AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-03-24, 09:58   Link #1
Eragon
Still Alive

Looking for good, immersive RPG's.

The reason I'm making this request here and not going to a gaming site and checking out their ratings is, I have a bit more faith in the community than gaming sites critics

Anyhow, the number of RPG's I have played is small. More precisely,

Dragon Age : Origins
Mass Effect trilogy

Yeah, that's it. So, I'm hopeful that there are other games as good as those in this genre.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 2013-03-24, 10:30   Link #2
kitten320

Well there is Fable and the famous Skyrim

From Japanese RPG world there is an all famous Final Fantasy saga. FF 7 is the most famous one but I didn't play it. I personally love FF 9.

What exactly did you like about those 2 games?
Fable and Skyrim will be closest to them though, at least among the ones I know.
There is also the famous Diablo
Still have to get my hands around 3rd part but I loved Diablo 2.

P.S. There are always Pokemons
Old 2013-03-24, 10:53   Link #3
Eragon
Still Alive

Yeah, I tried Diablo 2, and as much as I don't mind graphics in a game (very rarely am I effy about graphics if the story or concept is good), I just couldn't get into it. I don't think that graphics were the problem, after all I played and loved Myth II : Soulblighter

What I liked about the one's I mentioned would be, hmm.... the characters and their interactions, the story that is molded by those interactions and your decisions. It's kinda difficult to put it in words - and I've never been good at expressing things

Skyrim seems to be the closest thing to what I'm looking for from what you mentioned.

P.S. Yeah, Pokemons.......No

Last edited by Eragon; 2013-03-30 at 23:57.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 11:24   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Skyrim is closer to Mass Effect than it is to Dragon Age: Origins. I've tried playing Mass Effect a couple of times, but I dislike games where I have to shoot things in first-person mode. I much prefer a game like DA:O where the fighting is more abstract and less dependent on my ability to aim and shoot a weapon.

I haven't found any game that provides the level of character interaction in DA:O. I like pairing up characters like Alastair and Morrigan or Morrigan and Leliana and listen to them bicker while we walk around Ferelden. The sequel, Dragon Age II, is a decent game, but it takes place in just a few venues and feels more claustrophobic as a result. If you have never played the various mini-games ("downloadable content") associated with DA:O, you might want to visit the Playstation Store and get them. We own the "Ultimate Edition" of DA:O which includes all these additional games.

If you enjoyed setting up your party members' actions, you should give Final Fantasy XII a look. It has a similar system for customizing the other party members then letting them have at it. Unlike Dragon Age there is no requirement that you play any character during battles, but you can do so if you choose. One of the many things that annoyed me about FF XIII was the return to button-mashing that game involves.

I'm still a big fan of FF X even though hardcore types think it is too easy. I think it has one of the best stories of the series. I also like VIII though it too gets panned by FF fanbois.

If you want to try a game with a lot of witty dialogue like you found in DA:O, I recommend Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Even though it's a sequel, I played them in reverse order. There are some references to the first game in Covenant's story, but the game still stands on its own quite well. The third game, set in America, is substantially weaker than its two predecessors.

One other game that is quite different from any of these but still quite immersive is Indigo Prophecy. The game play is very unusual, and the story pretty decent. It isn't an RPG in the usual sense of managing a party of characters, though.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-24, 11:26   Link #5
kitten320

Fable depends a lot on the choices you make. You can be a great saint ruler or famous serial killer.
Your looks and even environment can change depending on some of the actions, especially in early stage of the game.

I only played Fable 2 but I heard that Fable 1 exceeds in all of the areas.

I only started to play Skyrim but one of the things I loved is that you can choose a race you are playing for, your abilities will also depend on it

FF wise, FF 13-2 depends on choices you make but over all it was not the best game.
FF 13 is not the best game but it had an entertaining story, at least it had some awesome ideas in my opinion.
Story wise and game play wise I really enjoyed FF 9 as well as the characters. I love characters and story. I also like the fact that almost every monster looks different, usually it is just colour change.
Wasn't big fan of FF 10 but after playing some other versions I have to give it a credit. Beautiful animation, entertaining characters and one of the best battle systems.
FF 12 has great game play but it falls flat story and character wise.
FF 8 got varieties of emotions from me but mostly negatives character and story wise, especially starting from CD 3.

There is also Kingdom Hearts
But in order to enjoy it, you have to like Disney cartoons and possibly be a bit familiar with FF games.
Old 2013-03-24, 12:03   Link #6
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Skyrim is closer to Mass Effect than it is to Dragon Age: Origins. I've tried playing Mass Effect a couple of times, but I dislike games where I have to shoot things in first-person mode. I much prefer a game like DA:O where the fighting is more abstract and less dependent on my ability to aim and shoot a weapon.

I haven't found any game that provides the level of character interaction in DA:O. I like pairing up characters like Alastair and Morrigan or Morrigan and Leliana and listen to them bicker while we walk around Ferelden. The sequel, Dragon Age II, is a decent game, but it takes place in just a few venues and feels more claustrophobic as a result. If you have never played the various mini-games ("downloadable content") associated with DA:O, you might want to visit the Playstation Store and get them. We own the "Ultimate Edition" of DA:O which includes all these additional games.

If you enjoyed setting up your party members' actions, you should give Final Fantasy XII a look. It has a similar system for customizing the other party members then letting them have at it. Unlike Dragon Age there is no requirement that you play any character during battles, but you can do so if you choose. One of the many things that annoyed me about FF XIII was the return to button-mashing that game involves.

I'm still a big fan of FF X even though hardcore types think it is too easy. I think it has one of the best stories of the series. I also like VIII though it too gets panned by FF fanbois.

If you want to try a game with a lot of witty dialogue like you found in DA:O, I recommend Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Even though it's a sequel, I played them in reverse order. There are some references to the first game in Covenant's story, but the game still stands on its own quite well. The third game, set in America, is substantially weaker than its two predecessors.

One other game that is quite different from any of these but still quite immersive is Indigo Prophecy. The game play is very unusual, and the story pretty decent. It isn't an RPG in the usual sense of managing a party of characters, though.
I just tried DA II a few hours before I created this thread. It's just so....underwhelming compared to DA:O. And the Darkspawn look so pathetic. I play on my laptop so, the graphics setting was at high. And unless there is a huge difference between high and very high I think the graphics looked downgraded compared to DA:O
Hurlock grunt looks no different than a hurlock. Their designs are just......The most disappointing thing personally is that, for the first time I found the default (female)character design better than the customized one

FF X seems good enough for a try.
Old 2013-03-24, 13:29   Link #7
jedinat

Give Knights of the Old Republic I and II a try... There's a big "restoration" mod for the second one that people had been following for years and years. The KOTOR games are much better than Dragon Age story-wise.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 21:47   Link #8
Eragon
Still Alive

Okay. So, I tried Skyrim for like 1 hour and then dropped it. I just couldn't get into it. Its one thing to be big and open, quite another to be confusing - which I felt Skyrim was for however short amount of period I played it. The lack of companions (or interactive companions like in DA:O) was probably the final nail in the coffin.

Now, Star Wars is my last hope.
Old 2013-03-30, 23:14   Link #9
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The Witcher 2. I'd also recommend The Witcher (first game), but the combat is...not noob friendly, and I know it turned a lot of normal rpg players away from an otherwise great game. I think you can get away with playing #2 without playing #1.

Hard for me to say, as the games are based on a world created in a bunch of novels. One could say the games are continuing the story from those novels, and I had read those novels prior to playing. There are definitely many things within both games only novel readers would get, but I wouldn't let that stop you. Most people who played the games almost certainly never read the novels.

There aren't a whole lot of deep, story-driven, immersive modern RPGs for the computer. A number of sandboxes (ie: Skyrim, Fallout 3/Vegas, etc-essentially little to no story, but a big sandbox to rpg out in). You've played DA and ME. There are a ton of things I disliked about DA 2, but I actually enjoyed the story, even if it made fanboys rage like a Hitler youtube clip.

Tons of older RPGs, but your posts seem to indicate you're looking for good graphics, so I won't bother recommending those (ie: Baldur's Gate I, II, and expansions, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, Anachronox, Jade Empire, NWN: Hordes of the Underdark, NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer, FF Tactics (emulator), Xenosaga/gears/blade (emulator), Tactics Ogre (emulator), Ogre Battle (emulator),
Shadow Hearts (emulator), Shadow Hearts: Covenant (emulator), Lunar (emulator), Lunar: Eternal Blue (emulator), gonna stop there, as there's just way too many oldie RPGs with great stories/immersiveness to count).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 23:38   Link #10
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

The fable series sucks!!! i remember waiting for the first game to come out for years, they promised so much in the game, but when i finally got it you couldnt do jack shit in the story, sure theres a little change in the enviroment but thats it!! i was so damn dissapointed and it only took me 9 hrs to beat the whole thing.

Persona 3 now thats a great game with a great story, i prefer the PSP version of it since you can choose between mal/female main characters it just adds alot more dimension to it

The witcher 2 was a great game with actual choices lol i loved that game so i bought the first one after.......i gave up after an hr of playing, the combat was so shit it sucked the enjoyment right out of it for me

Definately try Knights of the Old Republic its the best game ive ever played and it also had the best damn twist i have ever seen ^^, only the first one though, the 2nd game was pathetic, not to mention the whole last bit of the game doesnt feel like they worked much on it, its like they gave up halfway through developing it and just threw it in the final product

Star ocean the last hope was good.......if you can ignore the corny lines

Im halfway through tales of graces and im loving it

Tales of vesperia was damn good too, if only they added some romance and it would of been my favourite game of all time

Final fantasy X is the best in the series 7 can bugger off for all i care...Aeris

Infinite Undiscovery is always great to play too, i love the MC in that, he starts like a coward than badass in the middle then........
Spoiler for im serious:
and turns into a hero
Old 2013-03-30, 23:52   Link #11
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
The Witcher 2. I'd also recommend The Witcher (first game), but the combat is...not noob friendly, and I know it turned a lot of normal rpg players away from an otherwise great game. I think you can get away with playing #2 without playing #1.

Hard for me to say, as the games are based on a world created in a bunch of novels. One could say the games are continuing the story from those novels, and I had read those novels prior to playing. There are definitely many things within both games only novel readers would get, but I wouldn't let that stop you. Most people who played the games almost certainly never read the novels.

There aren't a whole lot of deep, story-driven, immersive modern RPGs for the computer. A number of sandboxes (ie: Skyrim, Fallout 3/Vegas, etc-essentially little to no story, but a big sandbox to rpg out in). You've played DA and ME. There are a ton of things I disliked about DA 2, but I actually enjoyed the story, even if it made fanboys rage like a Hitler youtube clip.

Tons of older RPGs, but your posts seem to indicate you're looking for good graphics, so I won't bother recommending those (ie: Baldur's Gate I, II, and expansions, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, Anachronox, Jade Empire, NWN: Hordes of the Underdark, NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer, FF Tactics (emulator), Xenosaga/gears/blade (emulator), Tactics Ogre (emulator), Ogre Battle (emulator),
Shadow Hearts (emulator), Shadow Hearts: Covenant (emulator), Lunar (emulator), Lunar: Eternal Blue (emulator), gonna stop there, as there's just way too many oldie RPGs with great stories/immersiveness to count).
No, no! I couldn't care less about the graphics. Hell, I downloaded Dosbox so I could play Prince of Persia 1 on Windows 7

I will admit it does take a little time to adjust to graphics after playing high-end graphical games but, its hardly a problem. I'm currently desperately trying to find Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights - alas, gaming in my country translates to almost nothing. Add to that my dorm network is proxy based. So yeah, it will probably take a while before I get my hands on those two.

My roommate completed Witcher 2 recently so I know how....unusual the combat system is. Anyways, that's not the problem. The problem(for me) is that there are no companions. And you might understand that, after playing DA and ME its a bit difficult to play the game alone without all the delicious arguments going on around you Especially in a game like Witcher where the world is pretty big and there are lots of things you can do. It just gets too boring. One of the reasons why I dropped Skyrim. I just can't play that huge a game alone (virtually alone). Of course this is not a problem with all the games. My view is that, the game's tempo should be fast if it is to only have one main character.

Fortunately KOTOR is coming tomorrow courtesy to my roommate So there is still hope.

@Om Nerabdator - I'm most probably not going to get any of those games where I live - except for Final Fantasy maybe.

Last edited by Eragon; 2013-03-31 at 00:12.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 00:01   Link #12
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
only the first one though, the 2nd game was pathetic, not to mention the whole last bit of the game doesnt feel like they worked much on it, its like they gave up halfway through developing it and just threw it in the final product
The second one lets you corrupt and turn your companions into dark jedi, which is extremely cool; and KOTOR 2 features some great companions. As I mentioned there is the restored content mod that does much to fix a lot of what was wrong or missing with the original release... I've not taken the time to play through most of the mod, but the game should be especially well worth playing through now. Though one should still be expecting bugs and some jarring moments related to the mod.
Old 2013-03-31, 00:27   Link #13
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Just gonna throw my voice in support for the second KOTOR game. Frankly, as blasphemous as it is to say, I found its story far superior to the first (Bioware) KOTOR.

Kreia is still one of the best characters to have come out of the Starwars metaverse.

I feel like the game was plagued by hate because:

a) It wasn't Bioware
b) At release it was plagued with a TON of bugs

At this point, there's been plenty of fan patches to largely minimize 'b'.

As for your situation, is there anything stopping you from using a VPN when buying a game from a digital supplier (like Steam)? Granted, I have never been a non-American buying games, so I don't know if region locking is done based off your credit card address or your IP, but if it's IP, using a VPN to do the transaction should resolve that issue.

As for Witcher 2, it's not a sandbox, so I'm not sure where you're getting this impression that it's this large, open game. It's very much a tightly scripted story/character driven game.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 01:30   Link #14
ZaelART

Agree with points for KoTOR, great game, I also don't think you can go wrong with playing the sequel either, just use a community patch for bug fixes. I would highly recommend Never Winter Nights as well, another BioWare classic - play them all + expansions! These games are basically setting BioWare up with everything they need to make DA:O, but are also amazing games in their own right, and if they were made using current technology would likely be superior. Also, play Jade Empire for an interesting setting and fun combat.

It is a shame you couldn't get into Skyrim, there is literally so much to do in the world, it does require a certain amount of discipline to stick to any one path for any length of time - the beauty is that you can run off and start hunting deer for an hour for no reason in particular, just for the hell of it, which makes me rate it as seriously immersive. Companion-wise it is not fantastic, but because of how big and non-linear it is I imagine it is a very hard thing to do. If you tried it on PC, you should check out the mods, if there is anything you wanted to add to the game, you can probably search for it.

I would recommend Fallout: New Vegas as having much better companion characters if you care to try it, but again, it is a very open world experience.

Fable is horrible but has some fantastic ideas, especially player owned shops and housing. The morality system is even worse than ME though.

Torchlight 2 and Titan Quest are some great Diablo-esque games (with better graphics) if you like that kind of thing. Titan Quest has an interesting character development system. Though in such games loot and clicking furiously > story, they can still be a fun diversion.

In summary, play everything made by BioWare pre-EA games.
ZaelART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 01:55   Link #15
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

If you couldn't get into Skyrim, chances are you couldn't get into Fallout either, or any RPG Bethesda made. That's regrettable, because they are one of the more immersive RPGs.

Paradox made a game called Mount & Blade, where you control 1 customized character and is thrown in a pseudo European medieval world. You can adjust the realism level to make your character like from Dynasty Warriors or just cannon fodder that dies in two hits. You can also create an army of your own. There is no ultimate goal, but you could try to climb your way in a country's military and go to war against other countries.
Old 2013-07-05, 18:41   Link #16
Eragon
Still Alive

Okay, I admit I was being naive in not even giving Dragon Age 2 a chance. Now that I'm playing - currently in Act 2 - I have to admit, it is rather a good game. The areas are a bit repetetive (or rather are the same areas) but, the story so far has been interesting. It also helps that I absolutely love two out of the six companions. Merril is so freaking adorable!! Whoever did her VA is awesome. Isabella is just what I need in a party full of blokes with a stick up their asses XD I like her for the same reason I liked Zevran - she loves to get on people's nerves Also, the fact that she's a PIRATE!! I love pirates.The rest of the companions are good too. The fact that they have a stick up their asses just makes me appreciate Isabella more

Well, let's hope the rest of the game is as good as what I have played till now.
Old 2013-07-05, 21:12   Link #17
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I guess I'm more old school. (Of course, I still play my old Wizardy from the Apple II+ days).

I'd suggest getting an old copy of Final Fantasy 7.
I also liked Oblivion more then Skyrim.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 21:37   Link #18
Eragon
Still Alive

If Oblivion is like Skyrim, meaning companionless sandbox, then I don't think I can appreciate it. Bioware has spoiled me with companions. It's just too boring without companions.
Old 2013-07-05, 23:36   Link #19
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
If Oblivion is like Skyrim, meaning companionless sandbox, then I don't think I can appreciate it. Bioware has spoiled me with companions. It's just too boring without companions.
Well, there's mods like Vilja (companion with thousands of lines of voiced dialogue, with contributions from none other than Terry Pratchett lol)...
Old 2013-07-06, 05:15   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Merril is so freaking adorable!! Whoever did her VA is awesome. Isabella is just what I need in a party full of blokes with a stick up their asses.
Seducing Merril is rather fun since she seems naive but willing to learn.

As for Isabella, well I'll just call her enthusiastic. You have to have an iron will to get through the game without spending at least one session in bed with her.

If you do seduce Merril, make sure to leave her home if you visit the brothel. She gets pretty possessive and jealous as I recall.

Pairing Captain "the way it should be" Aveline with Isabella makes for some hilarious side dialogues. Merril with Fenris is always a tense affair given his hatred of mages. She holds her own against his onslaught though.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote