AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Old 2012-10-21, 17:42   Link #641
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
It has also censored gore, and while it wasn't a big deal until now... the removal of both elements has become annoying in the 4th episode (even confusing to some).

EDIT: But let's see how it proceeds, I understand that they change episode directors, so it might not be as bad later.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 17:48   Link #642
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
It has also censored gore, and while it wasn't a big deal until now... the removal of both elements has become annoying in the 4th episode (even confusing to some).
Just curious, have you read the novel? Or are you comparing the anime to the manga?
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 17:52   Link #643
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Just curious, have you read the novel? Or are you comparing the anime to the manga?
Neither... I googled some of the manga pages to see what was all the fuss about, and read a description of the novel when the anime was announced.

I am judging the anime, maybe biased by some of the staff's previous work.
Old 2012-10-21, 18:25   Link #644
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
I thought this was what happened, that this was a kind of defense mechanism for the creature, but on the other hand, they said death feedback was triggered when the person recognized it was killing another human being. The priest certainly seemed familiar with Rainbow Library and it seems odd that a mere mirage would be able to trick him. Maybe death feedback works on a much more superficial level. Kinda like pain? You can reasonably recognize that it's just getting in the way at certain times, but it will still continue to hurt.
I think that both the death feedback activation and consequences happen at a level lower than conscious thought. Among other things, this is sorta like how we feel riding rollercoasters or watching scary movies. We know that there is practically no chance of us actually getting hurt, but our body responds by pumping out adrenaline/etc as if we were actually going to need it.

Quote:
Anyway, the logistics of changing the DNS of any widespread species to such great effect is baffling. (I know I probably shouldn't think too deeply about it...) Perhaps they only did it in the specific territory where Saki & Co. live?
First thought: "The US seems capable of screwing around with the DNS whenever the hell it feels like it without due process."
Second though: "I'm such an idiot. Yay typos."
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 18:32   Link #645
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Neither... I googled some of the manga pages to see what was all the fuss about, and read a description of the novel when the anime was announced.

I am judging the anime, maybe biased by some of the staff's previous work.
Right, but this isn't an adaptation of the manga, it's an adaptation of the novel. A few people have already said the novel and manga differ, so it's to be expected that the anime will differ from those two as well.

For all the talk of sex being toned down or not shown and how important it is, I should note that there were images of "intimate" scenes in the promotional material (not overly graphic, but the intent of the scene was crystal clear). You can still show importance from those scenes without displaying them in all their manga glory - which from what I've heard has taken its own license of liberty from the novel.

I'm a little worried that people are focusing on this too much. It's four episodes in, we just got a huge info dump, and we simply don't know what the anime will throw at us next. Maybe we'll get those "deleted" sex scenes, maybe not. It's two cour, remember? Four episodes is nothing when you're looking at another twenty before it's done.

Either way, let's not get bogged down too much in comparisons, especially since most of us lack the language understanding to discern their context in the overall story. Let's just focus on the anime and what it gives us - this is the anime thread, after all.
Old 2012-10-21, 18:39   Link #646
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
No it's not. From my experience, no one ever gives hugs often unless they're very close friends or in a relationship. The most classmates ever do normally is shake hands.
How many girls in real life do you know? Girls hug a lot, even if they're not close friends, and especially at a young age like that. If there are only two female friends in the group, they will usually share a very physical bond. Maria hugging Saki reminded me of what I saw often in real life so I couldn't realistically see it as sexual, even if I knew the anime will undoubtedly make it so (physical closeness between anime girls will always have sexual undertones. It's anime law). Some of my female classmates would hold each other's hands, wrestle, lean on each other, walk embraced, even slap the other on the butt. A lot of girls like non-sexual physical closeness and in fact, in some cultures similar shows of physical affection (such as holding hands) are common between male friends too.
If they were trying to subtly show a promiscuous society, they chose a really crappy way of doing it. I can think of several ways they could've done that better without being explicit.

Last edited by Blonto; 2012-10-21 at 18:49. Reason: reworded
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 18:51   Link #647
Xaturas

Hmmm so the kids screw like rabbits right? Ummm ok another WTF moment there for me as anime only watcher. I'm gonna check the vol 1 manga raw just to see how bad it is.

The series still stay really good and really shitty for me. It just balances on the fine line between the "I really like it" and "I don't give a crap".
Old 2012-10-21, 19:01   Link #648
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Right, but this isn't an adaptation of the manga, it's an adaptation of the novel. A few people have already said the novel and manga differ, so it's to be expected that the anime will differ from those two as well.

For all the talk of sex being toned down or not shown and how important it is, I should note that there were images of "intimate" scenes in the promotional material (not overly graphic, but the intent of the scene was crystal clear). You can still show importance from those scenes without displaying them in all their manga glory - which from what I've heard has taken its own license of liberty from the novel.

I'm a little worried that people are focusing on this too much. It's four episodes in, we just got a huge info dump, and we simply don't know what the anime will throw at us next. Maybe we'll get those "deleted" sex scenes, maybe not. It's two cour, remember? Four episodes is nothing when you're looking at another twenty before it's done.

Either way, let's not get bogged down too much in comparisons, especially since most of us lack the language understanding to discern their context in the overall story. Let's just focus on the anime and what it gives us - this is the anime thread, after all.
The subject matter is also involving 14 yos (after time skip) and 12 yos (before time skip) and times have changed since 2008. Stuff has to get "toned down" or else the title won't be taken seriously imo since it's a TV series. It's not a theatrical like Mardock Scramble and even then Balot was 16 yo iirc. Right now it's done a classy presentation with the subject matter.

Last edited by orion; 2012-10-21 at 19:13.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 19:05   Link #649
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Obviously there is something wrong with my writing style lately... I am well aware that both the anime and the manga adapt the novel, and for very different audiences. This obviously (to me) implies that neither can be particularly faithful to the novel. Unfortunately, I can not read the novel myself to judge the extent that this is true for each adaption, but on principle targeting teenagers (who can get easily distracted) and having to cope with TV self-censorship will restrict material that might (or not) be explicit in the original novel. As for the manga, I just had a quick look at the amazon reviews, and there was one butt-hurt guy among the top voted ones, the rest were not complaining about the graphic material.

Quote:

After searching now a little more though, it seems to me that the sexual (and not just romantic) relationships play a major role in the story, so I'll switch to the manga/novel thread since details on this probably will include spoilers or will be completely absent from the anime (hopefully the first)

Quote:
OK

EDIT: There is no manga/novel thread
Old 2012-10-21, 19:31   Link #650
Xaturas

Mhmm so I watched the vol1 raw of manga. Besides plot being almost completely different with stiches here and there.
There's a lot of skinship between girls (naked plays in bath and outside of it)but thats about it at least in vol 1 ^^.

What I saw is that anime doesn't even stand against manga character designs. I don't know which adaptation went more different way, but manga characters are more sexy and developed, while anime feels like middle schoolers playing around. Not to mention that manga suits are most of the time super revealing ^^. Main character girl running around in cowboy pants over her panties where its all shown @_@, it reminded me of Jamie Bergman playboy shoot.

Will give this show another 3 eps and see how it develops.
Old 2012-10-21, 19:39   Link #651
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
Mhmm so I watched the vol1 raw of manga. Besides plot being almost completely different with stiches here and there.
There's a lot of skinship between girls (naked plays in bath and outside of it)but thats about it at least in vol 1 ^^.

What I saw is that anime doesn't even stand against manga character designs. I don't know which adaptation went more different way, but manga characters are more sexy and developed, while anime feels like middle schoolers playing around. Not to mention that manga suits are most of the time super revealing ^^. Main character girl running around in cowboy pants over her panties where its all shown @_@, it reminded me of Jamie Bergman playboy shoot.

Will give this show another 3 eps and see how it develops.
They ARE middle schoolers. The ecchi added in was the manga's deviation.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 19:41   Link #652
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Well without revealing too much, the manga takes huge deviations from the novel - it's sexploitation, not adaptation. The fanservice in the manga is strictly that; the story takes a backseat to frequent yuri antics. The anime is much truer to the novel, and neither are nothing like the manga.

Sex does play an important role in the story, but the manga is basically To-Luv-Ru levels of ridiculous. There's barely any plot, and the character designs could fit Lala and Rito in any scene without most people noticing.
Old 2012-10-21, 19:44   Link #653
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Didn't the manga have the To Love Ru character designs (See what their priorities are...)?

But anyways, this is indeed the anime thread so lets get away from that. So far the show is incredibly engaging IMO, and I think they instilled enough confidence in me to say that they know what they're doing.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 19:46   Link #654
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Well without revealing too much, the manga takes huge deviations from the novel - it's sexploitation, not adaptation. The fanservice in the manga is strictly that; the story takes a backseat to frequent yuri antics. The anime is much truer to the novel, and neither are nothing like the manga.

Sex does play an important role in the story, but the manga is basically To-Luv-Ru levels of ridiculous. There's barely any plot, and the character designs could fit Lala and Rito in any scene without most people noticing.
Have you read the novel?
Old 2012-10-21, 20:18   Link #655
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Have you read the novel?
I've read the spoilers from people who have read the novel (sadly I even know how the story will end). Sex does happen, it's not particularly graphic, and it's only relevant in context, not in depiction. Novel readers have stated that the manga doesn't share many similarities at all, beyond the superficial aspects of the characters and plot. It takes tremendous license with the property and expands heavily on the fanservice.

And since I have seen the manga, I can agree. The novel won the Nihon SF Taisho Award....does the manga resemble anything you could say was derived from award winning material?

The publishers of it took a completely different path from the novel than the anime has - so focus on what will happen in the anime, and not what has happened in the manga. It's completely irrelevant to any discussion here.

As for Novel/Manga threads - they don't exist. Please feel free to make them if anyone wishes to discuss them. Just understand that since neither are translated yet, so there won't be much to discuss.
Old 2012-10-21, 20:28   Link #656
Xaturas

^^
Kinda funny is the novel business. So here you have kids screwing around, and in super ecchi titles that resolve around boobs/ass and sex drive, you don't even have much of kissing.
Those age ratings and titles made around them are really funny, not to mention the restrictions made on artists ...
Old 2012-10-21, 20:31   Link #657
kpk10
Banned

LOL, if they will follow the novel (and they will) then don't except for a lot of yuri.

In the novel there's only one scene like that and there's not much in it.

Last edited by Solace; 2012-10-21 at 20:33. Reason: Let's not mention too many specifics....
kpk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 20:36   Link #658
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

No spoilers. We're already dancing too close to that fire as it is, and I've been a part of that. I apologize.

No more manga or novel discussion, please.
Old 2012-10-21, 20:37   Link #659
kpk10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpk10 View Post
LOL, if they will follow the novel (and they will) then don't except for a lot of yuri.

In the novel there's only one scene like that and there's not much in it.

"Let's not mention too many specifics...."

Right, sorry.

But wait, if you can talk so openly about yuri and the Saki-Maria relationship without spoiler tag, why can't I talk about "You know what?"

Last edited by Solace; 2012-10-21 at 20:42. Reason: Indeed. Just playing it safe.
kpk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 20:40   Link #660
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpk10 View Post
" Let's not mention too many specifics...."

Right, sorry.

But wait, if you can talk so openly about yuri and the Saki-Maria relationship without spoiler tag, why can't I talk about... You know what?
Because at this point people have been discussing it for so long that it's not really a secret. I deleted that part because it's a future spoiler, and since we're already dancing around spoilers with all of this comparison talk, I had to delete it before someone saw it and went further.

Which is why I finished my post with a request to drop discussion of the novel and manga.

Tags
adventure, fantasy, science fiction, supernatural