AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-02, 01:38   Link #22121
Burden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Yes, because if the Number 3 Level 5 is constantly being shown getting beaten up, then it would kinda be a useless title wouldn't it?
Never is not constantly! Mikoto hasn't technically lost to anyone but Kamijou and possibly Accelerator (fight never finished but we would have known the result). That's 24 novels of plot armor! I still have to hold the opinion that "Level 5" is just not a legitimate excuse to never lose given all the cheating insufferable bastards in-series. Well, luckily, Kamachi hasn't opened this can of worms and has decided it more prompt to keep her out of plot-driving battles in Kamijou's story.
Old 2013-01-02, 01:43   Link #22122
Acer
Death to the infidels!

I summarize what I think about it, and I have the impression that besides not get anywhere, yet we lose precious hours of sleep. as a last comment, God bless lesbians! and and this week pass fast.
Old 2013-01-02, 01:47   Link #22123
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
Never is not constantly! Mikoto hasn't technically lost to anyone but Kamijou and possibly Accelerator (fight never finished but we would have known the result). That's 24 novels of plot armor! I still have to hold the opinion that "Level 5" is just not a legitimate excuse to never lose given all the cheating insufferable bastards in-series. Well, luckily, Kamachi hasn't opened this can of worms and has decided it more prompt to keep her out of plot-driving battles in Kamijou's story.
In those 24 volumes, how much focus was being put on Mikoto? You make it sound like she had been busy all that time but that's not true is it? How many incidents was she directly involved that require her to fight?

Both of you keep using the term plot armor but I don't think you know what it means. To use the television trope example:

Quote:
If Superman survives a bullet to the eye, that's just him using his powers. Superman is Nigh Invulnerable. If Indiana Jones does, that's plot armor.
Having not get involved in a serious fight to begin with, is not plot armor.
Old 2013-01-02, 01:54   Link #22124
Burden

It's plot armor exactly because her abilities are inadequate to survive the Toaru universe. Sure she isn't a PIVOTAL point of the plot but, given her in-story desires to get more involved but getting shafted each time by Kamachi (God), is giving her plot armor.
What Acer and I are discussing is the situation in which the Mikoto vs Brunhild fight happens and Mikoto wins because she's Mikoto. Given the way her role in-universe has been it is what will likely happen.
Old 2013-01-02, 02:01   Link #22125
Stufu

well, in fact, Index has never been injured badly (except memory loss before the series begin) and no one complain about it...I think both of them get what so called "Plot armor" in the series...

Don't take it too serious man, if Mikoto fight and win so, that's it, no complain. If she does get hurt badly, so what can we do LOL

So, I think we should just wait and see what will happen in NT6
Old 2013-01-02, 02:02   Link #22126
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
It's plot armor exactly because her abilities are inadequate to survive the Toaru universe. Sure she isn't a PIVOTAL point of the plot but, given her in-story desires to get more involved but getting shafted each time by Kamachi (God), is giving her plot armor.
Now you're just making up rules on the spot.

You say her abilities are 'inadequate to survive' yet she has persevered through a number of incidents. If you're saying she can't survived the most dangerous of incidents, then I guess countless other characters have plot armor as well right? Hamazura has plot armor then.

Hamazura was injured, but never seriously injured.

Quote:
What Acer and I are discussing is the situation in which the Mikoto vs Brunhild fight happens and Mikoto wins because she's Mikoto. Given the way her role in-universe has been it is what will likely happen.
So you've already decided that no matter what she do, you're going to call it plot armor?
Old 2013-01-02, 02:09   Link #22127
Stufu

Quote:
the situation in which the Mikoto vs Brunhild fight happens and Mikoto wins because she's Mikoto. Given the way her role in-universe has been it is what will likely happen.
I think if you guys have a problem to let Mikoto survive, then you should tell the writer that she is inadequate to survive the Toaru universe.....

Man, what's the problem with her going around? I don't hate her nor Index nor any other characters.. so just keep things cool and be neutral
Old 2013-01-02, 02:49   Link #22128
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Now you're just making up rules on the spot.

You say her abilities are 'inadequate to survive' yet she has persevered through a number of incidents. If you're saying she can't survived the most dangerous of incidents, then I guess countless other characters have plot armor as well right? Hamazura has plot armor then.

Hamazura was injured, but never seriously injured.

So you've already decided that no matter what she do, you're going to call it plot armor?
Well, like the saying goes, rabid hater and rabid fanboys/fangirls are two sides of the same coin, the coin of irrationality . If there's anyone should be accused of having plot armor, it should be our Kamijou-san himself. I mean, which normal teenage boy can survive from gunshot wounds, free fall from high-places, multiple cuts from fight, and still manage to punch a sermon into his enemies
Old 2013-01-02, 03:06   Link #22129
Twi

Oohh...a debate on plot armor, the right hand, and the shorttank.
*Sits down with popcorn*
Continue.
Old 2013-01-02, 03:50   Link #22130
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Oohh...a debate on plot armor, the right hand, and the shorttank.
*Sits down with popcorn*
Continue.
You sure this is a debate? I'm seeing unwarranted justifications.

In other words, if you're not the author, don't try to make excuses for what happens in the story.

*Refills popcorn, sips Teh Ping*
Old 2013-01-02, 03:53   Link #22131
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Mikoto has been injured at least 10,031 times. Think about it. The worst wounds do not break the skin, but crumbles the mind.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-01-02, 04:23   Link #22132
jalvin_billster1091
Arcaneus Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Mikoto has been injured at least 10,031 times. Think about it. The worst wounds do not break the skin, but crumbles the mind.
But didn't it take Touma, coming to her rescue, solve most of her initial "Major" problems? All she has to worry about is her friends getting involved with her problems.
So most of her mental scars, while they lingle around still, they wouldn't have the same effect as is she was to ignore the incident
Old 2013-01-02, 04:27   Link #22133
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvin_billster1091 View Post
But didn't it take Touma, coming to her rescue, solve most of her initial "Major" problems? All she has to worry about is her friends getting involved with her problems.
So most of her mental scars, while they lingle around still, they wouldn't have the same effect as is she was to ignore the incident
You're down playing everything that had happen before because Kamijou helped her?
Old 2013-01-02, 04:35   Link #22134
jalvin_billster1091
Arcaneus Magi

Quote:
You're down playing everything that had happen before because Kamijou helped her?
Hmm..... now that i thinks about it I think i have to some extent, I'm sure she was past breaking point when she found out that new institutes took over the project on the 20th of August.
But her (negative) Emotions were dampened since she thought she stopped the project.
But i guess being a Level 5 there is always some mental instability.
Old 2013-01-02, 04:46   Link #22135
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvin_billster1091 View Post
But i guess being a Level 5 there is always some mental instability.
You only mention/realize this now?. When you look at the six level 5's(who we know) collectively, Mikoto and Misaki are the most normal of the bunch. The others are almost beyond mental instability in my book. Except maybe Sogita since he's on the fine, thin line between hot-headed idiot and just plain crazy. I pray that the sixth level 5, when revealed, will be sane-ish.
Old 2013-01-02, 04:51   Link #22136
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
^ Even if it's Aogami someone else who's... in various ways, insane?

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2013-01-02, 04:52   Link #22137
jalvin_billster1091
Arcaneus Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
You only mention/realize this now?. When you look at the six level 5's(who we know) collectively, Mikoto and Misaki are the most normal of the bunch. The others are almost beyond mental instability in my book. Except maybe Sogita since he's on the fine, thin line between hot-headed idiot and just plain crazy. I pray that the sixth level 5, when revealed, will be sane-ish.
Valid point!
Old 2013-01-02, 04:59   Link #22138
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
Kakine is mentally unstable?
Old 2013-01-02, 05:04   Link #22139
judasmartel
*Author

Oh shi-! Did I just open a can of worms in here?
Old 2013-01-02, 05:06   Link #22140
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:
Kakine is mentally unstable?
He's a Homicidal Maniac powered by pride and jealousy of Accelerator. He wants to take Accelerator's position in Aliester's plan to the point that he may be obsessed with it. He is Almost like Sena from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai who stares at pictures of Yozora plastered on her walls and ceiling while sniffing a wig that Yozora wore while looking forward to/plotting the day she(Sena) has her revenge on her(Yozora). Also, there is NO PLOT ARMOR on Misaka.

P.S. seeing as NT6 will be over 400 pages should I assume that Teh_Ping-sama will be helping with the translation?
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen