AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

Old 2011-10-09, 18:41   Link #821
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
I must be missing something here, but what is it about the OP some don't seem to like? But then again I didn't really watch K-on, so maybe I wouldn't know
What I (and several others) don't like about the OP is that it's so very disharmonic
The "mute" button is very helpful there.

I've seen K-On, and while the OP was a little strange, it was still bearable.

Quote:
For example why none of them really have friends to talk to, these characters aren't exactly sane people
Actually, no. I don't have read manga or novel, but going from the first episode alone, it seems that only Yozora is a bit abnormal. She's imagining an "air friend", then that strange recruitment poster...
Kodaka only stayed friend-less because of his mishaps - taking the wrong bus, coming too late the first day, then his misinterpreted stumbling... not his fault, really.
Sena is scorned by the other girls because she's too popular with the boys. Also here, not her fault.

Can't say anything about other members who haven't appeared yet. I think however that Yozora's condition will also affect the others in the club
Old 2011-10-09, 18:51   Link #822
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@mangatron: The OP audio-wise is horrible... and that comes from a guy that loves black/death-metal-growls Just follow german-stripped-panties tip and watch it muted... totally a different experience
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 18:54   Link #823
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
Seen various ways to translate zennan, which is the common theme for this show. It's hard to capture it in english but I think unfortunate is probably the closest. It implies a meaning of 'could've been, too bad, if only' etc. So it's all about appearance being deceiving and those rather unfortunate and unexplained trait of the characters that made them what they are. And looks like these traits will quickly be established in no time. So the OP and ED are also trolling in a way, like the PV in 00 (which, is not aimed at new comers to begin with given it's bundled with the LN vol 7, and given the LN is topping charts they don't even need to make a generic PV as the LN fanbase is big enough).

To get an idea of the popularity of this show, which without doubt many elitist will dismiss the series for this reason alone, it is dominating the blue-ray disk sales on Amazon Japan.
“For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'” - John Greenleaf Whittier

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 19:09   Link #824
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
@mangatron: The OP audio-wise is horrible... and that comes from a guy that loves black/death-metal-growls Just follow german-stripped-panties tip and watch it muted... totally a different experience
Stripped panties? Freudian slip much?
It's striped panties, but stripped panties is also an interesting idea
Old 2011-10-09, 19:23   Link #825
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Stripped panties? Freudian slip much?
It's striped panties, but stripped panties is also an interesting idea
I admit I am all-willing-voluntary subject to the austrain father of psycho-analysis, but stripped vs striped could you enlighten me german-english-grammar-nazi
Old 2011-10-09, 19:27   Link #826
Candyshark

You will get a limpse of manga's artist next episode.

Can somebody please explain me why the series called haganai?
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 19:34   Link #827
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

友達ない
boku HA tomodachi GA sukuNAI
The "haganai" comes from the only words in the title that are not written in Kanji.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 20:11   Link #828
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
By the way, just for the record in case anyone's wondering, the Blu-Ray solicitations say that this show will have 12 episodes. Of course, this doesn't bar future seasons if it does well.
Aw man, so it is only a 1 cour.
Don't omit my favorite chapter please >.>

Quote:
- Kodaka is a "Half" with blonde hair, which already leads to some prejudice. Then he takes the wrong bus and comes too late the first day. Finally, he stumbles in class, panting heavily, making it look as if he wanted to assault the teacher. Strike three - you're out. With that, his reputation as a delinquent was finally settled.
Not to mention he also has that weird, wild-looking way of dress compared to other male students in that school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I just read some of the manga, and I can safely say I think I get why these people don't have friends. They're not just insane. They're really insane.
But it's in a hilarious way, so it's good for us XD
Old 2011-10-09, 22:45   Link #829
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Actually, no. I don't have read manga or novel, but going from the first episode alone, it seems that only Yozora is a bit abnormal. She's imagining an "air friend", then that strange recruitment poster...
Kodaka only stayed friend-less because of his mishaps - taking the wrong bus, coming too late the first day, then his misinterpreted stumbling... not his fault, really.
Sena is scorned by the other girls because she's too popular with the boys. Also here, not her fault.
Let me tell you. Kodaka is there to keep the club in the sane state. Aside from his extremely lame joke.
Each of them may not be that insane as people make them out to be, but combining all of them, you get the whole mad group.
Old 2011-10-09, 22:50   Link #830
Shadow5YA

They're only really insane when they're together. Individually, everyone in the Neighbors' Club just has some kind of quirk that makes it hard for them to socialize with other. With Kodaka, it's his appearance and the bad first impression he made. With Yozora, it's her imaginary friend and just being really mean in general.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 23:03   Link #831
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i dont think other pepople know about yozora imaginary friand nor that shes mean since no one socialize with her since she seems always so gloomy and sad.
Old 2011-10-09, 23:44   Link #832
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I find that Yozora overthink the different aspects of befriending, that's one thing that is hindering her from attempting to make friends.

Secondly, she seem to want to be approached rather than to approach herself.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 23:55   Link #833
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

well if you think about it is true, how can you tell you became friends with someone??, i think the anime made pretty clear that the air friend is just a charade...er well i mean she dont believe in it either, she was just like kodaka ,practising social interaction, i dont know wich of the two would be less embarassing, or she migth just be socially inept for another reason we will know later.
Old 2011-10-10, 00:01   Link #834
potchip

Both Yozora and Sena are extremely proud/arrogant + stubborn. Their personality differs from how they derive pleasure from - For Yozora it is to manipulate/tease (but who else would stick around other than the equally socially inept Sena?), for Sena its the feeling of superiority and other's recognition. So it is not that Sena doesn't enjoy the male company - she does, except it comes so easily that she doesn't put much value on it. Instead the being disliked by other females is a blight on her self-esteem as the 'perfect' person.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 00:29   Link #835
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I find that Yozora overthink the different aspects of befriending, that's one thing that is hindering her from attempting to make friends.
she analyzed just fine the social dynamics of friend-making, it's just that 99% of mankind don't give a shit about it and do whatever, even with 1% success rate it will bring more friends, given the times they try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Secondly, she seem to want to be approached rather than to approach herself.
Also true, yet unrelated fact
Old 2011-10-10, 00:34   Link #836
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyshark View Post
You will get a limpse of manga's artist next episode.

Can somebody please explain me why the series called haganai?
As what Marcus has pointed out. To add on that, the author has abbreviated the name of this series to "Haganai" in the afterword of volume 1. So it's an official abbreviation.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 00:36   Link #837
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
What I (and several others) don't like about the OP is that it's so very disharmonic

The "mute" button is very helpful there.
*thinks*

I've come to the conclusion that I must be too insane to not be bothered by it

Quote:

Can't say anything about other members who haven't appeared yet. I think however that Yozora's condition will also affect the others in the club
Hm, then I shall explain from an episode only viewpoint.

What we're seeing is the facade of these characters, them who they are on the surface. It is that clubroom that brought out their true selves. While Yozora's case is obvious, Kodaka's predicament was the rumor one month ago, which still haunts him. But he's not done anything to rectify that event.I would say if he really wanted, he could have spoken up, but he maintained his isolation, which I wouldn't exactly call a smart thing to do considering he wants a real friend. Looking at Sena, although she is surrounded by boys most of the time, what she desires is to have friends she can do activities with, which aren't the boys because she they're like servants, and of course we see why she doesn't have any girl friends due to the servants. But she's really stuck up, or rather prideful, which isn't really a sane start to friendships. Not to mention what she does to the boys doesn't exactly sound sane enough either

This is where it all comes together. In this clubroom of theirs, these 3 more or less got what they wanted; Kodaka managed to be on speaking terms with Yozora, Sena's finally speaking with a boy who doesn't want to be stepped on, and Yozora actually got a near replica of her air friend in Sena (funny how Sena fits much of Tomo-chan's description). This is where the insanity starts, this clubroom, and them having what each other wanted, but not exactly going about their activities to a sane start (I'd like to note that the final straw of Sena's friendship to Yozora, is how the episode ended. Sena, unable to hold a candle to Yozora's banter, is effectively the last description of Tomo-chan, that she would not betray Yozora, simply because, well... Yozora is boss)

That's what I hope this series will use as it's foundation: not the individuality of it's characters, but each of their unique traits shoved all into one room. 1 strange person doesn't stick out as much as 5(6) of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
友達ない

boku HA tomodachi GA sukuNAI

The "haganai" comes from the only words in the title that are not written in Kanji.
Oh thanks, I was wondering why the main site was "haganai" and not "Boku ha..."
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 06:05   Link #838
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Oh thanks, I was wondering why the main site was "haganai" and not "Boku ha..."
Well you either go with Haganai or Bokutomo.

I think using Bokutomo is better when referring to the series elsewhere tho, "Haganai" is a little trickier to grasp
Old 2011-10-10, 07:32   Link #839
Qikz

yozora ftw <3333
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 07:57   Link #840
Clarste
Human

The concept is amusing. Put three people with no friends into the same club and you get... three people with no social skills having no idea what they're doing. Sounds about right.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, romance, shounen