AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-10-08, 01:15   Link #181
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
So, for those who're getting their games unlocked soon... Got names reserved for your cannon, I mean, perspective squaddies yet?
You know,

We could just compile a list of all the posters on this thread and then use those as the names of our soldiers in game

Then if something goes south we can blame it on one or the other here on this thread.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 01:57   Link #182
jedinat

I haven't been following this game at all; thought it was just an FPS sharing the name Xcom or something for the longest time. Am I right to expect something like Valkyria Chronicles?
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 02:35   Link #183
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I haven't been following this game at all; thought it was just an FPS sharing the name Xcom or something for the longest time. Am I right to expect something like Valkyria Chronicles?
That fps game got pushed back after the outcry, and is being rebuilt in a way that would supposedly stop pissing people off.

This one is closer to what we are looking for.

It's not exactly the same, but I am wiling to consider it Xcom4.
Old 2012-10-08, 03:18   Link #184
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
The FPS XCOM is the one made by 2K Marin (known for the Bioshock series), and has been reset as a third-person squad shooter for release in 2014.

This game, XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis, is a turn-based tactics/strategy game that does bear some resemblances to Valkyria Chronicles yes.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 04:56   Link #185
JohnNiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
You know,

We could just compile a list of all the posters on this thread and then use those as the names of our soldiers in game

Then if something goes south we can blame it on one or the other here on this thread.
Brilliant!
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:25   Link #186
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

And now a look at ALL DEM REVIEWS

Gaming Bolt Review

God Is A Geek Review

Games TM UK Review

Edge Online Review

The Verge Review

Lazy Gamer Review

Strategy Informer Review

Machinima Review

Official Playstation Magazine UK Review

Now Gamer Review

Destructoid Review

Official Xbox Magazine Review

VideoGamer Review

CVG Review

Giant Bomb Review

PC Gamespy Review

Eurogamer Review

Kotaku Review

Rock Paper Shotgun Review [10-08]

Joystiq Review

Gamer.NL Review (Dutch)

Rev3Games Review

GamesRadar Review

Game Informer Review

From all the scores, looks like it's doing very, VERY WELL.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 10:37   Link #187
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Look like the game is leaked? I saw some people on steam had an archivement from the game.
Old 2012-10-08, 20:02   Link #188
Key Board
Carbon

achievement and trophies were leaked a month ago

the industry is very bad at keeping these things a secret

it's not just Xcom
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 21:25   Link #189
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That fps game got pushed back after the outcry, and is being rebuilt in a way that would supposedly stop pissing people off.

This one is closer to what we are looking for.

It's not exactly the same, but I am wiling to consider it Xcom4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The FPS XCOM is the one made by 2K Marin (known for the Bioshock series), and has been reset as a third-person squad shooter for release in 2014.

This game, XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis, is a turn-based tactics/strategy game that does bear some resemblances to Valkyria Chronicles yes.
I see, two different games. Thanks guys.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 02:43   Link #190
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Pre-ordered. Can't play for a few more days. Will likely play on Normal difficulty and deliberately try to play a "perfect" game. Will abuse save/load button. I play strategy games not for the challenge, but for abusing the program like a tyrant. May decide to have 6 of every class maxed out. Will see it if it possible to win with nothing but snipers.

I am told that this game does NOT have a rubber-band difficulty, which is good. This means I can actually gain the upper hand without the game deciding to cheat to catch up.
(X-com Apocalypse did have rubber-band difficulty, which caused me to deliberately cause property damage every month to lower the game alert level)
Old 2012-10-10, 03:11   Link #191
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

SoS. Anyone know any tactics to take down Sectopods effectively? Those things are steam rolling my troops.
Old 2012-10-10, 06:52   Link #192
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
SoS. Anyone know any tactics to take down Sectopods effectively? Those things are steam rolling my troops.
You need special abilities. Like the one sniper's got that disables the weapons, and the different class one that does double damage against robot enemies.

At least that's what I have been told. I haven't gone that far, I am just preparing. (And yes, I am playing; I had my game unlocked early. I paid for it, no reason to wait.)
Old 2012-10-10, 09:48   Link #193
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Thanks, I never knew disabling shot works on mechanical enemies. The bad thing is I don't having any Heavies that have the bonus damage skill against mechanical targets.
Old 2012-10-10, 14:12   Link #194
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Damn, and I didn't get disabling shots or double damage for any of my elite guys.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 14:21   Link #195
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
And now a look at ALL DEM REVIEWS

<snip>

From all the scores, looks like it's doing very, VERY WELL.
From the widespread knowledge of this game, maybe the developers have retired A51 agents and they are preparing us for a REAL alien attack......

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 16:29   Link #196
Blaat

Well I've learned some humility: starting my first game ironman on xcom difficult was... not smart. I got owned to say the least.
Old 2012-10-10, 16:55   Link #197
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Well I've learned some humility: starting my first game ironman on xcom difficult was... not smart. I got owned to say the least.
I'm horrifically laughing at everyone who thought this game wasn't going to be casualty intense because of the smaller squad cap.
Old 2012-10-10, 18:28   Link #198
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm horrifically laughing at everyone who thought this game wasn't going to be casualty intense because of the smaller squad cap.
This is helped by the fact that the AI is VERY smart. They don't cheat like in the original, instead they just are dangerously clever.'
Old 2012-10-10, 18:44   Link #199
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
This is helped by the fact that the AI is VERY smart. They don't cheat like in the original, instead they just are dangerously clever.'
well it also helps that the enemy AI are pretty damn good shots. They have really good odds of hitting you even in cover.

Though a particularly insidious cause of casualties is exploding cars. Those things are the biggest pieces of cover on the street in urban maps, but dear lord. You had better be constantly checking them out to make sure that one isn't burning and about to explode next turn. Always gotta be careful for something setting it off.

I think the most frustrating aspect of this was once when I had my guys camping out what I thought was the burning husk of a car...turns out it was actually an explodable car, but since it had already burning, I didn't notice the engine block catching fire.

Killed a VIP. Was so rage worthy!
Old 2012-10-10, 19:57   Link #200
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Just had my first terror mission today, Chrysalids really get the adrenaline pumping with how dangerous they are. Instant death if they get in melee range makes them pretty brutal. Restarted the mission out of annoyance when my Sniper missed a 81% chance shot to finish one before it got into melee range.

Tags
science fiction, turn-based strategy