3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2019-06-09, 10:56   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Attack on Titan - Episode 56 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Attack on Titan, Episode 56.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-09, 16:48   Link #2
eceso

question, every link I've come across has this episode at a little under 16 minutes

that can't be correct, right ?

or was this episodes length cut short ?
eceso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-09, 16:59   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Be sure to watch the scene after the ED. It's the most important and interesting scene of the whole episode. Probably raises more questions than it answers, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eceso View Post
question, every link I've come across has this episode at a little under 16 minutes

that can't be correct, right ?

or was this episodes length cut short ?
It's the same length as usual.
Old 2019-06-09, 20:42   Link #4
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

That scene they thought key was the door felt like some trolling from Isayama for the few seconds of minidespair. It's awesome the anime finally got to the basement. I think it took them 6 years if I'm correct.
Old 2019-06-10, 01:50   Link #5
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Here we are

Spoiler:
Old 2019-06-10, 14:36   Link #6
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I really thought, as Eren was reaching to open the basement door, how fun it will be if the key didn't actually open the lock, then it freaking happened! That alone made the 6 year wait worth it

They even made sure to show them walking around towards the prize rather than directly cut to when they're at the basement door, that's a nice touch.

Maybe we'll get some long overdue answers about this world next episode, I could've checked out the source material years ago but where's the fun in that?
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-10, 15:30   Link #7
Wandering Soul

It's sort of funny how they trick you at first into thinking that the key doesn't fit and carrying it around for all these years would turn out to be pointless.

So apparently Grisha comes from a WWI like setting that is vastly more technologically advanced than the one we have been following.
Old 2019-06-10, 16:02   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I have to say, this show can be surprisingly mature when it wants to be. I quite like the walk Eren and Mikasa took to their house. Not a word was said and not a word needed to be said.

That said it was kind of annoying that I now have to wait another week for some damn answers. The photograph and the blimp was cool because I didn't know humanity outside the walls were that advanced but we already knew civilisation existed outside the walls so that wasn't new in anyway.

Looks like we're in for a sad backstory for Eren's father. He certainly wasn't subtle about how ominous things would get. I'm going to go ahead and assume that his little sister dies some horrible death, presumably eaten by titan. I'm not asking for spoilers though.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-29, 22:25   Link #9
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The Basement

When comparing ourselves to the world, then we're just tiny bugs living on borrowed time and cannot fathom the many dangers and marvels with which we live everyday.

We believe that our lives move on unceremoniously and thinking to ourselves that what our eyes can see pretty much sums up our environment. Then, you wake up one morning that something that should not be there or sticking out of the place appeared out of nowhere, and that something instills within you a sense of fear due that it has defied your sense of conformism and knowledge.
One moment you thought you knew your world, then at the next an incident happened that forced you to face the limitations of your knowledge. Hence, rethinking your position at how small you are in comparison to the rest of the unknown world will be inevitable.

RIP Erwin, you died with your subordinates in other to lead humanity to the greatest discovery of their existence. Your death was not in vain due that humanity finally found out the answers you yearned for in life.

With everything said and settled regarding Armin feeling insecure and anxious whether he will be up to the task, along with Hange, for them to fill on Erwins' shoes or not, the awaited moment couldn't be delayed anymore.

I do agree that the anime, unlike the manga, did not cut straight up to the basement but instead the animators took the time to build the pacing as we watched Eren and Mikasa walking the deserted streets of the ruined Shinganshina. Their walking their way to the end goal awoke within them memories of their childhood like seemingly happened just yesterday and yet so distant and fleeting.
The build-up was appreciated for both it delivered a layered sense of tension as our characters were reaching the ruins of the Yeager home and to remind the audience how much our heroes lost that day not only loved ones and their home but also their childhood as well.

And, yes, I thought how brilliant Isayama was trolling both his characters and the audience:
1. First, the key not fitting inside the lock of the door leading to the entrance, until Levi forced the way by kicking it open.

2. Second, the drawer seemingly empty at first, until Levi (again) pointed out the fake compartment where underneath lied the journals left by Grisha Yeager.

Double trolling, and yet put into effective use.

Anyways, with Erwin gone it was naturally for Hange assuming the position as the next commander of the Survey Corps, hence, she naturally had to accompany both Eren and Mikasa to be there at the unveiling of the truth. Finally, Levi came as well I suppose because he took on the burden of Erwin's wish to see the truth for himself as a way to owe Erwin back and be there for that moment in Erwin's stead.

What they found out from what Grisha left was that not only the human race has survived from beyond the walls but thriving as well in an advanced civilization.

From what looks to be the start of a memory story arc with a young Grisha as the protagonist, my initial reaction is of both shock and amazement at how the cruel and unforgiving world of Attack on Titan has unfolded and expanded its boundaries and settings vastly beyond the walls.
Guido is online now   Reply With Quote