AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-12, 01:00   Link #14741
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
White House: we "win the future" by making ISPs into copyright cops

The White House likes the newly announced "six strikes" voluntary agreement announced today between major copyright holders and Internet access providers. That's no surprise—the US administration helped to broker the deal.

"The joining of Internet service providers and entertainment companies in a cooperative effort to combat online infringement can further this goal [of supporting jobs and exports] and we commend them for reaching this agreement," said Victoria Espinel, US Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator, in a statement today. "We believe it will have a significant impact on reducing online piracy." .....
Wait, Does this mean I will have to be much more careful when downloading movies now??? =(
Old 2011-07-12, 02:02   Link #14742
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
News Corp may be at risk for U.S. probe over bribery
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76A6PH20110712

As if the phone-hacking scandal in Britain wasn't enough .
You know every time I look at Fox New's website I keep seeing nothing about this news corp scandal...

Meanwhile everywhere else I look has some kind of mention on the front page.
Old 2011-07-12, 03:54   Link #14743
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2...epic-meal-time

From what Evil Rick said about Epic Meal Time videos that how gross it that is,

I wonder how kids will react of their videos?
Old 2011-07-12, 04:03   Link #14744
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
New Hampshire Planned Parenthood stops providing birth control

"If they want to have a good time, why not let them pay for it?"
(Raymond Wieczorek of Manchester)

and in New Jersey...

Governor Christie Veto of Planned Parenthood Tax-Funds Upheld
I think my brain just exploded...
Old 2011-07-12, 07:09   Link #14745
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Julian Assange back in court to fight extradition
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-12-07-40-31
Old 2011-07-12, 07:29   Link #14746
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I think my brain just exploded...
Well, we need more children to fill all these jobs illegals are taking.

With cuts to education and other social benefits, they'd be perfect replacements!
Old 2011-07-12, 12:45   Link #14747
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
New Hampshire Planned Parenthood stops providing birth control

"If they want to have a good time, why not let them pay for it?"
(Raymond Wieczorek of Manchester)

and in New Jersey...

Governor Christie Veto of Planned Parenthood Tax-Funds Upheld
Birth control is only a small amount of what they do. The attack on planned parenthood come out to be more an attack on healthcare for poor women, whether by ignorance of the actual functions, or design. Not to mention the attack on birth control is idiotic in the first place.
Old 2011-07-12, 13:01   Link #14748
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Birth control is only a small amount of what they do. The attack on planned parenthood come out to be more an attack on healthcare for poor women, whether by ignorance of the actual functions, or design. Not to mention the attack on birth control is idiotic in the first place.
At some point in various debates, most people realize that one faction isn't simply "expressing one point of view" but that they're actually ignorant and unprepared to participate in the discussion. Their "facts" aren't... their "world view" doesn't match reality. The other alternative assessment is actually much less charitable to them.
Old 2011-07-12, 13:02   Link #14749
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

If this article is true, then the US tax system is certainly broken.

It pays to be Murdoch: Just ask the U.S. government

Quote:
Rupert Murdoch may not garner as much attention for his financial savvy as he does for his journalistic escapades, which last week led to the shuttering of Britain’s oldest tabloid. But that doesn’t make his money management any less impressive.

Indeed, when it comes to taxes, instead of rendering unto Caesar, Murdoch has Caesar rendering unto him.

Over the past four years Murdoch’s U.S.-based News Corp. has made money on income taxes. Having earned $10.4 billion in profits, News Corp. would have been expected to pay $3.6 billion at the 35 percent corporate tax rate. Instead, it actually collected $4.8 billion in income tax refunds, all or nearly all from the U.S. government (see chart).

The relevant figure is the cash paid tax rate. This is the net amount of corporate income taxes actually paid after refunds. For those four years, it was minus 46 percent, disclosure statements show.

Even on an accounting basis, which measures taxes incurred but often not actually paid for years, News Corp. had a tax rate of under 20 percent, little more than half the 35 percent statutory rate, company disclosures examined by Reuters show. News Corp. had no comment.

Fox News, the editorial pages of his Wall Street Journal and other Murdoch outlets often rail against taxes. Their attacks on government benefits for the elderly, the sick, the jobless and children focus attention on the uses of tax dollars and away from his aggressive efforts to enjoy the benefits of civilization without paying for them.

Many other companies may follow similar practices but most of corporate America doesn’t own one of the country’s most powerful newspaper editorial pages.

AS EASY AS ONE, TWO, THREE

How does Murdoch make money off the tax system? There are three basic elements, disclosure statements show.

One is the aggressive use of intra-company transactions that globally allocate costs to locations that impose taxes — and profits to areas where profits can be earned tax-free.

For that Murdoch can thank laws and treaties that treat multinational corporations much more generously than working stiffs, such as those who make up the audience for his New York Post and for his British tabloids with bare-breasted women. Working stiffs have their taxes taken out of their pay before they get it, while Murdoch gets to profit now and pay taxes by-and-by.

News Corp. has 152 subsidiaries in tax havens, including 62 in the British Virgin Islands and 33 in the Caymans. Among the hundred largest U.S. companies, only Citigroup and Morgan Stanley have more tax haven subsidiaries than News Corp., a 2009 U.S. Government Accountability Office study found.

News Corp. had nearly $7 billion permanently invested offshore in 2009, money on which it does not have to pay taxes unless it brings the money back to the United States. Meanwhile, it can use that money as collateral for loans in the United States, where interest paid is a tax-deductible expense.

WHEN IS A LOSS NOT A LOSS?

Buying companies with tax losses is a second way Murdoch can pocket, rather than pay, taxes. In three deals to acquire American television stations — in 1985, 1990 and 2001 — questions were raised about whether Murdoch entities were in compliance with American rules limiting the ownership stakes of foreign investors.

A memo, turned over to the Federal Communications Commission during one of these inquiries, showed that in 1990 Murdoch’s advisers were, in the words of Michael Gardner, an outside counsel to News Corp., “in agreement that it is paramount to avoid any corporate restructuring which would potentially invite reexamination of Fox TV’s ownership structure” by the FCC.

In 1995, the FCC general counsel, William Kennard, said that a two-year investigation requested by rival NBC and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) found that “Fox did not clearly or explicitly disclose” News Corp.’s ownership stake in American television stations as required. However, Kennard said this lack of candor was insufficient to require a hearing into whether Fox had intended to deceive the commission.

In contrast to News Corp.’s aggressive tax and regulatory strategies stands The New York Times Company, which in 1993 bought the Boston Globe in a way that did not allow it to deduct its goodwill, as is standard practice today. The Times company has paid a cash tax rate of 71 percent over the last decade, more than twice the statutory corporate income tax rate of 35 percent. That is because while most companies, like News Corp., get to take more generous deductions on their tax accounts than their shareholder accounts, the terms of the Globe deal left the Times company in the opposite position: required to deduct the Globe’s intangible values for shareholder accounting, but not allowed to deduct it for tax purposes.

TAXES SAVED ARE TAXES EARNED

Third, Murdoch’s tax lawyers are expert at maximizing the benefits of deferrals. Incurring a tax today, but paying it by-and-by can be profitable. A dollar of tax deferred for 30 years, and invested at 8 percent real growth while inflation runs 3 percent, is worth more than $10 at the end of the period, while the real value of the tax when it is ultimately paid is just 40 cents.

Last year News Corp. had net future tax assets of $3.3 billion. In the past four years News Corp. has either used up a lot of its tax benefits or had them expire. In 2007 its net tax assets were $5.7 billion.

(Thomson Reuters paid a cash tax rate of 12.9 percent in the last four years. Reuters is the Thomson Reuters news and media division.)

Murdoch assiduously courts the powers-that-be for favorable laws and regulatory rulings. Contrast that with the rough and sometimes relentless attacks on politicians and government programs of his newspapers and his Fox News Channel.

Murdoch’s news outlets can prove enormously helpful to politicians. His support boosted Hillary Clinton’s 2000 campaign for the U.S. Senate from New York, helping her to beat Republican Rick Lazio. Murdoch even hosted a Clinton re-election campaign fundraiser in 2006, while restraining New York Post gossip mongers who looked on her husband as red meat in the White House.

Murdoch gets invited to weddings and celebrations of top American, British and Chinese officials. He flew Tony Blair halfway around the world to a company event in Australia when the future British prime minister was opposition leader.

Imagine how well Jesus might have done if he had put a corporate jet at Caesar’s disposal. Or if he had a tabloid like the News of the World to put Caesar in fear of him.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-07-12, 13:54   Link #14750
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

To continue the Murdoch saga:
Quote:

Phone hacking: MPs to vote on News Corporation's BSkyB bid

Government expected to back vote tomorrow on Labour motion urging News Corporation boss Rupert Murdoch to withdraw his bid to take over the whole of BSkyB.
It seems that Parliament has finally come out to say they don't want a British Fox News. Good show!

It seems Murdoch will be under attack from all directions.
Old 2011-07-12, 14:25   Link #14751
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
To continue the Murdoch saga:

It seems that Parliament has finally come out to say they don't want a British Fox News. Good show!

It seems Murdoch will be under attack from all directions.
Well I don't know, but he helped put a few good people into leadership posts around the world like Margaret Thatcher, but it is after that he had taken up a US citizenship had he become like that.

I don't mind Murdoch's media empire crumble to dust. Just don't touch Marketwatch.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-07-12, 14:34   Link #14752
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island creator Sherwood Schwartz dies at 94.

Thanks for the entertainment Mr. Schwartz.
Old 2011-07-12, 17:58   Link #14753
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well I don't know, but he helped put a few good people into leadership posts around the world like Margaret Thatcher, but it is after that he had taken up a US citizenship had he become like that.
Not everyone will agree with you there!
Old 2011-07-12, 18:03   Link #14754
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Wait, Does this mean I will have to be much more careful when downloading movies now??? =(
yes, but the 'six strikes' thing wont be in effect until it gets approved in nine months. They wont ban you, they will just suspend your internet until you stop illegally downloading.
Old 2011-07-12, 19:59   Link #14755
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Just don't use torrents for MPAA/RIAA controlled IPs and you're fine. I doubt very seriously they will care that we download fansubs (unless, of course, you're downloading licensed properties and/or anything Funimation has its claws into).
Old 2011-07-12, 20:23   Link #14756
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
yes, but the 'six strikes' thing wont be in effect until it gets approved in nine months. They wont ban you, they will just suspend your internet until you stop illegally downloading.
Um.. If they suspend you - by definition you've stopped "downloading". If you're like many who actually HAVE ONLY ONE choice in broadband in the "USA, land of last-mile hell" -- you are indeed screwed unless you just enjoy wifi-nomading from coffeeshop to library and back.

I haven't seen any thing in the bill about being "blacklisted" or "bad boy' sharing between ISPs.

I'll just note that Usenet is off the grid for many people anymore... waiting to see when IRC gets targeted.
Old 2011-07-12, 21:13   Link #14757
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Um.. If they suspend you - by definition you've stopped "downloading". If you're like many who actually HAVE ONLY ONE choice in broadband in the "USA, land of last-mile hell" -- you are indeed screwed unless you just enjoy wifi-nomading from coffeeshop to library and back.

I haven't seen any thing in the bill about being "blacklisted" or "bad boy' sharing between ISPs.

I'll just note that Usenet is off the grid for many people anymore... waiting to see when IRC gets targeted.
"thanks to wonderful anti-monopoly laws in America" - Kevin Pereira

Top Company's Volunteering
Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, and Time Warner Cable,

Attack of the Show Interview
this short video explains it.
Old 2011-07-12, 21:53   Link #14758
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Phone-hacking: US senator requests probe

And it begins.
Old 2011-07-12, 21:54   Link #14759
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The U.S. Treasury will not default

Quote:
Update: On CNBC last week, Warren Buffett had a very good comment:

I could end the deficit in 5 minutes. You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP all sitting members of congress are ineligible for reelection.
Epic win, Mr Buffett.

Old 2011-07-12, 21:58   Link #14760
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

I suspect the ISPs will be mostly disinterested in actually punishing anyone... except the bandwidth hogs. I'm almost certain the ISPs agreed to this deal because it allows them to scapegoat the content gatekeepers when they terminate the service of people who actually use the bandwidth they pay for...

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international