Notices

Old 2008-11-21, 12:48   Link #81
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNhite View Post
Oh! You mean you want to think up new attacks for Luffy! I thought you only wanted Haki-related stuff!

Well, in that case, and I'll actually use Haki in this situation, maybe Luffy could find a way to make himself "super-elastic" so that blunt attacks literally bounce back at enemies...

"Gomu Gomu no... Wabolfet!"
HAHAHA!
Thing about that is, his Haki seems to have no real combat capabilities. He could change this, ofcourse, but as of right now, it doesn't seem that way.
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 12:54   Link #82
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtseisRagnarok View Post
Thing about that is, his Haki seems to have no real combat capabilities. He could change this, ofcourse, but as of right now, it doesn't seem that way.
Boa has combat Haki abilities, it seems that combat Haki is actually rather simple in comparison to their "King's Disposition."
If Luffy can access that level of Haki, he's certain to be able to augment his attacks with it, he just has to learn how to focus... god help us all.

"It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

"Your playing small does not serve the world, there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

"We were all meant to shine as children do.

"It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone.

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.

"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-21, 12:55   Link #83
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Boa has combat Haki abilities, it seems that combat Haki is actually rather simple in comparison to their "King's Disposition."
If Luffy can access that level of Haki, he's certain to be able to augment his attacks with it, he just has to learn how to focus... god help us all.
Yep, well, he hasn't used it offensively yet, but I assume that's because he has yet to learn how to...
It's supposedly a legendary form of Haki, or something, correct?
Old 2008-11-21, 13:01   Link #84
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
Yep, well, he hasn't used it offensively yet, but I assume that's because he has yet to learn how to...
It's supposedly a legendary form of Haki, or something, correct?
Apparently, but as Don Krieg put it best during the Baratie Arc, "Those with the Devil Fruit power may be legendary to us, but I assure you they are common place on the Grand Line."

Just as that statement was true, I'm sure Haki, though legendary here, will become common-place in the New World...

"Your playing small does not serve the world, there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.

"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
Old 2008-11-21, 13:02   Link #85
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Apparently, but as Don Krieg put it best during the Baratie Arc, "Those with the Devil Fruit power may be legendary to us, but I assure you they are common place on the Grand Line."

Just as that statement was true, I'm sure Haki, though legendary here, will become common-place in the New World...
Not Haki as a whole, but Luffy's in specific. Wasn't the King's disposition a big deal? As sch, wouldn't he be able to do amazing things once he learned how to use it?
Old 2008-11-21, 13:07   Link #86
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Not Haki as a whole, but Luffy's in specific. Wasn't the King's disposition a big deal? As sch, wouldn't he be able to do amazing things once he learned how to use it?
Luffy and Boa have the same type of Haki, she even says it.
Judging by the shown effect, we can safely suppose, for now, that Shanks, WhiteBeard, and Rayleighn all have the same kind of Haki as their's has similar effect on people.
That's what I mean by the rare becoming the common.

That being said, sure Luffy could some amazing things with his Haki.
Shanks and WhiteBeard came to a head that slit the heavens and Rayleighn was able to cut a man made of light.

Old 2008-11-21, 13:09   Link #87
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Luffy and Boa have the same type of Haki, she even says it.
Judging by the shown effect, we can safely suppose, for now, that Shanks, WhiteBeard, and Rayleighn all have the same kind of Haki as their's has similar effect on people.
That's what I mean by the rare becoming the common.

That being said, sure Luffy could some amazing things with his Haki.
Shanks and WhiteBeard came to a head that slit the heavens and Rayleighn was able to cut a man made of light.
True enough, but if haki becomes commonplace, then what would the new power be?
Old 2008-11-21, 13:10   Link #88
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
True enough, but if haki becomes commonplace, then what would the new power be?
One Piece.

Old 2008-11-21, 13:11   Link #89
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
One Piece.
No, if anything, man-made powers would become the latest thing. Stuff like Pluton and such. I really hope none of that would be in One Piece.
Old 2008-11-21, 13:14   Link #90
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
No, if anything, man-made powers would become the latest thing. Stuff like Pluton and such. I really hope none of that would be in One Piece.
Whatever One Piece is, a person like WhiteBeard wants his hands on it (or at least Ace believes he wants to be Pirate King) so it'd be resonable to think it may be some form of power.

The man-made power thing is already coming to fruition...

Spoiler for Future Weapons:

Old 2008-11-21, 13:18   Link #91
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Whatever One Piece is, a person like WhiteBeard wants his hands on it (or at least Ace believes he wants to be Pirate King) so it'd be resonable to think it may be some form of power.

The man-made power thing is already coming to fruition...

Spoiler for Future Weapons:
True, but weren't they only copies of a human with powers of his own? Regardless of improvements, I'd hardly consider that anything new. I was thinking things more along the lines of Franky and Kuma himself.
Old 2008-11-21, 13:21   Link #92
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
True, but weren't they only copies of a human with powers of his own? Regardless of improvements, I'd hardly consider that anything new. I was thinking things more along the lines of Franky and Kuma himself.
No, Pacifista are essentially Sentinels, they are androids/cyborgs/whatever that are designed to hunt down and terminate pirates. Each one apparently costs as much as a battleship and if a figure like Vegapunk helped build them... well, think of it in terms of Einstein and the Manhattan Project, the dawning of the new age.

Very soon... the World Government will no... longer need... Marines!?
Oh damn, that just hit me! This will not turn out good, not good at all...

Old 2008-11-30, 23:29   Link #93
Mark15
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Mark15
Quote:
No, Pacifista are essentially Sentinels, they are androids/cyborgs/whatever that are designed to hunt down and terminate pirates. Each one apparently costs as much as a battleship and if a figure like Vegapunk helped build them... well, think of it in terms of Einstein and the Manhattan Project, the dawning of the new age.

Very soon... the World Government will no... longer need... Marines!?
Oh damn, that just hit me! This will not turn out good, not good at all...
I hope so....

Last edited by Mark15; 2008-11-30 at 23:31. Reason: FUCK YOU
Mark15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 03:28   Link #94
Keeper

It's been kind of bothering me lately, but aren't devil fruit users like Luffy kind of weak compared to the real monsters like Zoro, Sanji, Mihawk and Shanks? Those guys are strong enough to fight devil fruit users with their own strength alone.

Without his rubber fruit, would Luffy be anywhere near Zoro or Sanji in terms of combat prowess? I wonder if he'd be strong enough to be on the SH crew without his rubber, or any other devil fruit let alone be their captain.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 03:34   Link #95
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
It's been kind of bothering me lately, but aren't devil fruit users like Luffy kind of weak compared to the real monsters like Zoro, Sanji, Mihawk and Shanks? Those guys are strong enough to fight devil fruit users with their own strength alone.

Without his rubber fruit, would Luffy be anywhere near Zoro or Sanji in terms of combat prowess? I wonder if he'd be strong enough to be on the SH crew without his rubber, or any other devil fruit let alone be their captain.
If anything, Luffy without his powers would become like his gramps, Garp.

Luffy's super human strength comes from his incredibly tough training since childhood by Garp. If anything, the rubber fruit made things easier for him. He managed to graduate from Garp's training with his super human physique and his ability. Meaning if he had no ability, he would be trained even harder to reach that stanard where Garp would 'graduate' him with, he would be trained up to a level where he is as powerful without the rubber ability as he is powerful with it.

So if Luffy doesn't have his rubber abilities, he would be like Coby, doing Soru, have super human strength like Garp and such.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-01, 03:42   Link #96
Keeper

I wonder if Luffy is physically cabable to become like his gramps. Even after all that training he did, he still has the physique of untrained teenager. Then again, I wonder if that is a side-effect of the rubber fruit.

Hopefully we'll see Luffy in a serious fight while being unable to use his devil fruit powers. That would answer to the question.
Old 2008-12-01, 04:04   Link #97
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I wonder if Luffy is physically cabable to become like his gramps. Even after all that training he did, he still has the physique of untrained teenager. Then again, I wonder if that is a side-effect of the rubber fruit.

Hopefully we'll see Luffy in a serious fight while being unable to use his devil fruit powers. That would answer to the question.
Physique of untrained teenager? He has all his muscles in place, have you seen the Gold medal Chinese male gymnasts?

Being strong doesn't mean huge muscles all over your body. But having huge muscles all over your body means you are less flexible and Luffy is the most flexible of all humans in One Piece.

Luffy broke down 2 buildings by pushing outwards, Zoro couldn't even break down a chimney with walls of 1 brick thickness by pushing outwards.

He took down Bellamy in one punch, that was a fight without using his abilities.

Luffy has all the physical powers and will continue to increase to be like Garp.

Old 2008-12-01, 04:52   Link #98
Keeper

You have very good points.

However, being rubber isn't in Luffy's case limited to stretching, we have already seen that he takes far less damage from blunt attacks than others would have. This rubber durability more than likely also gives him an edge in raw strength.

For example, when Bellamy attacked Luffy and Luffy punched him out cold. Without his rubber body, who knows what the outcome of that punch would have been. Could Zoro have done it? Would the punch have shattered Luffy's bones in his hand without his rubber fruit?

But then again, if Zoro can hold his third sword with his teeth and use it to cut even steel. This is pretty moot subject of discussion.
Old 2008-12-01, 04:58   Link #99
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

There are no such thing as bones in One Piece lol

If a normal person were to kick cannonballs like Sanji, he would suffer from fractured toes, ankle and then shattered kneecaps lol

Luffy's Rubber abilities, does give him alot of advantage, but they're further supported by his own super human physique and willpower. He can absorb damage with his body, but not all humans can continue getting beaten up again and again.

And his super strength also contributes to the way he attacks with his rubber abilities. Can you throw your limb half a mile away? And remember even if you can stretch, when you're throwing that limb, its continuously being stretched back towards your body, meaning Luffy really has alot of of strength to throw that fist plus the giant orb of gold.

Old 2008-12-01, 05:04   Link #100
Keeper

Okay, I admit my defeat.