AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-26, 22:52   Link #1
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Souten Kouro

This is going to be spring 2009's manliest anime and you're just gonna have to deal with it.

Souten Kouro (alternate spelling Sōten Kōro; it means something like "Azure Sky Route") is a Madhouse production based on a 36-volume seinen manga (by King Gonta and Yi Hagin) that ran from 1994 to 2005. The manga is, in turn, based on ye olde Romance of the Three Kingdoms and is mainly about Cao Cao.

The anime is to be directed by Ashida Toyoo and Tsominaga Tsuneo; both gentlemen of the old school with experience from things like Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. The art director has some interesting experiences from Claymore and the Hellsing OAV as well.

Cao Cao himself will be voiced by Miyano Mamoru of Gundam 00 (Setsuna) and Death Note (Light) fame.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 11:53   Link #2
musouka

This is one of the series I'm tentatively looking forward to the most, since I absolutely love the manga.

On the other hand, that sound you just heard was my scream of anguish after hearing Miyano was to be voicing Cao Cao. (Don't get me wrong, I think Miyano is quite talented, but he is the absolute last person I'd have expected to be voicing him)
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 14:15   Link #3
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

not getting a lot of love here.

I am wondering when they will do the Ravage of Time Anime

Edit: Are they going to put his in Ep1?

Spoiler for GRAPHIC:

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2009-04-02 at 15:46.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 16:39   Link #4
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not getting a lot of love here.
insert some snide insult/joke about (people not watching (good|manly) shows anymore|anime fans not being very manly|something else) here
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2009-04-03, 17:43   Link #5
musouka

Well, Souten Kouro is "manly", but that's really not all there is to it. The characterization and story are really compelling, since it's a lot of fun to take the Three Kingdoms and restructure the plot as being sympathetic to Cao Cao and his goals.

I really think that even if you don't like "manly" anime and manga, there's so much to enjoy about it. Hell, I'd define myself as a shoujo manga freak more than anything, and I'd still put this series on my top ten.

Which is why I'm so nervous about the anime butchering it with a low budget and voices that don't suit the characters.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2009-04-03, 21:20   Link #6
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I came across a table showing character design of Three Kingdoms heroes from various Japanese manga, anime and games. I found the comparisons interesting, so I translated the names and titles. Click on the thumbnail to see the full-size image (which isn't really that large, but large enough):

I rather like the Souten Kouro manga images, even though there is a bit of sameness to them, but it looks from the preview as if they have been homogenized a bit for the anime.

Anyway, since I've long thought it would have been better for China in real life if Cao Cao had won outright, I am looking forward to the Souten Kouro take on things.

I'm not really familiar with all the image sources. "Koei" refers to the Koei Sangokushi game series. "Sangoku Musou" is another Koei series. Then there is the Yokoyama Sangokushi manga. Then there's the Souten Kouro manga, the Ikkitousen anime, and the Koihime Musou anime. And finally the Sangoku Taisen card game. I think.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 22:51   Link #7
denice25

something to look forward t.. so excited to see it!
denice25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 00:28   Link #8
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I rather like the Souten Kouro manga images, even though there is a bit of sameness to them, but it looks from the preview as if they have been homogenized a bit for the anime.
Thanks for the link. Before that, it had never occurred to me to do a search for Souten Kouro on NicoNico. Now I'm just sorry I didn't do it sooner!
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2009-04-06, 19:41   Link #9
EmilScherbe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Thanks for the link. Before that, it had never occurred to me to do a search for Souten Kouro on NicoNico. Now I'm just sorry I didn't do it sooner!
The last one about Xun Yu's death is excellent.
EmilScherbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 12:19   Link #10
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Well, episode one certainly kept my attention. The story moved well, and I loved some of the background animation. And the music.
Spoiler for ep1:
I think this is the good Madhouse.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-04-08 at 16:55.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 05:27   Link #11
Tri-ring

Why so little comment when the movie(Red Cliff) is doing so well?

After all it is based on the same novel.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 21:16   Link #12
EmilScherbe1

Judging from OP this show will be completed at Battle of Guandu.

Cao Cao
(Battle of Guandu)
(left to right)Xiahou Dun, Cao Ren, Cao Cao, Xiahou Yuan, Cao Hong, Xu Huang, Yue Jin, Dian Wei, Zhang Liao
Suisho (an original char, should be called Shuijing here ?)
Cao Cao
Guo Jia
Xun Yu
Cao Cao
Xiahou Dun
Liu Bei
Guan Yu
Zhang Fei
Guan Yu
Zhang Fei
Zhang Liao, Guan Yu
Zhuge Liang (boyhood)
Zhao Yun
Sun Quan (boyhood)
Zhou Yu, Sun Ce
Sun Jian
Jia Xu
Dong Zhou
Lu Bu
(Battle of Hulao Pass)
Yuan Shao
Cao Cao
Xu Chu
Cao Cao
Old 2009-04-11, 11:25   Link #13
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Episode 1 Screenshots
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 02:44   Link #14
EmilScherbe1

Major Tanaka Atsuko take Cao Cao's wife Lady Bian role in episode 6 "The blue sky has perished".
Old 2009-04-13, 02:58   Link #15
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilScherbe1 View Post
Major Tanaka Atsuko take Cao Cao's wife Lady Bian role in episode 6 "The blue sky has perished".
Holy crap!

I don't believe it. That's very interesting.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 04:55   Link #16
scr
my sides are in orbit

This anime is on my watchlist now.
eh what do you expect; MADHOUSE made Highlander movie, Kurozuka, etc. All of them with considerable amount of bloody mayhem.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 09:06   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Browsing for subs at fansubwiki lists only Kesenai for this show. Perhaps one of the seventeen thousand groups doing Eden of the East might consider relocating some resources in this direction? (This isn't a criticism of Kesenai in any way; I haven't watched the other shows they've subbed.) Given the high level of excitement among the commentators here, not to mention the subject matter, I'd have thought this show would attract more interest among subbers.

[rant]I will say I find it a bit ridiculous, and annoying, that other Noitamina shows like Genji are starved for subbers, yet we now have ten versions of Eden episode one.[/rant]
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 11:19   Link #18
TheFluff

It is being worked on by someone who isn't kesenai, but it's stupidly hard to translate (apparently, I'm not a translator). Doesn't air with closed captions either.

Old 2009-04-17, 12:45   Link #19
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
It is being worked on by someone who isn't kesenai, but it's stupidly hard to translate (apparently, I'm not a translator). Doesn't air with closed captions either.
It's very hard to translate. Easily the most difficult show in a while; the source material is just as dense. Still totally worth it, but not easy by any means.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2009-04-18, 10:23   Link #20
itisjustme

This feels pretty low budget, unfortunately. The "animation" mostly consists of the camera panning over/some dynamic effects added to still images. :/
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, seinen