AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Aquarion EVOL - Episode 26 [End] Rating
Perfect 10 25 27.47%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 17.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 7.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 13.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 10.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 6.59%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.20%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.20%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 11 12.09%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-26, 04:39   Link #321
Destined_Fate

Eh, now they can make the couple look worse by becoming a couple themselves. It will be their counter troll strategy!
Old 2012-06-26, 07:26   Link #322
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Eh, now they can make the couple look worse by becoming a couple themselves. It will be their counter troll strategy!
The story would have been so much more enjoyable without the pseudo love triangles.

They could have used to time devoted to Zessica's love martyr or those retarded dick contests between Amata and Kagura, to give Mikono some in though on why it was so difficult for her to commit (daddy issue, I'm too useless for Amata to like me, he's just pretending... whatever). Maybe also allow her to grow as a self reliant pilot eventually. No Kagura helps Amata not to look like a retard and spare us the embarassing destiny non sense and angst.

Kishimoto trainwrecked his own story and main characters development for the sake of pointless drama, triangles and reincarnations shenanigan.

Sure it was fun to speculate, but consistent story and characters come first.
Old 2012-06-26, 07:55   Link #323
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Oh come on people, was the ending really that bad? It was mostly as cheesy as the rest of the show, and Okada was obviously rushing to cram in everything necessary for a happy ending, but other than the overly rapid plot/character developments in the end at the very least the ending fit the show.
Actually, I thought the ending was pretty much like the show (minus the really aggravating parts, though the recycled footage was aggravating enough for me). Loud, cheesy, with pretty visuals, clunky writing, and of course the actual plot didn't make too much sense but much like Genesis, Evol also worked better when I just put my brain aside. It managed to give closure to the important issues (who cares about tiny, unimportant details such as ah, an entire planet), etc. To be honest, I think overall people a) are just bitter because of the whole pro-Zessica anti-Amata/Mikono bias, and b) think too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Now when's that final review thread going up? I would really like to criticize Okada's management of the large cast, which was the weakest part of the show as a whole.
Oh, do we usually have those? Not that I have too much to say aside of what I'd already said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Eh, strange that Kagura calling Zessica a bitch seemed to flip a switch in her.
He didn't call her a bitch, he called her Depressed Girl (someone give me a more snappy translation for that...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Hayase View Post
Edit: After wathcing this episode a second time, I felt that it was really unnatural how both Mikono and Amata literally forgot about Zessica's existence throughout this scene and the episode she "died." And this episode, Zessica and Kagura were both out of character, the change in their character was way too sudden with the lack of development.
Frankly, if you think about all the stuff that was going on it's not unnatural at all. There was just too much stuff happening, and everyone was preoccupied with the one thing they were focusing on, in Amata's case saving Mikono, and in Mikono's case "wtf is going on?!" (I mean, if you start blaming them for this you might as well blame Zessica for apparently forgetting about everyone except for Amata...)

Kagura's and Zessica's 180 degree turn was pretty sudden - I wouldn't say Zessica was too out of character (I mean, this is how she used to be, waaay back), Kagura's "yay, go Amata!" was weirder - I can see where it came from, it simply wasn't developed enough. Obviously both could've been handled better, except that would've required actual character handling instead of the "DANCE PUPPETS, DANCE" type of writing that plagued the entire show. hopefully the director's cut will elaborate on it a little.
Old 2012-06-26, 08:25   Link #324
mayumi

It is rather funny that Zessica was the one to tell Amata to fight fate but it was the other Amata- Kagura who listened. Zessica was drowning in this whole fate stuff but kagura who always talked about fate is the one who changed his own fate.
It is almost like kagura is sirius who wanted to be Apollonius, fell for Reika and in the end he could care less about whether he was Apollonius or not.
If they just executed that kagura character change in a smoother way, this ending would not be so bad or atleeast explained what the heck caused kagura to change.
Old 2012-06-26, 08:32   Link #325
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
It is rather funny that Zessica was the one to tell Amata to fight fate but it was the other Amata- Kagura who listened. Zessica was drowning in this whole fate stuff but kagura who always talked about fate is the one who changed his own fate.
It is almost like kagura is sirius who wanted to be Apollonius, fell for Reika and in the end he could care less about whether he was Apollonius or not.
If they just executed that kagura character change in a smoother way, this ending would not be so bad or atleeast explained what the heck caused kagura to change.
Just make Kagura a character who is not Amata's samefag, and spare us the embarassing non-sensical blabering about destiny.

It would have been better.

Kagura and Amata's confrontations were one of the worst thing of the show. seriously.
Old 2012-06-26, 09:18   Link #326
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Beside all of the cheesy stuffs happening all over this episode...

I have to say, Amata confession scene is one of the best i have ever seen, made me go "hell yeah boy grab your wench now!"
Old 2012-06-26, 10:27   Link #327
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Kagura's "yay, go Amata!" was weirder - I can see where it came from, it simply wasn't developed enough.
I don't think any amount of justification can really make this work in a single episode (and the DC is likely not going to add anything worthwhile if the first was any indication. I'd expect that they simply cut out all of the gattai sequences and a few minor details to save time... like maybe whatever happened to the whole of Altair?). Just the same as it was silly how, in fractions of one episodes, we went from Amata trying to kill Kagura over his dead parents, to Mikono, to not trying to kill Kagura anymore all of a sudden. The ending, and really the last two episodes, were riddled with characters dancing to Okada's (she wrote both) tune. If she had introduced the change to Kagura anywhere between 22-25 (where he's freed from Mykage's control and has regained his memories) it would have probably been easier to swallow but, instead, we go from Kagura's readiness to watch the world explode to, a couple of minutes later, him not caring about Mikono anymore and just handing her over. Zessica goes from not even putting up a fight to somehow suddenly becoming an inconvenience to Mykage. We go from Mykage being able to readily mind-control Kagura to not using it at all in the final battle... and letting them live for some reason. Mykage goes from needing a body to suddenly not needing a body just cause the plot demanded. Blah blah blah.

What they may have been trying to accomplish with Kagura and what seems to have gotten lost in the translation, is that I think Okada was trying to drive home the idea from the last episode. Amata is in love with Mikono of now (though she (Okada) kind of undermines this with the whole *i was born to suffer to feel like sylvia* that... I don't even care enough to talk about it) while Kagura is in love with Sylvia of then. He was projecting Sylvia onto Mikono and, when he magically realized it wasn't quite the case, he made his big proclamation of "I love 12000 years of Sylvia, you love Mikono of now, go my bro!" So, had it been just a little better handled, you'd have Kagura content with loving the past, and Amata content with loving the present. Keeps true to their characters.

Heck, just make it Kagura giving the *born to suffer and be alone* thing to Mikono as an apology to Sylvia, since he was (until the last episode) always portrayed as the more Apollo figure. Make that his closure of sorts, and have Amata move on with *now*.

It really does come off as if there was a last minute *keep them alive!* change with Kagura and Zessica.
Old 2012-06-26, 10:49   Link #328
Amata Sora

Wait, theres going to be a directors cut?!?!?
and so it continues.......
Does anyone have info about its release yet?
Old 2012-06-26, 10:59   Link #329
mayumi

Kagura even said Amata left Silvia alone 12000 yrs ago and Amata didn't even acknowledge it. This episode Amata suddenly remembered it and said he was reborn to see Silvia's suffering when it was Kagura who all long knew it. Whatever!

I was hoping Silvia lived a happy life even after Apollo left 12000 yrs agobut I guess that never happened and so Mikono's soul was suffereing for 12000 yrs that she became a meek useless princess that basically had to be rescued.

The only thing i can think of this zessica-kagura stuff is that he sees his silvia from 12000 yrs ago in zessica.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:00   Link #330
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I don't think any amount of justification can really make this work in a single episode (and the DC is likely not going to add anything worthwhile if the first was any indication. I'd expect that they simply cut out all of the gattai sequences and a few minor details to save time... like maybe whatever happened to the whole of Altair?).
Well, even a few extra scenes or lines here or there would go a long way. Not that it would completely fix the problem, but it would make the transition a tad more natural. That said, I'm not expecting much either (at least not on this front), but hope never dies and whatnot.

Quote:
The ending, and really the last two episodes, were riddled with characters dancing to Okada's (she wrote both) tune.
You mean the entire series. It's just that these two eps had to deal with all the unforeshadowed, poorly handled stuff that accumulated during the show's run.

Quote:
If she had introduced the change to Kagura anywhere between 22-25 (where he's freed from Mykage's control and has regained his memories) it would have probably been easier to swallow but, instead, we go from Kagura's readiness to watch the world explode to, a couple of minutes later, him not caring about Mikono anymore and just handing her over.
I think they just lost their sense of time, which happens pretty often in shows made up of weekly episodes, but for what it's worth that didn't bother me either, specially for this reason. Sure, if we get down to it the last four eps happened pretty much within 24 hours or so, but it sure didn't have that impression. (Btw, I don't think it was undermined with the ~suffering~ thing - they dealt with that in a pretty nice way.)

Quote:
What they may have been trying to accomplish with Kagura and what seems to have gotten lost in the translation ...
Er, I don't think it was lost in translation, I've been saying that this is the case for a good while now, and I think it was made pretty clear earlier... It's just that Kagura actually getting around realizing this was delayed until the last episode with no hint for it whatsoever, so of course his turn of heart (if it can be called that) didn't have a proper foundation.

Quote:
It really does come off as if there was a last minute *keep them alive!* change with Kagura and Zessica.
I don't know. Kagura and Zessica have obviously been designed to be fan favorite characters (Kagura, the sexy wild bad boy who's like the clone of the beloved main character of the previous series; Zessica, the outgoing, genki girl with the barely-there clothes that show off her ahem, assets, that she uses to tease guys...) and as I doubt the happy ending was a last minute decision, I don't think keeping them alive was a last minute decision either. I think that they just screwed up the pacing and development, as with so many other things in this show.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:01   Link #331
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

By Director's Cut what do they mean? Which episodes are they giving us new material for?
Old 2012-06-26, 11:09   Link #332
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
By Director's Cut what do they mean? Which episodes are they giving us new material for?
At the end of episode there was annoucement about Director's Cut of last episode in last volume (end of December, so much time to wait). Let's have hope it will be something more then what they did with first two episodes.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:12   Link #333
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
At the end of episode there was annoucement about Director's Cut of last episode in last volume (end of December, so much time to wait). Let's have hope it will be something more then what they did with first two episodes.
Hopefully it will fill some plot-holes or offer character development. What did they do with the first two episodes?
Old 2012-06-26, 11:14   Link #334
Auron Requies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Only heard about this now. If thats the case, I'm definitely in. Only wondering if the director's cut is considered 'canon'. If its a "stuff we cut out cause we changed our minds DC" instead of a "Stuff we cut cause we lacked time to add it DC" I'd be less thrilled but meh, just have to wait and see.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:20   Link #335
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Well, even a few extra scenes or lines here or there would go a long way. Not that it would completely fix the problem, but it would make the transition a tad more natural. That said, I'm not expecting much either (at least not on this front), but hope never dies and whatnot.
It'd still come off as *sudden* given its, well, sudden appearance. I'm used to the characters acting like different people between episodes, but Kagura's was a real extreme. It was his entire character, not that it was much, in this show.

Quote:
Er, I don't think it was lost in translation, I've been saying that this is the case for a good while now, and I think it was made pretty clear earlier... It's just that Kagura actually getting around realizing this was delayed until the last episode with no hint for it whatsoever, so of course his turn of heart (if it can be called that) didn't have a proper foundation.
By translation, I mean from Jap to Eng. I don't think the subs did it much justice from the pictures I've seen floating around from the subbed version. (Same with the "bitch" thing, which he simply does not say. Pathetic or depressed or bottom of the barrel is much more accurate.) The English translation makes it look like he just threw up his arms and gave up everything all of a sudden. Where its more accurate to say that he simply realized (rushed as it was) that he loved Sylvia, not Mikono, and realized it. He didn't have a turn of heart, which is almost what it looks like in English, he just made a realization. (Of course, if you fix the translations you'll get the Kagura and Zessica shippers mad. )

That said, I think it would have been better for him to do the suffering and chat with Sylvia, to give him a bit of closure on that front. Otherwise, he's just left in a state of loving Sylvia, dead as she has been for 12,000 years. But I guess that's par for the course in this show. Yunoha's in love with a dead person, Cayenne is *ahem* friends with a dead person, Zessica is in love with a taken person, and Kagura is in love with a really, really dead person.

Guess we have the ground work for AQ3 already.

Quote:
I think that they just screwed up the pacing and development, as with so many other things in this show.
When they killed Jin, something in the show just up and died.

Quote:
Hopefully it will fill some plot-holes or offer character development. What did they do with the first two episodes?
Changed scene order, added two seconds of fluff, and nothing changed.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:23   Link #336
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Vena Here's to hoping that the next director's cut adds some material story-telling wise.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:33   Link #337
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Vena Here's to hoping that the next director's cut adds some material story-telling wise.
If it was anything considerable, they'd have advertised it same as F/Z did when they had the extended episode of 11 (I think it was). They (ufotable) flat out said, we cut this by a lot to fit broadcast times, watch it later for completeness. This seems like a tease to buy more BDs much like the Ep1&2 tease didn't amount to much.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:36   Link #338
pingva

Quote:
What did they do with the first two episodes?
They just added some small details during robot fight, Soumi's lesson about Aquarion in the chapel and added some singing during a training session with Donar.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:48   Link #339
Auron Requies

Quote:
It'd still come off as *sudden* given its, well, sudden appearance. I'm used to the characters acting like different people between episodes, but Kagura's was a real extreme. It was his entire character, not that it was much, in this show.
That's the problem, if they had maybe made an episode or to show a more logical transition to his state in the end it'd be satisfying. Instead his confrontation with Amata was a rinse/repeat (though the torso vs torso mech battle was still a pretty neat idea).

Quote:
That said, I think it would have been better for him to do the suffering and chat with Sylvia, to give him a bit of closure on that front. Otherwise, he's just left in a state of loving Sylvia, dead as she has been for 12,000 years. But I guess that's par for the course in this show. Yunoha's in love with a dead person, Cayenne is *ahem* friends with a dead person, Zessica is in love with a taken person, and Kagura is in love with a really, really dead person.
And each of them will have their own theme song of love (well, Yunoha already has one lol).

I reckon that it would have actually been interesting to see is the interaction between Kagura AND Apollo. Kagura would probably have also gotten more closure to his character with having a moment with Sylvia, especially since Mikono apologized to him back when they entered Altair, which (imo) could have meant "I'm sorry, but the one I love is Amata" or "I'm sorry, I didn't know you were Pollon, and I didn't know you felt that way" (this last one was, iirc, is based on the episode we find out that Pollon = Apollo reincarnation family line).

Quote:
Guess we have the ground work for AQ3 already.
Evol had a 7+ year gap. They'd probably troll this fact by making AQ3 8+ years.

Quote:
When they killed Jin, something in the show just up and died.
I reckon its another case of, characters you tend to like + are most remembered are those who bit the bullet. I was saddened by his death scene, and it did its job of making people hate Mykage more. A part of me just wished Jin got more interaction then just 3 odd episodes since his interaction with the cast was definitely fun.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:53   Link #340
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron Requies View Post
I reckon its another case of, characters you tend to like + are most remembered are those who bit the bullet. I was saddened by his death scene, and it did its job of making people hate Mykage more. A part of me just wished Jin got more interaction then just 3 odd episodes since his interaction with the cast was definitely fun.
I meant more that the show turned for the worse after Jin's death. A lot of the bad, bad, bad scripting and writing reared its head after Jin's death. It was always there but the show just started spiraling out of control with Jin's death... right around when the show tried to be serious.