AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-28, 02:51   Link #21
T-6000

Since we're on the topic of gaming Nostalgia, remember in mid to late late 90s when many games would start using CD music tracks from the CD itself instead of Midi Music (or any other Music format) from directly inside the game data? I've noticed that this wasn't only on the PC, but also on the PS1 (and other early CD based consoles). Then as we entered the 2000s developers stopped doing this. Playing music from the CD when I would play games at the time was a bit....strange for me. I can't explain it any other way, as back then I would either opt to use in game Midi music (which a few games would allow you to switch between CD music or in game Midi files, such as Descent 2 and Blood) or turn it off completely.

Well, that's enough of my rambling on Nostalgia for tonight.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 02:57   Link #22
majestix1988

i want to play Life Force(Salamander) /galaga and epic battle cityO_o
Old 2013-05-28, 09:18   Link #23
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Heh, in a couple of weeks I'll be 32. Looking back at when I first became a PC Gamer (back at 1995) and seeing where I am now sure puts things in perspective. And it makes me feel......old. Ever since I was 10 I started playing video games (my first video game was an SNES) but I think my true calling has always been the PC.

I remember my first PC game was the first Descent. Back at 1995, mom had gotten an IBM aptiva (Pentium 100, 8 Megabytes of memory, and 1 gig harddrive) that came with some game demos. Most didn't interest me, except for one and that was the demo for Descent. My brother and I went through that demo alone for months before we begged our parents to order the game as a Christmas gift. A pity that the game was so much in demand that Interplay actually ran out of stock and had to back order the damn thing. So we ended up getting our copy in the middle of January 1996. The following year we had heard of Descent 2 (or rather saw TV ads of the game) and we had our parents get that for Christmas. Ironically, we were so infatuated with the Descent series that we practially overlooked other game franchises such as the Doom series, Heretic, both Hexen games, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, and Shadow Warrior. We played through those other games around 1998 but our first (and most nostalgic) franchise was the Descent games. Or rather, the first 2.

Descent 3 never grabbed be. The story was uninteresting, the level designs were bland, and the game overall had more of a goofy feeling than a dark and serious feel to it. The missile that generated a temporary black hole was sure awesome, though! All in all, I wouldn't really mind seeing another Descent game but unfortunately the Descent IP sort of....well.....noone knows who really owns the Descent IP. And it also doesn't seem like anyone is interested in doing anything with the IP.

Last year someone was working on a UDK project that would be a remake of the original Descent. But I haven't heard anything about it lately.
If you like 90's shooter you could also try "the wheel of time", "requiem: avenging angel" and maybe "sin". They are not easy to find though, but at least for me, it was worth it
Edit: and for some doom era stuff, strife and system shock are worth mentioning. They have more rpg in them than most shooters, so they're not for the casual gamer...
bigdeal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 10:41   Link #24
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

gog.com has some classic PC games on their site.
Old 2013-05-28, 11:13   Link #25
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

my first two games i've played were Super Mario and Duck Hunt from the Nintendo system
when i was about 4-5 years old. i played them at a friend house back in Vietnam when i was
still living there. i love both games and they were REALLY fun back then.

i grew up with the Genesis age. that was when i actually first gotten my first system thanks to
my parents loving me and buying me that system. my first Genesis game was Sonic the Hedgehog.
love that game as well. but the games that really gives me a nostagia feeling were those Shining in the Darkness
and Shining Force games from that system; both titles were awesome and i played through them multiple times.

i also love Final Fantasy 2 (IV) and 3 (VI) on the Super Nintendo. man, there are just
SO many titles on the Super Nintendo that were awesome. i was lucky that my cousins
have TONS of Super Nintendo games. i just burrow/leech from them often and play as much as i like. ^_____^;
Old 2013-05-28, 11:34   Link #26
Eragon
Still Alive

Anyone remember Claw. That was the first game I played on my now ancient PC and still holds a very special place. Its story was just too good at time for me. The game-play was pretty damn good too. 2-D games more-often than not require good timing when making moves and I loved the fact the fact that you had to be almost pitch perfect in your timing your jump or running through obstacles. I remember celebrating like I had won the world cup when I beat the Boss at Level-6 I think - He was such a prick to deal with.

Other games that come to mind are Recoil, Rollcage and oh, Prince of Persia 3-D. Rollcage is still my favorite racing game - I admit I'm not that interested in that genre but, I'll play Rollcage anytime of the day.The crazy shit you can do in that is too good to pass up. Recoil was...I don't know, weird? Definitely wasn't used to playing as a tank(literally) Prince of Persia 3-D might be my favorite (PoP Sands of Time is good too) PoP game ever. It was my first, first person 3-D game. And some of the puzzles were seriously good. Unfortunately - or fortunately - I have grown tired of that franchise. They made one too many games.
Old 2013-05-28, 13:24   Link #27
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
You ever played Atari's pacman?
It was such a disappointment. Nothing like the Namco arcade game. If you wanted a Pacman game for the Atari, Ms Pacman was the game of choice, but that didn't come out until later. I never had an Atari anyway (I had a Philipps Videopac; I doubt many people even know about that system - what I would have liked [but it was too expensive] was a ColecoVision). Oh, those days... [I'm 41.]
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 17:04   Link #28
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
If you like 90's shooter you could also try "the wheel of time", "requiem: avenging angel" and maybe "sin". They are not easy to find though, but at least for me, it was worth it
Yikes, now those are 3 games I haven't heard of again in years! I guess I really am getting old. Back at the day, I actually tried out these 3 games but they never really grabbed my interest.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 05:22   Link #29
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Battle City
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 08:47   Link #30
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Yikes, now those are 3 games I haven't heard of again in years! I guess I really am getting old. Back at the day, I actually tried out these 3 games but they never really grabbed my interest.
Well, thay have their faults. Not exaclty classics of the genre...
I started gaming around 2000. Our school had some really old PCs (some were running Norton Commander) because, well, lack of funds. We had Mario, Jazz Jackrabbit, Disney's Hercules, Golden Axe and some others. They also had Duke 3D which caught my interest at the time. I got into it, and when I finally got a PC at home too (2005), I got Quake and Carmageddon. Yes, I was really behind times, but that helped me become interested in older games, unlike other people that started playing around the same time on high tech PCs (well, high tech for that time). Man, I played quake and carmageddon like possessed. Quake was what settled FPS as my favourite genre, and then I started researching, getting all sort of old games...
Old 2013-06-07, 09:29   Link #31
bigdeal000
malefic

Why is this thread dead? I know what I posted is not nostalgic as in 80's games, but it didn't have to kill the damn thread...
Old 2013-06-07, 09:37   Link #32
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

No idea. As for my post, I guess I went too nostalgic.

Endless "In my day.." Soul
Old 2013-06-08, 14:47   Link #33
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Why is this thread dead? I know what I posted is not nostalgic as in 80's games, but it didn't have to kill the damn thread...
It's dead because for the most part people are just writing posts as if they're writing in a journal, instead of actually talking with one another.

This would be a fantastic thread to talk about emulation. It isn't against the forum rules as long as we don't discuss where to download ROMs or things like that. Emulation is a really nice way to re-experience all of those old games, and even some of the games that you saw and wanted as a child but were never able to play. Some emulators even try to re-create the scan lines and "bubble distortion" of older televisions, if you're playing on a flat-screen monitor or television.
Old 2013-06-09, 06:06   Link #34
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
It's dead because for the most part people are just writing posts as if they're writing in a journal, instead of actually talking with one another.

This would be a fantastic thread to talk about emulation. It isn't against the forum rules as long as we don't discuss where to download ROMs or things like that. Emulation is a really nice way to re-experience all of those old games, and even some of the games that you saw and wanted as a child but were never able to play. Some emulators even try to re-create the scan lines and "bubble distortion" of older televisions, if you're playing on a flat-screen monitor or television.
Well I used PS2 emulators and that's how I got to play the entire dmc series despite being a pc-only gamer. Also....I don't remember how those consoles that had the original pokemon game were called, but I played pokemon quite a bit. My only emulation regret is that I can't play Unreal Championship 2 (Xbox). Those damn emulators don't work on win7 I think I'll get into sega too, at some point, I had Gunbird for my mobile and I want to play the original.
Old 2013-06-09, 06:24   Link #35
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Also....I don't remember how those consoles that had the original pokemon game were called, but I played pokemon quite a bit.
GameBoy? Was that really before your time?

I was worried that playing some of those older games, like SNES, NES, and GameBoy games, would seem unbearable in modern days. The older graphics and limited sounds and music might seem too primitive compared to the modern games that we've grown used to. I find them perfectly playable, though, and think that the graphics have aged well.

It seems to me that part of the reason why the older games were so impactful might have to do partly with the limited graphics. The lack of fine detail created an opening for the viewer's mind to fill in the blanks with their own details, thereby making the game a much more personal and "magical" experience. The high-end graphics of today show all of those fine details and are almost movie-like in that regard. It's slightly less engaging. But that's my opinion as someone who grew up with the older games; gamers of today who start out with the newer, fancy graphics and then try to go back to the games of the 1980's and 1990's might feel very differently.
Old 2013-06-10, 05:53   Link #36
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
GameBoy? Was that really before your time?
Well, not really, but...
In a random east-european country, around 1997, the first number of a gaming magazine appears. The not so many people that read it find out 2 shocking facts:
1. the playstation is not the only console that ever existed
2. in other countries, not only a select few have a playstation
As for me, I had no idea about said magazine. In '97 I was in an arcade center that had a few second hand arcade machines imported from some faraway land. I just watched the older guys play, the old lady at the counter was nice enough to not mind me around. I tried to play a few times, but I sucked so hard...
I wish I could remember how they were called, I would love to play them now...
Old 2013-06-10, 06:03   Link #37
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I recently finished Phantasy Star IV and Shinobi III for the Genesis collection for the first time. Both absolutely excellent games. I tried Shining Force II as well, but it didn't really connect with me. I think it's because it's one of the earliest tactical RPG's. I didn't really feel like there were many options in battles. It wasn't a bad experience, however. Even though it was my first time playing these games, I felt nostalgic in a way. Not for the games, but more like the era in which they came out (1993/94). Sometimes I wish I had been born five to ten years earlier, so that I could have experienced the NES/SNES/Master System/Genesis years first hand. Those must have been good times for gamers.