite of Lacus as far as personalities go, so I'm not even sure I'm disagreeing with you there.

Quote:
Ai, Oboete Imasu Ka is sung by Nakajima Megumi, the voice actress of Ranka Lee, and it's the only song that she sang so far. Moreover, the whole song has only a single line of (rather well-pronounced) English. If you don't like the Sheryl Nome songs, that's a different story.
Well, I absolutely LOVE character-sung inserts, so the more I watch the show, the more I probably would get attached. Actually, watching the singing parts again, the Sheryl songs are starting to grow on me actually.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 04:48   Link #322
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Maybe visually, somewhat.. The pink hair, the whole 'biggest singer in the entire galaxy' thing, the obvious political clout both hold over being such popular figures. Dianna/Kihel were just politicans. They were never pop-icons like Lacus and Sheryl and all the Macross divas were. That's why I keep saying Lacus is more like a Macross heroine than any Gundam one.
I can't agree with that. It seems to me that if Lacus were like a Macross heroine, she would get the job done using her singing abilities.

Instead, what do we see? When she goes into opposition against the government, she employs both her voice and her idol status effectively, but it still isn't enough to sweep all before her - she can make a difference that way, but not a decisive one. When the chips are down Lacus ends up relying on her ability as a political leader to get her through, by assembling an effective array of supporters and inspiring them with a vision to follow.

Quote:
I'm not putting all the eggs in the basket here. It's a superficial, character archetypal comparison so far. I'm not jumping to conclusions here. It is only one episode so far. If Sheryl pulls a Fllay or or Minmay or Diana or Relena, whatever comes, comes. Like I said, she strikes me as the total opposite of Lacus as far as personalities go, so I'm not even sure I'm disagreeing with you there.
I can't speak for 4Tran, but the problem I have with calling Lacus and Sheryl opposites is that "completely different" and "opposite" don't mean the same thing to me...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 05:37   Link #323
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Sheesh. It was a lighthearted statement. Chill.

Addendum- Director's Cut of Macross F is online and I'm DLing now. Can't wait to see how it looks in HD.
Old 2007-12-28, 05:49   Link #324
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
episode 2 this spring?
should be a decent spring animewise with geass s2 and macross F... as long as both serie liveup to their fan's expectations
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 07:07   Link #325
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
episode 2 this spring?
should be a decent spring animewise with geass s2 and macross F... as long as both serie liveup to their fan's expectations
Decent? From the looks of it, it could be another epic season, especially if the fall schedule's unexpected surprises were any indication. I think the next season has more to look forward to actually, though I'd rather not waste time going over which of them actually sound real good to me.

As for Geass and Macross, let's just say both shows are in good hands. No major staff/writer changes, and very reliable directors. Yes, the scenario man in Macross F, the guy who did the scenario for Gundam Seed, Mai Hime and Mai Otome, I have high praise of him even if the shows themselves may not be perfect. I expect nothing less of Macross F in terms of pacing.

PS- I just watched the HD version of Macross Frontier.... and it is AMAZING! The colors are bolder and the details, my god the details. I wish Shinsen or whatever group that does it starts from HD version from the getgo if possible. This is one of those new anime that really ought to be watched in higher definition. Anime... HD.. whodathunkit.
Old 2007-12-28, 07:14   Link #326
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
first ep reminds me of old fashion good content anime episodes, they have so much packed in that they seem longer then the minutes stated.

:P
Old 2007-12-28, 08:05   Link #327
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Quote:
Yes, the scenario man in Macross F, the guy who did the scenario for Gundam Seed, Mai Hime and Mai Otome,
ykes... gundam seed was ok until they pulled a dallas type deus ex machina on kira to have him end up with lacus. and mai hime was awsome until
Spoiler:

i really hope nothing like this happens ever again i have rarely seen a ball being dropped that badly in the last episode...
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 08:20   Link #328
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Megaroad-01 lost all communications near the center of the galaxy, their destination point on 2016, 4 years after their departure.

Macross Frontier is going there as well, via a different route.

Different routes, same destination. However, personally I wouldn't put my money on seeing Megaroad or the old cast again, considering that I recalled Kawamori once said that with the death of Hikaru's seiyuu, Arihiro Hase who commited suicide, their story is done.
Well that doesn't necissarily (I probably spelled that wrong, it's too early in the morning >.> ) stop them from telling us what happened to the Megaroad 01. It doesn't mean they have to bring Hikaru or Misa into the story, but I think it would be a bit too much of a tease to have the Macross Frontier go where the Megaroad 01 went missing and not even so much as tell us what happened to it.
Old 2007-12-28, 08:25   Link #329
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
ykes... gundam seed was ok until they pulled a dallas type deus ex machina on kira to have him end up with lacus. and mai hime was awsome until
Spoiler:

i really hope nothing like this happens ever again i have rarely seen a ball being dropped that badly in the last episode...
But the guy wasn't responsible for the writing by himself. And his sense of pacing has universally been great.

Even with the deus ex in Hime, it was still enjoyable even with its silly premise to begin with.

And I have no real problem with Seed's ending. Kira was supposed to be incapacitated and Mu was supposed to die, leave that blunder to the writers.
Old 2007-12-28, 09:53   Link #330
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles
Well, I absolutely LOVE character-sung inserts, so the more I watch the show, the more I probably would get attached. Actually, watching the singing parts again, the Sheryl songs are starting to grow on me actually.
While we're still on the topic of the songs... The last line of the ED seems to be sung by Iijima Mari - which seems like a very nice nod to the the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy
I can't speak for 4Tran, but the problem I have with calling Lacus and Sheryl opposites is that "completely different" and "opposite" don't mean the same thing to me...
Precisely. Without a basis for comparison, one could just as accurately say that Albert Einstein and Alexander the Great are opposites, but such a statement doesn't mean a whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Well that doesn't necissarily (I probably spelled that wrong, it's too early in the morning >.> ) stop them from telling us what happened to the Megaroad 01. It doesn't mean they have to bring Hikaru or Misa into the story, but I think it would be a bit too much of a tease to have the Macross Frontier go where the Megaroad 01 went missing and not even so much as tell us what happened to it.
This is one story point that I would prefer they leave unexplained. There's no way to satisfactorily conclude such a storyline, so there's little point, other than pure fanservice, to bring it up. Besides, I rather like the idea of having an unresolved mystery - it adds to the richness of the Macross universe.
Old 2007-12-28, 12:09   Link #331
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

So who is Alto going to end up with at the end?

I bet it's Sheryl
Old 2007-12-28, 12:24   Link #332
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
naaa i bet chibi lanka
Cadorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 12:24   Link #333
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
So who is Alto going to end up with at the end?

I bet it's Sheryl
What, are you blind?
Luka, of course. Duh.

If there isn't a "Luka dressed as trap" episode, I'm going to be mad. Very.
Old 2007-12-28, 12:41   Link #334
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
What, are you blind?
Luka, of course. Duh.

If there isn't a "Luka dressed as trap" episode, I'm going to be mad. Very.
no way, Alto is more likely to be forced to crossdress at some point in the future due to his "princessly charm".

Ranka is way too obvious of a choice so i bet there's gonna be a twist in it later on (just like Hikaru x Minmay) Lovers usually dont get along at first anyway (Hikaru x Misa).

God i love space soap opera
Old 2007-12-28, 13:38   Link #335
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
no way, Alto is more likely to be forced to crossdress at some point in the future due to his "princessly charm".
No, you misunderstand. I wasn't talking about what makes sense anime-wise.
I was talking about what I want to see. Which, ultimately, is the only thing that matters to me.
C'mon, don't tell me you don't think Luka's perfect for shota traps.

Alto cross-dressing is a given, of course. He's a freaking kabuki actor heritage, for god's sake.
Heck, he may even be the hidden "singing idol princess" of the series!

In all seriousness, I don't really have an opinion yet on which of the two heroines will get Alto ultimately.
We haven't seen enough of either.
Old 2007-12-28, 13:45   Link #336
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

And I finally figured out why Sheryl looks so familiar. She looks like a carbon copy of the usual female protagonists of Mizushiro Setona lol.

I'm shocked though that the one that won the audition is not playing the the role of the idol when I looked over the cast. I mean, it only makes sense if Nakajima was the one playing Sheryl right since she's the one who won through that singing/acting audition? Makes me wonder if Ranka would become a singing idol in the future, as the audition for the VA was also for singing...

And speaking of Ranka/Sheryl, I'm gonna put my bets on Sheryl, as the singing girl 'won' in every macross past the original. That of course is dependent on the fact that Ranka will never be an idol, which right now is highly dubious considering the VA was auditioned partly because of her singing ability. But if Ranka does become a singer, then I would put my money on her, especially when its compounded by the fact that the main female lead (aka the character listed first) has won past the original.

As for who I would like for Alto to end up with, that's still up in the air.

And thanks for SA for the HD subs. Fight scenes were awesome beyond compare...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 13:58   Link #337
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post

Both fleets are heading to the galatic core but that doesn't mean a thing. The core is HUGE, you could go to the core and still not be any close to where Megaroad-01 disappear.

And I am hoping they just leave it as mystery as to what happen to Megaroad-01. Anything the production add to it now is only going to provake a flame war within the fandom. Some people will be happy with the explantion and some won't. The best they could do is just leave it alone.
Old 2007-12-28, 14:21   Link #338
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
i hope they make this a four way love battle, why does it have to be a love triangle? why not a love square?

Lt Glass looks likea wonderful Misa-like candidate.

would be fun, if it was.

And just because there are now four, won't make it a harem.

mind you i got that silly tune stuck in my head...

nyan nyan! nyan nyan!

ni hao nyan!

Gorgeous, delicious, deeecuuuulltuure!

Oh yeah, love seeing the MACROSS PLUS robotic fighters, Ghost X-9 successors i suspect.

too bad the ECM shielding are bad.

Oh and the silly VF-171 mass production versions that seems like a cross between a Vf-11 thunderbolt radar cone and copit really suck.

then again never did like the elite vampire valkyries.

nice to see the vf-25 as a cross between the vf-19 and the vf-1's.

way faster too.

THe Ex-gear as a light exo-skeleton ejection gear replacement was great too.

But those dammn aliens! WTF? i swear that red one had

Spoiler:

thats......dammn impressive!

I mean, the Macross 1 was considered at leased a Destroyer and at most a Cruiser and its twin cannons was designed to take out battleships, battlecruisers and carriers, so mounting that type of weaponry on that frame, which is about 1/3 bigger then a vf-25.....woah...

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2007-12-28 at 14:46.
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 15:02   Link #339
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
After decades you'd think they would implement pin point barrier system for mecha mass production.

Heh must be expensive.

But it seems maximum coverage shielding for the dome is a reality. (Sealing the hole)
It's on all the VF-19's but it looks like the 19 still hasn't replaced the old 11 as the standard fighter yet.

As W.C. mentioned, they usually only activate it on the shield, but it's also used on the main body (shown in Plus).
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-28, 15:03   Link #340
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain
I'm shocked though that the one that won the audition is not playing the the role of the idol when I looked over the cast. I mean, it only makes sense if Nakajima was the one playing Sheryl right since she's the one who won through that singing/acting audition? Makes me wonder if Ranka would become a singing idol in the future, as the audition for the VA was also for singing...
That's almost a given since she sang the ED. If we were to compare the characters to older Macross archetypes, Sheryl would be Sharon Apple, the established superstar; and Ranka would be Lynn Minmei, the up and comer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos- ^
Both fleets are heading to the galatic core but that doesn't mean a thing. The core is HUGE, you could go to the core and still not be any close to where Megaroad-01 disappear.
To put things into perspective, the galactic core contains billions of stars, and encompasses many billions of cubic light-years. You could lose millions of 1 km ships in that much space and never find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
i hope they make this a four way love battle, why does it have to be a love triangle? why not a love square?
Tradition. Even though all the Macross shows take place in the same universe (sorta ), there are only three elements common to all of them: music, transformable fighters, and love triangles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
I mean, the Macross 1 was considered at leased a Destroyer and at most a Cruiser and its twin cannons was designed to take out battleships, battlecruisers and carriers, so mounting that type of weaponry on that frame, which is about 1/3 bigger then a vf-25.....woah...
The Macross cannon is much more powerful than what we've seen so far in Macross Frontier. It had a range of at least 300,000km with a beam diameter (visible and invisible) of around 1km; and it obliterated everything in its path. The red alien's gun is a pinprick compared to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
It's on all the VF-19's but it looks like the 19 still hasn't replaced the old 11 as the standard fighter yet.
It looks like the new line fighter is the VF-171.

Tags
action, romance