AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-11-13, 13:25   Link #2101
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiemma View Post
Lost Xmas isnt before 10 years
I think it's been mentioned multiple times during the season so far that the Lost Christmas was a riot that happened after the outbreak of the Apocalypse Virus. It's why the GHQ came into the country...
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 13:34   Link #2102
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Gai's definitely not the nicest guy in town, but he's not a monster either. He's simply got a "the end justifies the means" mindset. If by breaking a teenager's heart (what a tragedy!), he can saves hundreds of people, he'll do it. Lots of anti-heroes have done a lot worse than that.
Gai is stupid. Shu can literally destroy that base without using the pen. He would the last person that I would want to make an enemy. What Gai is banking on is that Shu is such a "nice guy" and still has feelings for Inori that he won't think of pulverizing Gai into tomato paste and delivering him in a jar to GHQ.

Inori is Gai's shield against Shu. In a way Gai and GHQ are using similar tactics. Shu took the pen because GHQ threatened to go after Inori.
Old 2011-11-13, 13:41   Link #2103
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
He didn't tell Shu anything, showing some attrocites doesn't mean much when you release a mass murderer and don't explain it at all. At this point in time He couldn't be bothered explaining crap to Shu and went almost entirely on screwing him over. Also this was his initial plan the girl started saying that crap from the begining.

And I'm sorry using some girl to manipulate the kid and break the dudes heart does make you a heartless monster, it's one of the most awful things you could do outside of screwing over, friends and family members. This isn't a tough but needed or an extremely difficult situation that required a tough response. This was vindictive and psychopathic.
Actions speak louder than words. Gai showed him the good he could accomplish with Funeral Parlor, and it wasn't enough to make him join. The thing with Kenji is irrelevant, it happened long after Shu had refused to join, and at this point, you are right, Gai couldn't be bothered to justify himself to a boy who chose to escape reality rather than fight to save his country. The fact nobody in FP, including the sweet Ayase, seems to have a problem with releasing Kenji is enough to tell he had good reasons for doing so. Most likely, Kenji isn't the mass murderer GHQ claims he is.

Oh, come on. Shu barely even know Inori. It's a just a teenager's crush, he'll get over it. Shu needs to grow up, and this experience will help him do exactly that. This might be precisely what Gai is trying to accomplish. I have this idea he intends to have Shu succeed him after he's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Gai is stupid. Shu can literally destroy that base without using the pen. He would the last person that I would want to make an enemy. What Gai is banking on is that Shu is such a "nice guy" and still has feelings for Inori that he won't think of pulverizing Gai into tomato paste and delivering him in a jar to GHQ.

Inori is Gai's shield against Shu. In a way Gai and GHQ are using similar tactics. Shu took the pen because GHQ threatened to go after Inori.
That depends if it was part of his plan or not. I'm not sure he intended to have Inori tell Shu the truth so soon. If I were him, I would have waited until I was sure Shu had embraced the cause, and not just the girl. I think Inori acted of her own accord (crazy, I know!). She was so outraged by Shu's proposition she broke everything out to him so that he'd never say something like that again.

Last edited by Kanon; 2011-11-13 at 13:52.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 13:49   Link #2104
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Actions speak louder than words. Gai showed him the good he could accomplish with Funeral Parlor, and it wasn't enough to make him join. The thing with Kenji is irrelevant, it happened long after Shu had refused to join, and at this point, you are right, Gai couldn't be bothered to justify himself to a boy who chose to escape reality rather than fight to save his country. The fact nobody in FP, including the sweet Ayase, seems to have a problem with releasing Kenji is enough to tell he had good reasons for doing so. Most likely, Kenji isn't the mass murderer GHQ claims he is.

Oh, come on. Shu barely even know Inori. It's a just a teenager's crush, he'll get over it. Shu needs to grow up, and this experience will help him do exactly that. This might be precisely what Gai is trying to accomplish. I have this idea he intends to have Shu succeed him after he's gone.
Yeah that makes sense can't be bothered explaining that he's saving the country when he hasn't shown anything to display that's he's any better than the government he's opposing. With manipulation being his go to tactic with no forseeable empathy whatsoever. Just because the government is bad doesn't mean the replacements are any better. History has shown us this again, and again and agin.

Shu would be a moron for following this dude, it literally makes no sense what so ever for him to want to follow him. Why would you risk your life for something you know nothing about and for someone who doesn't give a shit about you and just wants to use you.

It was a freaking terrible plan and he's an awful leader. Shu was tempted to betray him anyway precisely because guy told him shit and made no effort to explain himself. He clearly didn't consider the possibility of Shu wanting to leave with the girl, and the dude was eventually going to find out and what did he think was going to happen then.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 14:11   Link #2105
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^Yeah, on one side, we have people who kill women and children for kicks, and on the other people who try to free them. Hard to tell who's the better side.
Old 2011-11-13, 14:11   Link #2106
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:

Adding along the whole mess that occurred in episode 5, with Inori simply following Gai's orders and Shu seeing her enter Gai's room. Increases the possibility of his betrayal and Inori will not be so much as a shield anymore. This episode explains the scenes in the opening so much for me that it's practically spoiling this anime. It's kinda bad that they encourage and encourage Shu's betrayal with many disheartening things happening to him, setting him into selfish mode of how great Gai is to Funeral Parlor.

But then we have the Funeral Parlor members acting friendly to him to atleast bring some hope for him to not press it (hence his struggle to take it back when offered). But we will probably have Gai aggravate Shu more to the point that he will actually use the pen.
Old 2011-11-13, 14:14   Link #2107
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A few points I want to make on Gai.

The anime strongly suggests that Gai is racing against the clock. His plans typically have a sense of hurried desperation to them, as though time is truly of the essence. So I'm inclined to think that Gai is dying, and he knows that he has a small window of opportunity within which to accomplish his chief goals before he passes on.

Supposing that the reasons and motivations pushing him and Funeral Parlor forward are intricate and complex, it may simply be the case that Gai literally just doesn't have the time to go over them in detail with Shu. So he's going for quick and dirty emotional/moral appeals (have Shu witness GHQ commit an atrocity, later appealing to Shu through the gorgeous Inori).

Another possibility is that Gai is hiding something; something that he suspects, if not knows, would cost him any chance of gaining Shu's support if Shu was to discover whatever it is. So he's telling Shu as little as possible since that's actually more likely to gain him Shu's support than the alternative.

So, either way, I think there is a method to Gai's madness.
Old 2011-11-13, 14:22   Link #2108
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Well he was laying in a bed with Inori on the side. So that would indicate a future death, also the rushing of operations even though Funeral Parlor is fatigued from previous battles is one indication. Lets even make Gai part of Shu's past where they used to be best friends. It seems Inori is a replica in Gai's mind about a girl in the past, so it could possibly be the girl in episode 1 during Shu's past memories.

But yeah, this anime is just screaming "Shu will betray Gai!" before Gai can fully explain things and gain Shu's full support. It will probably resort in a dramatic scene after Shu betrays maybe?
Old 2011-11-13, 14:40   Link #2109
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Well he was laying in a bed with Inori on the side. So that would indicate a future death, also the rushing of operations even though Funeral Parlor is fatigued from previous battles is one indication.
Nah, that's just the way you receive a blood transfusion. Laying down.

The rush could also be that GHQ is plotting something or getting close to finding them. We don't know how long Kenji was held. It could be that he was sprung only to do a particular task and not because he was held captive.
Old 2011-11-13, 14:58   Link #2110
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
Here you go:
Who the hell is that in the preview image for the video?

She (?) just became my favorite character.
Old 2011-11-13, 15:07   Link #2111
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

So you posted it, huh? I have to say, GC can do previews well, although what the hell was Shu saying? And I'm sorry, but I still can't get over Inori's outfit. There are street hookers who dress classier than that. If you don't give a proper explanation for it, no one is going to take that costume seriously. Even Robin from Batman had an explanation for why he dresses like a bullseye.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:08   Link #2112
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
^Yeah, on one side, we have people who kill women and children for kicks, and on the other people who try to free them. Hard to tell who's the better side.
Then we have people who free known mass murders who even the people in his organisation don't seem to like, yeah..... And said guy was manipulating you and would go to great lengths in order to do and doesn't give two shits about you. From what we've seen guy really isn't all that much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
A few points I want to make on Gai.

The anime strongly suggests that Gai is racing against the clock. His plans typically have a sense of hurried desperation to them, as though time is truly of the essence. So I'm inclined to think that Gai is dying, and he knows that he has a small window of opportunity within which to accomplish his chief goals before he passes on.

Supposing that the reasons and motivations pushing him and Funeral Parlor forward are intricate and complex, it may simply be the case that Gai literally just doesn't have the time to go over them in detail with Shu. So he's going for quick and dirty emotional/moral appeals (have Shu witness GHQ commit an atrocity, later appealing to Shu through the gorgeous Inori).

Another possibility is that Gai is hiding something; something that he suspects, if not knows, would cost him any chance of gaining Shu's support if Shu was to discover whatever it is. So he's telling Shu as little as possible since that's actually more likely to gain him Shu's support than the alternative.

So, either way, I think there is a method to Gai's madness.
Then precisely what is his overall plan in this? He saves the world and puts in some sort infastructure with his small rag tag group all before he dies? It's far more likely his plan involves some sort of revenge for someone wronging him and wants to remove the current government because of that. Regsrdless how you look at it it's a douchebaggery thing to do that could have very easily messed up his entire "plan". Dying isn't much of an excuse if your actions could lead to the deaths of hundreds because of your ill thought out plan.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:30   Link #2113
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
So you posted it, huh?
You're not making sense.

Quote:
I have to say, GC can do previews well, although what the hell was Shu saying?
Blabbering about the satalite no doubt, then whining about how he needs to be a bad ass hero and save the day ...probably.

Quote:
And I'm sorry, but I still can't get over Inori's outfit. There are street hookers who dress classier than that. If you don't give a proper explanation for it, no one is going to take that costume seriously. Even Robin from Batman had an explanation for why he dresses like a bullseye.
What? You want me to explain it? Well, okey then, I figured it was obvious. It's the newest in military equipment: TW-0 S.E.X. suit, equipped with sophisticated optical jamming on the chest area (codename No-BRA), cloaking field on the dress, and italian P.L.U.M.B.E.R Mk-2 jumping gear. The suit is designed with urban warfare and sports the latest fashion in camouflage colors. Everything a girl needs.
Old 2011-11-13, 15:40   Link #2114
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Quote:
Nah, that's just the way you receive a blood transfusion. Laying down.

The rush could also be that GHQ is plotting something or getting close to finding them. We don't know how long Kenji was held. It could be that he was sprung only to do a particular task and not because he was held captive.
Maybe Gai knows about that huge Death Cannon GHQ has, that could be why he's rushing. Since they managed to hit the location Gai was in, maybe he already anticipated that they were going to hit that location, which is a sign that GHQ is getting closer. Can't blame him for rushing if thats the case.
DXMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:59   Link #2115
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that's just the serial killer they rescued in episode 04. Also several amusing things about that preview include:

- Shu running face first into Gai's spastic fist flailing
- Gai running face first into a big duds spastic fist flailing
- Tsugumi bending and making all sorts of cutesy poses (basically her entire character so far)
- Daryl Yan wigging out with eyes bulging massively.
- Inori being shown from a low angle full body shot (naturally) dual wielding pistols gansta style.

This show literally just cannot have a female character on screen without having her in some sort of vaguely sexual pose that highlights all their curves and exposed areas and it's kind of amusing. It's like the sleaziest easiest fanservice that you don't even have to ask for and as I said it's like the majority of the female characters development so far 6 episodes in. It's like:

Audience: "Hey what can you tell us about Tsugumi, Ayase and Inori?"
Yoshino: "Well Inori's the one that wears the red dress that exposes all her cleavage and is of average to skinny build, Tsugumi's the one that wears the ultra skintight body suit and we chose to focus on her butt as the point of interest , and Ayase is the one in the wheel chair and has the largest bust size"
Audience:
Yoshino: "What?"
Audience:
Yoshino: "Errrr here's Shu's mom, isn't she hawt? We wanted to go with the whole MILF look for her characters appeal so we decided to give her the youthful Bishoujo look!"
Audience:
Yoshino: ".....Class President? She's got glasses "
Audience:

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-11-13 at 16:09.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 16:12   Link #2116
JediNight
キズランダム

I don't mind the fanservice so far. This is being directed like you would a blockbuster Hollywood movie. Higher budget, lots of explosions, lots of motions merely for the artistic style, etc.

I wouldn't overthink it and just go along for the ride. They are at least doing the fanservice in a somewhat "eye wink to the 4th wall" manner -- as there are no up-the-skirt angles or gratuitous boob jiggling going on.
Old 2011-11-13, 16:21   Link #2117
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
You're not making sense.
I was going to upload the preview to Youtube and post it myself, but I backed out because I didn't want to get in trouble with Funimation.

Quote:
What? You want me to explain it? Well, okey then, I figured it was obvious. It's the newest in military equipment: TW-0 S.E.X. suit, equipped with sophisticated optical jamming on the chest area (codename No-BRA), cloaking field on the dress, and italian P.L.U.M.B.E.R Mk-2 jumping gear. The suit is designed with urban warfare and sports the latest fashion in camouflage colors. Everything a girl needs.
Hahahahahaha. That at least would be a more believable excuse than the non-existent one in the anime.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 16:49   Link #2118
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I don't mind the fanservice so far. This is being directed like you would a blockbuster Hollywood movie. Higher budget, lots of explosions, lots of motions merely for the artistic style, etc.

I wouldn't overthink it and just go along for the ride. They are at least doing the fanservice in a somewhat "eye wink to the 4th wall" manner -- as there are no up-the-skirt angles or gratuitous boob jiggling going on.
When Inori was captured in the first episode and the one guard whacked her in the face with his rifle her boobs jiggled. Also Tsugumi's ass jiggled in the second episode when she was in that weird terminal directing parts of the battle. There have been no up-skirts since nobody actually seems to wear a skirt in this show, but maybe once class prez gets more screen time there may be some opportunities for that.

Also I completely am along for the ride and not over thinking it all, the shows just makes it extremely easy to poke fun at it the very loose and flimsy way that Hiroyuki Yoshino is handling the script so far. I almost have to wonder if it's on purpose for some reason.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 16:49   Link #2119
JediNight
キズランダム

Funimation has it on their page as well? All I saw there was the episode. I ended up going to the JP official site to watch the preview.

Also: I said gratuitous shots. I don't consider those gratuitous. She got smacked across the face with a gun -- that lateral force WOULD cause them to jiggle.
I took out a delivery at work yesterday, and when the lady came downstairs to answer the door her entire chest bounced up and down a good 9 inches on each step. Boobs have mass and are only loosely attached to the body -- they're gonna move around. Watch women sometime and see. Preferably with sunglasses. I'm not responsible for you being slapped: )
Old 2011-11-13, 17:53   Link #2120
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm pretty sure that's just the serial killer they rescued in episode 04. Also several amusing things about that preview include:

- Shu running face first into Gai's spastic fist flailing
- Gai running face first into a big duds spastic fist flailing
- Tsugumi bending and making all sorts of cutesy poses (basically her entire character so far)
- Daryl Yan wigging out with eyes bulging massively.
- Inori being shown from a low angle full body shot (naturally) dual wielding pistols gansta style.

This show literally just cannot have a female character on screen without having her in some sort of vaguely sexual pose that highlights all their curves and exposed areas and it's kind of amusing. It's like the sleaziest easiest fanservice that you don't even have to ask for and as I said it's like the majority of the female characters development so far 6 episodes in.
Yes, I know what you mean, and I'll admit that I myself find it a bit amusing (as well as those preview shots you referred to, lol).

But honestly, I kind of like this new approach to fanservice, in that it's simply there. Like, there's no "boing" sounds, there's usually no character pointing it out for us as though the audience can't notice it without verbal aids, there's no jiggling to an unrealistic degree, and when certain body parts are focused on it's usually because they're relevant to the scene and/or help to capture a certain atmospheric mood.

I actually kind of like this fanservice. It is, as you say, "easy". And perhaps for that reason, it seems a bit more seamless to me.

Remember how you once took note of lengthy shots of girls' legs in Madoka Magica? Well, it's kind of like that to me, only more elaborate and varied of course. An easy sort of fanservice that works because it's not loud and obnoxious.

Also, I'd argue that Ayase is the most well-developed protagonist thus far, and it's neck-and-neck between her and Major Segai for the most well-developed character thus far. So hey, at least Guilty Crown's writers aren't entirely relying on sex appeal to sell their female characters.

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig