AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-12-21, 18:40   Link #1
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord

What role do you play in an FPS?

What role do you play in an FPS the most?

Are you usually the...

Charger, who rushes into fights recklessly and rips everyone apart?

Sniper, who takes everyone down at a distance?

Ducker, who uses a lot of cover and takes a few shots every so often?

Bunny, who jumps around dodging bullets and shooting people at the same time?

Human Shield, who gets in everyone's way and ends up getting pumped full of holes?

Grenadier, who likes to toss grenades at the beginning of every round?
Scala Caeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 19:19   Link #2
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Charger. My friends always complain because I never consider strategy. For some reason sneaking around/ambushing opponents never works out for me. It has sort of become customary for me to end up with both the most kills AND most deaths to cancel out my kills . I rarely use the weapons on the maps too. Another thing I get often criticized for. I usually just go with the starting weapon and mow people down. I'm not above rushing into crowds of 4 if I think that I can take even 1 of them out before they drop me. All-in-all, I'm not that great as a team player I guess .
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 19:28   Link #3
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Well, the last FPS I played for any significant amount of time was Unreal Tournament 2004 and that was all about speed so I guess I'd be either a reckless charger or a bunny hopper, though actual bunny hopping was never of much use in that game as it made your movement easy to predict.

In most military style FPS games I guess Ducker would be the optimal way to play. Your aim goes to hell while moving so more often than not you win by being the one who is standing (or ducking) still and firing at a moving target.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 20:04   Link #4
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7
It has sort of become customary for me to end up with both the most kills AND most deaths to cancel out my kills .
Love that! XD Same here! It pisses me off at the end of a round in which that happens, because it makes me look inexperienced.

Quote:
I rarely use the weapons on the maps too. Another thing I get often criticized for. I usually just go with the starting weapon and mow people down.
I'm slightly different; the rushing thing is sort of the same though. I run around, and if I happen to accidentally pick up a weapon and I autoswitch to that weapon, I'll use it. In UT it happens so many times when I'm running toward a single enemy, and suddenly I pick up a rocket launcher, and I have no choice but to blast the single opponent at close range. XD

Quote:
I'm not above rushing into crowds of 4 if I think that I can take even 1 of them out before they drop me. All-in-all, I'm not that great as a team player I guess .
I'd rather fire explosives at crowds than just dive into them. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
Well, the last FPS I played for any significant amount of time was Unreal Tournament 2004 and that was all about speed so I guess I'd be either a reckless charger or a bunny hopper, though actual bunny hopping was never of much use in that game as it made your movement easy to predict.
You're a UT 2004 player. Awesome, dude. I played the demo of it, it wasn't bad at all. I still prefer UT GOTY over the new ones, because it's a small file size on my hard drive, doesn't require a high framerate, and still manages to deliver solid FPS action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
In most military style FPS games I guess Ducker would be the optimal way to play. Your aim goes to hell while moving so more often than not you win by being the one who is standing (or ducking) still and firing at a moving target.
Right. Charger is no way to go in military FPSes, especially not America's Army, since it is so easy to bleed and die in that game. In military-style FPSes I'm usually the one providing covering fire.
Old 2007-12-21, 21:32   Link #5
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

It's been a while since I have played an FPS but I typically switch my role depending on the game.

In Halo 2 I was a charger, but was a ducker in BF1942/2142 since there's just so many ways you can get 1-shotted. I played sniper in Medal of Honor:Allied Assault, had this one spot on Omaha Beach and I'd rack up dozens of kills before anyone found me. And in UT2004 I was the worthless player who spent the whole match trying to pancake people with the manta.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 21:42   Link #6
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord

I LOVE the manta. It's so hilarious. XD But what annoys me is when you charge head-on at an enemy...and they step to the side...and you charge right past them...and then they effortlessly turn around...and squeeze off a round at the back of your head. X_x Players are getting more clever these days.
Old 2007-12-21, 21:48   Link #7
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I never really had that happen but I haven't played the game in 2 years. My main issue was either the scorpion 1-shotting me with that energy cable thing or getting hit with the AVRiL (still the best weapon name ever). I pretty much only played Onslaught mode because the rest of the game was just too hectic for me; I couldn't fight so well on foot except with the flak cannon and its ridiculous splash damage.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 21:51   Link #8
demonkd
prince of all demons

im a charger and a sniper...depends on if i get the sinper first :P
demonkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 21:57   Link #9
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I never really had that happen but I haven't played the game in 2 years. My main issue was either the scorpion 1-shotting me with that energy cable thing or getting hit with the AVRiL (still the best weapon name ever). I pretty much only played Onslaught mode because the rest of the game was just too hectic for me; I couldn't fight so well on foot except with the flak cannon and its ridiculous splash damage.
The flak cannon is also a wonderful close range weapon. If all the particles of an entire scattershot hits one enemy, it is an instant kill.

The AVRiL is one of the rocket launchers, right? Interesting name. XD
Old 2007-12-21, 22:03   Link #10
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

I believe I am a human shield... LOL... But it's been over 5 years since I last played CS though...
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-21, 22:19   Link #11
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala Caeli View Post
The flak cannon is also a wonderful close range weapon. If all the particles of an entire scattershot hits one enemy, it is an instant kill.

The AVRiL is one of the rocket launchers, right? Interesting name. XD
My friends hated me using the Flak-cannon, cause either they wouldn't be able to get any kills or or be the ones on the recieving end:P one of my fav weapons of all time.

well on CSS, it changes from map to map but generally there I like a good charge.
Halo is same depending on map and game thats played.

same with Grimkill, I too usually get the most kills and a equal amount of deaths

altho been tearing it up on CoD4 for the PS3 lately, only online shooter I'm able to play atm

p.s I hate meat shields, not only do they block ur shots & view but most likely get ya killed along with em
Old 2007-12-21, 23:06   Link #12
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord

In Halo, if a plasma grenade is attached to you, there's not much you can do besides running around being a meat shield. XD Try and get as close to the enemy as possible before exploding.
Old 2007-12-22, 00:50   Link #13
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
It will depend from game to game, but I tend to take the role of a Sniper whenever possible, because I'm usually fairly good at it. But it all depends, of course.

Especially in Crysis Power Struggle, the Sniper is vital for sharing information about enemy implacements, just like in Battlefield 2/2142 - Perhaps even more, because Crysis has a lot of more "hiding room" and backholes where people can sneak up through. I like that role, and so I usually stick myself at a high place full of hiding spots and with good visibility of the maps' main objectives. Depending on the map and your enemies, you might get a lot or no kills at all, because there's not much you can do if there're four VTOLs or Helis bombing the crap out of everything. What is pretty annoying is when you spend some good time trying to make money for a Gauss rifle + Sniper sight and when someone kills you before you can lay one hit to the enemy. So I usually stick to the cheaper and more easily-obtainable Precision Rifle.

When I'm not sniping I'm usually being a Ducker, which is more fitting for me who, rarely successful at lucking out and getting triple headshot kills ( I'm talking to you, Godlikes. ). I tend to be more cautious and use strategy before jumping in for a skill or an assault... but sure, there're times when you can't do that and need to rush in and shot at everything that moves. I also enjoy setting up explosives everywhere I can, like Mines, C4 ( usually inside buildings like the Prototype Factory and Bunkers, which are some of the most important objectives in PS ) and Claymores. It is so fun to see some dude rushing into a building and the next thing you hear is BOOM and his corpse flying through the door he just came in from. I have videos .

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 02:40   Link #14
Jays

In Team Fortress 2 it's always a toss up for myself.

I find that if there aren't enough Medics, or if the ones that are around are horrible, I just switch with them and become a med myself. I find that a good med is indispensable.

If there are wayy to many sentries or if the enemy appears to be clustering their efforts in one area then I'll go demo, which is probably my best class aside of the Engineer. Vice versa applies, if I can find a spot where I find that a sentrie can do considerable amount of damage, or there just appears to be a need for them then I go.

Pyro and Heavy are my two other picks. A pyro is good at flushing the enemie out, and if the opposing team is stupid enough, a Heavy could mow down everything in sight.

In essence, I enjoy more of a support role, because I'd rather do the little things right, rather than have someone else do them wrong. That being said I can switch it up if needed.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 09:55   Link #15
arcadeplayer987

I like to play as assault, it's too boring for me to stay on the back with the sniper and wait for the enemy to came to me.
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 11:21   Link #16
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
When I'm not sniping I'm usually being a Ducker, which is more fitting for me who, rarely successful at lucking out and getting triple headshot kills ( I'm talking to you, Godlikes. ). I tend to be more cautious and use strategy before jumping in for a skill or an assault...
I'm the same on default, but I end up getting shot somehow anyway. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
I also enjoy setting up explosives everywhere I can, like Mines, C4 ( usually inside buildings like the Prototype Factory and Bunkers, which are some of the most important objectives in PS ) and Claymores. It is so fun to see some dude rushing into a building and the next thing you hear is BOOM and his corpse flying through the door he just came in from. I have videos .
Show me your best vids. I love stuff like that. XD
Old 2007-12-22, 11:44   Link #17
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I only play a couple of FPS style (exteel, Fear) games and I prefer to use heavy weapons (rockets/cannons) and be the healer. Allows me to jack up my mech with heavy armor as well because I don't have to worry about mobility. Particularly in territory control/capture the flag type scenarios. Weapons that soften them up from a distance and then they can go in and melee and come back to heal.

I hate bunny hoppers. When is that a viable survival technique in real combat.
Fear I only play in Deathmatch mode with 15 or so other guys who also hate bunny hoppers. Ok to jump a couple of times but to use it instead of taking cover is BS. If you can't outwit and out maneuver your enemy and think its a good idea to jump around out in the open all the 14-15 guys run out and concentrate fire on you. All the noobs that try to join our game instantly get taught a lesson.

I remember when we Goldeneye for n64 first came out, I think we banned the use of jaws because it's an auto headshot.

I like playing battlefield2142 but FFS that CSS and Unreal servers have some of the most aggravating keyboard warriors around.

TF2 is my next buy
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-12-22 at 12:02.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 12:05   Link #18
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
The only FPS I played to a great extent was BF1942, and since I usually preferred a thick chunk of metal between my body and the enemy bullets (read: vehicles ) I usually played as an engineer. I used to charge with heavy tanks (I loved the Tiger II), and when I had taken enough of a beating, I retreated, repaired the tank, and jumped straight back to the battlefield... so I guess that would make me a "charger" of sorts.

Oh, and I loved planes, too, but the only one I was particularly good with was the Japanese fighter (Zero, I think it was called). I remember I loved to machine-gun my friends from the skies when they were walking around helplessly through the field.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 12:12   Link #19
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I also hate on online fps just because you're not an idiot and don't wander around like an idiot in the open and you repeatedly pick them off with headshots you're instantly a hacker. (I've been banned from about a dozen css servers)
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 12:49   Link #20
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'm definitely a charger.

On CS I use shotguns, SMGs and MGs, taking down as many as I can before I die.

On Jedi Knight/Academy, I believe in the force.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote