AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-27, 05:47   Link #181
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Wontaek voting Shana?

Anyways, fantasy for those three are blaringly obvious.
Shana, Hanyuu, Nagi.

80-20
65-35
58-42
The only character I would vote over Shana from Strawberry Panic would be Herr Feldmarschall Minamoto Chikaru. I am surprised that you thought Nagi wouldn't get over 60% in that match. I believe Hayate fans to outnumber Bakemonogatari fans by margin of around 2 to 1.

The nomination is almost upon us and now, it is time to finalize the list and go into next phase. My list is as follow. The big change is dropping of Hanato Kobato and elevating Tsuchimiya Kagura

1. Saten Ruiko ( A Certain Scientific Super Electronic Gun ) : A rather complicated, yet in another sight very humane character. She is cute, with rather decent 'assets'.

2. Sakurazaki Setsuna ( Magical Teacher Negima?! ) : You guys all know my fetishes.

3. Kuronuma Sawako ( Hoping to reach you ) : She is the type that is ' Soft on the outside, but firm in the inside ". Despite various weakness, she shows strong resolve whenever it is needed. She can be cute as well.

4. Isara Gunther ( Valkyria Chronicles ) : Engineering Beauties are precious.

5. Isayama Yomi ( Servant Spirit Zero ) : I have a soft spot for the tragic heroine.

6. Amamiya Yuuko ( EF ) : No way will I ignore Maetel lookalike angel.

7. Mizunashi Akari ( ARIA ) : Let's accomplish the Aquamarine Miracle.

8. Shihou Matsuri ( SOLA ) : There is much to like about her. May be the best role by Noto Mamiko.

9. Tsukamoto Yakumo ( School Rumble ) : Imouto Moe!!!

10. Tsuchimiya Kagura ( Servant Spirit Zero ) : Byakuyei is merely an option.

and if we do go to 12

11. Toudou Shimako ( Holy Mary watching you ) : She is a goddess. White Rose for the Win!!!

12. Chiba Kirino ( Bamboo Blade ) : Unfurl the Golden Lion Flag!

Last edited by wontaek; 2009-12-27 at 06:44.
Old 2009-12-27, 12:09   Link #182
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
...I think Hanyuu will win because Hanyuu herself has shown how much power she has...
That's the thing. I think Hanyuu will lose because Hanyuu herself has NOT shown that she has power at all. It's obvious that's I'm having the same stance on Hanyuu as when Demi. said Fate will lose to <insert any character besides Nanoha here> in DE then making excuses saying that MSLN is unpopular.
Old 2009-12-27, 13:09   Link #183
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Spoiler for Tidy:
Damnit percentages. My Excel capabilities are nil, and I can't pinpoint percentages for the life of me, so I'm just going with whatever random number pops up in my head.

Shana (77%) > Tamao (23%) - I realized 5 minutes after I wrote Tamago that I spelled her name wrong. Since this isn't Jmoe, I would reckon that's a pretty good indicator of the difference in popularity between these two lovely girls....
Hanyuu (52%) > Saten (48%) - This can really go either way, and I'm not going to underestimate Saten when she's in such a popular show as Railgun. Still, Higurashi has an established fanbase, so I'm going with her on this one. Also, see below.
Nagi (60%) > Nadeko (40%) - Hayate is still quite strong as of current. But even if Bakemonogatari's is stronger, it doesn't change the fact that Nadeko existed only in, let's see, about 4 episodes. Not to mention her arc had some horrible production issues too.

Quote:
Hanyuu being from Higurashi didn't factor into my choice at all. I think Hanyuu will win because Hanyuu herself has shown how much power she has. Saten hasn't had any matches yet so I do base her strength on other characters from her series. Misaka was a fairly weak character for most of ISML 2009. She recived a massive boost thanks to Railgun but that only brought her close Hanyuu. Index and Railgun character were just that weak before Railgun came out. Saten is a popular character but she's going to be a tier of strength weaker than Misaka which in turn means she isn't close to Hanyuu. I'm sure Hanyuu has bad matches like everyone else, but it would take something like the Rozen Maiden collpase in ISML 2009 DE for Saten to have a chance. Hanyuu isn't exactly weak. Boosting Misaka to Hanyuu's level is a pretty good feat. However, it takes more than that to start pushing secondary characters into the upper tiers.
Time trudges on mercilessly, while Higurashi's fanbase (and inevitably, Hanyuu) continues to wane, and Railgun's continues to wax. In terms of character importance within their respective series then, Hanyuu is argubly even lower than Saten, such that should Railgun ever match Higurashi, theoretically Saten would have more exposure than Hanyuu herself. No matter how strong a character may seem, no doubt it's extremely hard to withstand the test of time. Sooner or later, freshmeat blood will bound to take the old one's positions.
But of course, as of this moment, Hanyuu should probably still in the lead. It's not like it's easy to flip a shrine maiden's long dress anyway!
Old 2009-12-27, 14:39   Link #184
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

We're running out of avatars, so only 2.

Today's Fantasy. Which characters do you think would win in 2010? Percentages are welcome.

Old 2009-12-27, 14:47   Link #185
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

From a while ago. I don't think anything has changed, though I'm behind on Unimeko right now.

Hmmm. (There have been only two ISMLs so far...the rules just keep changing slightly)

Kana Minami - Minami-ke - 2007 (Because she's done fairly well in Saimoe dispite lossing early on)
Haruka Minami - Minami-ke - 2007 (Because "Haruka is Amazing")
Mio Akiyama - K-On! - 2009 (Has more potential than what was shown in Saimoe...should be on par with Yui)
Yuki Mori - Space Battleship Yamato - 1974 (old school moe)
Maetel - Galaxy Express 999 - 1978 (old school/sad girl moe)
Beatrice - Umineko no Naku Koro ni - 2009 (Beatrice is moe...if you can't see it, you will)
Shannon - Umineko no Naku Koro ni - 2009 (another Kugimiya Knight in training/touching scenes)
Tessa Testarossa - Full Metal Panic! - 2002 (Return to us)
Ryoko Achakura - The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya - 2009 (chibi-Ryoko is cute and paired with Yuki is practically half the show)
Usagi Tsukino - Sailor Moon - 1992 (for the hell of it/semi-old school moe)

Alternates:

Chiyo Mihama - Azumanga Daioh -2002 (If "Osaka" can't, why not try the moe one of the group?)
Sakaki - Azumanga Daioh - 2002 (Tall/cool moe)
Satoko Hojo - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - 2006 (left out so many times)
Maria Ushiromiya - Umineko no Naku Koro ni -2009 (Cute...when not going insane)
Ange Ushiromiya - Umineko no Naku Koro ni - 2009 (You'll see)
Old 2009-12-27, 15:50   Link #186
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
That's the thing. I think Hanyuu will lose because Hanyuu herself has NOT shown that she has power at all. It's obvious that's I'm having the same stance on Hanyuu as when Demi. said Fate will lose to <insert any character besides Nanoha here> in DE then making excuses saying that MSLN is unpopular.
I can't agree with that at all. Hanyuu has wins over Ayu, Ami, Louise, Illya, Fuuko, Sakura, Minori, Rena and Sayuri. All of those characters would easily beat Saten or at least be the favorite to win. Hanyuu also has a couple of fluke high tier performances like coming close to beating Taiga and Nanoha and satying above 45% against Fate.

Fate really did look that bad going into DE last year. My stats going into DE had Fate above just Nanoha and Kagami and tied with Taiga. Fate did go on to beat Suigintou but that was way more Suigintou falling off the face of the Earth than underestimating Fate.

Quote:
We're running out of avatars, so only 2.

Today's Fantasy. Which characters do you think would win in 2010? Percentages are welcome.

Rin looked good at the end of last year. She was stronger than the less popular Clannad girls and should be stronger than Ushio as well. Yui versus Tsukasa is also a bit tough. I think Yui has enough to take the win, but it'll be close.

Ushio (CL) [46.43%] vs Tohsaka Rin (FSN) [53.57%]
Hirasawa Yui(K-ON) [51.32%] vs Hiiragi Tsukasa (LS) [48.68%]
Old 2009-12-27, 16:19   Link #187
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

That's funny, because I see Saten beating all Kanon, even Mai, and Rena, also Ilya.
Old 2009-12-27, 16:54   Link #188
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
The only character I would vote over Shana from Strawberry Panic would be Herr Feldmarschall Minamoto Chikaru. I am surprised that you thought Nagi wouldn't get over 60% in that match. I believe Hayate fans to outnumber Bakemonogatari fans by margin of around 2 to 1.
Uh, I'd say Bakemono has more hype and popularity than Hayate no Gotoku. Nadeko is still a character with minimal screentime though, if it was Hitagi I'd have predicted her to win.

Quote:
Blame stats for me coming to that conclusion, but it is what it is.
The only evidence you have of it being popular is Fate's performance, but Vita and Hayate are rather significant characters and they do horribly. Why? Because they don't have name recognition like Fate or Nanoha, and their series popularity only hurts them even more.
Old 2009-12-27, 16:55   Link #189
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
That's funny, because I see Saten beating all Kanon, even Mai, and Rena, also Ilya.
Then you have way more respect for Saten's strength than I do. Even Relagation Tournament Misaka would have problems beating Illya and would go about even with Rena.

How strong do you think Saten is compared to Misaka? I don't mean in a head to head matchup since Misaka would crush Saten and make her look worse than she really is. I mean how much worse (or better?) than Misaka do you think Saten would do against a neutral third character of close strength (like Nayuki, Chii or Reimu or something like that).
Old 2009-12-27, 17:15   Link #190
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
...I don't mean in a head to head matchup since Misaka would crush Saten and make her look worse than she really is....
You see, I already disagree with that statement. Right now, both of them are at even strength. But later, Saten will have less screentime, depending on how JC does it.
Old 2009-12-27, 17:17   Link #191
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Spoiler for Tidy:
Rin (56%) > Ushio (44%) - What TRE said++
Yui (56%) > Tsukasa (44%) - Both are moeblobs. One is recent, one is ancient. One is completely a main character, one is less of a main character.

EDIT:
Quote:
Right now, both of them are at even strength.
...Why do you think so? It seems to me that Mikoto has been exploited much more, and has made a much stronger impression on people than Saten ever has.
Old 2009-12-27, 17:19   Link #192
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
I can't agree with that at all. Hanyuu has wins over Ayu, Ami, Louise, Illya, Fuuko, Sakura, Minori, Rena and Sayuri. All of those characters would easily beat Saten or at least be the favorite to win. Hanyuu also has a couple of fluke high tier performances like coming close to beating Taiga and Nanoha and satying above 45% against Fate.

Fate really did look that bad going into DE last year. My stats going into DE had Fate above just Nanoha and Kagami and tied with Taiga. Fate did go on to beat Suigintou but that was way more Suigintou falling off the face of the Earth than underestimating Fate.

Rin looked good at the end of last year. She was stronger than the less popular Clannad girls and should be stronger than Ushio as well. Yui versus Tsukasa is also a bit tough. I think Yui has enough to take the win, but it'll be close.

Ushio (CL) [46.43%] vs Tohsaka Rin (FSN) [53.57%]
Hirasawa Yui(K-ON) [51.32%] vs Hiiragi Tsukasa (LS) [48.68%]
No matter how I look at it, it looks like a serious case of underestimation.

Ushio almost lost to Kyons sister, and Yui is a potential top 16 candidate.

Rin and Yui should win relatively easy, with at least the very least a 10% margin to spare.
Old 2009-12-27, 17:42   Link #193
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

1 Shana
2 Hanyuu
3 Nagi

Though I admit Im willing to give Saten (btw Sateeeeeeen wwwwww <33) a fair chance and Im havent seen Nadeko in Bakemono yet.

4 Rin because Rin is hot ohohoho yes most stupid reason to vote for ever.
5 Tsukasa because I like her more.

Yes Im going to suck horribly again in fantasy. And percentages are so elitist (゜┐゜)
Old 2009-12-27, 17:47   Link #194
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
You see, I already disagree with that statement. Right now, both of them are at even strength. But later, Saten will have less screentime, depending on how JC does it.
Then we really do have very different ideas on how strong Saten is. If Saten really is as strong as Misaka, I would give her a good chance at beating Hanyuu and the other characters you said you thought Saten could beat. I just think there's no way Saten is close to Misaka in strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
No matter how I look at it, it looks like a serious case of underestimation.

Ushio almost lost to Kyons sister, and Yui is a potential top 16 candidate.

Rin and Yui should win relatively easy, with at least the very least a 10% margin to spare.
I forgot about Ushio's match. That was pretty bad. Defintely drop Ushio by about 8 to 10 percentage points. Yui is defintely top 16, but I think you're underestimating Tsukasa. Shana and Tomoyo barely broke 60% on Tsukasa. If you want to drop Tsukasa's percentage by 10 points, Yui becomes one of the toprunners to win the contest. That may turn out to be true, but I won't buy it until Yui actually has a match to show her stuff. I could probably stand to increase Yui's margin of victory by 2 or 3 percentage points, though.
Old 2009-12-27, 18:00   Link #195
hinakatbklyn

Shana and Nagi I don't see losing. Hanyu may still be the favorite, but Ruiko does have some potential and the railgun series is still current. I give her a minor advantage (Action/comedy over horror is usually my way of voting even if the character is strong in the series).

Can't really speak for anyone else, but the slow speed of the Index series as well as some horror aspects put Misaka Mikoto and any other major characters at a disadvantage. (I didn't get past the first 5 episodes of Index. I should of kept going.) I don't see that happening with the railgun series. (Much better)

(Edit): I'm going to add in Rin Tosaka and Yui

Last edited by hinakatbklyn; 2009-12-27 at 18:49. Reason: More voting choices
Old 2009-12-27, 18:35   Link #196
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

The thing is I believe that Railgun is the Clannad of saimoe this year. That may turn out to be wrong, but I'm just getting the Toradora vibe now.

Also, Index series, what? Railgun =/= Index, and Railgun is currently anything but "slow" and "horror."
Old 2009-12-27, 19:34   Link #197
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
The thing is I believe that Railgun is the Clannad of saimoe this year. That may turn out to be wrong, but I'm just getting the Toradora vibe now.

Also, Index series, what? Railgun =/= Index, and Railgun is currently anything but "slow" and "horror."
I think I may still be underestimating how much more respect you give to the Railgun series than me. Just how strong do you think post-Railgun Misaka and Saten are? Top tier Clannad and Toradora is a tier of strength above Hanyuu.

We've already seen what a month of Railgun anime has done for Misaka from the Relagation tournament and it was a fairly large boost. However, I also think that that was the bulk of the boost she's going to get from Railgun.
Old 2009-12-27, 19:40   Link #198
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

I'm only getting a vibe of Toradora, not the whole feeling. I seriously think Saten is around #20-22 on a 50-character scale where #25 is 0.500. But like I said, from now until April, Saten's screentime will be reduced a whole lot, unless JC Staff changes things.

EDIT: I still think Hanyuu will win, but more along the lines of wontaek, where a random episode boost can give Saten the win.
Old 2009-12-27, 20:18   Link #199
chaosprophet

Well with the noms really near, I guess it's safe to say that this is my final list:

Evangeline Athanasia Katherine McDowell - Mahou Sensei Negima!
Kagurazaka Asuna - Mahou Sensei Negima!
Hasegawa Chisame - Mahou Sensei Negima!
Mizunashi Akari - Aria
Chiba Kirino - Bamboo Blade
Perrine-H. Clostermann - Strike Witches
Hecate - Shakugan no Shana
Kate - Sketchbook
Yin - Darker than Black
Sawako - Kimi ni Todoke

I'm very sorry but those following three that I planned to nominate before are going to be left behind:

Kobato - Kobato
Yuuki Mikan - To-Love-Ru
Akatsutsumi Momoko - Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z

Quote:
2. Sakurazaki Setsuna
3. Kuronuma Sawako
7. Mizunashi Akari
I greately approve!! :P

Quote:
1. Saten Ruiko
4. Isara Gunther
5. Isayama Yomi
10. Tsuchimiya Kagura
I approve!

Quote:
12. Chiba Kirino!
A Kirino was left behind, so sad ;-;.
Old 2009-12-27, 20:56   Link #200
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Then we really do have very different ideas on how strong Saten is. If Saten really is as strong as Misaka, I would give her a good chance at beating Hanyuu and the other characters you said you thought Saten could beat. I just think there's no way Saten is close to Misaka in strength.

I forgot about Ushio's match. That was pretty bad. Defintely drop Ushio by about 8 to 10 percentage points. Yui is defintely top 16, but I think you're underestimating Tsukasa. Shana and Tomoyo barely broke 60% on Tsukasa. If you want to drop Tsukasa's percentage by 10 points, Yui becomes one of the toprunners to win the contest. That may turn out to be true, but I won't buy it until Yui actually has a match to show her stuff. I could probably stand to increase Yui's margin of victory by 2 or 3 percentage points, though.
Tsukasa still ranked 25th. Perhaps she's strong enough to not get raped by the top-tier, but Yui who should place between 8-14th place should certainly put more of a beating on Tsukasa than 3%. 56-44 would be my guess.

On another note, I don't see Railgun being anywhere near the strength of Clannad, or Taiga. Kotomi will be a tad too much (54-46%) for Misaka, and the other (main) Clannad will straight up beat her down.

Tags
contest, isml, saimoe, tournament, voting