AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-08-17, 05:03   Link #261
Myname

Where have I seen that type of ending sequence before?

You know, the part where she's running along happily while the camera slowly pans to her face and she turns her face around then her whole body with a twirling dance type of pose and it just freezes.
Myname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 08:37   Link #262
keikkaishi

For the Chinese version of the novel, could someone tell me the name of the publishers? Also how many manga volumes so far?

Thank You
keikkaishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 07:47   Link #263
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
This is the Royal We construct - a first-person pronoun used by royalty.
I dont think anyone is going to contradict you on this, but with small remark - European royalty, not world-wide. And for Chinese-like culture the use of "we" sounds really awkward.
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 11:12   Link #264
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot
I dont think anyone is going to contradict you on this, but with small remark - European royalty, not world-wide. And for Chinese-like culture the use of "we" sounds really awkward.
Actually, in imperial China, emperors do use a personal pronoun similar to the Royal We. The exact pronoun is: 朕 (pinyin: zhen4). The standard first-person pronoun 'I' in Chinese is different; however I cannot reproduce the character right now because the machine I am currently posting on does not support Chinese/Japanese IME. I will reproduce it once I have access to a computer which does support Chinese/Japanese IME.

For your convenience, I have enclosed a previous post that I have written in regards to the Royal We:

--- Start Transmission ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acespeedy
I just have a question concerning some of the translations on the series. I've noticed that the emperor sometimes refers to himself as "we" instead of "I". Is this right?
This is known as the Royal We construct. [ Wikipedia link ]. It is a first-person pronoun restricted to royalty (e.g. Queen Elizabeth II). In the original Japanese, Ryuuki refers to himself as 余 (romaji: yo); this is a first-person pronoun used by nobility to refer to themselves, so we have chosen to translate it into the Royal We. If we were translating to Chinese instead of to English - the Chinese title we'd use would be 朕 (pinyin: zhen4) - 朕 being the first-person pronoun traditionally used by Chinese emperors.

Spoiler for Episode 3, 4 - as well as spoiler warning about Ryuuki's exiled elder brother:

--- End Transmission ---

Hope that helps!

(Edited to add a link to Wikipedia's article on the Emperor of China:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_of_China)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia, Emperor of China article, Styles, names and forms of address section, Paragraph 1
As the emperor had, by law, a high position challenged by no one else, his subjects were to show the utmost respect in his presence, whether it included direct conversation or otherwise. In a conversation with the emperor, it was considered a crime to compare oneself to the emperor in any way. It was taboo to refer to the emperor by his given name, even if it came from his own mother, who instead was to use Huangdi (Emperor), or Er (simply "son"). The emperor was never to be addressed as you. The emperor referred to himself as Zhen (朕) in front of his subjects. Anyone who spoke to the emperor was to address him as Bixia (陛下), translated as "Your Imperial Majesty"; Huang Shang (皇上, lit. Emperor Above or Emperor Highness), Wan Sui (萬歲, lit. Ten thousand years, which was commonly used by his subjects at the beginning of each day), or Sheng Shang (聖上, lit. the Divine Above or the Holy Highness). Servants often addressed the emperor as Wan Sui Ye (萬歲爺, lit. Lord of Ten Thousand Years).
Of course, Saiunkoku contradicts the "It was taboo to refer to the emperor by his given name" rule - but then it's because Ryuuki personally asked Shuurei to refer to him by his given name...)

(Edited again to add, now that I have access to a Chinese/Japanese input enabled computer: The first-person pronoun 'I', in Chinese, is 我 (pinyin: wo3). )

Last edited by Yaoi_Pocky; 2006-08-22 at 18:02.
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 11:13   Link #265
ryublade

Regarding calling Ryuuki's name, it was probably because it was a personal request which was supposed to be used when they're alone or with close friends. Also, during the Tang dynasty which Saiunkoku is loosely based on, relations between the emperor and the high ranking noble families were a bit more casual than in other dynasties. There have even been mention that Tang emperors have been known to serve tea to his own high ranking officials with his own hands! Probably because the members of the noble families have about as much or more power than the imperial family so relations were more equal?
ryublade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 17:01   Link #266
Rarity

Thanks to WS for the new ep.

What is the difference between the basic examination and the imperial examination?
Rarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-22, 22:45   Link #267
miaka

basic examination vs imperial examination...

imperial civil service exam can be classified into 3 stages such as local, provincial and national examination. Local exam is done in home town every year. A person can joined provincial exam, if he passed the local exam which was done every 3 years in provincial capital. After passing provincial exam, he can joined national exam which is held every 3 years also in the country's capital. In Shuurei's case, she didn't took the first two stages because she was recomended directly by Reishin, who is senior secretary of department of civil affair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese...ce_examination
miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-25, 16:19   Link #268
Rosepetal

I stumbled across this series earlier this month and now I'm addicted! It's wonderful!! I'm so glad I picked up Newtype USA, since that is where I saw the write-up and art for it.

I'm really hoping to makes it across to R1, I know I'll buy it. I did the same with Twelve Kingdoms, another favorite of mine.
Rosepetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-26, 12:00   Link #269
Codex

I see a Shadow Dreams fansub of episode 1 available on animesuki now. She actually has the later episodes subbed as well (10-15 or 16, I think?), if you do a bit of searching.
Codex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-27, 14:14   Link #270
Magallanes
Oshiete Happiness

She (the consort) is some sort of Chidori (full metal panic). Anyways, whithou she, this anime will be a yaoi serie.

Magallanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-27, 21:45   Link #271
poisonakki

Shadow Dreams will be releasing english subbed torrents of saiunkoku 10-16 in the upcoming days so watch out for the torrent releases.
The episodes have been fansubbed for a while but she finally figured out how to distribute the torrents for the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex
I see a Shadow Dreams fansub of episode 1 available on animesuki now. She actually has the later episodes subbed as well (10-15 or 16, I think?), if you do a bit of searching.
poisonakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-27, 23:53   Link #272
Masayume
正夢

Send a message via AIM to Masayume Send a message via Yahoo to Masayume
Yay for joining forums for the purpose of one series!

I randomly discovered this anime when I found postcards of it for sale at a small booth in the dealers room at Anime Expo this year. It caught my eye because of Shuurei's beautiful courtier garb and the attention to detail and I'm big into the Chinese themed series' ^^;;;;

This show screams shoujo and I'm always up for good shoujo, though I must say that I'm depressed by the lack of interest generated in it by fansubbing groups. I've watched all three versions of episode one, and Ayu by far did the best job, though it seems they've stopped working on the series. I guess beggers can't be choosers though and thankfully I can understand Japanese so subs so much don't matter ^^

I really came here though to ask about episode three. No one has it, and it seems rather odd to me. I noticed We Suck (strangest name ever and it made me nervous downloading from them) mentioned they would re-release it, but why pull it down all together? I've been out of the fansubbing loop for a while since it's been at least two years since I stopped translating, but does anyone know where I could get it? Raw or subbed, I don't really care I would just like to see it since it really bothers me having to skip any episodes. And apparently I totally missed something. So if anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it!

*bows*
Masayume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 09:09   Link #273
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

1-10 has been subbed and but raws are available up to 17. (i only watched up to 16)
it's a very nice anime. i love the 1st arc. i hope they would sustain that kind of pace... if not then it would be disappointing! hehe

btw, we suck fansubs are nice. i have all the 10 eps... but i don't seed bec. this is not my laptop...
horsdhaleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-28, 13:05   Link #274
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

There is a wonderful pair of raws out of an event called "The World of Saiunkoku Monogatari." It features Kuwashima Houko and Tomokazu Seki (Shuurei and the king) on stage in front of a large and delighted audience. Kuwashima-san comes across as such a nice person. The files are by l33t-raws.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 01:00   Link #275
Rosepetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex
Thanks for the lead - I found their site and they're up to episode 16 now. Wow, what a rush! I got to see six new episodes in two days...Would have been quicker, but the download sites were hard to get access to; one kept telling me that no free spaces for downloading were available and the other only allows one download every 3 hours or so from the same computer (?) so I had to keep trying both to get to those episodes...good thing it was the weekend!
Now I hoping that new stuff someone's already posted about will get subbed. It sounds like some of the bonus material from the first Japanese DVD release? Would that be right?
Rosepetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 06:36   Link #276
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
There is a wonderful pair of raws out of an event called "The World of Saiunkoku Monogatari." It features Kuwashima Houko and Tomokazu Seki (Shuurei and the king) on stage in front of a large and delighted audience. Kuwashima-san comes across as such a nice person. The files are by l33t-raws.
And to think she was the same voice actor as Fllay Allster and Stellar Loussier, two 'not that pleasant' characters.

Watched up to episode 10. I wouldn't say it's excellent, but it's rather good and definitely worth one's time.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-29, 15:51   Link #277
registerAgain

I am enjoying this series so far. But some minor details in the background is not ancient-chinese like. For example, the handles of the chest of drawers is Western style. Ancient china do not have handles like that. Also, Shuurei, being a consort of the King should never be allowed to leave the palace. Even when a king is displeased with his consort, he would just put her into the "Cold palace". There has been cases where consorts were allowed to leave, but that's only if the king never slept with them. So its very odd that Shuurei was allowed to leave, she could be pregnant with a heir to the thrown (the others don't know that nothing really happened).

But since it is not based on a real dynasty in China, I guess we can overlook these minor details.
registerAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-30, 05:33   Link #278
NeoSam

Volume 11 of the josei light novel Saiunkoku Monogatari will be released on September 1st, 2006.

Here its cover:

All the available light novels and manga can be seen in this post.
Old 2006-09-02, 19:39   Link #279
Sakuya
*Artist

I'm very surprised at how low-ranked people treat the Emperor. So incredibly surprised. Normally they would all get punished for speaking that way to the Emperor.

Thanks to the new sub group, I've now finished 16 episodes! And, what exactly is the "World of Saiunkoku" segment? Is it a live action drama or is it just a cast interview sort of thing?
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 01:03   Link #280
mytrivo
A Sucker for Romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
And, what exactly is the "World of Saiunkoku" segment? Is it a live action drama or is it just a cast interview sort of thing?
I don't know Japanese, but I watched part of it anyway. It seems a "meet the VA" show.
mytrivo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, madhouse