AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-19, 17:06   Link #301
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
US releases are always much cheaper than Japanese.
A 100 dollars for just two episodes and a blanket is not worth it, in my opinion. Especially in a bad economy. DEEN blames their lack of sales on the anime, rather than blaming it on themselves. Animes don't just magically appear - the quality of it is determined by how much effort the company producing it puts in. I guess they were counting on Umineko's popularity to pull them through, but they should have realized Higurashi was Ryukishi's breakout series, so of course it would be more popular than Umineko in terms of the anime (most Higurashi viewers were anime viewers turned VN players, while Umineko is the opposite)
Old 2010-01-19, 17:53   Link #302
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
You were comparing US prices of Haruhi and whatever else to the Japanese prices of Umineko.

Umineko discs

Haruhi Discs
Old 2010-01-19, 19:16   Link #303
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
You were comparing US prices of Haruhi and whatever else to the Japanese prices of Umineko.

Umineko discs

Haruhi Discs
It's still cheaper. I'm only talking about Gold Edition dvd discs, but still I'm trying to make a point.

DEEN is pricing too much for a dvd with only two episodes and barely anything extra.
Old 2010-01-20, 03:19   Link #304
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
It's still cheaper. I'm only talking about Gold Edition dvd discs, but still I'm trying to make a point.

DEEN is pricing too much for a dvd with only two episodes and barely anything extra.
While DEEN can be blamed for many things, DVD pricing isn't one of them (that's Frontier Works). They make the anime, but they don't own or sell it.

In fact, DEEN might not even earn royalties from Umineko if other Frontier Works contracts are indications. Strong sales mean work later when it's sequel time. Poor sales mean that they don't get the contract. Nonetheless, there's probably no immediate danger to their reputation given the recent successes of Junjou Romantica, Seitokai no Ichizon, and Hetalia (a massive hit for Frontier Works).

Quote:
I guess they were counting on Umineko's popularity to pull them through, but they should have realized Higurashi was Ryukishi's breakout series, so of course it would be more popular than Umineko in terms of the anime (most Higurashi viewers were anime viewers turned VN players, while Umineko is the opposite)
Nah, Higurashi already reached a customer base of 100,000 before they released the anime. Compared to other doujin VNs, it was second in popularity to Tsukihime.

I think timing was possibly the main reason that Higurashi succeeded. In 2006, Japan's DVD market was at its peak, so people were buying a broader range of products. Nowadays, many shows that might've done well a few years ago are not selling.

Quote:
But the reason why people like Bakemonogatari dvds so much is that they always add more onto the scenes, so that you can see extra, and correct any art errors they made or completely redraw some things.
Extras affect buyer incentive, but they don't turn flops into hits or vice versa. Had Umineko been well received, Frontier Works might have gotten away with those prices.

Bakemonogatari is simply a phenomenon in the same vein as Kara no Kyoukai or Haruhi (absolute crazes that took fandom by storm and brought everyone together). Many otaku aren't buying the Blu-Rays because the product is vastly superior to other offerings but because they're certificates of participation. The discs prove that they were there.

Last edited by TJR; 2010-01-20 at 03:31.
Old 2010-01-20, 04:36   Link #305
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

Send a message via MSN to ChibiBear
DEEN made Hetalia?!?!?!? O_o I totally respect them now
Old 2010-01-21, 02:30   Link #306
immblueversion

Quote:
There should also be a Note 1-6 boxset (which is basically EP 1-2 and the 1st episode of EP 3) coming out however, according to an ad that ran with the final episode of the anime, which will have a drama cd with Stakes Valentine + Beato's White Day.
A glimmer of hope, perhaps?

I mean, come on, "Stakes' Valentine"? "Beato's White Day"? This is Umineko MOE at its best! Who can resist THAT?

I may find the anime quality detestable to a degree, but dammit, I want a season two.

I just know what you should be doing.
Old 2010-01-28, 21:07   Link #307
Karicakes

Send a message via MSN to Karicakes
I've bought the teacup; The Rose Tea is AWESOME. haven't tested Battler yet ;D
Also, I have Maria's scorpion bracelet, a pen, the witche's portrait and epitaph shirt, a Kanon and Shannon face cloth (also comes in Beatrice and Cousin images) as well as a pencil board with Battler and Beato on it and Rokkenjima in Love.
You can also get the one winged eagle pin, shirt and chibi figures of Shannon, Battler, Maria and Jessica as well as big Maria and Jessica figures will be released.
Old 2010-01-29, 04:52   Link #308
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

did you buy them directly from Animate or some shop I dont know about? Or maybe you just used ebay?^^'
Old 2010-01-31, 14:40   Link #309
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttak View Post
Himeyashop did an awesome job!! It was fast and no headache
Also, I didn't know there was an Umineko card game , look who I got...
Spoiler for ep 5 character and ep6 CD front:

For someone that knows japanese: could you translate what's written in that card?
If it's against the spoiler rules to post this here, please send me a PM.
Omg. Nice! How come I didn't recieve any extra for Ep1-4 and Ep5 x2
Old 2010-01-31, 14:46   Link #310
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
I don't think there were extras for 1-3, or 5.... and I think 4 had a chess piece if you bought it early, and from Himeya....

But I got the Erika card with my Ep 6 If only there were more Umineko stuff to collect....
Old 2010-02-01, 14:38   Link #311
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

I think taht you got another chesspiece keychan from EP5 a horse but i dont think that you got it from Himeya only directly from Melonbooks.
Old 2010-02-01, 17:52   Link #312
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfarmer View Post
I don't think there were extras for 1-3, or 5.... and I think 4 had a chess piece if you bought it early, and from Himeya....

But I got the Erika card with my Ep 6 If only there were more Umineko stuff to collect....
Yeah, it seems EP6 had the Erika card as an all-around pre-order bonus, as every site I saw had it listed. I can't say anything about the EP4 bonus as I was just getting into the demo when it came out . Hope this will be a trend .

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
Old 2010-02-01, 19:03   Link #313
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rogue View Post
Yeah, it seems EP6 had the Erika card as an all-around pre-order bonus, as every site I saw had it listed. I can't say anything about the EP4 bonus as I was just getting into the demo when it came out . Hope this will be a trend .
I want something to come with Ep 6....

I'm hoping for another Umineko chess piece, which I heard some people who bought Ep 4 got.
Old 2010-02-05, 19:39   Link #314
Midori_Eggs
Magical Gohda Chef~!

I've been looking to buy EP 5, but I can't find a site that has it in stock. Does anyone know where I can buy it? HimeyaShop seems to have gotten rid of the listing, so it's kind of worrying me ^^;
I don't know if this is the right place to post.. oh well.
Old 2010-02-05, 19:52   Link #315
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Don't bother getting Ep 5; get the Ep 5-6 disk instead.
Old 2010-02-05, 19:59   Link #316
Midori_Eggs
Magical Gohda Chef~!

Quote:
Don't bother getting Ep 5; get the Ep 5-6 disk instead.
When does that come out? Or is it already released?
Old 2010-02-05, 20:12   Link #317
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midori_Eggs View Post
When does that come out? Or is it already released?
EP 6 is already released.
Old 2010-02-05, 21:49   Link #318
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Can't wait to see all the Goodsmile/Alter/Max Factory figures that won't be announced at WonFes tomorrow >_>
Old 2010-02-06, 19:32   Link #319
Midori_Eggs
Magical Gohda Chef~!

Quote:
EP 6 is already released.
So EP 6 contains EP 5 and EP 6? Just making sure, sorry for all the questions.
Old 2010-02-06, 19:54   Link #320
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midori_Eggs View Post
So EP 6 contains EP 5 and EP 6? Just making sure, sorry for all the questions.
Yes it does. When a game is released it holds all previous games in that series.

EP 4 holds all the question arcs and EP 8 will hold all the answer arcs.
Closed Thread