Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-06-25, 21:16   Link #21
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Those are all real novels you mentionned. If you want a good example of light novel (novels with manga-style illustrations) that doesn't have moe designs, Baccano! and Durarara! are your best bet (it's funny they both share the same author lol).
Which side of the fence does Hyouka fall on?

Among stuff I know is classed as light novel I'd say the best light novel based series I've watched are Bakemonogatari and Kurenai as the best and the worst is Kanokon. Not sure I can really speak to best adaptation since I rarely read source material.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 00:06   Link #22
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Best LN adaptations imo would be Full Metal Panic, Spice and Wolf, Baccano and in recent times Jinrui. Oh and I guess Fate Zero.

Too many bad ones, so it's hard to say which are the worst since LN's adaptations being bad are the norm.

As for Hyouka, wasn't that an actual novel? Also I recall that being written in 2000 or something, which is completely different climate to what it is now. I'm sure Kyoani changed a lot of things and made it fit with contemporary standards and expectations.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 01:43   Link #23
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Those are all real novels you mentionned. If you want a good example of light novel (novels with manga-style illustrations) that doesn't have moe designs, Baccano! and Durarara! are your best bet (it's funny they both share the same author lol).
Oh they have that, trust me. But like everything else in those novels, their implementation is different from norm to an extent.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-06-26 at 12:55.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-26, 04:27   Link #24
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Best LN adaptations imo would be Full Metal Panic, Spice and Wolf, Baccano and in recent times Jinrui. Oh and I guess Fate Zero.

Too many bad ones, so it's hard to say which are the worst since LN's adaptations being bad are the norm.

As for Hyouka, wasn't that an actual novel? Also I recall that being written in 2000 or something, which is completely different climate to what it is now. I'm sure Kyoani changed a lot of things and made it fit with contemporary standards and expectations.
It actually first started under a light novel label. Later it moved to a normal novel label under the same publisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Twelve Kingdoms
Seirei no Moribito
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin

are my favorites in the light novel adaptation category. You do know that there are light novels that don't feature moe, right?
Quote:
Just for the record, there are actually novels (ie. published under a non-light novel label) with manga-style or cartoonish illustrations on cover. And there also exist light novels with hardly any illustrations inside the book just like novels under mainstream labels. Just saying.

Speaking of worst LN adaptation, nothing can beat Itsuten in my book. Well, if I search my memories hard enough, I might find something on par, but nothing quite as memorable perhaps.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 06:05   Link #25
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Best one I would say is Fate Zero. Worst is Hidan no Aria, though it's pretty good as "so bad its funny" type of comedy.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 09:46   Link #26
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Even as someone who didn't really enjoy the Hidan no Aria anime, I do know that Hidan no Aria was a rather faithful adaptation of the light novel series. That, however, speaks volumes about what the original story is all about.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 09:58   Link #27
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Best one I would say is Fate Zero. Worst is Hidan no Aria, though it's pretty good as "so bad its funny" type of comedy.
Saying it's a bad adaptation implies that the writers and director took a good story and ruined it. With HNA I'd say they did about as well as they could with what they had to work with.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 10:01   Link #28
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Hidan no Aria is a good LN adaptation by J.C.Staff and they did a great job about it.

However, I feel that Hidan no Aria was overshadowed by two perennial Kugimie titles like Shakugan no Shana and Zero no Tsukaima (not sure if Noboru Yamaguchi put some concept notes on the ending before he passed away).

By the way, I don't think Fate/Zero counts as a light novel in my opinion. Even though it serve as a prequel to Fate/Stay Night, it serve as an story expansion to the Visual Novel, which is the source for all related to the Nasuverse (Well, except for Kara no Kyoukai).
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 12:32   Link #29
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Saying it's a bad adaptation implies that the writers and director took a good story and ruined it. With HNA I'd say they did about as well as they could with what they had to work with.
I think the main problem on Han isn't being faithful or not to the novel it's the execution on the pacing of the series, it's really bad in my opinion... Compare it to other ln adaptation by jc staff I think it can be said that it belongs to the low tier class.
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2014-07-01, 16:28   Link #30
Darthtabby

Madhouse's adaptation of the novel Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku into the movie The Princess and the Pilot was really well done. Sure there were a lot of little details that got lost in the adaptation process but the story still works and even benefits from the movie's tight focus and pacing. I think I actually prefer the movie to the novel its based off of.

Although I'm unfamiliar with the source material I also think the adaptation of Coffin Princess Chaika was very well done. I've heard quite a bit got cut but the pacing is good and I generally don't feel like I'm missing things.

Fans have a tendency to judge adaptations by how true they are to the source material, but I think one of the most important tests of an adaptation is how well it can stand on its own. Ideally an adaptation should capture at least the spirit of the original work but I think newcomers can sometimes be a better judge of adaptations than fans of the source material. I think one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of the highly regarded Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid is that I read a fan translation of the novel it was based off of shortly before I watched it. By contrast I didn't read the novels the first season was based off of until well after I'd seen it and it remains one of my all time favorite series.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote