AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-03-25, 13:58   Link #1
karuroso

External hdd problem

Today my external hdd started to show a strange problem, I can't seem to be able to transfer big files from it to another hdd (but small ones like 3xxmb are going but slow) when I try, at first goes normally but then stops and the hdd also stops to be recognized and I have to replug the usb port again, however the strange is that the hdd is receiving normally files of any size and with the usual speed the problem only appears when I try to transfer from it to another hdd D=

ps:all hdds are in NTFS
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 23:58   Link #2
Alchemist007
*Author

Does it do the same for any usb port or other computers even? I'm no expert but it sounds like it could be some kind of reading issue, the write sounds to be functioning fine. But yeah if it's not a connection or configuration issue, then the drive could be failing.
Old 2013-03-26, 00:02   Link #3
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
Today my external hdd started to show a strange problem, I can't seem to be able to transfer big files from it to another hdd (but small ones like 3xxmb are going but slow) when I try, at first goes normally but then stops and the hdd also stops to be recognized and I have to replug the usb port again, however the strange is that the hdd is receiving normally files of any size and with the usual speed the problem only appears when I try to transfer from it to another hdd D=

ps:all hdds are in NTFS
Do you have problems transferring to your internal HDD?
Could be a controller issue, or power issue.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 11:16   Link #4
karuroso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Does it do the same for any usb port or other computers even? I'm no expert but it sounds like it could be some kind of reading issue, the write sounds to be functioning fine. But yeah if it's not a connection or configuration issue, then the drive could be failing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Do you have problems transferring to your internal HDD?
Could be a controller issue, or power issue.
I think now it's a problem with my pc because I tried with other ports and the result was the same, but when I tried with another pc it worked normally, another strange fact that I noticed with this hdd is that it also does the same when I try to seed various files from it ,the torrent stops working and the hdd as well but download works normally. Only this hdd is doing this and only with my pc D=
Old 2013-03-26, 12:28   Link #5
sa547
*Author

What's the hard disk brand in question? I got leery of Hitachis as they don't last long.

Last edited by sa547; 2013-03-27 at 03:47.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 12:46   Link #6
karuroso

samsung hd204ui
Old 2013-03-26, 14:05   Link #7
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
I think now it's a problem with my pc because I tried with other ports and the result was the same, but when I tried with another pc it worked normally
Sounds like the problem is with your PC's HDD, not the external. Run a diagnostic using the manufacturer's website (you typically have to download and burn the file to a CD and run it at boot, very simple). I found out my old one was full of bad sectors this way.

edit: lol it was also Hitachi. Seems the only ones that have lasted for me have been WDs.
Old 2013-03-26, 15:11   Link #8
karuroso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Sounds like the problem is with your PC's HDD, not the external. Run a diagnostic using the manufacturer's website (you typically have to download and burn the file to a CD and run it at boot, very simple). I found out my old one was full of bad sectors this way.

edit: lol it was also Hitachi. Seems the only ones that have lasted for me have been WDs.
Can I also use chkdisk to do it? at the Samsung website i found this http://www.seagate.com/support/exter...ls-win-master/ it doesn't seems to need to create an image.
Old 2013-03-26, 16:28   Link #9
Alchemist007
*Author

Chkdisk won't be as thorough. I'd try that link, if it diagnoses, then it's doing what you need.
Old 2013-03-26, 16:35   Link #10
karuroso

Thanks =D I'll try
Old 2013-03-27, 11:41   Link #11
karuroso

I tried the program and I did all the scans that didn't warned to make a backup before ,for internal I did long generic and short drive self test and for the external I did short generic and short drive self test and the result was all ok and now I can transfer files to my internals but I can't transfer from this external to any other external hooked , all the other externals are working without any problem