AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-24, 12:21   Link #621
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
I must say that after almost 2 years of being absent from the anime world this one brings me back to life!

I just love those crazy and unique designs, and of course this brilliant Ikuhara humour

I think that this thread needs more fabulous graphics. All found on pixiv:

Spoiler for Fabulous MAX:

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Old 2011-07-24, 12:52   Link #622
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Things I learned while watching episode 3:

-HURRAY FOR CURRY!!!!!
-The atmosphere of this show is vaguely voyeuristic with a strong undercurrent of sexual tension in just about every scene.
- This show likes to show people dressing and undressing....a lot!
-HURRAY FOR BLOODY CURRY!!!!!

So that was basically a rather roundabout way of getting Ringo hooked up with the main crew. I have to wonder if she has incestuous feelings for her older brother that was seen in the one flashback. He had stars all around him and she seemed to be looking up at him in a and he bore more than a passing resemblance to the teacher she has a crush on. Perhaps a future plot point.

As of 3 episodes this show remains firmly entrenched in the "okay" category for me. It's an alright show, no overt strengths or overt weaknesses, just pretty solid if extremely strange all around (I like this kind of strange though) and even kind of funny at times. There's no longer any doubt that I'll be keeping this one. I sort of see what people are saying about Ikuhara. I too am starting to sense a steady, knowing and directive hand behind what initially looked like a pretty chaotic and directionless show.
Old 2011-07-24, 13:09   Link #623
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So that was basically a rather roundabout way of getting Ringo hooked up with the main crew. I have to wonder if she has incestuous feelings for her older brother that was seen in the one flashback. He had stars all around him and she seemed to be looking up at him in a and he bore more than a passing resemblance to the teacher she has a crush on. Perhaps a future plot point.
A passing resemblance to the teacher? It was her teacher. We don't know how he's connected to Ringo's family, but Ronny's speculation makes a lot of sense.
Old 2011-07-24, 14:03   Link #624
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
A passing resemblance to the teacher? It was her teacher. We don't know how he's connected to Ringo's family, but Ronny's speculation makes a lot of sense.
Okay I assumed the person at her table was her brother or something. Indeed why was he even there when she was only 11 then?

I should admit that I've been terrible at memorizing the names of the male characters in this show, possibly because they haven't mentioned them much, but also possibly because I keep getting distracted by the busy animation details and stylings. Like if someone were to ask me to repeat back the names of the two main brothers I honestly couldn't even tell them even though they are main characters. I can tell people the sisters name is Himari though for how often it's mentioned and I can tell people the girl they are stalking is named Ringo as well.

Kind of hoping we get a little bit more clear development for the characters in the coming episodes now that we seem to be more or less done with their introductions and showcasing their quirks of which their are many. I think it's the one thing this show is missing right now that could rapidly push me out of the "it's okay" reaction to the show I have going on now and into the "it's good" category. No huge rush, but I'd like it if they'd get on that by at least episode 06 at the latest otherwise that feeling from the first episode of being jerked around by the plot might come back again.
Old 2011-07-24, 14:21   Link #625
Slick_rick

Great Episode. Wasn't as good as 2 or 1 but still solid. I thought it funny that Kanba called Ringo a freak when referring to her stalking Tabuki while of course we know about his escapades with Himari at night. He's the last person that should be judgmental of another.

I also like the juxtaposition of the seating when Ringo goes to Tabuki's home. The real girlfriend sits in the spot she imagined herself in. I thought it a nice touch. I thought though her becoming so close friends with Himari a little bit forced but Himari is a bit open so I didn't dislike it that much. Loved the milk drinking though as random and funny as you'd expect from Ikuhara.

Quote:
Okay I assumed the person at her table was her brother or something. Indeed why was he even there when she was only 11 then?
He's a family friend. He mentions saying hi to Ringo's mother in episode 2. Not to mention he's not even a teacher at her school but at Sho and Kanba's all-boys school. She has no other way to know him but outside of school. How he exactly came to know her family might be a more interesting question though.
Old 2011-07-24, 14:38   Link #626
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Things I learned while watching episode 3:

-HURRAY FOR CURRY!!!!!
-The atmosphere of this show is vaguely voyeuristic with a strong undercurrent of sexual tension in just about every scene.
- This show likes to show people dressing and undressing....a lot!
-HURRAY FOR BLOODY CURRY!!!!!
Let's not forget those crotch shots.

Yep, like I suspect. They must have had curry for lunch before they started this episode.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-07-24, 14:41   Link #627
Kirarakim

I expect we will get more character development/insight as the series goes on but in 3 episodes I think we have gotten a lot of clues to who these characters are: at least in the case of Ringo, Kan, and Sho.

I am hoping Himari will turn out to be more than the sweet younger sister. But otherwise I think characterization is right on target for a series that is only 3 episodes in.

Also as for Voyuerism, two of my favorite films deal with the topic: Rear Window & Peeping Tom. But I don't know if this anime will deal with the topic head on. That would be cool if it did though.
Old 2011-07-24, 23:57   Link #628
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
That stalker, Ringo is out of her fucking mind, not only she was grabbing a boiling hot pot, she jumped out of the window with it, and as if that was not enough, she was walking home (probably) without any footwear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Reusing the same scene over and over again is essentially reenforcing certain themes and feelings. So you're in tough luck if you dislike it. I for one find them amusing, especially with the subtle changes that occur on repeats.
Reusing the same scene over and over again is essentially saving the animation budget, as well as stick figures in the background, chibi advertisements, etc. That said it does not hurt the quality, since it can be done quite artistically as SHAFT has shown these last few years.
Old 2011-07-25, 00:20   Link #629
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Has anyone tried to make curry with apples? Tell me if it taste any good
Old 2011-07-25, 04:41   Link #630
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
That stalker, Ringo is out of her fucking mind, not only she was grabbing a boiling hot pot, she jumped out of the window with it, and as if that was not enough, she was walking home (probably) without any footwear
I know right, then she's got that crazy look in her eye when she's plottin', Ringo freaks me the heck out. Fortunately just when I think this show is getting a lil' to dark those penguins show up, they're so darn cute.
Old 2011-07-25, 05:03   Link #631
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
Speculation buddy: Having some fun here
Speculation buddy: March 20, 2006 - Ringo falls in love with Tabuki
Speculation buddy: Mirai Nikki manga - January 26, 2006 - December 27, 2010
Speculation buddy: Ringo read it~
Speculation buddy: Read the manga, found the diary
Speculation buddy: "omg it's a future diary"

And of course Yuno had to be her favorite character

Yuno is still the Yandere Queen but Ringo is starting to give her a run for her money.
Old 2011-07-25, 11:34   Link #632
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Anyone know the gender of the pink hair guy/girl in the OP....?

If she is a girl,then i really hope she will have some of Utena's traits. After watched Penguin ep 1, i decided to get on through Utena series (including OVA) for the past few weeks and it's simply too epic to not paying homage to
Old 2011-07-25, 11:40   Link #633
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Anyone know the gender of the pink hair guy/girl in the OP....?
At the moment we have no idea. I personally think the pink haired character is male.
Old 2011-07-25, 12:48   Link #634
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
I know right, then she's got that crazy look in her eye when she's plottin', Ringo freaks me the heck out. Fortunately just when I think this show is getting a lil' to dark those penguins show up, they're so darn cute.
The penguins are creepy too, aside from the fact that they make me think that the two brothers are the dying delusions of Himari, as part of her survial strategy; last episode we had one penguin choking for the full duration of it, while another had a paper glued on its face... breathing? WTF? Oh! and then we have the third manic-obsessive one trying to erradicate all insect of the planet with dangerous chemicals (at the rate at least he is using them)... and one of them is also crossdressing

All that said, I love the show; it's beyond absurd and surreal, no wonder Ikahura, wanted to make a film with my favourite director, David Lynch
Old 2011-07-25, 13:00   Link #635
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Reusing the same scene over and over again is essentially saving the animation budget, as well as stick figures in the background, chibi advertisements, etc. That said it does not hurt the quality, since it can be done quite artistically as SHAFT has shown these last few years.
That goes without saying o.0, but that doesn't mean they are going to reuse any random scene, does it? They reuse sequences that are central to the theme and portray a sense of awe (and were quite well animated with erm... lots of frames and stuff but still). Are you telling me you didn't get a certain feeling everytime "Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku" rolled on screen? ._.
Old 2011-07-25, 13:10   Link #636
Ziziphus
Whatever

So, nobody wonders why Ringo conveniently has the same pot as the one in the teacher's house?

Also, I find it interesting that in the last scene, Ringo was wearing the same clothes Sho was wearing in ep 1:
Spoiler for pics:

Why not give her Himari's clothes instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
At the moment we have no idea. I personally think the pink haired character is male.
Yeah, I think he looks male too.
Old 2011-07-25, 13:47   Link #637
Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziziphus View Post
So, nobody wonders why Ringo conveniently has the same pot as the one in the teacher's house?
Destiny. There is still possibility that there IS a specific force of FATE playing a big role here, and not just in vague words, but as in "inevitable destination".
Old 2011-07-25, 20:37   Link #638
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
The penguins are creepy too, aside from the fact that they make me think that the two brothers are the dying delusions of Himari, as part of her survial strategy; last episode we had one penguin choking for the full duration of it, while another had a paper glued on its face... breathing? WTF? Oh! and then we have the third manic-obsessive one trying to erradicate all insect of the planet with dangerous chemicals (at the rate at least he is using them)... and one of them is also crossdressing

All that said, I love the show; it's beyond absurd and surreal, no wonder Ikahura, wanted to make a film with my favourite director, David Lynch
Well...Number 2 didn't really choke on anything. He simply just ate that Japanese dried plum things, which is famous for being really sour (hence his face turn to like that). While Number 1 was stuck with a glue mouse trap

PS: On Ronny speculation,i want to add that,is it possible that Ringo actually is an adopted child following her "sister" death. Her family could be killed and she could be amnesia following that metro sarin gas attack. That's why she didn't know about her "sister" and about the diary (orshe was too small when she was adopted)

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-07-25 at 21:57.
Old 2011-07-26, 12:23   Link #639
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

*see's screenshots of this anime*

Oh well this looks interesti

*watches two episodes*

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?!

edit: Just watched episode 3.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?!

Aside from a crazy stalker at work.

edit#2: A crazy stalker with a diary that outlines the future?

Dammit. I'm fucking hungry now. I'm gonna get some lunch and forget about this series until it starts making more sense, another episode comes out, or when I have nothing better to think about.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2011-07-26 at 12:47.
Old 2011-07-26, 18:11   Link #640
sa547
*Author

^
You've just seen the first three of the next possible best sleeper hit of the year (the first being PMMM), sir.

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism