AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-08-07, 00:35   Link #4061
Kudryavka

In House, season 3 episode 22, "Resignation", when the patient starts whining about her head hurting, the camera pans to the top of her head and we see something bloody, nasty and throbbing. Is that her brain? how did the top of her head fall off? A pic can be provided.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 01:39   Link #4062
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
In House, season 3 episode 22, "Resignation", when the patient starts whining about her head hurting, the camera pans to the top of her head and we see something bloody, nasty and throbbing. Is that her brain? how did the top of her head fall off? A pic can be provided.
I don't remember this episode. Assuming her cranium was intact and there would be no increased ICP that would force a cerebral herniation outside the confines of the skull the only nasty bloody throbbing anywhere near the top of head are either inflamed blood vessel more commonly a vasculitis (probably giant cell arteritis) or even a tumor (most likely a carcinoma or a melanoma), however these diseases don't really "pop" unless you're really really sick.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 01:50   Link #4063
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I don't remember this episode. Assuming her cranium was intact and there would be no increased ICP that would force a cerebral herniation outside the confines of the skull the only nasty bloody throbbing anywhere near the top of head are either inflamed blood vessel more commonly a vasculitis (probably giant cell arteritis) or even a tumor (most likely a carcinoma or a melanoma), however these diseases don't really "pop" unless you're really really sick.
It's the episode where the karate girl coughs up blood because
Spoiler for spoiler, cause of sickness:
if that helps you remember.

I like your explanation, but the doctors seemed to wave it off for some reason, so I kinda thought it was just what the machine she was in saw, not actually her brain exposed (she was in the tumor searching machine). And do external tumors throb and bloody?

Another question, on the episode with the bratty chess prodigy kid,
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2010-08-07, 02:16   Link #4064
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
It's the episode where the karate girl coughs up blood because
Spoiler for spoiler, cause of sickness:
if that helps you remember.

I like your explanation, but the doctors seemed to wave it off for some reason, so I kinda thought it was just what the machine she was in saw, not actually her brain exposed (she was in the tumor searching machine). And do external tumors throb and bloody?

Another question, on the episode with the bratty chess prodigy kid,
Spoiler for spoiler:
Bacteria in the bloodstream at causes septicemia, which is literally a systemic blood infection. For this episode this happened because the GI bleed caused an opening of the GI contents to spill into the systemic circulation which is itself fairly common in many untreated GI ulcerations. The bacteria in question are most likely normal GI tract flora such as E. coli. Treatment for these cases focus on antibiotics active against gram negative bacteria.

I obviously need to have seen the chart of this patient, but throbbing of an artery secondary to septicemia was probably due to the vasoconstriction of the arteries as a response to the hypovolemia that occurs in septicemia patients.

As for the annoying chess prodigy kid, hemochromatosis can present with various systemic organ effects secondary to iron deposition in various tissues. Central and peripheral neuropathies can present when the iron deposits in neurons and ganglions, which accounts for the way the kid had issues holding his chest pieces due to the nerve involvement, but as to the seizures... well I can't explain why they're episodic rather than sustained.
Old 2010-08-07, 02:31   Link #4065
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Additionally, watching House and other Western medical dramas tend to highlight the fact that in many Western medical practices, more attention is given to the battery of tests you can subject to before you do a proper medical history, which is a gigantic problem for even the simplest of cases because glossing over a proper patient interview can easily allow you to overlook facts and information about the patient that could have allowed you to make an accurate diagnosis before you even send the patient to a machine.

The suicidal patient you mentioned first is a case in point. If the doctors properly interviewed the patient and her family even while she was run on all the scans, you would have figured out that the patient suffers from depression. You would then follow up with questions about depression such as Anhedonia, depressed mood, sleep changes and most important of all suicidal tendencies. After that if you listened in class you'd remember that for female suicidal patients the most common method of suicide is overdose ingestion of chemicals and drugs, so your next question is to address the method of the suicide attempt. From there if you manage to confirm toxin ingestion you'd have her go an endoscopy/colonoscopy/abdominal CT, would have seen the bleeding ulceration wherever it is and did something about it.

Makes me glad I study in a third world nation where laboratory and machine tests are practically a last resort because few can afford them, if at all.

I should also mention that you could EASILY drive down medical care costs if doctors did their thinking jobs and interviews first rather than having expensive machines do all the heavy lifting. I certainly didn't enter and suffer through medical school to have a machine do my work.

Translation: If you go see a doctor and upon stating your problem his first reaction is to drop you in the MRI, go find a different hospital and a different doctor. Expect to pay out of your ass in medical fees.
Old 2010-08-07, 02:36   Link #4066
Kudryavka

+1 to you. Thanks.

What's up with those multi-sided dice? Are they nerdy? What are their origins?

My three year old girl substitutes Ds and Ts for numerous consonants, including C, F, G, J, K, P, S, Ds for Ts, V, and Z. She's gotten so deep into the habit of substitution that when you ask her to say a word that includes one of the problem letters, and you say it correctly, she replaces the letters, doesn't even try to repeat what you said. I have no clue if she even has the capability to pronounce the problem letters. Speech therapy, or will she just grow out of it?

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-08-07 at 04:12.
Old 2010-08-07, 04:54   Link #4067
Tiberium Wolf

Crap. I am bugged with an excel problem. (using excel 2007)

I have like column P and Q, one with name and other with values from the following formula: = TRUNC((COUNTIF(C5:G2000,"1")/COUNT(A5:A2000))*100,2)

What I am doing is to count the number of times that the number 1 appears in the cells range C5:G2000, etc.

My problem is I wanna sort the P and Q.

Example of P and Q

N01 10.32
N02 8.55
N40 9.43

I wanna get the top 5 so I just select the 2 columns and use excel sort. The problem here is that the sort changes the values in the 2 ranges (C5:G2000 and A5:A2000) and I dunno why. I can't figure it out why it changes the formula. I couldn't find any solution in google.
Old 2010-08-07, 05:05   Link #4068
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post

I have like column P and Q, one with name and other with values from the following formula: = TRUNC((COUNTIF(C5:G2000,"1")/COUNT(A5:A2000))*100,2)

What I am doing is to count the number of times that the number 1 appears in the cells range C5:G2000, etc.

Example of P and Q

N01 10.32
N02 8.55
N40 9.43

I wanna get the top 5 so I just select the 2 columns and use excel sort. The problem here is that the sort changes the values in the 2 ranges (C5:G2000 and A5:A2000) and I dunno why. I can't figure it out why it changes the formula. I couldn't find any solution in google.
You have to scroll all the way up to see the top 5. The sort function moves only values, but they don't care about your functions.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 08:04   Link #4069
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You have to scroll all the way up to see the top 5. The sort function moves only values, but they don't care about your functions.
No no. I see everything... some of them has even an error msg saying some adjacent cells are missing and the functions are altered. This happens also if I just copy and paste them to another cell. Damn ranges get changed.
Old 2010-08-07, 09:23   Link #4070
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
No no. I see everything... some of them has even an error msg saying some adjacent cells are missing and the functions are altered. This happens also if I just copy and paste them to another cell. Damn ranges get changed.
Try posting in the tech support forum. I am sure you will get alot more help than here.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 11:09   Link #4071
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:

Example of P and Q

N01 10.32
N02 8.55
N40 9.43

Does it change the formula (I doubt it) or does it change the sorting of the values that the formula uses as input?

edit: Since you are using relative addressing... the sorting will affect the other cells too, messing up your input data set.
Use the calculated row as another input set for another formula that gives you a sorted list of what is in your current result list...
Old 2010-08-07, 11:27   Link #4072
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Does it change the formula (I doubt it) or does it change the sorting of the values that the formula uses as input?
What I don't understand... is how this function can give you different results, when it always uses the same range... from C5 to G2000 and from A5 to A2000 as inputs. There is a flaw in your explanation. I assume you missed out on some details. Currently I cannot identify the cause of your problem, but I have a vague idea what it could be (absolute vs. relative addressing). Anyway, first I want more details.
C5 to G2000 and from A5 to A2000 are where my raw data is.

"= TRUNC((COUNTIF(C5:G2000,"1")/COUNT(A5:A2000))*100,2)" this formula gives de values in Q cells (this line is just for N01.

P Q
N01 10.32
N02 8.55
N40 9.43

I do sort the C5:G2000 and from A5:A2000 changes to other values like for example: "= TRUNC((COUNTIF(C3:G1998,"4") /COUNT(A3:A1998)) * 100,2)" -> this one was N04 formula after the sort. The N04 was the 2nd with the high value so moved 2 places up and so seems like the ranges values got a -2. If the N0X goes down it's +Y position to the range. BTW, when do sort I select P and Q cells.
Old 2010-08-07, 15:08   Link #4073
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Are you familiar with VBA? I made you a simple sorter in VBA you just need to tweak some values...

source code:

Code:
Sub Sort()

Dim inputColumn01 As Range
Dim inputColumn02 As Range
Dim sortedIndexColumn01() As Integer

Dim loopIndex As Long

Set inputColumn01 = Worksheets("Tabelle1").Range("C3:C13") 'containing the numbers
Set inputColumn02 = Worksheets("Tabelle1").Range("B3:B13") 'containing the leading Texts

sortedIndexColumn01 = SortIndices(inputColumn01)

For loopIndex = 1 To inputColumn01.Rows.Count

Worksheets("Tabelle1").Cells(loopIndex + 2, 6) = inputColumn01(sortedIndexColumn01(loopIndex - 1) + 1, 1)
Worksheets("Tabelle1").Cells(loopIndex + 2, 5) = inputColumn02(sortedIndexColumn01(loopIndex - 1) + 1, 1)

Next loopIndex

End Sub

Function SortIndices(ByVal InputArray As Range) As Integer() 'this is a very inefficient sorting algorithm if you feel like implementing QuickSort instead of this in VBA then HAVE FUN

Dim sortedIdx() As Integer
Dim origIdx() As Integer
Dim origIdx2() As Integer
Dim loopIndex As Integer
Dim loopIndex2 As Integer
Dim tempIdx As Integer
Dim workerA2Counter As Integer
Dim workerArray1() As Single
Dim workerArray2() As Single
ReDim workerArray1(0 To InputArray.Rows.Count - 1)
ReDim sortedIdx(0 To InputArray.Rows.Count - 1)
ReDim origIdx(0 To InputArray.Rows.Count - 1)

For loopIndex = 1 To InputArray.Rows.Count
workerArray1(loopIndex - 1) = InputArray(loopIndex, 1)
origIdx(loopIndex - 1) = loopIndex - 1
Next loopIndex

For loopIndex = 0 To InputArray.Rows.Count - 1
tempIdx = FindMinimum(workerArray1)
sortedIdx(loopIndex) = origIdx(tempIdx)
If UBound(workerArray1) > 1 Then
ReDim workerArray2(0 To UBound(workerArray1) - 1)
ReDim origIdx2(0 To UBound(workerArray1) - 1)
workerA2Counter = 0
For loopIndex2 = 0 To UBound(workerArray1)
If loopIndex2 <> tempIdx Then
workerArray2(workerA2Counter) = workerArray1(loopIndex2)
origIdx2(workerA2Counter) = origIdx(loopIndex2)
workerA2Counter = workerA2Counter + 1
End If
Next loopIndex2
workerArray1 = workerArray2
origIdx = origIdx2
Else
loopIndex = loopIndex + 1
If tempIdx = 1 Then
sortedIdx(loopIndex) = origIdx(0)
Else
sortedIdx(loopIndex) = origIdx(1)
End If
End If
Next loopIndex

SortIndices = sortedIdx
End Function

Function FindMinimum(InputArray() As Single) As Integer

Dim loopIndex As Integer
Dim localMinimumIdx As Integer

localMinimumIdx = 0
For loopIndex = 0 To UBound(InputArray)
If InputArray(loopIndex) < InputArray(localMinimumIdx) Then
localMinimumIdx = loopIndex
End If
Next loopIndex

FindMinimum = localMinimumIdx
End Function
And here is the link to the file that contains the VBA macro + example table (its all packed into the xml file - I was using a rather old Excel 2002 - I hope it works in your newer Excel).

http://www.digital-soul-drift.de/Sorting.rar

As I said you need tweak some things in sort() to make it work for your xml sheet. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

But you should know something, I am not a VBA guru... actually I hate this atrocity of a failed try of a programming language. So, don't ask too much about VBA itself.

Ah, the macro has one disadvantage, you have to run it manually each time you want to update your sheet.
Old 2010-08-07, 15:18   Link #4074
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
actually I hate this atrocity of a failed try of a programming language [...]
Amen. Though the TWTF is how this monster was one of the most used languages at one point.
Old 2010-08-07, 17:40   Link #4075
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Are you familiar with VBA? I made you a simple sorter in VBA you just need to tweak some values...

source code:

Code:
Sub Sort()

Dim inputColumn01 As Range
Dim inputColumn02 As Range
Dim sortedIndexColumn01() As Integer

Dim loopIndex As Long

Set inputColumn01 = Worksheets("Tabelle1").Range("C3:C13") 'containing the numbers
Set inputColumn02 = Worksheets("Tabelle1").Range("B3:B13") 'containing the leading Texts

sortedIndexColumn01 = SortIndices(inputColumn01)

For loopIndex = 1 To inputColumn01.Rows.Count

Worksheets("Tabelle1").Cells(loopIndex + 2, 6) = inputColumn01(sortedIndexColumn01(loopIndex - 1) + 1, 1)
Worksheets("Tabelle1").Cells(loopIndex + 2, 5) = inputColumn02(sortedIndexColumn01(loopIndex - 1) + 1, 1)

Next loopIndex

End Sub

Function SortIndices(ByVal InputArray As Range) As Integer() 'this is a very inefficient sorting algorithm if you feel like implementing QuickSort instead of this in VBA then HAVE FUN

Dim sortedIdx() As Integer
Dim origIdx() As Integer
Dim origIdx2() As Integer
Dim loopIndex As Integer
Dim loopIndex2 As Integer
Dim tempIdx As Integer
Dim workerA2Counter As Integer
Dim workerArray1() As Single
Dim workerArray2() As Single
ReDim workerArray1(0 To InputArray.Rows.Count - 1)
ReDim sortedIdx(0 To InputArray.Rows.Count - 1)
ReDim origIdx(0 To InputArray.Rows.Count - 1)

For loopIndex = 1 To InputArray.Rows.Count
workerArray1(loopIndex - 1) = InputArray(loopIndex, 1)
origIdx(loopIndex - 1) = loopIndex - 1
Next loopIndex

For loopIndex = 0 To InputArray.Rows.Count - 1
tempIdx = FindMinimum(workerArray1)
sortedIdx(loopIndex) = origIdx(tempIdx)
If UBound(workerArray1) > 1 Then
ReDim workerArray2(0 To UBound(workerArray1) - 1)
ReDim origIdx2(0 To UBound(workerArray1) - 1)
workerA2Counter = 0
For loopIndex2 = 0 To UBound(workerArray1)
If loopIndex2 <> tempIdx Then
workerArray2(workerA2Counter) = workerArray1(loopIndex2)
origIdx2(workerA2Counter) = origIdx(loopIndex2)
workerA2Counter = workerA2Counter + 1
End If
Next loopIndex2
workerArray1 = workerArray2
origIdx = origIdx2
Else
loopIndex = loopIndex + 1
If tempIdx = 1 Then
sortedIdx(loopIndex) = origIdx(0)
Else
sortedIdx(loopIndex) = origIdx(1)
End If
End If
Next loopIndex

SortIndices = sortedIdx
End Function

Function FindMinimum(InputArray() As Single) As Integer

Dim loopIndex As Integer
Dim localMinimumIdx As Integer

localMinimumIdx = 0
For loopIndex = 0 To UBound(InputArray)
If InputArray(loopIndex) < InputArray(localMinimumIdx) Then
localMinimumIdx = loopIndex
End If
Next loopIndex

FindMinimum = localMinimumIdx
End Function
And here is the link to the file that contains the VBA macro + example table (its all packed into the xml file - I was using a rather old Excel 2002 - I hope it works in your newer Excel).

http://www.digital-soul-drift.de/Sorting.rar

As I said you need tweak some things in sort() to make it work for your xml sheet. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

But you should know something, I am not a VBA guru... actually I hate this atrocity of a failed try of a programming language. So, don't ask too much about VBA itself.

Ah, the macro has one disadvantage, you have to run it manually each time you want to update your sheet.
Thx it works... I have modified it to work with my file. It's a kind awful code
Old 2010-08-07, 19:17   Link #4076
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
TWTF
What does that stand for?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 02:18   Link #4077
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
What does that stand for?
I was interpreting TWTF as something along the lines of "truly what the fu**".
Old 2010-08-08, 03:02   Link #4078
monster

Quote:
I was interpreting TWTF as something along the lines of "truly what the fu**".
Though the truly what the f* is how this monster was one of the most used languages at one point.

The sentence structure caused me to assume that felix was giving an actual reason. But alright, I think I get the idea now.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 03:24   Link #4079
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

TWTF = True WTF

Example: someone comes to you and shows you a picture how two white people have a black child; someone might say "the TWTF there is how the two white people are brother and sister."
Old 2010-08-08, 03:57   Link #4080
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
TWTF = True WTF

Example: someone comes to you and shows you a picture how two white people have a black child; someone might say "the TWTF there is how the two white people are brother and sister."
This sounds similar to a certain person's recent fail situation in the Humor thread. XS

Tags
problem, q&a, serious