AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-14, 15:57   Link #401
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

And episode 02 didn't disappoint in the least

Spoiler for Episode 02:
Old 2011-07-14, 16:27   Link #402
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
And episode 02 didn't disappoint in the least

Spoiler for Episode 02:
Well, it seems we don't yet have a rapist... But we got something close.

I still need to remind myself that there isn't suppose to be a single normal human in this show. So I expect the teacher to have surprises of his own.
Old 2011-07-14, 17:11   Link #403
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I still need to remind myself that there isn't suppose to be a single normal human in this show. So I expect the teacher to have surprises of his own.
I drew the same conclusion after this episode. A normal (plain?) looking girl turning out to be the kind to--

Spoiler for ep 02:
Old 2011-07-14, 19:52   Link #404
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

gg subs are out.
Old 2011-07-14, 21:31   Link #405
Forsaken_Infinity

Spoiler for ep 2:
Old 2011-07-14, 22:20   Link #406
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Episode 2 was a very fun watch for me.

Additional thoughts below:

Spoiler for Mawaru Penguin Drum Episode 2:
Old 2011-07-14, 23:05   Link #407
brocko

Only 5 mins in and already Rock Over Japan shows up lol Imaaagggiiinnneee~
There's probably a rule somewhere stating the more intricate the transformation sequence, the more it needs to be repeated

Spoiler:

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2011-07-14, 23:19   Link #408
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I spent about 20 minutes trying to imagine what possible functions all those buttons could possibly have for a toilet, and gave up before my head exploded.
Old 2011-07-14, 23:46   Link #409
4Tran

While episode 2 wasn't as mind-blowing as the first one, I thought it was still fantastic. Easily the funniest anime I've watched all year.

Spoiler for Episode 2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Spoiler for ep 2:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Only 5 mins in and already Rock Over Japan shows up lol Imaaagggiiinnneee~
There's probably a rule somewhere stating the more intricate the transformation sequence, the more it needs to be repeated
There is - it's called the Utena rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I spent about 20 minutes trying to imagine what possible functions all those buttons could possibly have for a toilet, and gave up before my head exploded.
It's not that unusual for fancy toilets in Japan to come with bidets. See wikipedia for details.
Old 2011-07-15, 00:12   Link #410
sa547
*Author

Was doubling over and laughing hard! This episode demonstrates how to combine mindscrew with some sense of humor, with the penguins for added comic relief.
Old 2011-07-15, 01:14   Link #411
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

Quote:
Really?
I know she turned out to be weird, but that is about it. The sister herself's personality isn't exactly "abnormal" nor are the brothers.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2011-07-15, 01:18   Link #412
Blaat

Episode one wowed me more but episode two was more entertaining (how contradicting this may sound).
I particularly enjoyed the sibling interaction, Sho is an excellent straight man and the penguins are very amusing to watch (especially #2).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2011-07-15, 01:25   Link #413
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

This ep was indeed hilarious and yet strangely serious at the same time. It kept me roped along the whole way, and I was starting to be lead into believing it was a light hearted affair and they were just mistaken in thinking Ringo had the Penguin Drum, but then that curveball ending came and through me completely out of the loop. I couldn't make out whether what was happening was serious or just comedic. I guess we have some snooping to do for little hints in the episode to point us towards the correct path. Anyway, I'm still confused as to wtf is going on lol. And like, it's a completely different confused than what Star Driver made me, which can just be attributed to bad/lazy writing in failing to properly explain the set up of the organizations in the story. Here, the confusion is just...genius.

Oh yeah, any respectable weeaboo should have long realized and known this, but just in case, Ringo=Apple in Japanese. And the character Ringo here is apparently a starch believer in fate, as opposed to Kanba and Shouma. We know that in Penguindrum the Apple represents the universe so...idk lol. Maybe it means in our universe fate is real and certain, and to try and go against it would make you not of this world, or un-human? Which goes in-line with Kanba's monologue in the end of last episode.
Old 2011-07-15, 01:28   Link #414
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I think the penguin princess is trolling them...
Old 2011-07-15, 01:48   Link #415
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
This.

Also it seems that whatever is keeping Himari alive is what the princess is taking out of Kanba. At least, that is the impression this episode gave me.
Old 2011-07-15, 01:55   Link #416
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hey, who hasn't uttered those immortal words: Are you trying to steal my octopus-shaped wieners?

This was a much sillier episode, but Ringo certainly took it to a very dark place at the very end - somewhat shocking tone shift there. I still think this is a fascinating mess more than a classic at this point, but it grabs your attention like few other shows can.
Old 2011-07-15, 02:50   Link #417
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
The only question isn't if the Princess is the enemy, but if there is an even worse enemy than her that the brothers had to worry about.

Because I once thought that Ringo might have a chance of being an ally. But now... I am not so sure.
Old 2011-07-15, 03:09   Link #418
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Maybe it means in our universe fate is real and certain, and to try and go against it would make you not of this world, or un-human? Which goes in-line with Kanba's monologue in the end of last episode.
i was thinking around similair lines. which makes me curious about himari's fate--they can't look for the penguindrum forever.

anyway, excellent second episode. the light-hearted-turned-dark episode reminds me a lot about utena, specifically the wakaba episodes
Old 2011-07-15, 03:22   Link #419
Kagura89

Quote:
Because I once thought that Ringo might have a chance of being an ally. But now... I am not so sure.
Who in the right mind want a stalker to be an ally.

And here I thought Akira Ishida character to be some kind of suspicious guy but instead we get to know that Ringo is a stalker. Props to Kanba because he has good taste on women lingerie, as expected from a siscon/pimp.
Old 2011-07-15, 03:30   Link #420
hoarfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Homosexuality is counterproductive to survival because same-sexes can't breed. So, homos in this series would basically be the antagonists working to thwart The Princess of Crystal's survival strategy. Sure is social commentary.

I don't really wanna have the whole debate about it (I have it enough in other places) but since it seems semi-relevant to the matter at hand, homosexuality occurs naturally in hundreds of species for survival purposes. Some animals are known to form homosexual couples to adopt abandoned children and some studies show that the more children of the same gender a woman has, the higher the chance of each successive one being homosexual, probably for population control. A species that just grows exponentially won't last long, so in that sense population control would be a "survival strategy".
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism