AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

View Poll Results: What is their gender?
Both are male. 119 50.42%
Both are female. 105 44.49%
Dorii is male and Guraa is female. 6 2.54%
Guraa is male and Dorii is female. 6 2.54%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-29, 03:01   Link #501
Cardiac Glycoside

There is no way Karura is NOT any straight guy's type. Oboro definitely loev the cock.
Old 2007-11-29, 20:34   Link #502
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
^^^

Nah, that is just speculation and wishful thinking. Hakauro has a good sized harem. It is more like Oboro has his own miniature reverse harem.

I think somebody mentioned this in the thread, but I wonder if Oboro knows they slept/sleep with him. He seemed to know in episode 17. If Dori and Gura are indeed male, that would indicate he is gay. Maybe these things are the case. After all, as we all know, when it comes to Oboro and Karura, he "doesn't like her at all". Karura is the foxiest girl in the series. Either she ain't his type, or Oboro's...well, you know...
You have a good point there, especially considering he was so damn drunk... XD
Old 2007-12-02, 11:38   Link #503
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
If it's so obvious, why do you think people have been talking about it for nearly 500 posts in this thread alone? As I said, "endless"...
Simple. They dont want to admit it. And also some people might like them male better ( not me ).

There have been many evidences that they are females , but i havent seen ( over the past 500 post) any evidence ( other than they are male in the game) that they are male.

Think about it this way. If one hadnt played the game ( thus no bias ) , what would one conclude their gender?

Answer: female.
Old 2007-12-02, 13:25   Link #504
Lynx190
Keine is moo.

Um, if you read my post a few posts back, I thought they were male from the very start, before even knowing anything about the game.

And I haven't seen any kind of "evidence" that they're female, just a whole bunch of points that say it's *possible* for them to be female, which people then somehow interpret as proof... (e.g. the fact that female characters sometimes use "boku" means they don't have to be male because of that... but that's an exception, male is still the more likely).

As for evidence of them being male, well, someone mentioned that most Japanese fanart has them male, and they're more likely to be able to pick up on any clues to the twins' gender than we are. Also, the screencaps of that bonus scene with bathhouse fanservice has all the female characters there (even aruru fanservice!) but guess what? The twins aren't there! And basically, the fact that they are definitely 100% in FACT male in the game is pretty strong evidence on its own; dismissing it as "oh that's just the game, it has no relevance to the anime" is highly flawed since the game, is, after all, the source for the anime. Due to that, I would say the burden of proof is on the female supporters; when an anime adaptation of a manga or game is made, it's far more likely that they'll keep the characters' genders the same rather than arbitrarily change them.

Basically I go with the argument that if they really were going to change the twins' gender for the anime, it would have been made *obvious* rather than leaving it confusing. The best explanation for why they'd want to make such a change is to avoid offending the sensibilities of their straight male audience, in which case you'd expect to see them turned into hot babes, not left as androgynous boys/flat-chested women
Old 2007-12-02, 14:36   Link #505
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
Simple. They dont want to admit it. And also some people might like them male better ( not me ).

There have been many evidences that they are females , but i havent seen ( over the past 500 post) any evidence ( other than they are male in the game) that they are male.

Think about it this way. If one hadnt played the game ( thus no bias ) , what would one conclude their gender?

Answer: female.
The ironic part about you replying to my post in particular is that I've been saying all along that they're clearly male in the anime, even if you totally ignore the game. That's whether I want it to be that way or not -- that's just the way the jokes went.

And so it continues...
Old 2007-12-02, 18:23   Link #506
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
The ironic part about you replying to my post in particular is that I've been saying all along that they're clearly male in the anime, even if you totally ignore the game. That's whether I want it to be that way or not -- that's just the way the jokes went.

And so it continues...
. To be honest i dont remember what i voted myself eaither .

P.S. just checked . I Voted male too >_<. I guess the evidents back then were leaning towards that hehe.
Old 2007-12-02, 22:18   Link #507
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I totally agree with what Lynx190 has said. I have made the same points throughout the topic. I won't quote it due to length (not like it's that long), but here is a link to his post for convience (even though his/her post is a few posts above this post ).

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=504

I think he or she makes good points; many of which I made. The fact that they are male in the game shouldn't be written off. I think that was a stupid thing of the OP to put on the table. The game is the source material. So many characters are represented in the anime just as they are in the game. Why not Dori and Gura, as well? Just because they are adrogonous and feminine looking in the anime? I have news for you guys; they are adrogonous and feminine looking in the game, too! Look at the in-game art of them and the artwork for the game of them. They are androgonous and feminine looking there, too, and confirmed to be male in the game.

So, they are adrogonous in the game, yet the game is discounted, but the basis for this thread and the speculation is that they are adrogonous in the anime. Anybody see something funny with this.

Also, I agree with Lynx about some of the things that some people have used for their arguments. As Lynx said "And I haven't seen any kind of "evidence" that they're female, just a whole bunch of points that say it's *possible* for them to be female, which people then somehow interpret as proof...". The source material should not be discounted, and there is no clear proof of them being female in the anime. Such as the boku thing; some argued they might be tomboys. The more likely case is that they use boku-tacchi a few times because, simply, they are male in the anime. Again, I think they should be assumed to be male in the anime unless proven otherwise, and not vice versa.

I agree with Lynx, if they were going to change their gender for the anime, they would do so to appease male fans, and thus make it obvious, and would not change their gender yet make them appear as they did in the game and have them be androgonous, flat-chested females, as Lynx put it.

Also, they aren't in the omake episode with the girls in the bath house. And I once brought up the point that there is mostly fan art of them as males from Japanese (and American/Western) artists. I have browsed around, and still do browse around for Utawa fanart. Karura and Touka are apparently the fan favorites. But I've seen a good number of fanart portrayals of Dori and Gura as male, and only one of them as female, but it was a bit of a joke (they had DD sized breasts, I'm sure people can see the joke there).

Also, some people who still think that "but they got to be female, they look like girls. Look at the bed scene with them and Oboro in episode 17", I say; familiarize yourself with traps. 4chan popularized the term, there are a good number of traps in anime nowadays.
Old 2007-12-22, 15:35   Link #508
XTimX

They're girls...

Guys don't have tails do they , I'd like to see a single scene where you see a guy with a tail...

boku doesn't necessarily mean your a guy...

plus their voices doesn't mean their guys too...in that case , would you call touka a guy too ??
Old 2007-12-22, 17:28   Link #509
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTimX View Post
Guys don't have tails do they , I'd like to see a single scene where you see a guy with a tail...
You clearly didn't read this very thread.
Old 2007-12-22, 19:00   Link #510
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Also, Tim, with what you said about how they use the phrase "boku tacchi", as I said a few posts above, it most likely just means they are male. I know some people try to spin it or put the angle on it that they might be tomboys, but another angle to look at it, especially taking everything else into consideration in this thread, is that they use the phrase simply because they actually are male.
Old 2007-12-22, 19:05   Link #511
XTimX

Quote:
You clearly didn't read this very thread.

my bad I must have missed it...watched utawarerumono in one mega marathon ( I didn't come for the furry ears and tails but was pleasantly surprised when I saw eruruu's tail at the first episode... MOE :P )...so pretty tired here...8.04 AM in the morning with manys hours of no sleep :P

but I question that point...if guys can have tails...and dori and gura are ( I presume their oboro's sisters ) related to oboro...why doesn't oboro have a tail then ?

Quote:
Also, Tim, with what you said about how they use the phrase "boku tacchi", as I said a few posts above, it most likely just means they are male. I know some people try to spin it or put the angle on it that they might be tomboys, but another angle to look at it, especially taking everything else into consideration in this thread, is that they use the phrase simply because they actually are male.
wow thanks for the heads up but in any event I'm still a big supporter of the female idea...just browsed through like a thousand pics in the image thread...the image of the twins in a extremely manly comic nearly killed me

plus I don't think oboro is a gay near flat-chested girls are my thing too :P
Old 2007-12-22, 19:42   Link #512
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
but I question that point...if guys can have tails...and dori and gura are ( I presume their oboro's sisters ) related to oboro...why doesn't oboro have a tail then ?
I don't think they're related at all. They're more like "loyal servants". I don't remember the anime explaining the background there, but it's been a while.

Quote:
plus I don't think oboro is a gay
That's the whole joke of that infamous naked/morning-after scene. Oboro is trying to make it clear that he isn't, but the twins...

Anyway, this is déjà-vu all over again. To future posters: Please be prepared with new arguments if you're going to bump this thread. That means read what other people have already tried arguing first.
Old 2007-12-22, 20:28   Link #513
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

They are not Oboro's siblings. Yazuha, the sick girl, is Oboro's sister. Dori and Gura were homeless and then taken in by Oboro. It was revealed when they pleaded Hakauro to save Oboro, "their master", in episode 4 (I believe it was this episode). Thus, they learned skills under him and serve him in fighting and aiding his sister and what not. So, over time, they formed a tight bond with him, the guy that took him in. And obviously, they developed strong feelings of love and romance for him, haha!

Also, Dori and Gura are dog-people (since I'm in the camp that thinks they are male, I say they are dogboys ). Oboro and Yazuha are cat people. I saw a image of Oboro and Yazuha before, from the game artwork, and Oboro had a cat tail. He must have it concealed in the anime, for combat or something. Karura and her brother are similar to Oboro and Yazuha, they are cat people.

Quote:
wow thanks for the heads up but in any event I'm still a big supporter of the female idea...just browsed through like a thousand pics in the image thread...the image of the twins in a extremely manly comic nearly killed me

plus I don't think oboro is a gay near flat-chested girls are my thing too :P
I joke that Oboro is gay. Although, he probably is. ;-) I think that Dori and Gura are male and not flat-chested girls, but I dig near flat chested anime chicks, too. Not like in a lolicon sense. 0.0 Just like, I dunno, some characters and OCs, such as Rukia or Soi Fong (both from Bleach). Heck, I like nearly any kind of anime girl. ^_^ Except for really evil ones, like that Queen from Last Exile. She is evil.

Quote:
my bad I must have missed it...watched utawarerumono in one mega marathon ( I didn't come for the furry ears and tails but was pleasantly surprised when I saw eruruu's tail at the first episode... MOE :P )...so pretty tired here...8.04 AM in the morning with manys hours of no sleep :P
That tail scene with Eruru is pretty moe. I even have an avatar with that scene. Also, how Utawa has characters with animal ears and tails; "Kemonomimi" characters, was a big draw for me (Wiki entry on Kemonomimi characters for those not quite sure what it means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemonomimi). It made a solid fantasy anime series significantly better for me, as I love kemonomimi characters. I love many of the Utawa cast because they are kemonomimi characters. My favorites characters are Dori, Gura, Eruru, Arura, Karura, and Touka. Genjimaru and Benewi rock, too, not because of Kemonomimi factor, just because they are badass. Well, Karura is too, and Touka is a good fighter, but they get extra points; Karura is a hot catgirl, and Touka is cute. :3 The bunny girls are good too, Hauenkua my favorite villian in the series, and Kamyuu and the other angel girl are good, as well. Ah, like I said, I love most of the Utawa cast, most of them not just because I like them as characters, but also because they are Kemonomimi characters, as well.
Old 2007-12-23, 20:52   Link #514
BleachOD
Banned

Don't start me lying...I can't remember where. But I read that they were originally males. But in the ANIME they are GIRLS.

And the second picture on the first page of thread they clearly have breast. (itty-bitty ones but breast)

http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snap15157cd.jpg
Old 2007-12-23, 21:27   Link #515
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

They are not breasts! They are pecks!! Pecks i tell you!
Old 2007-12-23, 22:10   Link #516
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Those aren't breasts. Their garments fold out a bit there (and in fact, if you look at the pic, it is only the case for one of the twins). This goes back to the point; people are trying to look at pecks or folds in the garments and say they are itty, bitty breasts - this goes back to the point that if they wanted to make them female in the anime, wouldn't you really think they'd make it obvious and known, and not a mystery. I was gonna say "and not make them androgynous", but then I remembered; they didn't even make them androgynous. They are depicted in the anime just as they are from the source material, where they are androgynous males.

And if it was written somewhere that they are girls, the internets would have known by now! If it was written before, the word would have gotten out.
Old 2007-12-24, 05:44   Link #517
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
They are not breasts! They are pecks!! Pecks i tell you!
Even if they were the size of mosquito bites..they are still breast.

Quote:
Those aren't breasts. Their garments fold out a bit there (and in fact, if you look at the pic, it is only the case for one of the twins). This goes back to the point; people are trying to look at pecks or folds in the garments and say they are itty, bitty breasts - this goes back to the point that if they wanted to make them female in the anime, wouldn't you really think they'd make it obvious and known, and not a mystery. I was gonna say "and not make them androgynous", but then I remembered; they didn't even make them androgynous. They are depicted in the anime just as they are from the source material, where they are androgynous males.

And if it was written somewhere that they are girls, the internets would have known by now! If it was written before, the word would have gotten out.
Now I have to search for it...again. I did research because I was looking for the Manga...because as awesome as the anime is...the ending leaves you like WTF

It's only one twin...but it's still a booby no matter how small

Mens shirts do not do that...That's how you can usually tell a girl who looks like a boy is a girl..because no matter how small..if she moves a certain way a booby pops out.

Um I hate to break it to you...but you are not all-seeing (If you are...Put me on. I wanna do like you) You might have missed it...where as I am obsessive...really. I search everywhere...
Old 2007-12-24, 13:54   Link #518
Skane
Anime Snark

You know... men can have bigger breasts than that. Just saying.

Cheers.
Old 2007-12-24, 23:12   Link #519
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
Even if they were the size of mosquito bites..they are still breast.

Now I have to search for it...again. I did research because I was looking for the Manga...because as awesome as the anime is...the ending leaves you like WTF

It's only one twin...but it's still a booby no matter how small

Mens shirts do not do that...That's how you can usually tell a girl who looks like a boy is a girl..because no matter how small..if she moves a certain way a booby pops out.

Um I hate to break it to you...but you are not all-seeing (If you are...Put me on. I wanna do like you) You might have missed it...where as I am obsessive...really. I search everywhere...
All seeing? Yeah, I wish! I'd win the lottery!

What was the source where you read this, and how credible is it? If it isn't credible and some guy from an anime site says so, that doesn't do much, hehe.

If it was credible and from the director or a producer, that'd be one thing, but again, if that was the case, it'd find its way into 4chan or one of the chans and anime communities and Utawa fans would have heard of it before.
Old 2007-12-29, 23:46   Link #520
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

This has been stated over and over again but here goes nothing..

Spoiler for game spoiler: