AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Old 2009-08-04, 08:44   Link #141
Kanish

I personally preferred the first series more simply because it took itself more seriously. FMA is by nature a dark anime, so it's hard to accept chibis popping up every 5 seconds. Not that I don't like brotherhood(In fact, I loved it as well), but if you want a truly heart rending experience, watch the first season first.
Kanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 09:23   Link #142
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanish View Post
I personally preferred the first series more simply because it took itself more seriously. FMA is by nature a dark anime, so it's hard to accept chibis popping up every 5 seconds. Not that I don't like brotherhood(In fact, I loved it as well), but if you want a truly heart rending experience, watch the first season first.
Heh, you've seen nothing yet.

Give it another 10/15 episodes, and you won't be saying that anymore.
Old 2009-08-04, 09:59   Link #143
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Quote:
I found that the first series had sometimes illogical developments. The story was too much based on emotions. In the end I was left heart broken by the conclusion (almost cried). This time I find brotherhood very rationnal and intelligently planned (my science love crawling up).

Well I have a question can anyone tell me if there is an official site of Fullmetal Alchemist in any language except japanese?
Old 2009-08-04, 10:00   Link #144
Vicious108

Quote:
But you're making the mistake of assuming the first series' take on FMA is its correct "nature". The manga came first and its brilliant mix of comedy, drama and action is what can be called FMA's nature. The first anime series decided on its own to go overboard on the drama and mostly ignore the other two aspects, and it's alright to enjoy it but assuming that its way of doing things is the correct one is a no-no. The light hearted FMA you see in Brotherhood is the series' very creator's vision of it, so if there's anything that can be called FMA's nature, it's that.

And if you like dark FMA that much, don't worry cause Brotherhood has yet to reach its darkest parts. Just wait till you learn and see more of the Ishval stuff.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-05, 03:20   Link #145
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

Are omake present in all the volumes of FMA?
Old 2009-08-05, 03:35   Link #146
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazzy Angel View Post
Are omake present in all the volumes of FMA?
Yes. Some volumes have more then others though.
Old 2009-08-05, 21:43   Link #147
Kanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight
The light hearted FMA you see in Brotherhood is the series' very creator's vision of it, so if there's anything that can be called FMA's nature, it's that.
Haha, ok. You managed to get me over a technicality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazzy Angel
I found that the first series had sometimes illogical developments. The story was too much based on emotions. In the end I was left heart broken by the conclusion (almost cried). This time I find brotherhood very rationnal and intelligently planned (my science love crawling up).
Really. Because I thought the first series did a better job of introducing most of the characters instead of just letting them fall out of the sky like in this one. I also thought many scenes such as lab5 and Hugh's death were better handled in the first series. I suppose it all comes down to personal preference really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
Heh, you've seen nothing yet.
Can't wait.
Old 2009-08-06, 07:49   Link #148
GaimeGuy

that's because they unfortunatley probably don't have the time to provide fleshed out intros for all the characters in brotherhood due to an episode limit of ~50, although some of the characters do come out of nowhere in the manga, too(ie: Finding Ling collapsed in an alley).

also, the 5th lab had a whole bunc hof other stuff going on in the first anime than in the manga.. it's where the story really gets going TBH.

Hugh's death is a catalyst for springing mustang into action in the manga, as well as a way to amplify the mystery/conspiracy feeling surrounding the homunculi and their control over the military.

In the first anime, it's more of a death for the heck of it, for emotional impact.
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 07:53   Link #149
Vicious108

The first series turned the first 15 chapters into 25 episodes, taking a lot of time with stuff, so it's only natural that their renditions of certain events and character introductions would feel better, since they had more time to work with them.

But don't worry, as Shiroth said, you've seen nothing yet. Brotherhood will go places the first series didn't even dream of.
Old 2009-08-06, 08:28   Link #150
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Is brotherhood actually following the manga well? Because I've only watched the first few episodes of it and kinda quit when the priest turned himself into King Kong. I also didn't like how Ed and Al met Hughes way before they should have.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 12:01   Link #151
Kanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy
In the first anime, it's more of a death for the heck of it, for emotional impact.
No! As far as I remember, the events leading to Hugh's death and it's consequences were the same.(Except for Ross getting tried)

Quote:
The first series turned the first 15 chapters into 25 episodes, taking a lot of time with stuff, so it's only natural that their renditions of certain events and character introductions would feel better, since they had more time to work with them.
Aaah. I hope this means the ending events will be better fleshed out as the first series seemed to run away with the story towards the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedan
Because I've only watched the first few episodes of it and kinda quit when the priest turned himself into King Kong
Come on. Why would you even watch it if you expected it to be exactly like the first series. Also, you've got it wrong. Story wise, the Elrics meet Hugh a lot later than they did in the first series.
Old 2009-08-06, 12:41   Link #152
GaimeGuy

Quote:
No! As far as I remember, the events leading to Hugh's death and it's consequences were the same.(Except for Ross getting tried)

Aaah. I hope this means the ending events will be better fleshed out as the first series seemed to run away with the story towards the end.

Come on. Why would you even watch it if you expected it to be exactly like the first series. Also, you've got it wrong. Story wise, the Elrics meet Hugh a lot later than they did in the first series.
hughes was killed because he found out juliet douglas's identity... from that, he deduced the obvious conclusions about bradley, as well (that they were homunculi)
GaimeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 13:35   Link #153
Vicious108

Quote:
You haven't even begun to see the consequences of Hughes' death in Brotherhood.

You've gotten a little hint though. Remember when Roy asked Barry the Chopper if he had been the one to kill a military officer near a phone booth? The look he had in his eyes then, it's foreshadowing to the consenquences that death will have on Mustang's character. Trust me, it'll be much better than any of the consequences in the first series (which were... none).
Old 2009-08-09, 11:49   Link #154
Kanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy
hughes was killed because he found out juliet douglas's identity...
Woops...my bad. It's been almost two years since I saw the first series.

Quote:
You haven't even begun to see the consequences of Hughes' death in Brotherhood.
Just watched ep18 and I have to say I like that Mustang and co are taking action much sooner than they did in the first series.
Old 2009-08-09, 11:51   Link #155
Vicious108

And they'll see much more action too. In the first series Roy and his crew barely ever did anything, it was obvious that the animators had no idea what to do with them.
Old 2009-08-09, 12:25   Link #156
Kanish

Yeah! Riza's finally gonna see some action instead of standing in Roy's shadow all the damn time.
Old 2009-08-09, 13:15   Link #157
Kirarakim

Quote:
Yeah! Riza's finally gonna see some action instead of standing in Roy's shadow all the damn time.
Yep Riza is a great character in the manga. In the first anime I did not really care about her one way or the other. In the manga she is one of my favorite characters. But all of Roy's subordinates really get to shine in the manga. Arakawa doesn't leave any character out.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-09, 16:34   Link #158
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I wouldn't even say she's standing in Roy's shadow, not at all. She's her own character, and she's been portrayed like that since the beginning of the manga.

Also, hope you're not on about the fan fiction first series again.
Old 2009-08-09, 17:16   Link #159
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Also, hope you're not on about the fan fiction first series again.
The first series is pretty different to this one, and to the manga, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's inferior. It has its good moments and its bad moments, pretty much like this one.

If Kanish like the first one better, that's his choice. I actually like it better too, at least the first 20 and so episodes. If you like this rendition better, great for you. But don't think that anyone else has to think the same as you. Like Kanish said, it all comes down to personal preference.
Old 2009-08-09, 17:23   Link #160
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The first series is pretty different to this one, and to the manga, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's inferior. It has its good moments and its bad moments, pretty much like this one.

If Kanish like the first one better, that's his choice. I actually like it better too, at least the first 20 and so episodes. If you like this rendition better, great for you. But don't think that anyone else has to think the same as you. Like Kanish said, it all comes down to personal preference.
I never said Kanish can't have his/her own opinion. As you can see from my post, i am stating my own personal opinion, and not forcing it on anyone. It's just that when talking about character personalities, there's no point at all in talking about the first series, especially these days.