AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 307 57.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 139 25.93%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 48 8.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 1.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 1.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.19%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 1.49%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-27, 09:14   Link #101
LegatioH

Incredible show. 10/10.
Good animation, awesome characters and great music.
It pretty much destroys any other super robot series.
Old 2008-01-27, 23:00   Link #102
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
A really good show but in a few certain parts they fell flat for drama. Fight scenes and comedy were top notch.

Plot- was really neat and refreshing concept got a little far fetched near the end and sometimes made you go what the hell. But that also makes this show to pulling out what the hell alot.

Characters- great cast of characters really funny and full of life.

animation- It was alight but the design was unique so that proabably gave the animation a lesser grade. But it was good animation not fantastic.

music- most of the music was good lots of good bgm tracks the OP was highly annoying at times and over used. But I enjoyed the bgm's mostly.

overall 8/10
Old 2008-02-13, 16:07   Link #103
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I just re-watched the last 3 episodes cause I had some free time and was bored. I spent most of the time shedding manly tears. T_T

God this series was awesome.
Old 2008-02-14, 19:41   Link #104
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Quality production here through and through.

Animation: With it's unique style GL (Gurren-Lagann) instantly cemented itself as a original series. The explosions/mech fighting was some of the best animated to date. While I disliked some of the art decisions (e.g. some of the outfits) it was merely personal preference. For the most part the character design was excellent boasting one of the most unique casts I've seen.

Voice Acting: All around another strong point for GL. Due to the nature of the series there was a lot required from the seiyus and they preformed admirably. The only exception to the rule was again a personal preference. I did not like Nia voiced by Yukari Fukui. She spoke like the American voice actresses (of which I like very few) who often sound fake to me.

Plot: GL turned out to be incredibly unpredictable, which is surprising considering the genre. I was consistently reminded that anything can happen and more often than not, I didn't see it coming. Character development was handled well with it's own share of heart wrenching moments. All this combined with the well paced and ever present action provide a phenomenal story of a boy his drill.
Old 2008-02-16, 11:24   Link #105
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Finally got around to watching this. While the art direction is different from your normal anime, it still wasn't enough to turn me over. Yoko was nothing but a sex symbol, Simon was a whiny Shinji clone, and Kamina, no matter how he resembles Daigoji Gai of Nadesico fame, wasn't enough to get me going. Really, the first 8 or so episodes is the typical fare you'd see from Super Robot anime, and considering I was following two other Super Robot anime at that time (Reideen and Jeeg), I dropped it for the time being as it's even worse than Reideen in the 'monster of the week' for the first arc.

When I picked it up again, I never would've thought I would say this... but a farking loli saved the show for me. An effing loli, for crying out loud, lol. (Pretty big for an anti-loli like me)

Anyways, Nia really saved the second arc IMO, and saved me from dropping the series for good. Without her and the conflict with being abandoned by her father, it really is another 'monster of the week' fare. That little drama kept me going a bit longer, long enough to get me to the meat of the anime.

But the final arc, wow. No more monster of the week, a lot of politics, tons of drama, plenty of character development (nice to see the change 7 years can make), lots of sci-fi related stuff, epic battles, and a bitter sweet story. Can't get any better for a drama and mecha fan like me. Truly the stuff good anime is made out of, and so strong that if they started only airing past eps 16, it won't change how good this arc is.

Probably my one big complaint is that Yoko is still the most misleading poster girl for an anime yet. She had next to no impact in the story, and yet she's still one of the biggest icons for the show. I guess sex sells even in anime, lol.

First arc: C-
Second arc: B
Final arc: A+

Overall rating: A- (If anything, the final arc should be seen by everyone, as it rocks. Don't think much would be missed if people skipped the first 15 episodes, just watch the recap at 16)

Spoiler for end:

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-02-27, 04:24   Link #106
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
finnally managed to get a hold of episodes 20 -> 27

all i can say is : wow!

i dont remember seeing anything this epic since a very very very longtime, in fact i dont think any anime i saw came close to this. if someone is looking for the definitiion of resolve over all it should direct him to gurren lagan.

the final was awsome they managed to keep the action epic yet avoiding most of the trap in wich an anime can fall when the story is coming to an end.
Kitan wich i never really appreciated prior to the final arc proved to be one of the most dependable and dedicated character. they managed to avoid a copy paste of a kamina situation with his relation with yoko. the author did an awsome job keeping his relation onesided and not falling into the usual character pairing in their last moments, yoko never returned his kiss, she just hugged him as a very close friend, she accepted his feelings but she didnt gave him any false hope, both stayed true to themselve. His death is one of the most moving one, even "secondary" character gets to shine and are able to leave the stage with style, imo the way he meet his death puts to shame kamina's death.

they did a very good job with the bittersweet ending :
the wedding ceremony was awsome simon and nyia knowing the outcome yet decided to go for it was really great. without nia's dying/disappearing the anime would have such an impact.
the epilogue showing us how the characters was very well done, yoko returning to become a teacher bearing the sorrowfull smile of someone who went through more than anyone could bear.
simon the man who went against the will of the universe and prevailled ends up as a homeless haunted by his past yet able to keep his composure was well done, they avoided to have him either endup as the typical ruler of the world or as the typical depressive person who cant handle his past.
when every character was entranced in their dream we could everyone's expectation for their lives, yet when the story ended we could see that most sacrificed their dream in favor of their duties and responsabilities.
most character went their own way and built their own life even if it means not seeing eachother again.

the ending was the perfect bittersweet ending it s good to see an anime can still move me even after all these years.
in my book i dont think i ever gave an anime a rating over 8/10 this is the first one i give a 9/10

i wanted to know how people interpreteted 2 things at the end.
1) yoko in her dream is shown as wishing to be a teacher, as well as in a wedding with kittan, yet the wedding is shown in a TV hold by kamina.
do you interprete it as kamina showing her buried desired she keept hidden or as him telling her she should move on after so many year and seek happyness. if it s the second option it makes the way yoko ages even better because it proves she wasnt really able to move on even though she was able to fight against "fate" wich gives her an even better human touch.
2) how do you interprete yoko throwing the ring to simon, concidering he was about to leave everyone when she throw it and the way simon ends i think she s telling him to not fully leave his past behind, to cherish his memories and not run away from his past. i know that simon once loved yoko but i cant see how it could be interpreteted as a possible romantic vibe between them.
Old 2008-02-27, 11:40   Link #107
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
i wanted to know how people interpreteted 2 things at the end.
1) yoko in her dream is shown as wishing to be a teacher, as well as in a wedding with kittan, yet the wedding is shown in a TV hold by kamina.
do you interprete it as kamina showing her buried desired she keept hidden or as him telling her she should move on after so many year and seek happyness. if it s the second option it makes the way yoko ages even better because it proves she wasnt really able to move on even though she was able to fight against "fate" wich gives her an even better human touch.
2) how do you interprete yoko throwing the ring to simon, concidering he was about to leave everyone when she throw it and the way simon ends i think she s telling him to not fully leave his past behind, to cherish his memories and not run away from his past. i know that simon once loved yoko but i cant see how it could be interpreteted as a possible romantic vibe between them.
1) Kamina was showing Yoko her own true desires, perhaps somewhat within the realm of the Alternate Universe that was created, some in the real world. For instance, Yoko's dream of a wedding with Kittan was because she really did love him. I don't think you were correct in that she didn't reciprocate his feelings for her. I think the way she held him close was actually more loving than her first kiss with Kamina.

2) No. She threw him the ring because it fell right next to her foot. Duh. It would have been weird if another character who was farther away threw it to Simon when it was right next to Yoko for her to pick up. I mean, she was in the front row of the wedding, so of course she was a closest. I don't believe there's any romantic symbolism of that. I mean, they would'nt do that considering it was Nia's wedding. I mean, come on. Sure, there was a bit of a unrequited love of Simon for Yoko, but that ended around episode 8 or so, and was rendered completely unplausable after Nia showed up. Oh, and it was a keepsake of Simon and Nia's love. If there's ANY symbolism, it's the idea that Simon never turned back nor turned away from his responsibilities or his destiny.

Last edited by Spectacular_Insanity; 2008-02-27 at 12:59.
Old 2008-02-27, 12:49   Link #108
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
the thing about kamina holding the TV i was thinking the same even though i doubt she was in love with kitan at that time, i think that she was longing for happyness like any "normal" woman and kitan was the representation of it. Had he survived i m sure she would have fallen for him.
if you look at yoko kissing kamina he looked surprise yet return it to her, she was surprise when kitan kissed her but just hugged him, imo at that time she liked him but didnt loved him yet. sucks to not fluently speak english cause i cant express properly the distinction i wanted to make in her feelings :/

for the ring i saw it as a : dont flee from the past, you cheerished nia then keep her ring and dont throw all your happy memories away because they are also linked to the painfull memory of nia disappearing. at that moment simon was about to leave everyone and to leave the ring of the one for whom he stood against "fate" it would have been a like an absolute defeat to run away from the past and the pan instead of carrying it and accepting the events.
my comment reguarding an hypotetical romance between yoko/simon was more a bait to see if people wanted to see a yoko/simon.
Old 2008-03-08, 22:27   Link #109
War_Lord
Modern Philosopher

Gurren Lagann managed to break through my top 5 fav. anime shows of all time. Once again, a mecha show managed to surprise me. The first one that got to me was Evangelion. And it remains to be my fav. show of all time. Gurren Lagann is now my second fav. It's been so long since I experienced so many emotions while watching an anime show, or any type of media for that matter. I think the only thing that kept it from being no.1 was the fact that I watched Eva first and it still holds a strong standard on what I see as a good anime show. Nonetheless, GL was a true masterpiece that's in a league of it's own.
Old 2008-03-08, 23:20   Link #110
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I think people are often surprised by mecha anime because they don't realize one important fact: It's not about the mechas themselves, it's about who's piloting them. A show could have the most bad-ass giant robots ever, but if its characters are flat and uninteresting, there's no way the show could be good. Gurren Lagann shocks you with plain ol' hugeness ever few episodes (literally), but you really love it when you catch on to the fact that it's purely fighting spirit that's powering it all. That's what I loved about the show --- indomitable spirit, against impossible odds. That's what sold the show for me.
Old 2008-03-27, 08:49   Link #111
ArmorClad
The Original AAA Member

I bought this one yesterday and holy crap, once i put it in the dvd machine i dedicated my day off of work to watching every single episode.
I loved the characters and the story. Pure Awesome.
The only thing i thought that left a little bit to be desired was the ending. It was probably due to the pure awesomeness of every other episode.
The ending threw me off a bit just cause it got all my emotions pumping i was in a kifuffle of sad and devestated all at once.

In the end i'd give this a 9.5/10 its was insane how much this anime got to me.
I actually barely slept cause i was busy thinking about happend to everyone hahaha.
Old 2008-03-28, 09:55   Link #112
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorClad View Post
I bought this one yesterday and holy crap, once i put it in the dvd machine i dedicated my day off of work to watching every single episode.
I loved the characters and the story. Pure Awesome.
The only thing i thought that left a little bit to be desired was the ending. It was probably due to the pure awesomeness of every other episode.
The ending threw me off a bit just cause it got all my emotions pumping i was in a kifuffle of sad and devestated all at once.

In the end i'd give this a 9.5/10 its was insane how much this anime got to me.
I actually barely slept cause i was busy thinking about happend to everyone hahaha.
You bought the series? All of the episodes?

If so, score one to bootlegs.
Old 2008-04-01, 21:53   Link #113
Sesshiroth

The first thing i wish to make perfectly clear is that my least favorite genre of anime is mech shows. Ironically, my two favorite series so far are...mech shows. The first was Evangelion, but after watching Gurren Lagann (adressed as GL from now on) i had to make space in my soul to house it as well. Let me say first that I give it a 9.5, just so you don't think my first comments are bad ^^

One day i got a phone call from a friend of mine, saying that he had found a great show and so on and so forth. He is...very odd so I was skeptical about trusting his choice in shows. Nonetheless, I clicked the link he gave me and ended watching GL episode 1 online. The opening credits were cut out of this online one for some reason, so I suddenly found myself looking at some random dude in space saying that their enemies numbered like the stars. Up until now i hadn't formed an opinion, but just when things started to blow up I was suddenly switched to an underground village with "mole people" as I called them for a few days (since they were digging all the time and what not). I paused the video, let it buffer while i did other things, then skimmed through, barely paying attention. With the appearance of Yoko I thought great, another fan service whore, and the first scene with Lagann brought about a wow thats pathetic...stubby mech looks stupid and was quick to respond to my friend, telling him he had stumbled onto the biggest piece of bullshit i had seen in my life. Was I ever horribly wrong.

Two days after i had dumped episode one, I sat at my desk, bored shitless as usual, and suddenly decided to watch episode two. Although I did also skim through this one, I stopped at one point and watched the rest of the movie, as a crazy guy with spiky purple hair was spouting some of the most random, funny, and well said quotes I have heard in a long time. The second episode left me in a daze, and the only way I can describe the feeling is like a CRAVING for more. Almost as if you had just finished off a bag of Ms. Vickies Sweet Chilie and Sour Cream but can still taste the spices and cant help but have your mouth water. Without a second thought, I went back to the website to find the third episode...only to find that it wasn't there. The website only had the first two episodes, and the last two. With a curse i found the torrents and spent the next day downloading the entire series, plus all the music from [Nipponsei] ^^. Here is where the real review begins.

I was very fond of the character animations, at first they seemed silly but they grew on me quickly, they were just so well drawn and appealing, although at some times unrealistic. Episode 4 was a bummer though, :/ The storyline was also very well written, a rare thing to find nowadays. I was never fond of Yoko from the beginning, and I am not a very fond lover of characters devoted entirely to fan service, but even so she had her good parts in the show. I have to feel sorry for her though, after some guy kisses her they die in the next 5 minutes, maybe shes cursed? I personally would have preferred having Yoko and Nia switch places in the end to a certain extent, Yoko dying in an exploding Ganmen for instance and Nia being able to stay as Simon's wife (I am well aware to the controversy of whether or not Nia is "dead" but I will just mark her as so.) Random characters such as the old man that randomly appears here and there, and the weirder characters like Boota where both awesome and added a great deal to the show. I was not pleased when both my favorite characters, Kamina and Kittan, died. It was obvious that it was going to happen to both of them (they wre cursed by the she-devil's kiss :P), but it was still something that made me sad I also scowled when the rap music started getting out of hand as background music, but seeing at how epic the show is it is hard to dull how beautiful it is simply by background music. There is so much more i could write about, but I don't want this to get too long, so I'll wrap it up now.

All in all this show was very well done, the animations were perfectly made for the setting and plot, the story progressed very nicely and didn't go to fast or too slow, and new characters were added at a good pace and in a good place. This series deserves a 10, but my extremely picky senses prevent me from doing so, giving it a 9.5 instead. Tied with Evangelion for my favorite series made, I believe it is time that my Evangelion Collectors Edition had a little company on the shelf.
Old 2008-04-16, 06:52   Link #114
Kamina-san

I just finished this one hell of a masterpiece of a show a little over a week ago. I don’t know why I didn’t notice it before. What can I say? I created an account just to talk about it.

I have seen A LOT of anime. While each has done has delivered in one way or another, NO show, anime or live-action has put me through such an inspirational and heartrending experience like Tengen. It seems like I was even destined to watch previous animes just to prepare me for it. As of now, every four out of five animes have been downgraded because of it and many seem minor.

The show is the BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN! I don't know what it is. Every show from FMA to Evangelion to Cowboy Bebop never stuck out as front-runner. Don't get me wrong, these are all A-material and fantastic animes, just one never stood out to overthrow the rest as my favorite. After watching this, a victor has emerged piercing through the heavens.

We can agree that this show made both men and women cry. Few shows have done that to me. if any at all. Not only that, I laughed, I cheered, and cried again of strong, manly tears.

After rewatching this bittersweet anime, the plot; the characters, however minute; the setting; the music; and the message of never giving up are all even more legendary.

Most people will agree that the story left few unanswered questions. Even after reading the "Secrets of TTGL" interview held at an anime expo in Japan, I still have questions boggling my mind. Mostly pertaining to Yoko and Simon.

-Why didn't Simon tell anybody he may have by accident aided the killing of Kamina because of his own selfish inhibitions for Yoko? Someone said “He went emo.” Was it guilt? Also, what of Simon’s previous feelings for Yoko? Was Nia his remedy?

-Why does everyone stereotype Yoko as someone with the kiss of death? I believe that these were times when her emotional side was exposed as well as the people by her and was followed by a series of unfortunate events. I believed what Yoko and Kamina had was love, not just a crush. Kittan acted like he needed to do something heroic in order to live up to their fallen leader's hot-bloodedness expectations and save the Dai-Gurren Brigade.. I believe Kittan’s kiss was facilitated by his decision to be a martyr and probably stirred up some emotions and was invoked by it. After all, there was just a hug after the Kittan kiss instead of a second passionate kiss like with Kamina. So the feeling at that time was not mutual.That being said, I think her love for children was all she needed to remedy her heartbreak(s) in life instead of another lover. Though she may have been lonely at that island, those kids no doubt helped her through it. As you can tell, I believe Kamina is the only one for Yoko.

(I spoke to my friends in Japan about this after-death scenario that I created for the entire Dai-Gurren Brigade and they think it’s a pretty happy scenario. Too bad I couldn’t fit the immortal Viral into this. Sigh. If only Hiroyuki Imaishi were to read this. Bigger sigh.)

Cue the disappearance of any city built after the twenty-seven yearish period after Kamina’s death by the place of their first kiss (Yoko x Kamina) and replace it accordingly. Slowly draw in a close-up of Kamina looking off at the distance on that fateful ledge with his back towards the point-of-view Yoko via the camera. Only for him to turn around as she approaches to see Kamina's smiling face to cheer up her heartbroken soul. Pan out of point-of-view for her to gaze at him, only for him to respond “Remember when I said I would repay you back ten times. That’s not nearly enough.” They kiss only to hear the cheers of the entire Dai-Gurren Brigade below the ledge with Nia by Simon and a sudden smile and nod from Kittan letting her know that it was okay. They kiss more passionately and the camera pans out to see the Gurren Lagann raising the flag of the Dai-Gurren Brigade as Attenborough repeatedly pushes a button that shoots multiple fireworks in the air. Panning out once again to see the flag like a reflection in the starry sky.

I know that might've sounded cheesy and even Titanic-y. But this is only thing I can think of that gives any poetic justice to these memorable characters to commemorate their adventure in this legendary, epic and yet tragic tale. Forget the impossible and kick reason to the curb.

I can’t wait for the movie and hopefully possible other OVAs and other movies. One of which that may take place when my scenario does. Smiles.

I’m glad I got that off my chest.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, the standard for all other anime. It's not perfect but sure as hell close.

If you can't take my word for it, then "Who the hell you think I am?"

10/10

(EDIT): I found this picture in another thread but it is so beautiful because it it gives a similar idea of what I hope, post-epilogue.

Last edited by Kamina-san; 2008-04-19 at 04:54.
Old 2008-04-18, 04:45   Link #115
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Awesome Awesome Show. Im really sad about Nia's death....but I suppose it was bound to happen.
Animation was amazing .cough except ep 4 lol, but we'll forget about that.

Loved the Music. makes u wanna go punch a face.

Simon and Viral became one of my favorite characters. the ending....was one word-badass. but sad at the same time.

Nia of course <3 her..

Now to wait for the movie lol
10/10
Old 2008-04-20, 01:41   Link #116
tenkenX6
Undead Fansub TL/TLC
*Fansubber

Hmm.....yes, great series. Definitely one of the best I've seen in a while. I really liked the retro giant robot series feel to it. The fusion of the comedy, drama, and action kept me going back for more. Well, of course, I liked the characters, storyline, animation, music, and etc a lot, too.
Old 2008-05-03, 22:38   Link #117
gameboy234

Just finish watching guren lagann.
I can't sleep well last night. Keep thinking about the show and feeling empty.
I rate this a 9. Good anime!
Old 2008-05-04, 02:50   Link #118
Lordshin
(´・ω・`)/ 

just finished watching this after needing something to watch in between Code Geass and D. Gray-man.

and all i have to say is: WOW!

this is possibly one of the best anime series out there ><
i'd giveit a 9.5/10... got kind of annoyed w/ yoko's bouncing breasts >.> lol

but yeah the final battle was perfect...
made me realize how big the universe really is xD
Old 2008-05-16, 07:28   Link #119
MajideTime
Big O! It's showtime!

This has to be the best anime since The Big O (if not quite on that level of loveliness). Brilliant, hotblooded super robot action which, I'll admit, actually got me teary-eyed at one point (episode 11), some wonderfully over-the-top characters (especially Kittan), and, well, I could just say episode 8 and that'd automatically give enough justification for a perfect 10. Only flaws:

-Completely redundant female characters, who were either just eyecandy (Yoko), annoyingly useless (Nia), or plain stupid (Kinon).

-Rossiu never got his just desserts for being a huge bastard. So, what, he cries a bit and tries to kill himself and that's it, no hard feelings for attempting to have Simon executed?

-Both Arc and Chouginga Gurren Lagann were completely useless after their first few minutes of screen time.

- Viral was, really, a huge waste of a character after the Beastman arc. Kittan was far more interesting, IMO, and he should've been Gurren's pilot for the final battle.

-Episode 4's animation. 'Nuff said.

Other than those points, TTGL was excellent and deserves to be viewed as an all-time classic anime.
Old 2008-06-10, 01:49   Link #120
Onchuu_Norin
Clandestine Otaku

Cool

The idea was just magnificent. I mean who would of thought of having an idea of people living underground who find hope to escape to the surface, which makes way with the beginning of their fight with the Anti-Spirals.... It was kind of depressing that Nia and Simon didn't live together happily ever after, but it was still a really good anime that deserves a lot of praise.
Closed Thread