AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-08-14, 12:31   Link #161
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Sachi's older than him. Kirito's a middle schooler and most people he meets are in high school or older. And the reason he struggles so hard to protect people is because Sachi died. He didn't struggle hard enough to protect her, he just gave her reassuring words. That's his basic character arc from volume 1.
Understood, same with the comments above, my point is that any of the times where he showcased being brave, he was "brave" but not simultaneously "smart" about being brave.

Debating whether something is a "trait" or "flaw" is not something that makes sense, as obviously it's subjective and my point is that calculating / analytical characters are "generally" not heroes in the true sense of the word in shounen-type series. The only ones that come to mind are Lelouche (anti-hero), Katsuragi (TWGOK, not really shounen) and Yamato (Majikoi) -- so therefore these "flaws" as I call them are typically not viewed as such.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 12:37   Link #162
M1sFyr3
I eat babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algester View Post
and he might be a closet Masochist how in the hell did he pump up his unarmed combat to level 900+ just imagine what he does fighting monsters with bare fists without any sword skills max skill points in SAO is 1000
LOL, didn't even notice that
M1sFyr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 12:40   Link #163
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1sFyr3 View Post
LOL, didn't even notice that
In volume one there's brief description of how he uses it in combat. He mixes in shoulder tackles between sword skills to confuse the monster AI.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 13:53   Link #164
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Debating whether something is a "trait" or "flaw" is not something that makes sense, as obviously it's subjective.
It really isn't though. This stuff is taught in college and has its specific rationales and foundations.

I just wanted to point that out. This is way off-topic here so let's move on.
Old 2012-08-14, 14:01   Link #165
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algester View Post
and he might be a closet Masochist how in the hell did he pump up his unarmed combat to level 900+ just imagine what he does fighting monsters with bare fists without any sword skills max skill points in SAO is 1000
There are unarmed sword skills, so it's alright.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:41   Link #166
Archmagination2002

Quote:
Now I'll admit.
Spoiler for Phantom Bullet:
That super rare avatar he got? Wasn't really luck..
Spoiler for Avatar:
Archmagination2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-18, 19:44   Link #167
Clarste
Human

Spoiler:
Old 2012-08-19, 10:15   Link #168
kazzuya13

By the way guys I am both reading the Ln and watching anime however there is something I don't know
Spoiler for Question:
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 15:45   Link #169
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Spoiler for ln:
Old 2012-08-19, 15:50   Link #170
Clarste
Human

Upgrading armor isn't usually narratively important. As an MMO, we should expect him to be upgrading his equipment regularly. Presumably a monster dropped it or he asked someone to make it. He's had different clothes in almost all the episodes so far.

Spoiler for LN:
Old 2012-08-19, 16:21   Link #171
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Spoiler for Sound_of_Water,_Sound_of_Hammer (side story):
Old 2012-08-19, 17:08   Link #172
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
By the way guys I am both reading the Ln and watching anime however there is something I don't know
Spoiler for Question:
Spoiler for Answer:
Old 2012-08-19, 18:00   Link #173
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmagination2002 View Post
That super rare avatar he got? Wasn't really luck..
Spoiler for Avatar:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-08-19, 18:37   Link #174
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-08-26, 16:05   Link #175
Edgardes

You consider the Kirito as a passive character?
Edgardes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 09:44   Link #176
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
Spoiler for Question:
Spoiler for Volume 10, but no Volume 10 related stuff (just about the sword):

I summarized a list of Kirito's strengths and flaws:
1. Master of Game Memory
Floor 1 Boss uses Nodachi? No biggie, he's memorized ALL the Katana sword skills. (not spoilered because this is an LN SS detail that's not mentioned.) This is the reason for ALL of his awesomeness. (including memorization of every single detail about stuff he had abused so much. Details require LN spoilers.)

2. Plot Luck
Let's see.... I don't think I should explain it do I? Meeting 5 pseudo-harem girls (in the LN 7... no 8 depending on your choice). Getting ridiculous stuff that's supposedly rare. However, when he abuses this, it creates a problem called Plot UnLuck.

3. Scarred Protectiveness
In Aincrad, when you're a party member with Kirito, he'll NEVER allow you to go to a dangerous situation without the necessary failsafe. This was one of the inevitable results of RNR...
Spoiler for Vol 1 or Last Aincrad Eps [Floor 75]:

4. Determinator
He. does. not. simply. give. up. Seriously!

5. Genre Savvy
LN spoilers aside, Kirito implicitly knows several anime cliches. Let's see... his answer to Scilica when he saved her... how he says stuff is... awfully similar to some manga/anime lines... however this can often go for bad edges; see spoiler:
Spoiler for Caliber SS (Fairy Dance SS):

=====
Flaws:
1. His BSOD lasts longer
No, he has never truly recovered from the scars he had incurred. Even if he did, he took him a long time to do so. He has never ever truly recovered from the events in RNR. He laments the fact that the reason he was in Aincrad in the first place was because he stayed away from his family...
Spoiler for Vol 1 [Last Aincrad Eps]:

Spoiler for Fairy Dance or [Alfeim Online Arc]:

2. Simply Too Rash
He simply takes mysteriously or ridiculously suspicious offers too affirmatively. No, not going to take a walk in the LNs again.

3. Plot UnLucky (could be an extension of Simply Too Rash)
Spoiler for RoTS [Floor 3]:

4. Imouto Complex
Speaks for itself Causes...
Spoiler for Fairy Dance:

5. Irresponsibility
He didn't took Klein's offer because he didn't want to take responsibility for Klein's friend's deaths. He didn't tell his level in RNR because he didn't wanna take the responsibility of his own fears (being called a Beater, etc.) After RNR though, he might have taken over most of this negative insight, but assumed a more "Hero" style approach...

6. Not Thrifty
This is one of the reasons he's ALWAYS broke, both in Aincrad (during the late eps), and after the GGO Arc. (sure it helps for a certain someone, but come on..! )

7. Overconfidence
Spoiler for Compilation of all Big Bad Battles:

...if you have stuff to add then add it! :3
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 10:47   Link #177
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Spoiler for Volume 10, but no Volume 10 related stuff (just about the sword):

I summarized a list of Kirito's strengths and flaws:
1. Master of Game Memory
Floor 1 Boss uses Nodachi? No biggie, he's memorized ALL the Katana sword skills. (not spoilered because this is an LN SS detail that's not mentioned.) This is the reason for ALL of his awesomeness. (including memorization of every single detail about stuff he had abused so much. Details require LN spoilers.)

2. Plot Luck
Let's see.... I don't think I should explain it do I? Meeting 5 pseudo-harem girls (in the LN 7... no 8 depending on your choice). Getting ridiculous stuff that's supposedly rare. However, when he abuses this, it creates a problem called Plot UnLuck.

3. Scarred Protectiveness
In Aincrad, when you're a party member with Kirito, he'll NEVER allow you to go to a dangerous situation without the necessary failsafe. This was one of the inevitable results of RNR...

4. Determinator
He. does. not. simply. give. up. Seriously!

5. Genre Savvy
LN spoilers aside, Kirito implicitly knows several anime cliches. Let's see... his answer to Scilica when he saved her... how he says stuff is... awfully similar to some manga/anime lines... however this can often go for bad edges; see spoiler:
Spoiler for Caliber SS (Fairy Dance SS):

=====
Flaws:
1. His BSOD lasts longer
No, he has never truly recovered from the scars he had incurred. Even if he did, he took him a long time to do so. He has never ever truly recovered from the events in RNR. He laments the fact that the reason he was in Aincrad in the first place was because he stayed away from his family...
Spoiler for Vol 1 [Last Aincrad Eps]:

Spoiler for Fairy Dance or [Alfeim Online Arc]:

2. Simply Too Rash
He simply takes mysteriously or ridiculously suspicious offers too affirmatively. No, not going to take a walk in the LNs again.

3. Plot UnLucky (could be an extension of Simply Too Rash)
Spoiler for RoTS [Floor 3]:

4. Imouto Complex
Speaks for itself Causes...
Spoiler for Fairy Dance:

5. Irresponsibility
He didn't took Klein's offer because he didn't want to take responsibility for Klein's friend's deaths. He didn't tell his level in RNR because he didn't wanna take the responsibility of his own fears (being called a Beater, etc.) After RNR though, he might have taken over most of this negative insight, but assumed a more "Hero" style approach...

6. Not Thrifty
This is one of the reasons he's ALWAYS broke, both in Aincrad (during the late eps), and after the GGO Arc. (sure it helps for a certain someone, but come on..! )

7. Overconfidence
Spoiler for Compilation of all Big Bad Battles:

...if you have stuff to add then add it! :3
To be fair to Kirito I would have done the same thing if my chances of getting an upgraded weapon were that high in an MMO
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 14:16   Link #178
Lycodrake

Are people still claiming Kirito is a Gary Stu?
Get over it. If you dislike him and can't stand that the series focuses on him, read something else.
Old 2012-08-31, 14:24   Link #179
dmaxzero

In his shoes I wouldnt have been such a good person... He is the main char and has to live to some standarts after all... blame the author XD
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 17:47   Link #180
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxzero View Post
In his shoes I wouldnt have been such a good person... He is the main char and has to live to some standarts after all... blame the author XD
i disagree.... it's rather easy to become a "good person" in an MMO.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters